This topic contains 28 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sadock 4 years, 1 month ago.

Sigler Reading Order

• @scottsigler stated:

Nope, DESCENDANT is not written. Starting to wonder if it ever will be. If I do write it, it takes place immediately after ANCESTOR, so it will be free of any PANDEMIC-related issues.

Arioch is saddened by this news. ANCESTOR is far & away my favorite story arc. Every Junkie has theirs, and I *think* for most folks, it’s EARTHCORE. Go ahead and sue me, but I adore Holstein cattle; the idea of them turning the tables (ie who eats who) on humanity is irresistible to me. It was this Podiobook that hooked me into the Siglerverse in 2006 and it’s been a magnificent journey since then. I was stoked when ANCESTOR won the election to be the third book Scott wrote for Crown. I even did a micro portion of the ANCESTOR tour with @phantomreverie. I repeatedly flummoxed Scott when I arrived at the front of the line with the book I was having him sign at each tour stop. That will remain an invaluable memory until the day I die.

So, while I’m disappointed to hear that DESCENDANT may never see print, I understand that choices have to be made. For all I know, ANCESTOR may have sold significantly worse than the other four Crown novels. It would make zero sense to pen the 2nd book of a duology if the first part sold poorly. Also, as @scottsigler and @arealgirl have stated repeatedly over the years, there’s absolutely no way that Scott will be able to author all of the stories in his head now, much less anything that occurs from now on. So it’s a simple matter of business triage combined with author preference. Scott & A have to look at the numbers & Scott has to decide which story in his head is screaming “Write ME!!!” the loudest, and then go from there.

Awesome! If it gets written, I was wondering how it would happen. Timeline wise anyway.

@occupy_my_rocktopi: Nope, DESCENDANT is not written. Starting to wonder if it ever will be. If I do write it, it takes place immediately after ANCESTOR, so it will be free of any PANDEMIC-related issues.

So is Descendant written and just not published? Wouldn’t/couldn’t/shouldn’t the events of Pandemic affects the plot of that book?

I know, I know.
    Scott was the first EVER audio book I have ever listened to in my life, he broke my cherry! And how can I forget that. We shared a moment and as a result, no other author can even get close! (creeping enough?)

@scottsigler sighed:

Yes, it’s true … sometimes people go astray.

At least he had the good taste to consume your work before thy nemesis, the Hutchinnnnssesses!!!!

@sadock: Yes, it’s true … sometimes people go astray.

@alanwooler commented:

You guys are funny.

Thank you, sir. We aim to amuse.

…. didn’t realise the 7th Son was a trilogy, and I only get to listen to audiobooks for around 1hr 30min a day on week days (while I drive to and from work) so I may be a bit of time before I can come back to Scott ad his great work. I have Podiobooks set as a main favourite in Chrome and have added 100+ books to my phone ready. I can’t believe how many books they have on there.
    Anyhow, thanks all for your help and bringing a smile to my face while I read your comments.

Actually, J.C. Huchinsssssss’ 7th Son series wound up being a tetralogy since he wrote 7 Days as a prequel, and then there’s also 7th Son:Obsidian which is an anthology with contributions from authors across the podosphere. That’s what @scottsigler penned EuSocial Networking for.

<don scolding cap> What?!?! You’re abandoning our beloved Dark Øverlørd? You blasphemer!! Who hath tempted you away from Siglerism???? They must die! Dispatch the plaid tanks post haste </doff scolding cap>

Yes, I fell in love with Podiobooks.com shortly after I discovered them, and that was back when they only had 80-120 novels. Now I think they’re up in the 250-300 range. The whole concept of listening first and paying what you believe the book is worth afterwards is brilliant IMHO. On top of that, @evoterra & Chris somehow manage to keep their operating expenses low enough that the authors get 75% of whatever you choose to pay. It’s a beautiful system. If only more things in the world could work out so well for all parties concerned 😉

