This topic contains 34 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter Insignificant Blood Splatter 4 years, 7 months ago.

Who makes the best role model?

Buddha, Ghandi, the Dalai Llama, Jesus Christ, Mother Theresa? Or feel free to come up with options on your own. Those were just a few off the top of my head.

Make sure you provide a good rationale. You have to show your work or it doesn’t count Tongue out

Are the best role models dead? Everyone who is currently alive is just making it up as they go along. Yep. that’s life. That’s what it’s like… Same as you.

So… since we’re all just making it up as we go along, why should I follow you? I’d have to find someone to follow who isn’t an arrogant jerk like me.

Dead people have a defined discernable past, something to latch onto and then decide if it’s worth following or not…

Just some thought for the grist mill…

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

with the exception of Mother Theresa, I agree with the list. I don’t believe having one role model is a good thing. not everything can be answered by doing such a thing. I believe we need several role models that we can really have a well grounded, logic thought provoking process that we can derive our actions from.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Sorry. Had to be done. All that talk of following……

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

…….as I go about my ADL. JC, Ghandi & MT were all last minute additions. The initial mental conundrum was between Buddha & the Dalai Llama.

You are probably correct. There is no need to isolate it down to one. I don’t do so in my personal life.

However, attempting to list the pros and cons of each person to determine who the ‘best’ is/was does remain an interesting exercise in mental masturbation.

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

from futurama…i’m thinking he really knew what this crazy world was all about. money, drinking, and robot strippers.

Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

I like to at least remember Sojourner Truth. She was a fantastic speaker, especially when you look at how little education she had. (Not saying you need to go to school to be smart, but she was just so elegant, it always surprises me when the subject of her education comes up.) She did a lot of good just by speaking from her heart. Other people I might add to the list are MLK Jr., Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Anne Frank, and Miep Gies, all for similar reasons of being good, caring human beings who either worked for equality or did what they did just because that’s how people should act. Plus, I think they’re all good people to be inspired by. :)

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Almost as important as the positive role models that we all have and espouse to admire, we all have just as many, if not more, negative role models that we take into consideration when making decisions.

We’ve all had them. For me it was an older brother who made a few bad decisions. It was his existence and close proximity in my life that forged many of my most firmly held beliefs and made a real difference in the paths I have chosen in my life. For you it may be a childhood bully, a girlfriend/boyfriend/husband/wife in a relationship gone horribly wrong. It could even be a bum sleeping in the street that encouraged you to apply yourself in school.

though we all claim to want to be like our positive role models, isn’t it almost more a case of seeing the negative and running the other way? Put another way, if you were to list the most influencial positive role model in your life and then the most negative, which one would have had the most impact on you? I’m almost betting it would be the negative one…

discuss.

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

You may very well be correct. Humans often react to negative forces more forcefully than they do to postive ones. Yet behavior that is reinforced with positive conditioning will last longer IMHO.

………Sojourner Truth or Miep Gies are.

I certainly agree with the other four you mentioned though.

….but I must strongly disagree with bender’s nomination if that’s what he’s all about. Not a Futurama fan.

Treating money as a deity rather than a tool is one of this world’s largest problems IMHO.

I’ve heard the name Sojourner Truth, but don’t know any history…

Huh. I guess I only know more about SoJo because I’ve had to do a few readings on her in school. Um, ever heard of the “Ain’t I a Woman?” speech? That was her. If not, and you’re really curious, wiki does a fine job of explaining who she is. As for Miep Gies – the only reason I remember her name is because she recently died and I saw a lot of articles about/on it. She’s the lady who hid Anne Frank and her family in her house.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Yeah, I agree with Arioch. Though if I were to list a negative role model…yeah, I have to think on that one. Most of the women in my family are positive role models, and I can say that off the top of my head. Guess I’ve just never thought of the negative role models, before. Though I do agree that we do ahve negative role models, too. I just think it’s better to strive for something than to strive away from something. If that makes sense.

To elaborate a bit more, I hypothosize that most people DO strive more towards things, yet they may still be more influenced by a negative role model.

I believe that it is generally a subconscious influence which negative role models exert upon us. The effect of positive role models is usually more on a conscious level. It seems more in line with what I’ve seen of human nature for us to consciously emulate what we like and unconsciously react away from what we find distasteful. Granted, there are going to be exceptions to this, as there are to every rule, but I think it holds true more often than not.

Wonder if the Wiki article will tell me whether Sojourner Truth was her birth name or not. I can’t imagine that as something parents would name their child. Just as mine didn’t name me Arioch Cool And my best friend was wise enough to forbid his wife from naming their son Lucifer. What kind of mother would subject her son to that name going through our public educational system?!?

