This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Jordan Willis 10 years, 12 months ago.

dvr's are they worth it?

• I used to have to use VCR tapes to record stuff or *gasp* actually stay up and watch it.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Nate Dogg… "life is hard. But its one helluva lot harder if you’re stupid"- -John Wayne

i guess i "ate Dogg" lol
    Nate Dogg… "life is hard. But its one helluva lot harder if you’re stupid"- -John Wayne

I love DVR 🙂

Do you have a compy 386 like strongbad or maybe even the much improved lappy 486?

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

I think so. Definitely. 

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie."

I think we need to emphasize the difference there is Tivo and then there is dvr.  Tivo is the original and in terms of quality the best dvr around.  I would encourage you all to get a Tivo if you have the opportunity.

my compy has one built in. and that rite theres the shiznit. 

ate Dogg… "life is hard. But its one helluva lot harder if you’re stupid"- -John Wayne

When our VCR went belly up just about the same time all of our tapes started *really* showing their age, we went with a DVR.
    Now, I couldn’t live without it.  However, it is a bit confusing because I have no idea what day or time anything is on, I simply cruise through the listing until I see what I want.  It’s nice to be able to watch all the Terminator or New Amsterdam or Torchwood eps I’ve missed over the month and take them all in in a chunk.
    Tastes Like Chicken

we just get our own stand allone and record our sat and free to air on that
    no subs to pay

and if you dont like it turn it off now PUSSSIEES!!

I could make it without my DVR’s
    Don’t know how I ever watched TV before.

Wallerdad

These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

and get one

It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

I’ve had a DVR for 3 years now. There is no way I’ll ever have any type of cable TV system without it. I had Directv with Tivo and now have at&t with DVR. I can’t watch TV without it.

using a dvr means I don’t know when the shows are actually broadcast. And considering I used TV schedules as a timekeeping method, my saturday mornings are really confusing.
    *~*
    My thoughts this week: Waiting is an essential part of junkie life.
    6 Days to John Barrowman!

I had the same issue when I moved my system and upgraded to an HD system, they try to charge extra for just about everything including the DVR. I just explained that I had a DVR on my old system that I was not having to pay monthly for (I paid everything up front when I bought the box), and that I was not going to pay extra monthly for the DVR on top of already paying for it on the old box. They agreed, and dropped that charges. Hope this helps someone that is upgrading to HD!

Are they those hard drive things? I got one and it saves a lot of time, no looking for/losing tapes and easy fast forwarding/rewinding. Also excellent quality.

I have dish dvr and love it. I would rather tape a show and watch it sans commercials than watch it live.

“Shakespeare said pretty well everything, and what he left out, James Joyce, with a little nudge from myself, put in.” Brendan Behan

when you threaten leaving they give you a break, have a couple of friends who have been successfull with that
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

I use dish network and its stupid…if you sign up with new service they’ll send you one for free(with a 18 month commitment) but if your a current subscriber its 100 dollars and they give you back 10 bucks a month for 10 months…I keep telling them how stupid it is to shit on current subscribers but they wont budge…I guess I will have to switch to the other system

We got a TiVo about four years ago. I used it religiously for two years, and I like to think TiVo is what finally convinced me to turn off my TV signal.

Using a DVR can help you track what you want when you want it. You might not join me in the fringe of tv-watching, but I like to think of DVRs as the PodCasting of Broadcasting.

Take the dive.

——-

Whole Lot of Nonsense PodCast – http://www.wholelotofnonsense.org
    UUCSH Sunday Services – http://uucsh.libsyn.com
    Follow Me – http://www.twitter.com/bpende
    Pownce on Me – http://www.pownce.com/bpende

I’m thinking of upgrading to Dvr does the junkie nation think its worth it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.