This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Ricky Craig Ricky Craig 3 years, 8 months ago.

Who's ready for Tier 1 (or Tier 2 for that matter)?

Since the NFL is Tier 3, which players (past or present) could make it in the upper Tiers of the GFL? I know some of the players don’t have much size, but there are always the intangibles and surely (quit calling me Shirley!) some of the QBs playing today would be better than Yitzak who at 6-4, 265 is considered small. For the sake of arguement, let’s take age out of the equation since the presumption would be they would be in an upper Tier already if they had the capabilites. Also, are there any players who could switch positions since they have been replaced by an alien race at their current one?

I’m going an easy route and picking a kicker. My fellow Grizzly, Miami’s Dan Carpenter. At 6-2, 225lbs he’s big for his position and think he could hold up to the beating of the GFL.

We’re talking 700 years from now. I did a quick scan for numbers, so unsure of the validity of this but it’s probably pretty close:

Among numbers, the starting offensive line of the 1958 NFL champion Colts averaged about 240 pounds while O-line starters for the 2007 Giants, Super Bowl champions, averaged about 6-5 in height and 314 on scales.

So that’s a thirty percent increase in size over a half-century. We can’t expect that kind of increase over a seven-century period (if we did, the average offensive lineman in 2711 would be somewhere in the range of 7,000 pounds), but there are several factors that contribue to increasing size, including greater nutrution science, strength training from earlier ages and the basic fact of natural selection (men who make millions of dollars playing professional sports can afford the best health insurance, training, and food in the world for their children, increasing the possibility that their children will be able to follow in their footsteps if they have the size).

So think about what has transpired over the last 50 years. The five offensive line starters for the 1958 Colts would not be big enough to start on any NFL team in 2011. We’re talking a world-champion offensive line, and the only one with a shot at starting today might be Jim Parker, who at 6-foot-3, 273 pounds would be a very small lineman. What’s more, those five guys would not be big enough to start on a Division One college team.

Here’s another thing to think about: Dante Culpepper was a 6-foot-4, 260-pound quarterback. A quarterback that was bigger than four of the five offensive linemen from a 1958 world-champion team.

I tried to extrapolate size increases at a logical level for THE ROOKIE. That is why Quentin is a “big” quarterback that is 7-foot-0, 400 pounds. The way I wrote the universe, Quentin would be too small to play on any offensive line in any tier.

So that’s a long-winded way of saying that — other than kickers — probably no one in the current NFL could cut it in Tier One or Tier Two.

but that information is absolutely fascinating. Thanks!

Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.