The weather has finally turned in Southern California. I was expecting to have some form of autumn, but it went from 88 degrees last Thursday to in the low 60s today. This week's drink might have been more suited to the hotter weather, but we'll soldier on! This week's Siglocktail is the Mint Julep. Famous around the world for being the preferred cup to have at the Kentucky Derby, it normally comes in a stainless steel cup. I didn't have those, but the drink is still tasty anyway, so don't let that stop you either! Livestream is tonight at 6pm PST and we'll be toasting with these. Feel free to make this one (send us pics here if you do!) but as ever, you drink whatever you like best, or nothing at all, no worries! MINT JULEP RECIPE: Ingredients:
- 4 to 5 mint leaves
- 2 sugar cubes (or 1/2 ounce simple syrup) [Production note: I used superfine sugar in the video, but will likely use simple syrup moving forward!]
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon whiskey
- Garnish: mint sprig
Mad Scientist Process of Assemblyâ„¢:
Watch SIGLERinPLACE live at
- Place the mint leaves and sugar or simple syrup into a Julep cup, Collins glass, or double old-fashioned glass.
- Muddle to well combine both ingredients.
- Add bourbon or rye to glass.
- Stir well, to dissolve sugar and mix ingredients.
- Add crushed ice and stir until your cup frosts.
- Garnish with mint sprigs.