This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of BigJohn BigJohn 4 years, 7 months ago.

writing software

• Profile photo of BigJohn

I tried – and failed – at nanowrimo last year, in my first attempt. But I enjoy it, and plan on trying again this year. Hopefully I’ll be a little better prepared.

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent Victim of GirlCo [flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s]

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

Thanks for sharing this! I can’t wait to try it out, preferably before next Nanowrimo.

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of BigJohn

by Spacejock software is fairly good, for the price. The price is free.

http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter5.html

I found it recommended by the guys at Nanowrimo for writing stories, and it has a lot of good features for helping you construct your story. On the main page of this software is a “training” video, which showcases a bunch of its features. I highly recommend at least looking at the video.

One thing I found rather frustrating is that there was no way to combine all of the chapters into a single cohesive and comprehensive output. Maybe I missed something, but I didn’t see anything jump out at me.

I’ll be moving my writing project to the mac soon, at which time I shall switch to Scrivener, which seems to be dripping with feature-y goodness, and is – alas (for you) – Mac-only.

For more recommendations, check out this topic from Nanowrimo’s forums:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3434875

Hope that helps!

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

Profile photo of Michael Cogan

sorry i perhaps was not the clear in my first post. I have open office. I am looking for perhaps one could say a more professional piece of software to do writing with.

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

I’ve noticed that a disproporianate percentage of the podosphere uses Macs. Not sure if that’s because they’re better for casting or it’s a personality thing. I’m one of them, so I can’t help you very much.

Possibly OpenOffice or NeoOffice. Those are both open source and (I think) will run on any platform.

What problems are you experiencing with your current software? Are there specific issues that you want to eliminate?

Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent Victim of GirlCo [flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s]

Profile photo of Michael Cogan

I’m looking at using some better software for my writing of stories and wondered software people could recommend. If it is relevant my system runs windows (its not a mac).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.