You guys are funny.
    Thanks @DanielGonzales, yes, sadly I have to do audio books rather than reading. It is very odd as I have read 3 books in my life (1x Steven King & 2x James Herburt) but each book took me about a year to read each book as my memory just can’t take in what I read the night before. What is really odd is I (as a side line business) create programs for people in Visual Basic and also in C++ for Arduino projects. It is very odd how the brain works.
    Anyhow, Love reading you comments and didn’t realise the 7th Son was a trilogy, and I only get to listen to audiobooks for around 1hr 30min a day on week days (while I drive to and from work) so I may be a bit of time before I can come back to Scott ad his great work.
    I have Podiobooks set as a main favourite in Chrome and have added 100+ books to my phone ready. I can’t believe how many books they have on there.
    Anyhow, thanks all for your help and bringing a smile to my face while I read your comments.

@sadock mea culpa’d:

Thanks for calling me on it!

Not a problem. Snark-for-snark is hardly a bitch-slap. 😉

@bigjohn quite appropriately bitch slapped @sadock:

Yes, I remember. <snark> You do recall that other people who may not know that are reading this thread, too? </snark>

Right you are, good sir. That’s totally my bad. Apologies.

The boards have had such a dearth of Junkie participation since I’ve been back, so I often forget that they are in fact a public forum. It frequently feels more akin to some sort of private chat room when there’s only a few of us participating month to month. Hopefully, the Junkie horde will return someday, so I must remember to keep the correct method of address. Thanks for calling me on it!

Thanks @bigjohn, for the intel on the Ancestor prequels. Turns out, I did listen to those podcasts. I remember, now, thinking it was odd that those scenes were not in the book when I later bought it. Makes sense now.

I don’t see anything in the story that indicates that – is there something that ties it in to the Siglerverse that I missed?

As, for Beam Up…. In my mind this was part of the GFL timeline because it takes place on a Venus space station hundreds of years in the future (camels have been extinct for centuries) and the Octagon references and just the feel of it in general. The liner notes, however, identify this as a ‘non-Siglerverse tale”. I stand corrected.

And I agree, Title Fight is the only GFL era Novella available as a podcast (aside from Passenger and The Crypt which are included in other works) – something I think @alanwooler will appreciate since he prefers audio.

D

@sadock snarked:

you do recall that I was still the Producer of Døøm for Blood is Red, right?

Yes, I remember. <snark>You do recall that other people who may not know that are reading this thread, too?</snark>

@sadock inquired:

Seriously, I was actually asking about the anthologies where @scottsigler only contributed a single story rather than those where they are all authored by him.

Gotcha. No, as far as I know, those individual stories are not read by Scott. With the new order of things, Scott has said he’s only going to do the GFL books and Hunter Hunterson; his schedule just won’t allow him otherwise.

@alanwooler inquired:

: Bit of a question about “Ancestor Prequel 1″ and ones like it you said that they are/were podcasts but hard to find. Probably a silly question, but do any of you know where I might find a copy? Would love to listen to everything that I can.

@bigjohn labeled a few things that way that really aren’t that hard to find. He corrected himself about the Ancestor prequels, I corrected a couple, and I think one other Junkie caught a couple. I’m pretty sure there are actually only 7 podcasts that are difficult to get, and only 4 of those are stories.

You can grab nearly all of Scott’s audiobooks (all but The Champion & Pandemic) free from Podiobooks if you don’t mind a few ads:

http://podiobooks.com/search/?q=sigler#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=sigler&gsc.page=1

Thanks guys for all your help on this. I am currently listening to 7th Son (I know, how dare I listen to somebody else!) and as soon as I am done, I will come back to you list and get going.

Bit of a question about “Ancestor Prequel 1” and ones like it you said that they are/were podcasts but hard to find. Probably a silly question, but do any of you know where I might find a copy? Would love to listen to everything that I can.

Thanks all
    Alan

@bigjohn answered me:

Generally, yes. Blood is Red is read entirely by Scott……Fun enough, the Hunter Hunterson $15 burger story can be heard, narrated by Junkies at the inaugural SiglerFest…..

