This topic contains 1,257 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of ExotiKali ExotiKali 2 years, 3 months ago.

What are you reading now, or what do you recommend?

• Profile photo of ExotiKali

THE MVP ;-)

Profile photo of Mc B

14 by Peter Chiles it came out of the blue but I liked it

Profile photo of Darrin Vice

The immortals by Tracy Hickman Alot different than the dragon lance novels. Really good read if you like the medical aspect of red man it might be for you. I would describe it as an American concentration camp novel.

Profile photo of Gmork

Almost done with I AM LEGEND. I enjoyed the movie version and wanted to see how different the source material was. Wow. Very different. I’m really enjoying the author’s writing style but it took me several chapters to stop comparing it to the movie and just enjoy the story being told. Recommended read but only if you can tolerate that this will NOT be Will Smith in book form.

Profile photo of Shadygirl

I’ve been reading the Signs of the Zodiac series by Vicki Pettersson. It is a supernatural series. It is an interesting read. There are several plot holes, especially in the first books. The writing is tighter in the last half of the series and I really enjoyed the story. The overall story was interesting enough to keep me reading in spite of the problems in the first few books. It is a series with a strong femal lead. She is flawed and makes many mistakes, but that is kind of why I like her. Sh is not perfect but has a great way of figuring things out for herself rather than relying on others.

Profile photo of Morgan LeSergent

Yeah I read Otherland first when I was in grade eight or so; and have re-read them every few years since then.

Profile photo of Gmork

ooooh That’s another series I have waiting to be read! I’ve got the books and have heard nothing but good things about it. Just gotta find the time. Good to know they are worth a re-read though!

I got a bunch of Micheal Slades for cheap at a yard sale a few weeks ago; I also got all four Otherland books for 20$ in all. I’ve read all of the books before; but there’s something nice about doing a bunch of re-reading during the summer break.

Profile photo of Theresa Enos

I finished Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell. It was an interesting read. Now I need to go sully my mind with something violent and bloody and fabulous.

Profile photo of Gmork

IT BURNS!!!!

Profile photo of ExotiKali

I am judging you. Can you feel it?

DEAD OF NIGHT & DRAGON FACTORY were pretty good, but PATIENT ZERO was awesome. If you’re into zombies, Mayberry also has his ROT & RUIN series. I read both books and really liked them.

Profile photo of michael deasey

Being in a zombie phase …I picked up Mayberry’s DEAD OF NIGHT…more like if tom clancy/david balsdacci wrote zombie fiction….it was alright….Decent way to start a kick ass special ops hero series …(JOE “Oo RA” LEDGER),,,Just finished THE DRAGON FACTORY…toss up between starting KING OF PLAGUES….(all 3 of these books are Jonathan Mayberry) and The Walking Dead : RISE OF THE GOVERNOR

Profile photo of Gmork

I so need to catch up with Jonathan Mayberry’s books! I have Assassin’s Code sitting on my dinig room table. Judging me. While I read Fifty Shades of Smut.

ASSASSIN’S CODE by Jonathan Mayberry.

Profile photo of Gmork

Finished Fifty Shades of Smut and Fifty Shades Darker and wow. I’ve read erotica before but this is another level. So much sex I wonder how they didn’t work in a urinary track infection!

Received a lot of warning that there is a bit of repetition and that is definitely true…. this poor author is in desperate need of an honest editor that can give her some alternate phrases.

I did enjoy the embodiment of the main character’s subconscience and inner goddess. Those bits were nothing short of hysterical and effectively conveyed emotions that would have seemed trite if it were just explained. Loved the authors varied vocabulary… I now know what avuncular means.

I think my major problem with these books is the suffocating, interdepency of the main characters relationship. I sort of forgave it because one’s damaged and one’s inexperienced, but any person who survived a devastiing relationship and became stronger for it, would have left this relationship in a heartbeat. I enjoyed the second more than the first because of the character development and revelations. None the less, the sex was gratuitous and it was a page turner.

