This topic contains 26 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of matt moore matt moore 2 years, 9 months ago.

What's up with the word "shuck" in The Starter podcast?

What’s up with the word “shuck” in The Starter podcast?

The word “shuck” makes both the book and the podcast versions of the book young adult friendly, which opens it to a larger audience. You’ll find it’s the only version that doesn’t have “shuck” in it is the audio version of The Rookie. The print version of both The Starter and The Rookie as well as the audio version of The Starter all utilize “shuck”.

Scott’s talked about the decision to go in that direction in a couple of outles. While I for one don’t mind the swearing, I can see where it makes sense from a business standpoint. Larger auidence = more funds to make more stories. If you’re familiar with Battle Star Galactic’s use of “frak”…it’s a little along the same lines. A little compromise to hear some great fiction.

Is there going to be a verison put out that uses the real words instead of young-adult friendly words like “shuck” because if you listen to The Starter after listening to The Rookie the word “shuck” gets really annoying.

(print, eBook, audiobook, podcast) of all of the remaining books in the GFL series are going to be Young Adult versions.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

what kind of linguistic developments will occur over the next 700 years – language is constantly evolving and being influenced by events and technology. If you said 15 years ago “just google it” there’d be a lot of strange looks.

“Go Detroit on it!”

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

the characters in Judge Dredd’s universe all say ‘Drokk’ or ‘Drokking’, so it does work.

And, as mentioned by Gmork above, it is an excellent business decision to open up the Siglerverse to younger readers.

Stay Alive – N

Thanks for that bit of informastion necol! I didn’t know Judge Dredd had it’s own word as well. Actually I didn’t even know there was a Judge Dredd comic!! How exciting!!

…the FDO created a remastered mature audiences edition. I want to know if there will be a mature audiences edition of The Starter

Krakens kick major ass!

and is a British comic, although there have been graphic novels released in the US with Dredd and various other characters.

And, the Stallone movie was really poor… but there’s a new Dredd movie coming out soon.

Personally, replacing a swear word with another alternative is perfectly acceptable and soon becomes part of the story. I actually think that swearing detracts from the story on occasion, and if the end result is to take a product to a wider audience, then I commend such a move.

Stay Alive – Neil

here. And the Rookie was originally released as a mature edition. The remaster was just to improve sound quality.

This may have been toungue in cheek but never the less it helped me get over the shuck factor by having a context in the Rookie Universe.

See the DØ’s comment below

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/4835#comment-125941

…I was way out of my league when I looked at that link you provided!!! I didn’t know where to start. Makes sense now that you say its been going on since the 70′s. I love the cover art of the issues I did look at. Looks much darker than the movie portrayed it…. more like Lobo (who is one of my all time fav comic characters).

Supposedly the film is not location specific and could have been made in any country in the world. But the affordability of South Africa as a film destination and the new high tech Cape Town Film Studios provided the movie producers with the ideal combination………..The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

NUMFAR! Perform the Dance of Joy!
    That just made my morning. For me the Stallone version went crap about 2 mins in when he took of his helmet to reveal a) his face and b) it was totally unscarred and c) his face! GAH!!!!!!
    – Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

… you never get to see Dredd’s face, so it was a bummer when it happened in the movie.

Stay Alive – N

and some of the epic story-lines are… well, epic!

Judgement Day, The Apocalypse Wars and the recent Tour of Duty.

Stay Alive – N

200AD presents Conan meets Lobo.

Also up there were the ABC warriors, The Ballad of Halo Jones, Chopper, and Hewligans Haircut.

Conan and Lobo?!! That’s shucking AWESOME!!!

(see what I did there…lol)

No really, seriously, I need to go find that right now! A Conan vs Lobo smack down has to be pretty epic

There are many example of writers and directors coming up with new ways to swear while keeping it suitable for the younger auidence, sure it’s a bit silly but more money for the FDO means he will take over the world all the sooner.

that brought back memories of my older brother reading them! Stunning artwork in those comics. It used to scare the pants off me.

[flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

I still read them!

if he kept any. I’ll have to ask him in the morning.
    [flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

i rather like “fargin” like from the movie jonny dangerously….”you fargin sneaky bastich!” yeah i may spout words like a sailor, nut mixing it up a bit and changing the way you swear can bahold a lot of new words!!!

Being only sixteen (go ahead, laugh), I consider myself to be of the young adult group. But honestly? I have listened to almost every single Sigler story. No one my age would even flinch hearing a few F bombs instead of “shuck.” I think I started hearing swearing regularly when I was twelve. My mother does appreciate not hearing the FDO swearing through my headphones anymore, but all she ever reads is Nora Roberts. I’m getting off topic, soooo…. Young adult novels include plenty of swearing these days. I think that’s the point I’m trying to make.

I dont mind the bad words in books or podcast. I think some authors over do them and it makes them sound very tacky. But using the right amount of swear words is ok. Like in the GFL series if I was in the game and a Heavy G tackle me I be like “Damn that Fing hurt.” but I wouldnt be saying every other word.

Don’t hate someone because they are different, just be glad that you have meet them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.