<snark>
    Ummmm, John, you do recall that I was still the Producer of Døøm for Blood is Red, right? And how much did you have to drink that Friday back in 2011? It must have been more than I thought. Did you and @athanas have a drinking bout that I forgot about? I remember something about a championship belt….. Not only was I there for the awesome all Junkie cast Hunter Hunterson $15 Burger story; I recorded and produced it so Junkies worldwide could enjoy it!
    </snark>

Seriously, I was actually asking about the anthologies where @scottsigler only contributed a single story rather than those where they are all authored by him. So if I’m reading your list right, that would be the anthologies Games Creatures Play, The End is Nigh, The End is Now, The End has Come, V-Wars: Blood & Fire, Robot Uprisings, & Help Fund My Robot Army.

@sadock pondered:

Do you know if Scott reads his own stories in any of the various anthologies?

Generally, yes. Blood is Red is read entirely by Scott. But for Bones are White, Chuckles Mulrooney is read by Alec Volz, and Beam up on Aisle Five is read by Justin Robert Young from the NSFW podcast.

Fun enough, the Hunter Hunterson $15 burger story can be heard, narrated by Junkies at the inaugural SiglerFest at Balticon at this link:
    http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/p/9/c/6/9c6fa38697c25a95/29_FridayFix___SiglerFest_2011_Hunter_Hunterson__the_15_Burger.mp3?c_id=3421471&expiration=1427339386&hwt=401ff00a309372ac70d66b642258be24

The Bones are White audiobook has Scott reading the $15 Burger story, but in my opinion, nothing beats @wifepick as BettyLou.

@sadock elucidated:

I’m assuming @bigjohn left out the books which have been rewritten to avoid confusion.

Correct. I left out the original stories that have been republished under formal Crown contract, as they are no longer canon. I have never heard the Perry Podcasts, so I don’t know where they fit in or if they have been incorporated into the canon.

you missed “You’re a Damned Fool, Charlie Brown” in Bloodcast Season 2.

Yes, this one I missed. I got a little confused trying to map the short stories to the Color Series.

I’m guessing the one you have labeled as “Kissyman” is actually “Kissyman & Screamin’ Jesse Dupre” from Season 2, correct?

Correct. I couldn’t remember the full name.

When I posted the topic, I had neglected to check Podiobooks.com to see what was there. I think they don’t have THE CHAMPION because it is currently being podcast, and it will probably end up there once it is complete. No idea about Pandemic.

@bigjohn commented:

Other anthology stories available through audiobook retailers, but only as a complete anthology

Do you know if Scott reads his own stories in any of the various anthologies?

@gonzoid61 commented:

there are three “Perry’s Podcast” podcasts that are a prequel to Infected.

Good catch. I didn’t mention those because I thought they were grouped with the original Infection, and became obsolete when the FDØ rewrote it as Infected. They’re mostly Scott playing DJ as Perry, but a true Junkie would probably want them if they can get them. I’m assuming @bigjohn left out the books which have been rewritten to avoid confusion.

@bigjohn asked us to:

Anyone else feel free to add anything else I forgot!

You caught “The Torpedo” yourself, but you missed “You’re a Damned Fool, Charlie Brown” in Bloodcast Season 2. I’m guessing the one you have labeled as “Kissyman” is actually “Kissyman & Screamin’ Jesse Dupre” from Season 2, correct?

@bigjohn claimed:

The Crypt Stories (Novella: The Crypt: Book One (podcast only, hard to find)

Actually, you can get Book 01 here:

http://podiobooks.com/title/the-crypt-book-01-the-crew/

but “Shakedown,” the first two parts of Book 02, are quite hard to find.

And if you want Kissyman & the Gentleman, you can grab that here:

http://podiobooks.com/title/kissyman-and-the-gentleman/

Okay, I’m not going to do them all, but it looks like most of @scottsigler‘s books are up now (I think all but The Champion & Pandemic), and you can grab them all free from this search page:

http://podiobooks.com/search/?q=sigler#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=sigler&gsc.page=1

Sorry for the links you have to copy & paste, but our forum’s link button doesn’t work, so I had to insert them as plain text 🙁

@gonzoid61 wrote:

1) if I’m not mistaken, “Beam Up on Aisle Five” is in the GFL Siglerverse. You have listed as a “Non-Siglerverse” story.