Profile photo of Jason Russell

After Nocturnal I decided to re-read the Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincon Child. I’m on Dance of Death right now. Working my way to the one about to be released called Two Graves.

Profile photo of Gmork

Finished Sagan’s Diary by John Scalzi. I realized only after I was halfway through the book that it’s a follow up to another book (damn it!), but even so it was an awesome short story. As a stand alone, it really has me intrigued to read the original story it’s based on. While it’s science fiction, the prose is almost poetry. I read it on my Kindle and I probably highlighted 75% of the book for later reading. Really enjoying Scalzi’s work.

We have done that, but you should know, junkies are not known for staying strictly on topic. Expect other discussions to break out sometimes and if there is enough interest then a thread might get started for that discussion.

Profile photo of Gmork

Ok, to toxic’s point, we shouldn’t get off topic here (’cause that never happens…lolololol) so I’ve created a book reading thread at this forum link. Those interested in a weekly reading can follow the discussion there.

And back on topic… Carnie – I am so excited to get more H.P. Lovecraft readings in. I bought a hardbound version of his collected works while perusing book in B&N and I am so excited to learn more about Cthulhu!!
    Profile photo of David Taylor

Currently reading all of the works from H.P. Lovecraft while waiting on Scott to get more stuff out there. Its really good stuff and from my understanding you can get all of his works for less then 5 bucks on iBooks and I’m sure there are other places you can get them as well. Recently finished “Call of Cthulhu” and it was pretty good!

Profile photo of Danny Lundy

Fish-Slap004

That’s not a bad idea. Isn’t infected the 1st book in the modern time line?

PLEASE DONT THINK I AM TRYING TO ACT LIKE A DICK….I am not acting…
    but…..
    Can we start another thread about the FDO bookclub ?
    I subscribe to this thread to find new authors that Junkies are into…my inbox has become a LETS START A CLUB !! discussion….

It could be fun to do Infected and then Contagious with Pandemic coming out.

Profile photo of Belladonna420

HA! This is a loaded question! ;-)

Actually, I wish we could read Earthcore (I’ll tell you why in a sec), but that would require everyone to have a written copy of it and I’m not sure that everyone does.
    The reason I’d like to read it is because, contrary to popular opinion, it’s my least favorite Sigler story and I thought that if I re-read & discussed it with a bunch of Junkies that loved it, maybe I’d appreciate it more.
    But since Earthcore is a long shot, my 2nd choice would be to re-read the book that made me a Junkie in the first place – Infected. :)

I would vote for Ancestor (I’m a little partial to that one) but I would be happy with any of them.

Profile photo of Gmork

Ok since there seems to be a fair amount of interest, which book should we start with?

I like the G+ idea too. Time zones to make it tough but I’m sure several of us would work it out.

Sounds very cool to me. I would be interested.

Stoopid timezones! :(

Profile photo of Gmork

I like the idea of a hangout too! Maybe as an additional bit since not everyone would be able to attend (timezones and all)

Like that idea. I’m up for it

I would be game for doing something like this. Maybe we could even set up weekly or bi-weekly G+ Hangout discussions. :)

Profile photo of Gmork

Ok fellow junkies – how would you all feel about doing a book club re-reading on one of the FDO’s books? Maybe start with Ancestor or Infected and go through specific chapters and talk about them?

TOR.com does this with different books and I thought it would be interesting for us to share our perspectives on the FDO’s works – what you liked, what you didn’t like, what made you squirm, the connection to other works in the Siglerverse…etc.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of Gmork

Awesome! That’s a steal!

Yay! EARTHCORE ordered! The FDØ tweeted about Amazon having paperbacks starting at $33.

Profile photo of Gmork

I’ve been getting into John Scalzi’s short stories and while I haven’t read the one Scott recommended (Agent to the Stars), I did read The God Engines. It was a really short but fantastic read. Inventive and challenging in it’s concepts.

So excited to read his newest novel Redshirts, too.

