This topic contains 55 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Mac Lean Eric Mac Lean 3 years ago.

Where do you get your ideas?

• Profile photo of Eric Mac Lean

Because such a reorganization requires the removal of the causes of the civilization’s
    decline, the triumph of one social class over another or of one political unit over another,
    within the civilization, will not usually have any major influence on the

Profile photo of Eric Mac Lean

My ideas were all stolen by Scott Sigler. Even my hair style.

Profile photo of Clifford Cad

I get mine ideas from myself. I love to be my own. 

Profile photo of Trevor Maten

Are there any A-list celebrities that are Junkies?  Anybody have any guesses?

Profile photo of ogreoregon

Our FDO does everything at once…at any one time there are 20 or 30 things going, different books, interviews, Podcasts… blogs..Tweets… He never sleeps unless the Evil Julie Andrews poisons him… and even then he is busy doing only about 10 or 20 different things….I hear he even has his own brand of designer Sigler chicken scissors in the works.
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Paul Finn

There are lots of videos in the net that they say it was a Chupacabra sightings

Paul Finn

Profile photo of steveANARCHY

Lionsgate would do a good job for sure.

(HM & UNdead Warlord) 

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

"SHIT adds up at the bottom!" ~ JMK

Profile photo of Jeff Padget

I heard a rumor about a Sigler book being turned into a movie, well it may have been something I read on this site, lol, so that means it’s not a rumor, haha. Is that true? If Infectious becomes a movie then it should be like 28 Days Later. I loved the surrealism in that movie to make it a disaster fantasy. And it should be picked up by Lionsgate!! That’s the company that took the first time director of "Cabin Fever"! Or a really cool Sci-Fi Channel movie would work too, lol, if it’s like "Splinter"! Cool

"Be afraid of the dark all over again!" DH

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

yep

i found two threads even older than this one
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

Well, anything to take away the PAIN of needing that next fix.
    I really enjoy going back and reading all this stuff, Junkie talk is so educational!!!

challenge has been placed by ogreoregon

find one older

(i did, hehehehe)
    The Math god

the limit of the square root of the hypotenuse cubed times the radius of scotts head (DAMN HIM) minus the average days he’s late posting an episode (zero, right??) divided by his ego approaches the inverse of the number of drinks scott (DAMN HIM) will expect to get
    ………..
    infinately many
    The Math god

If Scott starts his book tour in Houston at 4:30 pm and drinks all the way to Seattle, and arrives at 8:45, how many Junkies does it take to get him to buy dinner? How many drinks did it take?

a problem is a situation that has not been solved
    thus, if it involves math
    and has not been solved yet
    it is a problem
    like,
    do i have enough money in my account to cover this check?
    that’s a real problem if i don’t
    how much time do i have till i have to get off the net and go home?
    or how many knuckle heads where in school today?? (all of them)
    if i have 11 student on my roll and 6 show up, what’s my absentee rate for today? (this is what i deal with daily)
    The Math god

Profile photo of Tara Kubba

there’s no such thing as a problem in maths.
    Just questions which have no proofs to solve them.

when you least expect, you will be confronted with a MATH PROBLEM…..mauuuhahahaha
    The Math god

Profile photo of Robert Pigeon

Now I feal alot safer and alot more scared.

but it is all about math…………………..

the voices like numbers
    The Math god

Profile photo of Robert Pigeon

Do your voices ever say anything like “what could go wrong” or “know what would be fun”?

and the voices would be sticking out their tongues at your voices,
    if they had tongues of course
    The Math god

I was not the least bit offended by these conversations.
    MY voices, however ,said they were offended by your voices…

hey, i teach teens, if i was easily offended, i am in the wrong proffession
    i did not mean to sound offended, if i did, sorry

now the voices on the other hand……………
    The Math god

Profile photo of CPK IrishmanFromOhio

If I offended anyone, that was not my attention.
    The Irishman from Ohio

i am a person of science with leanings towards mystism (hears wife scream with laughter) i always look for the logical explanation forst, them i look for the hoxes. living with and teaching south texas hispanics you hear TONS of ghost stories and folk lore and myths that they swear is and has happened to/has been seen by a friend of a friend, a relative in ages past, to themselves, to the whole neighbor, “I swear by the virgin mary”, i do not ridicule or slander these peole, they have of rich history and believe most of this, or at least think it is possible. anyways, welcome to my 21st century, with roots in ages long gone and holding fast to them

and as to killer bees, we got ‘em
    they’re tasty roasted with a honey mustard dip
    The Math god

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

Interesting… now I know why the light bulb is the universal symbol for “I’ve got an idea!” You learn something new every day.

I wonder if people who live next to incandescent light bulb factories have better ideas than people that live next to fluorescent bulb or LED factories.

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

Relax everyone, the threat is over.