I don’t see anything in the story that indicates that – is there something that ties it in to the Siglerverse that I missed? I suppose @scottsigler could sound off, too.

2) also, there are three “Perry’s Podcast” podcasts that are a prequel to Infected. These were part of a collection of short stories from BloodCast, Season 2. Most of these stories ended up in Blood is Red or Bones are White, I think. Been a while since I listened to them.

Good call. I had forgotten about those (and I don’t think I’ve heard them myself. I think those would also be classified as “Podcast, hard to find”

I don’t remember a prequel to Ancestor. Gonna have to start digging to see if I can find it.

It was in the regular feed immediately preceding the podcast of the Ancestor re-write. I had some trouble finding them, but lo and behold – they are right there in the podiobooks version as Episodes 1-3. http://podiobooks.com/title/ancestor/

Oh, and one more thing. Title Fight is available as a podcast.

Excellent point! That’s the only GFL novella that is, I think. http://podiobooks.com/title/title-fight/

Great job, @bigjohn, with putting together this pretty comprehensive list! Couple things I’d like to add:

1) if I’m not mistaken, “Beam Up on Aisle Five” is in the GFL Siglerverse. You have listed as a “Non-Siglerverse” story.

2) also, there are three “Perry’s Podcast” podcasts that are a prequel to Infected. These were part of a collection of short stories from BloodCast, Season 2. Most of these stories ended up in Blood is Red or Bones are White, I think. Been a while since I listened to them.

I don’t remember a prequel to Ancestor. Gonna have to start digging to see if I can find it.

Oh, and one more thing. Title Fight is available as a podcast. Recommended listening for any junkie or aspiring junkie.

D

@bigjohn exhorted:

I think only Scott and Gmork have access right now, and only Scott has been updating it intermittently.

Kewl. At least it’s a known issue. I’m sure @arealgirl & @scottsigler will get it fixed if things ever slow down. Seems like their plates are always full.

After writing to you, I realized I’d missed the most obvious avenue of contacting @gmork. Although I tried Facebook, Twitter, & various email addresses, I completely forgot to PM her here. Doh!!! I felt like a total idiot. Cest la vie. At least I have now. I suspect her plate has likely been abnormally full as well.

@sadock pontificated:

Are we actually still allowed to make changes to the Siglerpedia?

Yeah something in the site switchover broke the wiki. I think only Scott and Gmork have access right now, and only Scott has been updating it intermittently.

@bigjohn extolled:

New Junkie @alanwooler asked a great question about the reading order for the many Sigler works. I put together this temporary list until I can get the information into the Siglerpedia, where it more appropriately belongs.

Are we actually still allowed to make changes to the Siglerpedia? I tried to update my page over there back in December, but was not able to log in. Carmen has always been our beloved Siglerpedia Czar, so I messaged @gmork via numerous avenues, but was never able to establish contact. I figured it must have somehow got locked down in the site changeover. Lots of other things seemed a bit glitchy, so that seemed like a reasonable hypothesis at the time. Is it incorrect?

You’re welcome, @alanwooler! Enjoy!

Another minor correction: THE RIDER is anticipated for release in 2015, but is not yet available.

Wow, thank you BigJohn.
    I will copy that to a text file on my desktop and will go though in the order that you have given as it is a great idea to get advise from somebody who knows his stuff.

Thanks again.
    Alan

Please also note that this list does not include Scott’s work in gaming modules, such as the ASP Technocracy or Shadows of the City.

I also forgot to put in The Torpedo, which is a apodcast-only short story.

Anyone else feel free to add anything else I forgot!

** SPOILER ALERT ** Some titles of Sigler’s books are spoiler-y, especially in the GFL Siglerverse.

New Junkie @alanwooler asked a great question about the reading order for the many Sigler works. I put together this temporary list until I can get the information into the Siglerpedia, where it more appropriately belongs.

