This topic contains 209 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Avinjer Avinjer 2 years, 9 months ago.

What to do when you see spam or advertising links

The sad facts are that we now have spammers in the forums. Users who actually take the time to register, post, comment and then post a spam link. Odds are it was a phishing link. It could have resulted in a virus to whoever clicked on it, but we were not stupid enough to click on it and find out. Look out for shady links and use your head. They’re fairly obvious. This one said something like “Apply for an Interest Free Loan UK”

I consulted with Pulsar about the matter and we have decided to institute a zero tolerance policy on both spamming and commercial linking. If we see spamming or commercial linking from ANY user, there’s not going to be any questions or arguing about it. That account will be deleted and all that users posts will be deleted as well. If in doubt, don’t post the link.

This is no reason for panic by any means. Personally, I’m choosing to view it as a compliment to Scott’s success. If spammers are beginning to target us, we have reached the big time, right? As far as the account deletions go, y’all have been fine so far. I doubt any legitimate user would do anything as tacky as post a link like we’re talking about. So go ahead and carry on harassing one another and have fun.

I do ask that you help us patrol the forums if you would. If you see a shady post, please report it to ARealGirl (∅) or Sadock. The FDO has designated us as the Spaminators in addition to our other duties. We’ll take a gander and annihilate the gorram bastich if it’s warranted. Or send a Nocturnal after them. Whatever seems most appropriate. Hey, maybe we can feed them to Mommy? Whatcha think?

The protocol is pretty simple:

1. Email A or Arioch (one of the Duo of Døøm/ Spammer Assassins™) at ak@scottsigler.com or arioch@scottsigler.com respectively
    2. Send us the link to the spam post. It helps to give us a direct link to the comment the spam is in if you know how to do that. Basically you click on the title of the comment.
    3. Do not click on the spam link.
    4. If all you can send is the overall thread link, describe where in the thread the post is, and reply to it with something like: POSSIBLE SPAM; ASSASSIN EN ROUTE.
    5. We will find it & kill it.

I’m serious about #3. That’s what the wankers want you to do. If you click the link, it might be a harmless advertisement, but it could also give your computer a virus, trojan, or other malware. Just don’t do it. That’s the other reason we want to kill these quickly (and label them until they’re dead). Some folks aren’t as experienced as others. They won’t be able to recognize a spam post and will click on a dangerous link.

Thank you for helping to keep our community safe for everyone to plot world domination in peace. Cool

-Sadock

Having worked first hand in phishing/fraud detection and prevention, this is no joke… but a little common sense and an open eye will save us all a lot of headaches.  These first steps of a) alerting us of the issue and b) establishing a process for handling it are certainly the right direction. Thanks for the heads up.

Too bad so many people suck at it Tongue out

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

I remember a while back some random person posted a thread asking for monetary donations for some charity.  It was someone who was not active on the forums and it was quite uncomfortable.  I’m all for giving to charity, but it’s good to know someone is making sure these posts are legit!

Proud member of GirlCo! 

set the offending person up as a tackling dummy for John Tweedy and Mum-O-Killowe. 

**UNdead/GirlCo - We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

If you see anything that looks suspicious (or makes you uncomfortable) shoot Scott a line. He’ll make the call.

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

She is the one to contact if you see a post that looks suspicious or you think (or know) is spam. If you feel more comfortable contacting Gmork or me, that’s chill too.

However, we do ask that you please not contact Scott or Paul about the spamming issue. They’ve both got much larger projects on their plates. World Domination takes a lot of concentration, you know Yell Scott would still love to hear from you about his work and anything else you have feedback on. Just not spam, please. Thanks for understanding.

• was approved by the FDO (who got the first patches after I had them made).
  • So far, everyone that has followed thru and actually paid for their order has recieved their patches.
  • BTW: did you know that DOMREC patches are legal tender for buying part of a copy of the Rookie?
  • Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!  UNdead Knight!  King Vampire of Vampire Corp for Sigler (VC4S)!  Pusher once, and now Pusher twice.

That seems rather silly Tongue out

And exactly how many pages will a patch purchase, anyways?

• I paid the rest with money. 
  • Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!  UNdead Knight!  King Vampire of Vampire Corp for Sigler (VC4S)!  Pusher once, and now Pusher twice.

makes me uncomfortable… body eating robots and Julie Andrews mind control to name but a few

does have a certain ring to it, eh?

If I keep this up, I may wind up with a nom de guerre based upon my ability to dub people with pseudonyms!

Not that I’d mind. I was pretty stoked when Scott called me the Producer of DøøM in the update the other day. Particularly when I realized the double entendre of it. Now I’m a true PøD person. Muahahahaha!