Snakes in Suits by Paul Babiak and Robert Hare; it’s all about psychopaths in the business world. It’s a pretty interesting book and I’m really enjoying it; though it does feel a little bit like school work in places since a few of my classes covered it this year.

Just finished Dead Things by Matt Darst. It was entertaining, maybe a bit rushed at the end, but a fun way to pass some free time.

Profile photo of Stefani Robinson

I just finished Immortal City by Scott Speer. Save yourself and DO NOT READ THIS BOOK! I wanted to give myself a lobotomy by the end to save myself from the pain.

There is a (semi-new-the audio version came out 2012) ZOMBIE series by MARK TUFO called ZOMBIE FALLOUT….very well written-fantastic characters,,,This guy is is Independent (for now) and you can find him on itunes…Highly recommended

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

I do not read like i used too. finally got started on Nocturnal (see signature below). half way done.
    Aso listening to Underwood and Flinch, The Heavenfield, The Account: Lightening for Hire, Bone Machines.
    i trade off listening. that is just a few of the books i have in my iPod. this doesn’t include the podcast magazines (short stories) I listen to. I recently read Double Share. still have the All-Pro on my to read list (currently listening to the podcast)
    I mostly listen to books, old eyes.

I loved, loved, loved Feed! I would second that recommendation.

Right now I am reading Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, haven’t been able to put it down since I started it.

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

Thanks for the suggestions LadyBane. I’ll definitely check out those books.

I love AREA 187: ALMOST HELL. That is an awesome book. Keep an eye out for the “box brides”. If you like that book you might like FEED by Mira Grant.

I just started AREA 187: ALMOST HELL by Eric Lowther. It is awesome – I can’t hardly put the book down. So far, I would highly recommend this book.

Profile photo of Corbin Hilty

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Crescent by Phil Rossi

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Crescent by Phil Rossi

There’s one already started. It’s here.

Profile photo of GJ

Hey Bells – are you going to do us a thread to talk about it? With spoiler alerts everywhere?

I am reading “Bones: The Complete Apocalypse Saga” on my kindle. It is about a police K-9 named Bones navigating through dangerous apocalyptic scenarios, using all his skills to survive.

Yes, NO SPOILERS!!! For those who haven’t finished, of course! ;-)

Profile photo of GJ

Just finished NOCTURNAL! I’d like to write a lot here.. but I can’t…

In between Nocturnal I am reading Necropolis by Michael Dempsey. Its very good so far. Its like noir, sci fi, post apocalypse, detective crime drama all rolled into one With zombies…well kind of zombies.

Profile photo of Paul DeWig

The Wind Through The Key Hole
    A Dark Tower Novel by: Stephen King
    I just got this book yesterday so I haven’t gotten far, but so far it’s great. According to the forward it takes place between ‘The Wizard and The Glass’ and ‘The Wolves of Calla’ and it reveals more back story to the main character Roland Deschain. I’ll prolly put up more about it when im finished but I’m already recommending it because it’s part of my favorite book series The Dark Tower

At least I didn’t tell everybody about your Justin Bieber tattoo!

I really enjoyed The Hunger Games series. I just finished a series called Wool on my kindle. It was pretty fabulous and way more engaging than the name implies. Just bought Bones are White and I am stoked!

Just finished The Hunger Games and absolutely loved it!!! It made me laugh, it made me cry (bawl my eyes out, actually), it made me gasp in horror, but more than anything else, it made me want to read the next two books in the series. As a matter of fact, I’ve already started Catching Fire! I’m ready for the emotional roller coaster ride that I’m sure this book is going to take me on.

Hellz no! I want to finish it and find out what happens!!! I’m just about done too… if only I didn’t have to work! :(

I am attempting a lesiurely pace….with little success. I am thinking I should limit my Nocturnal reading to only before bed and not take the book outside the house with me. That might slow me up a bit, I want to savor!