Sojourner Truth sounds like it might be:

1. a stage name or
    2. a name she changed to after she was born or
    3. a native american name

I haven’t looked at Wiki yet, but at this point, my $$$ is on #3 (possibly #2, depending on what era she is/was in). Changing your name wasn’t really feasible until modern times as far as I know. I kind of doubt someone would adopt something that meaningful as a stage name. It does seem apt as a name a tribe would give to a medicine woman who accomplished something on walkabout (or something similar). Okay, let’s go over to Wiki and see how wrong I am Cool

Betting my deductions were wrong now. Can’t imagine a native american lass using the word “Aint.” Now I’m betting that she is of African American descent. Still sticking with my tribal guesswork though. This is kinda fun Smile

Re: Miep Gies, when I was growing up and touring Europe, she was never mentioned by name. It was always Anne Frank and “The House of Anne Frank.” *If* the family who sheltered her was mentioned, it was not very prominent. Probably just once in a minor paragraph of a textbook (school) or a minor mention on those little brass placards (at the actual house).

We don’t usually wake up and say “I don’t want to be like that person” but in the normal course of our day to day lives, we find our behavior driven by just such things. Why do we make our children behave? Well, yeah, partially to be good parents, but also becuase when we’re in public with the kids we don’t want to be “Those Parents” or “that type of person”… I think it’s much more subconscious, and more pervasive.

Excellent guess. Sojourner Truth was not her real name.

And wow. Lucifer? o.O I shall never understand some people. My friends and I were talking about this just the other day, but I can’t remember what the name was. -_-

Native American is actually a really good guess, though she was African American.

Yeah, the only time I remember Miep being mentioned by name is in the article I read when she died and, I believe, the movie Freedom Writers. Kind of sad, but I think that’s really what she wanted.

I definitely agree with all that.

woohoo,

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

……with nothing left to do but nod their heads?

I remain amazed at how long he stayed with her. He definitely went FAR above and beyond to make that marriage work. Her unwillingness to put forth any effort and a severe WOW addiction (which she still denies) prevented a happy ending though Cry

All of it was 100% new to me. It had been a while since I had learned any new American history. Thank You.

That’s actually quite cool of Miep to intentionally fade into the background so the spotlight could shine on Anne Frank. It strikes me as similar to what the Junkie community did when they adopted those less fortunate financially. The way in which numerous Junkies purchased copies of THE ROOKIE for those who were unable to afford it astounded me. The fact that no one wanted credit totally revitalized my faith in humanity as a whole at a time when I really needed it. Miep choosing to focus attention on the heroism of Anne strikes me as parallel in many ways. Her actions weren’t important. It was the tragedy of Anne that really needed the attention.

That really was amazing of her. I absolutely love her quote on not being a hero. “I was not a hero. Imagine young people would grow up with the feeling that you have to be a hero to do your human duty. I am afraid nobody would ever help other people, because who is a hero? I was not. I was just an ordinary housewife and secretary.”

And nice parallel to the junkies. I hadn’t thought of it that way. I also totally agree with that. It was incredibly awesome for junkies to chip in like that. Time and time again, junkies amaze me and remind me that there still good, caring, and kindness in this world. The junkies here are a huge part of the reason I’ve stuck around here for as long as I have. Usually, when I fade out of a forum, I don’t go back to it, but I find myself drawn and re-drawn to this one every time I leave.

It’s always sad when only one person in a relationship is willing to put that much work into it, but the other one isn’t. But it sounds like he’s a great catch for anyone with half a brain.

……of Junkies at Balticon. It will be odd meeting many of the forumites IRL.

I still chuckle every time I remember Gmork’s recounting of her first meeting with Scott. “I think he was expecting a guy.” Laughing I can’t say I blame Scott, though. Gmork never uses a photo for her avatar. One of the reasons I use .gifs is because I like to be creative and obey the FDO’s request that we post a picture of ourselves on our profile.

That’ll be awesome to be able to do. One day I shall also make it…

But LOL. Yeah. So many things are hard to tell on the internet, tone and gender among the top two of those things.

I do enjoy your pictures. :)

…..the 1-19-2010 episode of Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me.

Thanks; It’s getting close to time for me to create a new .gif. I’ll probably do that after I finish up with Book 01 of THE CRYPT. Got done Episodes 06-09 today. Hopefully I can knock out 10-16 tomorrow. This ear infection has thrown my entire production schedule off. Frown

Glenn Beck is my hero!

Eek! Ear infections suck. Sorry to hear that. Frown Good luck with the rest of the episodes. I believe in you! :D And looking forward to seeing your new .gif. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.