This topic contains 24 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sadock sadock 1 week, 2 days ago.

Where has Tuesday Terror Gone???

• Profile photo of sadock

@BigJohn answered:

I was supposing based on the number of junkies and the number of FB SiglerGroup members. It is an invite-only group, so it’s basically word-of-mouth for Junkies to promote membership. It ballooned quickly when it first started, but new membership requests have tapered off. We posted about it here on ss.com, but just based on the sheer numbers, I am saying there must be many who don’t FB, or those – like you – who don’t really want to do their Sigler-ing over there.

Did Scott (or anyone else) ever make a broad, cross platform [ie over all the various social media outlets and the podcast & blog, if possible] announcement about the shift? From what I hear you saying, it’s likely many Junkies may not even know the Facebook Sigler Junkies even exist, whether they use Facebook or not. Now, prior to doing anything like that, we should decide whether we want to try and rehabilitate the SS.com forums or abandon them forever and make a permanent move over to the Facebook group. My preference is to try and rehab the SS.com forums first. What do you think?

Profile photo of BigJohn

@sadock babbled:

B) Select discussions can be pinned (permanently?) to the top of the discussion board, which gets *really* annoying if you are a frequent visitor.

Yes, but so far there have been very few pinned conversations, and they have not lasted long before they were un-pinned.

I have no idea why Drupal was so vulnerable to spam and WordPress is not.

I don’t know either – and I’m not 100% sure that the decision to move to BMB was spam-driven; there was also a partnership for using BMB for their eCommerce, and it was like a package deal they seemed to get. eCommerce + website construction/admin.

I believe the ideal solution would be some sort of self-governed Junkie forums that neither @ARealGirl nor @ScottSigler had to do any of the administrative chores for.

WordPress is a much more mature and wider-used platform, and I also recall at SF2K14 some discussion about exploring WP-compatible discussion threads. But the administration issue is still an issue. You’re right – @ARealGirl and @ScottSigler don’t need to spending a lot of their time doing that.

Do you have any idea of roughly what percentage of Junkies are unwilling (or unable) to use Facebook? You said “a not insignificant portion” in your comment, but I didn’t know if that meant like 10% or perhaps closer to 35%?

I don’t know. I was supposing based on the number of junkies and the number of FB SiglerGroup members. It is an invite-only group, so it’s basically word-of-mouth for Junkies to promote membership. It ballooned quickly when it first started, but new membership requests have tapered off. We posted about it here on ss.com, but just based on the sheer numbers, I am saying there must be many who don’t FB, or those – like you – who don’t really want to do their Sigler-ing over there.

Profile photo of sadock

@PerfectDayForDying said:

I was really worried that you actually had passed

I did come close at one point.

I still count your treatment of my “Loyalty” short story as a real highlight and point of pride in my life.

I’m glad I could do it justice. Loyalty & Perry Dawsey, Are You Okay were my two favorites from Tuesday Terror’s short lived run. I had a great deal of fun performing them both. I am still hopeful that I may be able to resurrect the show some day.

the new forums seem to be a bit less user-friendly than the old ones that we OJs had back in the day

Well, hopefully we will be able to improve the situation, at least somewhat.

if there’s anything I can do to help bring TT back, just let me know

Are you still writing killer stories of the same caliber as Loyalty? If I recall correctly, that (*and* PD,AYO?) was one I ‘found’ on the FanFic boards in the old SS.com forums.

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

I was really worried that you actually had passed, so it’s really good to see you back Arioch. I still count your treatment of my “Loyalty” short story as a real highlight and point of pride in my life. The damn thing was a finalist for a Parsec award, which I never dreamed of, and I’m sure you featuring it on TT had something to do with that. Yeah, the new forums seem to be a bit less user-friendly than the old ones that we OJs had back in the day, but like you said, such is progress. I hope that your recovery continues to progress, and if there’s anything I can do to help bring TT back, just let me know brother.

