This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Alex Rueckl Alex Rueckl 4 years, 10 months ago.

What have you thought of THE ROOKIE re-masters? Give us a quote!

First Run was a lil gritty but you looked past it bc thats how scotts work was. the remastered version just made the story all the more real for me. Scott, never let anyone read your work because no one can read that shit better than you.

love all the stories.

Fuzzy

Ok, so I haven’t listened to the non-remastered podcasts, but I gotta say that this remastered one is nothing short of amazing. I’m LOVING this podcast. I just listened to the 4th game (Chapter 17) as I was coming in to work, and I am so incredibly energized and pumped up with excitement to work that it’s noticeably unnatural.

The background sound effects are great; the production values of this podcast are UNBELIEVABLE. This is so completely enjoyable, I can hardly believe it.

The only negative thing is that some of the episodes I have have some cross-accented dialog REALLY out of sync. One voice talking over another, followed by long periods of silence. Very strange, but an aberration, not a constant.

Scott, thanks for this wonderful podcast. Each one I listen to gets better and better.

BigJohn

on Podiobooks.com and iTunes. Super cool. And some of the quotes here got used. (Yes, I feel a special honor at being one of the chosen.)

Way to go Arioch!

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs!

Thank you for the compliment though. I agree that Scott and I make a good team. A enhances the mix even more.

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

I can’t begin to imagine the number of hours that went into producing the re-cast. Kudos! And I guess the best compliment about the re-master would be to say that it just flowed so well — always sounded clear and even to my untrained ears.

You and the FDO make a good team.

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs! Got my signed copy of "The Rookie"

Be very afraid if you are a fuzzy dog toy or have a squeaker.

[flickr-photo:id=4003405498,size=m] 

That’s a coconut she’s gnawing on… my crazy puppy.

Thanks for asking. I’m going to work on posting some pictures of me in my Krakens t-shirt around the loverly Western Caribean.

I hope that some people will be curious enough to go to the website or check out "the Rookie" podcasts. No confirmed new junkies, tho the Big Guy is well into "Infected" now. 

How was your trip?  Did you pass along the Gospel of Sigler to anyone while you were away?  Wink

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

New book will go up this next Wednesday. Not sure how easy it will be to modify after that. 

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

My first "work" since returning from vacation

"The re-mastered version of "The Rookie" is a great introduction to the Scott Sigler universe. The storytelling is made even more compelling by the voice talents of Mr. Sigler. He gives each alien race it’s own instantly recognizable voice. The podcasts are much more like the old-time radio dramas than someone simply reading. My husband and I enjoyed listening together and were drawn into the excitment of the football games, the intgrigue of the alien underworld, and the funny, fantastic, and compelling characters. The re-mastered version is crisp and clear and the production is of the highest quality. I can’t wait for the sequel!"

I’ll be posting a picture of my sweet, crazy Brittany — Koda the Destroyer when I get home. Not a rat-dog, she’s around 25 lbs. They are bred to be hunting dogs. Really sweet, but totally high energy. She really does vibrate when she has to "sit".

Later! Gotta go get ready to watch the Steelers vs. the GD Detroit Lions!

Thanks for the support and feedback. Much appreciated. Sadock worked his fanny off on this and it shows. Or it "hears." Whichever. 

……so I expect I will be picking quotes in about a week or so.

for the Undead for Sigler cliche or is it a Batman thing?

…. but if she is what I think of as a "booter" dog, I can totally see that! Those tiny little dogs vibrate constantly. In my head the Sklorno do kind of behave that way when they know they’re going to be getting the ball.

Again, you’ll have to let me know what you think of the difference in the Sklorno’s prominence in the re-master versus the originals.There are a few scenes where there are voices overlapping and I had to choose to emphasize certain characters and/or races.

One of the most difficult parts of doing the re-master is the sheer number of tracks that Scott uses in each episode. A novice looking at it would run away in terror Surprised

But they really don’t show off Scott’s feminine side like with Margo…

The Sklornos are my favorite aliens in the Siglerverse — all the trembling and squeaking. They remind me of my Brittany spaniel — she simply is physically incapable of being still unless she’s asleep — and even then she twitches.

…..when he does some of the Sklorno voices. I was laughing my ass off at those when I was going through and remixing everything Tongue out

And the Creterakians aren’t that far off either. He’s definitely got quite a range of vocal talents. THE ROOKIE showcases a lot of effects combined with what he does with his voice itself. 