Since the 1990 A.D. there have been Chupacabra sighting in every country that is near the equator. They just called it by different names.
    But no fear if you live in Texas, USA. The killer bees will take the competition out.

it was in south texas
    and people have started sighting it again, here AND in mexico
    it is actually some dog like creature, mutated coyote or feral dog.
    but the myth is that is vamperic in that it sucks the blood from its victims
    it looks like some coyote/feral dog hybred that maybe breeding true {do i see a Silger (DAMN HIM) short story here??}
    but the hispanics down here love their ghost/legend/myth stories and will swear they are true even in the face of evidence to the contrary

conspiratory theorist have a few things to learn from them

The Math god

Profile photo of Steven Boyd

i dont think scott has morals

Profile photo of Kevin Wagner

Do you ever feel bad for killing so many people?

–kevin

Scott, do you get ideas for future characters and plots as you develope your current project? writing notes and stories for future developement, which might mean you have several things going at once, or do you totally concentrate on one idea and project at a time? I guess you could write with each hand at the same time.
    When are you going to get out of that closet and get a real office,? oops that is
    another question.

The Irishman from Ohio"I never Get to Get it!"-Wacko Warner
    The original myth of the Easter Bunny…was Celtic. It was a giant Bunny that was believed to be twice the size of a man in that time period. It was an ageless demon thing that grew its strength from the evil of man. It gained its most power from evil children. It was goud children to do more acts of evil with sweet foods. When the children were “ripe” It would eat their heads off and their souls would rot in Its belly. The myth is about 3,000 years old. The strongest Celtics were nomadic and covered most of Europe, Scotland, and Ireland. No bull shit.

Profile photo of James Eager

It is known that ideas comes from a post office box in Schnectady, NY. Specifically – a post office box in the 12345 zip code. And since that particular zip code is for the main plant for General Electric, then we all know where the ideas come from…..

Profile photo of Michelle Quarry

I think they are a few different ways that Scott comes up with his ideas which are as follows:
    1. Scott is the devil and therefore has no problem coming up with sick and twisted and oh so good stories
    2. He is working for the devil
    3. He made a deal with the devil :P

Profile photo of Mitch Barchi

There aren’t any rules saying life has to conform. People are too close minded and try to add commonalities to their “aliens” to make them more comprehensible.

Profile photo of Daniel Dziubanski

Since You’re so active with the net…Email,Twitter,facebook,IM etc etc when the hell do you find the time to write? I follow your
    twitter messages… goes something like this:

a) Ok, I qiut my FT job, and I’m going to write
    b) I wrote somet stuff, (20 twitter messages)
    c) I’m going out for coffee (more twitter messages, more posts)

800 Pages Long 30-40 episodes – 8 months .. Bring IT

Time to make the donuts? 6:25 am

:)

Profile photo of Matt Ball

I thought/hoped you were of that opinion, your aliens were too believable to have been spontaneous.
    Does that mean you have good scientific explanations for all the races attributes (floating Harah, radiation proof quyth) I’d love to hear them =).
    I also agree with the lame humanoid alien plans suresly the star trek guys could have dressed up dogs or parrots or something.

Profile photo of

Check out Scrivener (only for Mac, sorry). With the kind of complicated plots used by people like me and J.C. Hutchins, it’s hard to keep track of all the threads. What’s worse is when you move or delete one scene, it has a domino effect to muck up your continuity. I use Scrivener because each scene is its own little file, and you can move them around at will without cutting and pasting. It also gives you a cool "notecard" feature to see each scene, you can color-code the scenes however you like, and it gives you a big outline feature. It’s hard to work with at times, and about 2-3 times a day I wonder if I should go back to one long MS Word doc, but sticking with it for NOCTURNAL. 

Profile photo of Kevin Wagner

Sigler = god

Profile photo of David Lodge

What can I say, I’m a connoisseur of the very worst the film industry has to offer. I am hopelessly hooked on the SciFi Channel Original Movies.

The ways of the Lord are often dark but never pleasant.

Profile photo of Mebygod oneofthelesser

Excellent insight.. { yes like a bore scope}

Profile photo of Mebygod oneofthelesser

the Easter bunny has always firghten me… and if the Sci-fiChannel does a killer bunny, I wold expect to see John Cleese bring suit as I believe that Monty Phyon was the first to do a killer bunny[ with mean nasty toothies}

Profile photo of David Lodge

Actually, given their penchant for putting colons in the titles of their movies, it’s probably be something like “Deadly Sunday: The Easter Bunny’s Revenge”. My theory is the use of the colon is a warning to us all, if there’s a colon in the title, the movie itself resembles the contents of one.

The ways of the Lord are often dark but never pleasant.

Profile photo of Brad P. from NJ

See, we all thought that there was some kind of cannibalism involved in there somehow. I mean, I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, but now we all know that you consume ideas from other people… freaky… Do you use your bizarre powers to kill people, or is it all done by your junkie hordes? :p

——-

Whole Lot of Nonsense PodCast – http://www.wholelotofnonsense.org
    UUCSH Sunday Services – http://uucsh.libsyn.com
    Follow Me – http://www.twitter.com/bpende
    Pownce on Me – http://www.pownce.com/bpende

Profile photo of Dustin Climer

Theres always 2006’s “Easter Bunny, Kill! Kill!” That looks interesting.