-PDFD

Profile photo of sadock

@BigJohn exhorted:

original Pulsar-driven Drupal got out of control with spam, then they moved to the backmybook platform, which was more or less homegrown by the bmb guys. That was the first iteration where the forums were hard to digest. Then they switched to wordpress, which is a bit more extensible…..

Ah, I did not realize that there was an intermediate step. I can see how that could cause things to get uber-FUBARed. Attempting to discern how we lost so *much* functionality in the translation from Drupal into WordPress was proving a conundrum for @sadock‘s noggin. As far as I’m aware, those platforms are both widely used across the internet, so it was not making any sense to me at all. Knowing that it was Drupal->BMB->Wordpress rather than Drupal->Wordpress makes it much easier to comprehend.

@BigJohn also spewed:

We (junkies) suggested at SF2K14 that junkie-run forums/groups might be a good way to continue the socialization but not put the onus onto EmptySet to do all the administration. Facebook Groups were mentioned, and it took off from there. It has a lot of the “features” that the forums offered – threaded discussions, tagging people – but it is all contained within the FB platform. Not that it’s a problem right now. Plus, we can administer it ourselves. So Scott and A get to participate without having to administer, which ends up saving them some time.

The Facebook group is great as far as it goes, but I don’t think it is satisfactory as a permanent solution. Do you? There are still many aspects which can be improved upon. I suppose the discussions are technically threaded, but they are still all in a single column. If you are part of several different threads/conversations, you have to scroll down to each one individually. It has successfully removed Scott & A from the admin process while still enabling them to participate in the discussions if they want to, but they have to login to Facebook to do so. I have no idea how active (or not) they are on FB. I’d say my two largest gripes with the Facebook discussion platform are A) If I’m not interested in a discussion thread, there’s no way to automatically ignore/skip over it and B) Select discussions can be pinned (permanently?) to the top of the discussion board, which gets *really* annoying if you are a frequent visitor. I have no idea how to do this, and doubt I ever would as much as it annoys me anytime someone else does it. I suspect it is an admin only function.

I believe the ideal solution would be some sort of self-governed Junkie forums that neither @ARealGirl nor @ScottSigler had to do any of the administrative chores for. They certainly do not need anything else added to their plate(s). That was one of the beautiful things of how Team Sigler functioned. @Gmork, @Pulsar, @GJ, @MsInformation, & @sadock (hey, that’s me!) all had our own areas of specialization where we could help out. I have no idea how many of those folks (if any) are still assisting Scott & A. I’d be willing to bet Donna is, but I’m clueless about Paul, Rachel, and Carmen. Obviously, I no longer am.

Anyways, if we could figure out a way to accomplish that and link it to ScottSigler.com, that would frakkin’ RAWK! I am not web-savvy enough to know if that means the Junkie forums need to actually be hosted at SS.com or if there is a way to link them directly to it in another manner. I’m also unaware of what all security concerns need to be addressed. I have no idea why Drupal was so vulnerable to spam and WordPress is not. But I do believe that the Junkies can solve this problem if we work together. All we have to do is A) define our objective, B) identify what the obstacles to achieving that goal are, and C) ask Junkies if they are willing to work and/or research a little bit to create a new & improved forum environment directly associated with SS.com. I am operating under the assumption that Scott & A would be amenable to us doing something of this nature. If they’re not, there’s no point in us even trying. It’s their website, after all ;)

@BigJohn concluded with:

But it really is a place for junkies to gather, talk and be weird – though currently limited to FB junkies (famously excluding a not-insignificant portion of Junkies who don’t facebook – I’m looking at you, @athanas – who, for whatever legitimate reason, do not FB

Actually, I’m one of those Junkies who don’t use Facebook very often. You should have seen the look on my face when I read @TwoWire‘s email that the “new” forums were in actuality a Facebook group. I can only imagine, but I suspect I appeared to be a 90 year old man who had just sucked all the juice from half a dozen lemons. I am not a big fan of Facebook. I can’t recall the last time I had logged in prior to applying for membership in Sigler Junkies. I don’t hate it as much as many folks do, and I haven’t gone so far as to totally boycott it, but I doubt I’d log in more than 2-3 times/year if the Sigler Junkies were not located there.