…..is inherently creepy. Mind control or no. Point taken.

and after the press release saying that they would feed on "ahem" "Biomass" they changed it to twigs and shit to imply that they were vegiebots and thus not going to defile corpses and/or take over the world … still disturbing that the gospel according to vegetarians is spreading!!!

1. email A (aka Director of DøøM/ aka Spammer Assassin™) at kovacs@scottsigler.net
    2. Send her the link to the spam post. It helps to give her a direct link to the comment the spam is in if you know how to do that. Basically you click on the title of the comment.
    4. If all you can send is the overall thread link, describe where in the thread the post is, and reply to it with something like: POSSIBLE SPAM; ASSASSIN EN ROUTE.
    5. A will find it & kill it.

I’m serious about #3. That’s what the wankers want you to do. If you click the link, it might be a harmless advertisement, but it could also give your computer a virus, trojan, or other malware. Just don’t do it. That’s the other reason we want to kill these quickly (and label them until they’re dead). Some folks aren’t as experienced as others. They won’t be able to recognize a spam post and will click on a dangerous link.

Thank you for helping to keep our community safe for everyone to plot world domination in peace. Cool

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

All you gotta do is read the announcement above and post a reply to this comment that says you read it.

This will:

1. keep this thread on the active list so everyone knows what to do when they see spam.
    2. give you 5 tasty CHs
    3. keep this comment and the announcement together, assuming everyone does it right.
    4. prevent me from getting any gratuitous CHs. I want to make sure people see this, but it’s not fair for me to get all the CHs for it. Sharing the nommy Crack is much more just.
    5. let us know that you’ve seen the announcement. This is the least important since most of you are pretty net savvy. Yet it’s our job to protect our less knowledgable Junkie brethren. Junkie solidarity FTW! We can’t have Julie Andrews or Meth Pigeon infecting our infantry. That would be totally unacceptable. The Sigler Horde protects its own, dammit. Cool

You by no means have to do this. Just struck me as a good idea. If no one wants to do it, I’ll keep bouncing it up from time to time. So neener :P~~~

Horrible screaming death to spammers.

DEATH TO ALL SPAMMERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pusher & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

so you’re saying we should spam this thread for CH’s? i’m in ;-)

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

assassin.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

what the hell. I can’t believe they would take the time. but then again why not with the possibliity of hitting so many at once. well now that A is on the trail. YEAH!!!!

Happy to help where i can.

BigJohn

may we mock the spammer unmercifully until the thread is deleted?

the trick to staying sane is to just out-crazy the world

……that are associated with that thread when A comes around and Annihilates the spammer. If you’re fine with that, feel free.

…….transpired. I generally monitor the most active threads, and those do not include the blogs or the front page topics for whatever reason. No idea why.

I’ll put it in as a site request and we can see what happens. I’m guessing it will have to wait until the next Drupal upgrade. Not sure when that will be.

I’m sure there will come a time when it will be necessary for one of the site moderators to make a hard call that will go something like this:

1. Hmmm, this picture’s too big.
    2. Guess I’ll have to go in and re-size it/scale it down
    3. Oh, they didn’t link to an image, it’s just one big image.
    4. No way to re-size that
    5. Guess the picture has to go.
    6. I really wish they would have given me an option, but I wasn’t left with much of a choice

I’m not sure if y’all saw when people were posting pictures of their ROOKIE books as they received them. Some folks were being extremely obnoxious with image size. Scott had to scale down several of them.

There are two reasons not to post huge pictures: 1) It takes up storage space and more importantly 2) It clutters up the forum threads for no reason.

That’s why we definitely prefer you use the Flickr system. You can post images as large as you want over there. Then you post a small or medium preview here which links directly to that image. It’s a win for everyone and the site still looks nice.

…having this topic pinned at the top of the Website Annoucements forum. That way, in case it drops off of the active list, it will still be at the top of that forum.

<insert witty comment here>

Leaving no trace of what was said? Meaning I can go Captain Caveman on some douche-spigot and will be absolved of all of the karma hits I would take for doing so?

Sweeeeeet.

Any CH’s associated with a thread or as a reply to post that is deleted go bye bye also. Trust me I know! ;)

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m] KISS’d by Sigler. Honored recipient of the “Iron Man” Award. Pusher twice over.

UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

wow, what a drastic blow to the CH’s. hehehe

GirlCo will be merciless with the spammers. Laughing

• Proud Member of GirlCo, Evil Incarnate, and Pastry Princess

Richno3…….out

Nothing escapes my grasp motherfuckers !! Nothing !! Not demons,angels,saints,damned,not even god or satan,not even that sadist bitch called the angel of death. You’re all my bitches because there aint no place to run and hide you stupid talking monkeys !

we should be commenting here and on the CH forum to get some tasty +5, every time we sign on.