SciFi lost a lot of my respect when the contract ended with Mystery Science Theater 3000……… Tears abounded, but luckily there are tons of MST3K episodes running around the internetz.

Profile photo of

I usually start from the single-cell concept and evolve the creature in my head. I want to create original creatures, but logical, scientifically sound creatures. And I’m not of the school that thinks everything is going to evolve into a bipedal humanoid. People who come up with those kind of "aliens" aren’t even capable of looking around the planet and seeing the amazing diversity of form we have. So the aliens usually have a few things in common: 

1) There are no "super predator" sentient beings: It’s humanity’s weaknesses that drove the evolution of intelligenge as an evolutionary advantage. If we had big teeth, big claws, armored skin, et cetera, why would we need to evolve intelligence? It’s our vulnerabilities and weaknesses that drove developments like weapons, clothing, tools, etc. So the aliens may have unique physical characteristics, but the sentient ones all have ample weaknesses and no "super powers."

2)  They do not look like people with crap on their face. I loath the "Star Trek" aliens. I know most of that is due to budget, which is cool for TV, but in books, the aliens don’t have to look like people. I mean, come on, people, open a fucking science book from time to time.

3) They do not look like "wolf men" or "lizard men." The idiotic concept that out there, somewhere, another planet also evolved dinosaurs, but they didn’t have the extinction event so the dinosaurs (or insert other animal here) grew to sentience is retarded.  The odds of another planet producing a "reptilian race" similar to Earth reptiles is astronimical. Aliens evolve their own base structure from which species branch out. I make that base structure something unique, and make it something other than your standard bipedal quadraped. 

4) Hatred is an evolutionary advantage: the concept that someday we will have this magical society where everyone gets along is a crock – that’s the land of happy ponies, it doesn’t exist, it will never exist. If we hate each other so much, and we all basically look the same, imagine how we’ll feel about something that looks more like a nasty cricket than a person … and, most importantly, imagine how they will feel about us. Racial tension, or species tension, really helps to establish the aliens as "real" to us, because that’s something we see on a daily basis (if not in person, in the news, movies, history books, etc).   

Profile photo of

Every two-bit myth has a home on the SciFi channel’s original movies. Wow, stinker central. I don’t think we’ll see any Sigler monster up against traditional monsters. I’m wondering when they’ll get around to "The Easter Bunny’s Deadly Revenge."

Profile photo of Alexander van Houten

I am interested what do you write with. Do you start with notes on paper or is it all on computer. I have a bias to Textedit in OS X, because of its simplicity and Omni Out liner for trying to organize my self. So what tools do you the great creative genius of the 21century use to releace your will on the world

Profile photo of Dustin Climer

When are we going to see some Quyth VS. Chupacabra???

Profile photo of Matt Ball

how do you come up with such diverse and believeable races?
    do you plan out the creature first than think up back story; personalities home planets or do you think up a creature to fit a niche?

Profile photo of Bob Bayless

It is my favorite of all your stuff. I love football #1, but I also love Scifi and the detail you put into the creation and backstories of the races is just amazing. Where did the idea come from?

Peace…

Nite

Profile photo of Scotty G

I was wondering if you had anything beyond an 8th grade reading/writing ability?

I’m joking! Seriously, what’s your educational background? Any litterary props to the peeps in the cheap seats?

Profile photo of Mark Wheeler

do you like have to be in one speccific place/spot to get the juices flowing or is it just like anywhere?

~Do You Know How Many Birthdays There Are In a Year?…….Hundreads….Litearly..Hundreads,~

Profile photo of Silverthorn

Scott,

I am interested in knowing when you found that writing came easy for you. Is this something you have always wanted to do for a living? Or is it a hobbie that has really taken off for you since podcasting came along.

Sheryl E.

Profile photo of

I read a lot of science mags, the popular stuff, not hardcore journals. Ideas come from there. I get little ideas, things that are cool, but not enough to make a book worth the Junkies’ time. These things accumulate and kick around the brain. Then I walk down the street, drive, I see things and often think “well yeah, I see that, but what if it could do THIS instead?” That’s when the scientific stuff pops up again. It’s like a giant cyclotron in my swollen head, full of swirling ideas that eventually collide and combine into heavier elements. Eventually 5-6 things come together, and there’s the original idea.

-Scott-

Profile photo of Silverthorn

Scott, I am curious, just where do you get the ideas for new stories?

Are you one of the lucky folk that can spit out new stuff easily or do you like to hang out a cemeteries like Stephen King did, lol I don’t think you are that weird are ya?

Today I read an article online about some mysterious creature that supposedly sucks animals dry of their blood down in Texas. A woman and some of her friends supposedly have the bodies of three of these creatures. Are you interested in that tidbit.

Sheryl E.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.