Profile photo of Rich Bennett

I am 15% into nocturnal. Really digging the rewrite. Going to take it at a leisurely pace and enjoy this one. Love me some sigler

Profile photo of Rob Stauffer

The Reporter done.

Tell that to Blabber-Mouth-Kali!

Well, I don’t have any unpacking to do but now I know I shouldn’t have done my laundry… and sleep is overrated anyway! :)

Profile photo of Avinjer

I am trying to savor the read so no spoilers ok?

It’s easy if you ignore unpacking, laundry and sleep. BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!

Already?!?!?!?

Finished NOCTURNAL! Now reading BONES ARE WHITE.

Profile photo of GJ

I’m hanging on by a thread.. a very fraid and tired looking thread….

Just 3 more sleeps remember?! You can make it with your sanity mostly intact!

Profile photo of GJ

Sigh :(

Profile photo of GJ

Ooh Lucky you!!! Enjoy!

A Good and Useful Hurt by Aric Davis

It’s a love story, a murder mystery and a thriller all rolled into one. It’s about tattoos, ghosts, piercings, murders, body modification and a gruesome serial killer. It really struck a chord with me and I highly recommend it. If you’re really interested, you can get it from Amazon for Kindle for $.99 today.

LOVED The Reporter! Can’t wait for The Detective!

Just finished the reporter. Fucking great read. Now to start nocturnal. Good times

Profile photo of Avinjer

Nocturnal? Of course. on Ipad.

I am reading….NOCTURNAL!! It finally arrived yesterday. And after I stopped staring at the cover in joy, I opened the book to read.

Nocturnal! Stayed up till 5 am reading it. Woke up and read some more.

Profile photo of Mc B

deep and involving peeling back some incredible layers

Profile photo of Brian Savoie

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher. Love me some Dresden!

AAHH! I am trying so hard to be patient and wait for my hardcover copy! And you guys are not helping :oP

Profile photo of Twainy

I look forward to some genuine SCARINESS!!! My Kindle version is here!! Like I’m gonna get ANY work done today?! Mwa HAHAHAHAHAHA … x

Profile photo of Mc B

So far so perfect some changes but I’m ripping through it

Profile photo of GJ

You hooked me like a fish and I couldn’t bear to wait until May for mine to arrive, so I’ve just bought it on kindle too. It says it won’t come down till the 12th of April, but I can wait a few days longer……

Me too! WØØT!

Profile photo of Mc B

I’m reading the new Nocturnal book oh booyah

Profile photo of Byron Metz

Finally finishing up “Chasing The Moon” by author A. Lee Martinez which is a American fantasy and science fiction author. Took me a few months to get through this novel because I kept on putting the book off to the side and picked up other novels. Anyways It’s a great read and I recommend his work. It’s not as bloody as our FDØ but his writing is still worthwhile.

Profile photo of Gmork

On JP’s and Shady’s recommendation, I picked up Alden Bell’s “The Reapers are the Angels”. I loved this book so much, I took a lunch at work for the first time in a decade just so I could finish the last 100 pages of the book.

Absolutely outstanding zombie novel with characters that stay with you. The character development was outstanding, along with the world building. There are layers of depth that allow the reader to enjoy it for the zombie action or to delve deeper into the metaphysical meaning in world gone mad.

Also I loved two things about this author’s writing style – One was that the characters have a cadence to their speech patterns that remind me fondly of Firefly. The author uses the word “marvelment” at one point! The second was that the author effectively conveyed the mental descent into losing oneself. The writing becomes frenetic and disjointed during those brief moments and effectively conveys the mental state of the characters… those moments remind me a lot of reading A Scanner Darkly.

Definitely a good, fast read with a brave, unfliching story. Thank JP and Shady for recommending it!

I am just about finished with Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It is a very creative and original retelling of Cinderella…only with cyborgs and moon people and hovercraft. Some of it has been very predictable, but overall very enjoyable. The characters are crisp and entertaining and the author has a way of never wasting words….she gets right to the point and doesn’t waste sentences to do it, Hemmingway would be quite impressed.