WOOHOO!

if the thread is in danger of falling off the Active list – then you get a “reward” of +5 crack hits. Gratuitous crack hits should be kept to the CH forum. Wink

in the written word. my BAD

I was playin’ too! Laughing

You really are moving up in the Crack Hit List. Keep it up.

Richno3…….out

I meant that I was moving this thread back up to the top of the Active Forum Topic list. Getting crack hits for no real reason is what the Crack Hits thread is for. But thanks for noticing! Tongue out

[flickr-photo:id=4328792071,size=s]

THAT was funny!!! Laughing

I grew up eating Spam. That pic actually look really delicious right about now. *drool*

all miscreants! +5CHs

Thanks, Pee Wee

nom nom nom

I, just like Gmork, grew up with SPAM…. I can’t imagine life without it.

When backpacking round oz… mmmm you can’t beat it unless you’re able to lick your own anus!

Trying to visualize the logistics of that…emoticons

You are actually trying to visualize that???? Surprised

i’ve never had the pleasure of eating spam. but sometimes i wonder if that really is a bad thing.

I’m thinking some of those Cirque du Soleil guys could *definitely* achieve that!

you are Gmork, I be they could….

<insert witty comment here>

Now that’s hilarious!

Talk about tongue-in-cheek humor…

who’s super bowl party is serving the spam? some one out there knows its true.

(bump)

Not spam related at all, but Arioch commenting w/o thinking first? Before KM slapped me around some?

Funny thing is, that when I requested my comment be deleted, I didn’t have a clue that would happen. That was ages ago……

So not a scolding Tongue out

1. email A or Arioch (one of the Duo of DøøM/ Spammer Assassins™) at kovacs@scottsigler.net or sadock76@msn.com respectively
    2. Send us the link to the spam post. It helps to give us a direct link to the comment the spam is in if you know how to do that. Basically you click on the title of the comment.
    5. We will find it & kill it.

so here I go putting it back at the top.

or I suppose we could be DøøMinatørs if you like Cool

or perhaps Harbingers of DøøM

The Dynamic DøøM Duo. That way you can say, “Holy evisceration, A…there’s a thread with spam in it!”

I needs more.

….the groans from the horridness of the pun would deafen me. My ear’s in enough pain as it is Tongue out

getcher ass back up here!

and good to know that a hole in the head is not always the end of the world.

can’t get an image to load.

so I brought it back up!

Thus far the hole in my head has been of little help

<grumbles> So not looking forward to the merry old chase for brain tumors/cancer with an MRI et al ending in the doctor shrugging his shoulders and saying “Hell if I know what the fuck’s wrong with you…” </grumbling>

you were almost down to the second page!

Whatcha doin’ way down there?

BigJohn

I’m here to help save the day, as well. Little buddy Smile

cause nobody likes spam.

to keep the spammers at bay.

This public service brough to you by

BigJohn

and

The letter S and the number 4

Sliced thin, fried crispy, and drenched in ketchup….mmmm

you now frighten me.

for a white trash party I threw a few years ago. It was surprisingly delectable!

BigJohn

Does Big John drive an Audi, by chance?

That was really just a coincidence; I was going for the whole Sesame Street sponsorship thing…picked S and 4 totally at random.

BigJohn

back to the top.

in a sweet-ass ’83 GMC G-15 van?

TWICE the grabby action!

this bad boy was off the list!

Is the current plan still in effect, or am I just raping a dead thread?

Everytime I check it’s not quite at the bottom. But I’m keeping an eye on it!

BigJohn

Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Isn’t this thread pinned now, so it can’t move down? Or am I completely misunderstanding? xD

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

But it keeps sinking. I don’t think it’s pinned. I bet athanas keeps unpinning it, just so he can pad his crack stats by pulling it back up.

That’s totally something he would do.

BigJohn

and I believe we’ve been asked to keep it on the top 15 list, so I’m just doing my part as a crack whorin’ junkie.

what do the Spaminators do with the offenders? Do they annihilate them, send a Nocturnal after them or feed them to Mommy??? Or is the fate of each decided randomly???

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Consider it yoinktificated

BigJohn

Huh. I guess, if it really isn’t pinned, you guys are doing your job, cause I’ve never noticed it not at the top anymore. :P Keepiing it in the top 15 makes sense, though. I wonder if there could be another box for important (pinned?) topics and that way things like this would always be linked somewhere…

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

I dunno what the hell I’m saying anymore :P

Ah! Well, that works as well.

What are saying?

But I do know I just brought this topic back on the active list!

I might add.