A few notes about this list.

1. I have put the FDØ’s stories in three categories: Modern Siglerverse, GFL Siglerverse and Non-Siglerverse. It is generally accepted and known that the Modern Universe and the GFL Universe are collectively “The Siglerverse” and all stories contained in those groupings are essentially part of the same timeline. However, because the GFL era is about 500 years in the future, I’ve put them together in their own grouping. The Non-Siglerverse are typically a bunch of independent short stories, or stories that have not yet been tied in to the canon Siglerverse. It also includes the new Generations trilogy coming out later this year.
    2. Some short stories have been published in multiple anthologies, but for simplicity I’ve just included their publication in the Sigler-produced anthology.
    3. Anything listed with a publication date of 2015 is anticipated to publish this year, but they have not yet been published.
    4. Some known stories have placeholders identified. Things such as known sequels or planned projects are identified, and if known, in the proper order.

Core Modern Siglerverse reading order (except as noted, these are Crown publications, and their audiobooks are available through audiobook retailers):

1. Infected
    2. Contagious
    3. Ancestor Prequel 1 (podcast-only, hard to find)
    4. Ancestor Prequel 2 (podcast-only, hard to find)
    5. Ancestor Prequel 3 (podcast-only, hard to find)
    6. Ancestor
    7. Nocturnal
    8. Descendant (Not yet published)
    9. Pandemic
    10. Earthcore (Not yet published)
    11. Mt. Fitzroy (Not yet published)

GFL Siglerverse reading order (Novels available as audiobooks through scottsigler.com and audiobook retailers, except novellas which are currently only e-books):

1. Complex God (Short Story: Robot Uprisings)
    2. Passenger (Short Story: Bones are White)
    3. The Crypt Stories (Novella: The Crypt: Book One (podcast only, hard to find)
    4. Hero (Short Story: Bones are White)
    5. The Rookie (Novel)
    6. Title Fight (Novella)
    7. The Starter (Novel)
    8. The All-Pro (Novel)
    9. The Rider (Novella)
    10. The Detective (Novella)
    11. The Reporter (Novella)
    12. The MVP (Novel)
    13. The Champion (Novel)

Non-Siglerverse (audiobooks available through scottsigler.com for Blood is Red and Bones are White only. Other anthology stories available through audiobook retailers, but only as a complete anthology). Note that there is no reading order here, except the three series as noted:

1. Red Man (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    2. Wolf (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    3. Iowa Typhoon (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    4. The Great Snipe Hunt (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    5. Sacred Cow (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    6. Number One with a Bullet (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    7. Mt. Fitzroy (sneak peek) (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    8. Chuckles Mulrooney (Short Story: Bones are White)
    9. Bag Man (Short Story: Bones are White)
    10. Beam Up on Aisle Five (Short Story: Bones are White)
    11. Eusocial Networking (Short Story: Bones are White)
    12. The Hippo (Short Story: Vwars Blood & Fire)
    13. Nosferatu, Brutus? (Short Story: HELP FUND MY ROBOT ARMY!!!)

Generations Trilogy:

1. Alive (2015)
    2. Alight (?)
    3. Away (?)

Hunter Hunterson & Sons:

1. Hunter Hunterson and Sons (Short Story: Blood is Red)
    2. Hunter Hunterson and Sons: Home (Short Story: Bones are White)
    3. Hunter Hunterson and Sons: The $15 Burger (Short Story: Bones are White)
    4. Hunter Hunterson and Sons: The Case of the Haunted Safeway (Short Story: Games Creatures Play)

Apocalypse Triptych:

1. The Fifth Day of Deer Camp (Short Story: The End is Nigh)
    2. The Sixth Day of Deer Camp (Short Story: The End is Now)
    3. The Seventh Day of Deer Camp (Short Story: The End has Come (May 2015))

Kissyman:

• Kissyman (Short story, podcast-only)
    • Kissyman & The Gentleman (Novella, podcast-only)
    • Kissyman & The Last Song (Short Story: Bones are White)

This probably is very ugly but it’s about the best I can do for now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.