Profile photo of Gmork

Finally finished I AM NOT SPOCK by Leonard Nimoy. A pleasant and surprisingly interesting book. I learned a lot about Nimoy’s career and approach to acting. Very enjoyable and now I can’t wait to read I AM SPOCK, which Nimoy wrote many years later.

Hmmm I wonder, I ordered mine at 9:02 am on the release day. When did you order yours

So what are you saying??? Are you saying because you got yours on Tuesday and I got mine on Wednesday morning around 3 am that you have a lower number of the MVP than I do???? :-P

…went a little overboard myb….

I got emailed my copy yesterday =D
    Also reading:

Sabriel by: Garth Nix.
    This book is the introduction to Garth Nix’s amazing world of “The Old Kingdom” and “Anclestierre” two countries that share and boarder and that’s about it. In Anclestierre, the southern of the two countries, the era is set to be the early 20th Century. Where as in the Old Kingdom the era is the middle ages, better known as the Dark Ages. Between the two countries is The Wall which which acts as a boarder between the two spreading from one coast to the other.
    In the Old Kingdom there is the Charter, a type of magic accessible by pure living humans who have the knack for it, along with Free Magic beings of immense power, these beings are more Magic than a living being, and last of all in the Old Kingdom the main problem with magic is Necromancy. That which has passed from the living world into the River of Death can return to Life either under the control of a Necromancer or as one of the Lesser/Greater Dead. Necromancers are not ‘pure’, because they aim to control the spirits of the dead, as a result this makes them not completely living or dead so they cannot use The Charter. While in Anclestierre its the beginning of the technological boom of the 20th century, people are just beginning to have personal motorized vehicles (or cars) and electricity is still not a completely common thing. The oddities of the Old Kingdom are kept at bay by The Wall and a boarder guard on the Anclestierre side that is very strict.
    The plot of the story revolves around Sabriel, a young woman of 18, who was born in the Old Kingdom to the “Abhorsen”, which is the embodiment of The Charter in a Necromancer (i know i said this cant happen but read further), this is possible because the job of the
    Abhorsen is to send the dead back to the River of Death to pass beyond The Final Gate and experience the True Death, but when the story begins she is finishing up her last year at school in Anclestierre.
    When a “Dead-Hand’ (a lesser dead bound to service of a Necromancer) makes it’s way 20 miles or so south of The Wall into the school Sabriel is attending, Sabriel enters death and finds that its is a messenger, from her father Abhorsen, sent to deliver: The Abhorsen’s Sword, the Bell’s of a Necromancer, the infamous Book of the Dead (a book that can only be opened by a Necromancer but can only be closed by a pure Charter Mage), and the knowledge that her father’s soul is somewhere beyond the First Gate of Death, while his body may still be among the living. Sabriel then heads out to cross The Wall back into the Old Kingdom and find her father before its too late. Along the way she gains a companion in a very curious small white cat that is actually an extremely ferocious Free Magic creature, who has been in the service of the Abhorsen for millenia, and is only kept subservient by an odd combination of Necromancy and Charter Magic.

Much more happens in the book, plus its only the first book in the: Abhorsen Trilogy, and the first book in the Old Kingdom Stories(which includes a compilation of short stories called Over the Wall and various other short story/novella additions, and next year the first full length book about The Old Kingdom, since The Abhorsen Trilogy, is coming out: The Lost Abhorsen)
    (Supposedly there is a Sabriel movie in the makings also.)

One of my favorite authors and one of my favorite books.

I just picked up something called THE REPORTER today by Mur Lafferty and Scott Sigler. Sweet!

Profile photo of Alex83

Okay. As long as we are on the same page.

Another great book that I listened to lately is sigler’s role model is Under the dome by Steven King. To me it should be up everyones alley that is a FDO fan.