[flickr-photo:id=3958822882,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3958341944,size=s]

MNF = Monday Night Football = Yes

Dark Knight Marine General

Festina Lente

and tingly. Surprised

Yes, I should be able to come up with something before your deadline. We’ve already gotten through several of the re-cast episodes. Of course, it’s awesome…this is the Big Guy’s first exposure to the podcasts and he’s really getting into it. Lot’s of laugh-out-loud moments — the only thing missing from "The Rookie" pocasts (so far) is Scott doing one of his incredible female voice impersonations. Those are the best.

That’s the only thing I could think of that made sense, but many people who are considering listening to the book will have no clue so I’m going to need to spell it out for them. I want to make sure that I do not misquote you.

[flickr-photo:id=3958822882,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3958341944,size=s]

Oooops. Pretend you didn’t read that Embarassed

That’s fine milady. Do you think you’ll be done by mid to late October? I’m guessing that is when I will be putting together the Podiobooks version. I need to do some minor edits to the 27 core episodes to take off the dated material at the beginning, and then remaster the six bonus episodes and the Q+A episode.

It might be early November. Not sure. There was a distinct structure for the re-cast and hard deadlines for each episode. Scott and I kept racing trying to stay ahead of one another. That was definitely an interesting experience. 

Even if you don’t finish within that time frame, I’d like your feedback (and perhaps a quote) as someone who listened to both versions back to back. Most folks listened to them years apart, so you will be in a very small minority. It’s also possible to update the PB page anytime I need to. One of the advantages of working in a digital medium Laughing

Seriously, though, Thank you! That is excellent. I’m not certain if I will be able to use it in it’s entirety, but, yes, that’s precisely the kind of thing I was looking for.

No, junkies, that doesn’t mean you should try and copy/emulate Lady Gmork. Having a bunch of quotes that all say the same thing does no good. We’ve all seen the way publishers pimp novels on book jackets. I’m trying to do the same kind of thing over on Podiobooks.

Let me close with a quote of my own. Well, sort of. I’m borrowing one:

"Impressive. Most Impressive" 

You frakkin’ RAWK!!!

The remastered version of Scott Sigler’s novel "The Rookie" is a real treat for the audiophile.  Listeners who tend to use headphones while enjoying audiobooks or podcasts will find these remastered episodes to be particularly rich in sound and quality.  All incidental (and sometimes unavoidable) noises, hums or hisses have been removed, leaving only a robust vocal performance by the author.  Futhermore, rather than having to adjust volume levels between episodes there is a seamless consistency in quality and volume from episode to episode, resulting in a cohesive listening experience.  As a I am one that frequently uses headphones, I thank all involved in taking the time and care to offer these remastered episodes at such a high quality.

(And I will offer a pre-emptive "You’re Welcome" for my quote)Wink

Listening to the re-master of The Rookie I found myself drawn further into this intense story. When your heart races everytime the ball gets snapped and you hold your breath when Barnes drops back for the pass, you know your into the story. This is the MNF version of an already great story.

Dark Knight Marine General

Festina Lente

I just started on the original version with the Big Guy (hubby is 6’4") and I need to switch over to the re-cast.

I will listen with an ear towards giving you a nice quote when I get back from vacation.  Zat OK?

As you know (or maybe you don’t Smile) Scott puts all of his work up on Podiobooks.com on a time delay after y’all get it. I take the episodes that we drop into the primary Sigler Audiobooks and strip them down so they are story only. No Scottie speak, junkie call outs, or anything else that is otherwise dated in any way. The idea is to create an archival library edition so anyone who downloads it and listens gets the same sort of thing they would if they bought Stephen King’s latest off Amazon.

We’ll be doing the same thing with THE ROOKIE re-masters towards the middle or end of October. As soon as I recover from doing the re-masters themselves Wink We’ll also be tossing the bonus episode into that edition. What I’d like from y’all if you’re willing, is a quote of what you thought of the difference between the two editions. I’m going to use the best of these to market the new edition.

Please keep in mind that I will need to use a real name for this to be effective. A username simply doesn’t cut it for this to be effective. You don’t need to post your real name here! That’s totally unnecessary. I can get that later if we decide to use your quote. Either Scott or I will contact you. Hell, he might already have it for all I know. I’m not a web admin. They know better than that. Oh, the havoc I could wreak. Muahahahahahha…..

So, have at it!   And no, flattery will not get your quote chosen. Although I do appreciate it Embarassed

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.