All your vodka are belong to us!
This month we’re focusing on vodka for our SIGLERinPLACE Siglocktails. It’s classic, easy to mix, and a great vehicle for fruity, flavorful, summery drinks.
This week we’re making the Serious Eats version of the Salty Dog. It’s bright and fresh and can be made with any kind of grapefruit!
As ever, livestream is tomorrow night at 6pm PST and I’ll make this drink just as our show starts. Feel free to make this one (send us pics here if you do!) but as ever, you drink whatever you like best, or nothing at all, no worries!
SERIOUS EATS “THYME FOR A SALTY DOG” RECIPE:
This cocktail can also be made with gin, but I think vodka gives the fresh lime juice a fresh, crisp bite without changing the subtle flavor!
For thyme simple syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 sprigs thyme
For the cocktail:
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt, for glass rim
- 1 lime wedge
- 3 ounces freshly squeezed pink grapefruit juice from 1 grapefruit
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 ounce Thyme Simple Syrup
- Lime wheels or thyme sprigs for garnish
Mad Scientist Process of Assembly™
- For the Thyme Simple Syrup:
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add thyme, and allow to steep 15 minutes.
- Strain into airtight container. Thyme Simple Syrup can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
- For the Cocktail:
- Pour salt on a small saucer. Run lime wedge around the outer rim of a Collins glass and roll glass in salt to coat outside rim. Set aside.
- Combine grapefruit juice, vodka, lime juice, and thyme syrup in cocktail shaker.
- Fill shaker with ice. Shake until well chilled, about 15 seconds.
- Fill salt-rimmed Collins glass with fresh ice and strain cocktail into glass. Garnish with thyme or lime if desired.
- If you have fresh basil leaves but no thyme, roughly tear 3 or 4 and add to your shaker for a fresh, garden-y twist!
- If you’re a purist, leave out the thyme and lime, rim the glass with salt, and revel in the beachy perfection of the Salty Dog.
Watch SIGLERinPLACE live at
Continue Reading →