Do you have any idea of roughly what percentage of Junkies are unwilling (or unable) to use Facebook? You said “a not insignificant portion” in your comment, but I didn’t know if that meant like 10% or perhaps closer to 35%?

Profile photo of BigJohn

@sadock pontificated:

Do you have any thoughts on how/why the forums are designed so poorly?

There’s been a lot of discussion about it. Summarizing, I would say that the original Pulasar-driven Drupal got out of control with spam, then the moved to the backmybook platform, which was more or less homegrown by the bmb guys. That was the first iteration where the forums were hard to digest. Then they switched to wordpress, which is a bit more extensible, but again, EmptySet is working with more-or-less off-the-shelf product, and can only implement the things they test themselves and are freely available (or covered in whatever package they have).

It sits with WordPress now; I don’t recall exactly what the next plan is, but I think it was to leverage those types of things available without too much involvement by EmptySet. For example, the ss.com will continue to be the place where the main content is posted, and all the other social media sites will announce, but pretty much point back to ss.com. We (junkies) suggested at SF2K14 that junkie-run forums/groups might be a good way to continue the socialization but not put the onus onto EmptySet to do all the administration. Facebook Groups were mentioned, and it took off from there. It has a lot of the “features” that the forums offered – threaded discussions, tagging people – but it is all contained within the FB platform. Not that it’s a problem right now. Plus, we can administer it ourselves. So Scott and A get to participate without having to administer, which ends up saving them some time. But it really is a place for junkies to gather, talk and be weird – though currently limited to FB junkies (famously excluding a not-insignificant portion of Junkies who don’t facebook – I’m looking at you, @athanas – who, for whatever legitimate reason, do not FB (and are thereby infinitely more productive, I’m sure).

Profile photo of sadock

@BigJohn retorted:

I don’t know of any other places like that. It came up at SiglerFest2k14 from a discussion about winning the social medias, and was created on the fly. It’s turned out to be a pretty good place that is spam-free.

Winning the social medias? You kind of lost me there.

I agree the Facebook group has been acceptable as a temporary band-aid, but I suggest we continue upon our quest [don’t forget your coconuts =D ] to restore the SS.com forums to their former glory. IMHO, it’s ridiculous that we have *so* many awesome fans who love to socialize online with one another, and the electronic venue where we used to gather has become dilapidated and uninhabitable.

I get that it was necessary to switch platforms because the spam got totally out of control when we were operating on the old one, but I don’t understand why that required completely altering the way the forums functioned. Perhaps Scott & A were forced to accept a pre-built/as-is blogging system, and this is just the way it is designed. Now that I really consider it, my guess is that they had zero input into how the forums worked. I suspect they simply fit the existing forum content into the current forum design as best they could and moved forward. Do you have any thoughts on how/why the forums are designed so poorly?

Profile photo of BigJohn

@sadock mumbled:

They’re really not designed for OJs who’ve been around for years and just want to socialize about all sorts of random BS. The Facebook group @TwoWire turned me onto is the best thing I’ve found thus far.

Yeah, I don’t know of any other places like that. It came up at SiglerFest2k14 from a discussion about winning the social medias, and was created on the fly. It’s turned out to be a pretty good place that is spam-free.

Profile photo of sadock

@BigJohn wrote:

I think you’ve hit all the ones i know about. Facebook, G+, GoodReads, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube – all the links in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Those are all @ScottSigler‘s pimpin’ pages, though. They’re more geared towards new folks looking to see what Siglerism is all about.

They’re really not designed for OJs who’ve been around for years and just want to socialize about all sorts of random BS. The Facebook group @TwoWire turned me onto is the best thing I’ve found thus far. That’s close to what I’m looking for since everyone seems to have bailed on SS.com’s forums.

Profile photo of BigJohn

Are there others I should be aware of? I’m sad to see so many people migrate from SS.com, but I can understand.