Trust me, I know you are not one of that crowd. I went on a bit of a rant but it wasn’t directed at you, it was directed at the dumb dumbs who insist that anything that’s popular is a rip off of something less popular even if they only share one tiny commonality lol. For example, any vampire novel is automatically a rip off of Twilight…even though vampire fiction has been around since at least 1897 and been in vogue since the late 80s, early 90s. It’s highly annoying to me as a reader.

Profile photo of Alex83

I think Enders Game is another good book. I read Battle Royale a long while ago. I am not saying that the hunger games is a rip off of it. I thought both books are good and recommend both. That’s it.

So what about Enders Game? That to is about very young children learning to fight and survive and that book came out in 1985 so all of this books plagiarize Orson Scott Card (just being sarcastic) which is also slated to play on the big screen sometime in 2013.

No I haven’t read Battle Royal.

If by “like that” you mean that kids have to compete to kill each other until one remains then yes its like that. Except that its also completely different lol.

In the last month I have heard more people say “OMG, that’s so plagarized from Battle Royale” I really want to just scream. Having one element of the story the same is not plagarism, nor is it ripping something off. If that were true then didn’t Battle Royale rip off Lord of the Flies, because that has kids isolated and killing each other too.

Sorry, got on a rant there, I realize that’s not what you were saying but I’ve heard more about Battle Royale since the Hunger Games movie previews started that its completely put me off ever being interested in it.

THE REPORTER!!!!!!!!! WØØT!!!

Profile photo of Alex83

I read the series when they first came out. I liked them. have you ever read battle royale. It is like that. should read it.

Profile photo of Twainy

I still can ONLY post from my cell – I tried Bella’s fix but it didn’t work. I miss evvveryone! Serious Junkie Jones! I have FINALLY read every last SS book except Nocturnal cuz I want no preconceived notions when I finally read the print version! I must say that I liked the GFL books a lot! I know, right! But yeah! They are great and so i need to pre-order the next!! I hope the pre-order form works better than the POST form in the forum!! Well i LOVE all of his books and recommend them all! Autumn: Aftermath by David Moody, I think I liked this trilogy better than the Hater one! I miss you! hugg! x

Profile photo of Mc B

just started hunger games don’t know why i waited so long

Read them and loved the trilogy as a whole. The first book I thought was fantastic, I read it in 2 days and immediately went out and bought the next 2 as soon as I closed the cover. The 2nd held just as much promise and didn’t disappoint either. The 3rd….I really don’t want to talk about that because its not worth mentioning lol. But disappointing finale aside, I really enjoyed the series in its entirety.

So has anyone read those Hunger Game novels? And if so what would you rate them?

I agree. I read it a couple of years ago and was very disappointed with it.

Finished House by Dekker and Peretti. Rule number one for books involving a serial killer who is trying to kill everyone…..make sure I actually give a damn that your pathetic characters stay alive! I really hated this one, it nearly made blood shoot out my eyeballs.

Profile photo of David Slate

I just started The Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro. I think it’s a vampire story. I say I think because I bought it on the Kindle and it seems to be heading that way. Very suspenseful (?) so far. Typing with a cast is a bitch.

Didn’t Jake Bible do the story/podcast about the zombies and mechs?

Now reading Shiver by Lisa Jackson…really starting to love her the more I read of hers. And House by Ted Dekker & Frank Peretti….not bad but it reads more like a movie script and that is rather bothersome to me.

I love that movie! But I have not read the book either, I’ll have to fix that, its shameful.

Let’s see…..Patient Zero, awesome, definitely a guy’s guy type book but I loved it. Have picked up Rot & Ruin and have a few others on my wishlist from him.

Finished Article 5 by Kristen Simmons…only took me 3 days, I loved it that much. It was compelling, engaging, and so emotionally draining. I found that I simply could not escape from feeling every single emotion of the characters through the whole book. Surprisingly good for a debut novel of the YA variety.

Now I am working on Divergent by Veronica Roth. Good start, good characters, so its promising so far.