BigJohn pulls the thread up, up, up to the TOP!

BigJohn

All hands on deck! Avast, ye lubbers!

BigJohn

Yo ho ho and a bottle of Guinness!

BigJohn

I’m pulling this one back up so it doesn’t drown.

BigJohn

Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly)

Jayguana

Make everything hit bottom?

Faith – that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

yoink!

Neglecting this most important thread!! (yoink)

“Imitation is the highest form of flattery” Laughing

what gimmick was that?

and suddenly it’s the “cool” thing to do.

Faith – that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

“Imitation is the highest form of flattery” Laughing

Best way to deal with Spammers

Funny Facebook Fails

Undead Champion, HM and Pusher …. Start Cracking with Crack!

No power in the Verse can stop me.

That is made of win! I would love to have seen the look on that spammer’s face after reading the reply!!

!

That’s just disgusting.

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

I get any on you?

is I was lying on my back.

**badoom CHING!**

in honor of athanas Laughing

It’s the new yoink!

“Like the corner of my mind…”

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

didn’t he used to play for the Dolphins?

I’m going to see if my wife is up for “boink.”

Spoooooooooooooooooon!

I <3 The Tick!

good i hate spam FDO shud use there name and make them die the most horebel death

That honor is reserved for only the most loyal Junkies!!!!!!!!!

to the oink!

Thread overboard!

ahOOOOgah

Of down!

Of course.

And here I thought we were improving the cat litter formula!

to the east side…

no that’s not right…

have you or have you not finally got a piece of the pie?

wait a minute, what are we talking about?

Protocol edited into the actual post. That way it never goes down. Thanks to all for keeping this in the top 15.

How’s your ear?? You haven’t been around in a while and we were starting to get worried!

If it gets worse, I’ll get an MRI. Can’t really afford it given the current situation

so only non-junkies should be fleeing.

I’m sorry to here that.

Or am I confusing you with another of our lovely ladies?

I didn’t even realize I did that!!!! That’s what I get for not previewing my comment! I’m so ashamed!! {hangs head low}

I *frequently* have to go back and edit my comments because I read through them right after they post and see something that’s wrong.

after you said something, but apparently that option is no longer available after someone replies to the post…

Oh well, I never claimed to be perfect, just pretty damn close! Tongue out

I can fix it for you if you like, but people might get a bit confused about what this discussion thread is about ;)

I’m ok with leaving it just the way it is.

that I’ve been around lingerie that would have benefitted from a garlic scent.

needed a bump

*high five**

you know it.

This thread can turn so random. I love it.

that I am doing a bumpy car ride or a stiff breeze right, too. :-p

Do it well. Good for you! Laughing

Bravo, madam, for you have stumped me at my own game. I cannot think of a witty, snide, or smart ass response to this.

Well done.

I’ve followed your posts though – I do not believe you can truly be stumped for long! You are far too quick on your feet, er, mind, for me!

Definitely a semantic gray area when you use ‘for’.

is his name Buzz Killington?

Rise up!! (and pre-order your copy of The Starter)

normally after a sandwich and a sports drink, sometimes a smoke, I’m good to go again.

**snaps fingers**

Boosh! Still got it! :-D

So it was good for you too? Cool

how did you know my knickname was “Smoke”?

BigJohn told me!

Yeah….you’re alright.

and nobody is paying attention to this little thread.

Poor guy.

still left alone in the corner…uncle bob will treat you right…that’s it, take the crack

Whatcha doin’ way down there?

that’s a wee bit creepy.

ascension of the spam thread to coincide with the starter (albeit a day late)

I’d think people were trying to keep this thread down!

Up in the main bar (under the contagious book). This thread is officially dead, methinks.

Gutter Sistren whipping boy

A put the important part up in the top menu bar.

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

Ve veri veniversum vivus vici (idea’s cannot be killed)

Logged on this morning and the Who’s New block is full of spammers. WTF? My hat’s off to the crew who normally kills these guys but you must all be at SiglerFest or too depress about not being at SiglerFest to do the killing.

Thank you admins. What a lovely bunch of human beings.

Hopefully the issue will become moot after we implement the neb design.

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

It will be interesting to see if the new design works as advertised and how long it will take for the efing spammers to find a work around. I’m voting for you and your design.

even on holiday I nuked em for ya!
    Thanks for the heads up.

[flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

While strolling through the spam one day
    In the merry merry month of May
    BAM BAM, DIE YOU BASTARDS!
    Sorry, had a moment there.

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Logged in after returning from Army Training and I get to attack and kill about 30 spammers. I love the smell of burned spammer in the morning. Smells like victory.

*Draws the spamslayer* Come forth and taste my blade. One taste to a customer please.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.