I think you’ve hit all the ones i know about. Facebook, G+, GoodReads, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube – all the links in the upper right hand corner of the page.

I’m not all that fond of the new forum format myself. I’m trying this new quote thing on this reply. We’ll see how it works out.

Yes, I’m experimenting with it as well! :D

Profile photo of sadock

BigJohn said:

Yes, it’s been a struggle for a lot of us. Participation has diminished a bit, and has been spread out over the multitude of social media outlets. But there’s still activity going on.

Glad to see you’re back, Arioch, and hope your recovery is proceeding apace.

Yeah, Pons clued me into the Facebook group. Are there others I should be aware of? I’m sad to see so many people migrate from SS.com, but I can understand. I’m not all that fond of the new forum format myself. I’m trying this new quote thing on this reply. We’ll see how it works out.

Glad to be back. Still getting my proverbial feet wet, but continuing to make positive progress. I’ve been amazed at how warm a reception I’ve received, not just from Junkies, but across the podosphere. After so much time away, I expected most folks [except die hard OJs] to have forgotten me.

Profile photo of BigJohn

Yes, it’s been a struggle for a lot of us. Participation has diminished a bit, and has been spread out over the multitude of social media outlets. But there’s still activity going on.

Glad to see you’re back, Arioch, and hope your recovery is proceeding apace.

Profile photo of sadock

Glad to be back, Athanas. Looks like quite a bit has changed while I was away. Not surprising, considering how long I was gone, but I barely recognize the forums now.

It’s going to take me a while to become accustomed to the new format. I’m having a fair amount of difficulty trying to figure out who’s replying to what/whom since all replies get tossed on top now regardless of which comment you reply to. It can be pretty confusing and disorienting compared to the old conversational inset format we had before. But such is the price of progress, eh?

Profile photo of athanas

What the…?! Who’s that masked man coming out of the crowd??!
    OH!! He’s swinging a chair like a motherf**ker!! He’s clearing the ring!! OH MY GOD!!! HE’S BACK!!! THE MORNINGSTAR IS BACK!!!! What does this mean for Sunday’s Filipino Bamboo Razor Wire Cage Death-Match??!?!

Dude…what’s up, kicker? Glad to have you back. :-D

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

Awesome to see you back! You have been very much missed.

Profile photo of sadock

Tuesday Terror’s fate remains uncertain at this point.

I’m sure those of you who knew me on the boards noticed I went from being very active in the forums and in social media and then one day I just vanished. It must have seemed like I died or fell into a black hole or something. Sorry about that. I had a serious medical crisis which I am *still* recovering from. Sorry I was unable to give any sort of advance notice or get back on the boards sooner.

Profile photo of BigJohn

As I recall, it was mostly Erotica.

Profile photo of scottsigler

TuesdayTerror was a fan-fiction show by Arioch Morningstar. He would take submissions of Sigler fan fiction, then edit, record and podcast 1-2 a month. Arioch has taken a break from the show. We don’t know if he’ll do more, so for now the TuesdayTerror is on hold indefinitely.

Profile photo of Laith Graham

I’d like to see these return…

Profile photo of athanas

There any recent activity on this? I know I sent in a story quite awhile ago and am working on another…just sorta curious if I should wait for the return or just start posting in the appropriate fan fic forum.

Profile photo of Byron Metz

I 2 am patiently waiting for the return of Tuesday Terror Fan Fiction. In the meantime I’ll re-listen to the Tuesday Terror Fan Fiction that is already available.

Profile photo of Paul DeWig

good answer….lol

Profile photo of NeilColquhoun

Tuesday Terror will return when Arioch finishes working on his current projects.

Also, he wants to build up a bank, in order to have an extended return – so, if you are an author, or know an author, then send the stories in for consideration.
    Stay Alive – NC
    Profile photo of Twainy

I agree. On the way over to the whinging thread … ;o)

Profile photo of Bradley Henry

I miss my Tuesday Terror fix…Will it ever return?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.