This topic contains 22 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of J.P. J.P. 3 years, 1 month ago.

Writing

• Profile photo of J.P.

She rawks and should be a junkie. We must find a way to bring her into the fold before the plaid tanks roll. Then again, we just might drive her to heavy drinking… <–see what I did there, three periods followed by two spaces. That’ll probably upset NPR. #Evil.

Profile photo of Danny Lundy

[flickr-photo:id=5069323983,size=m] “Lundy is my agent, Q! He’s the man. He’ll tear the tongue out of anyone who gets in your way.”

Profile photo of Gmork

Don’t maKe Me sTarT raDomLY caiTaLizinG lEttErS!

Profile photo of Belladonna420

Yell

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo AND I’m [REDACTED]’s [REDACTED]!!!!!. * *

Profile photo of Meg Marshall

Also, apostrophe’s.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~ That Australian bitch with the stupid accent and all the subtlety of a splatterfart

Profile photo of Avinjer

Always remember the words of a wise man. Youth and exuberance will, in the end, loose out to age and treachery.
    Ve veri veniversum vivus vici (idea’s cannot be killed)

Profile photo of Paul DeWig

The old people and their typewriters, and the youngins who dont need two spaces to make a point on computers

So i have these books: Ancestor (2007 Editions) EarthCore (2005) Infected Contagious Ancestor (2010) The Rookie The Starter The All-Pro Blood is Red

Profile photo of Brandon Fletcher

I have a math brain. I love to read but im pretty sure with my understanding of punctuation my book would look something like a labyrinth of meaningless words and ideas…

“And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it’s a great escape escape……”

Death to the Oxford comma! Slow, fiery DEATH!

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~ That Australian bitch with the stupid accent and all the subtlety of a splatterfart

I’ve heard before that this is more of an ‘American thing’ – not that you invented it, but that you are more likely to have retained it. Don’t know if that’s true or not, but I’m just writing that as a disclaimer before I say anything, because the rules might be different down here. (Also, we call it a full stop, not a period).

Unlike many of you in the same age group as me, I wasn’t taught to do it when typing. I guess it had gone out of favour here by that time? Either way, I’ve rarely seen it mentioned in style guides for Australian publications – it’s obviously taken as a given that people will NOT double-space after a full stop. The couple of times that I’ve seen it mentioned, they’ve said it WILL NOT be accepted (because editors have to go through and take out all the extra spaces).

If you’re a writer, I’d suggest you clarify the rules with your publisher before submitting anything.

PS. Here’s an interview with the dude the original poster referred to: http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

do the same thing. At least the two I’ve owned did.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo AND I’m [REDACTED]’s [REDACTED]!!!!!. * *

Profile photo of Twainy

“Progress isn’t made by early risers. It’s made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” – Robert Heinlein

At least type in Courier so that your double space actually has a purpose

So i have these books: Ancestor (2007 Editions) EarthCore (2005) Infected Contagious Ancestor (2010) The Rookie The Starter The All-Pro Blood is Red

Profile photo of Gmork

I am a stickler when it comes to the Oxford comma (Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss is one of my favorite books on commas!). And the double spacing. I’ve been trying to break my habit of double spacing but I’d estimate I still do it 8-% of the time Frown

I think this kinda settles the whole dispute.

says this on the subject. I was also taught two spaces after a period and I still type that way!

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

And now the Oxford comma is gone too! Back in my day it was 2 spaces after the period and a comma after the last item in a series – And We Liked It!! Youngsters, changing the style guide. Damn you!!! (shakes fist)
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Avinjer

Where the hell are they teaching this?

Profile photo of Avinjer

I also was taught to use 2 spaces after a period. Why? Why?

Profile photo of

Nope, just one. Never two, NEVER!

I have never heard that

Profile photo of Josh Copper

<!– @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } –>

Mr. Sigler

I listened to an episode of “Fresh Air” with Terry Gross on NPR, she was interviewing a guy named Farhad Manjoo. Manjoo was talking about cyber etiquette and with that he said that it is incorrect to used two spaces after a period. (<—– Like this)

I don’t want to belive him. This guy is trying to tell me that my teachers from my Podunk home town of Chillicothe, OH were lying. I would like your take on this.

Also I would like to know what you do about spaceing in published work? I know that certain formats dictate how many spaces to have after a period, but how many spaces are used in published work. I figured that this would be a good question to ask you.

New Fan,

Josh Copper

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.