Profile photo of Ricky Craig

Found out you can get Judge Dredd novels for the Kindle. BOOM! I remember trawling every 2nd hand bookshop in Belfast when I was younger trying to find some of those. So currently I’m on Dredd vs Death. It’s not too bad

The Princess Bride. It’s my favorite movie, but I’ve never read the book! Bad Bella!

Profile photo of J.P.

“Zone One” by Colson Whitehead

Profile photo of J.P.

Hooray! It’s a wild ride!

Just started THE AMERICANS by Jake Bible.

Profile photo of Steve Henry

He also has a couple of books called Frostbite and Overwinter for the werewolf fans in all of us!

Profile photo of J.P.

Twainy! You’re back!

Profile photo of Twainy

Fevre Dream – GRRM … I just finished it. Thumbs up! (I miss evvvvvvveryone xoxo)

Profile photo of J.P.

Patient Zero is an awesome book. I picked it up several years ago while at BaltiCon after the FDØ kept recommending it (and walking around with it in his hand) all weekend. It was fantastic. I can’t wait to hear what you think.

Profile photo of J.P.

Me too! I’m starting (and hopefully finishing) Stark this weekend. (More importantly, I hope Stark doesn’t finish me. It’s my kind of town.)

STARK by Jake Bible, illustrations by Big Fish Pondy! Going to start it tonight.

That is one of my favorite zombie books. Mayberry’s ROT & RUIN series is also good.

Oohhh…I have been wondering when someone would write a good Nephilim book. When I mention a plot for one that I have in mind most of the time people just go, what is that like vampires? *eye roll* I will have to look into that and hope the author actually knows what Nephilim are, because that reviewer didn’t sound like they did lol.

Currently I’m reading a book by Renee Pawlish called NEPHILIM: GENESIS OF EVIL. From one of the reviews – “Nephilim is a sort of twist on the vampire novel, a sort of supernatural detective novel set in a lakeside Colorado town, focusing on an ancient evil described in Genesis. I would associate it with the works of Stephen King. Chris Nelson, dreamlogic.net” Gives me chills – and if I were you, I’d watch out for that dark mist.

Just started Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. I am on a zombie kick lately and this one is shaping up well so far.

Profile photo of Gmork

ooooooooh This sounds intriguing! Thanks for mentioning it, Dan

Profile photo of Dan Campbell

Drama – An Actor’s Education by John Lithgow.

John spoke about the power of stories in education, and later performed Stories by Heart at the Masie Conference in November. During the conference he did a book signing. I am just now getting around to reading my autographed copy.

Now reading, Animal Farm by Orwell. Strangely, I never read this when I was in school so I decided to do so now lol

Profile photo of J.P.

I think I just saw a thing recently on TV about The Dishwasher. They were either interviewing the guy the book is about, or another guy who’s doing a similar thing. I tuned in about half way through the interview though, so I’m not positive. Please let me know how the book is!

Lamb is AWESOME. A lot of quick one liner jokes about religion. A lot of the characters show up in other books.

Profile photo of Sleepy Monk

Right now I’m only reading somewhat disturbing Criminology for my final semester, but I can recommend some titles and authors.

The following are biographies:
    Can I Keep My Jersey? by Paul Shirley
    About a basketball player who plays with teams all over the world.

Dishwasher by Pete Jordan
    About a guy who enjoys washing dishes and resolves to wash dishes in every state of the Union.

Now for a couple of authors:
    Brad Warner; A Zen priest who grew up in Ohio playing in punk bands.

Michael Muhammad Knight; An American Muslim novelist (both fiction and non) who, well, look him up on Wikipedia.

I got into a zombie kick and have picked up a lot of low priced stories on Amazon for my Kindle. I’d recomment Day by Day Armageddon (not one of the low priced ones) by J.L. Bourne. I really like the Newsflesh series starting with Feed by Mira Grant. Or The Magicians by Lev Grossman (picture Harry Potter realizing that magic is cool, likes to drink, and have sex). Just started The Road while waiting for Nocturnal to come out. Also try Sandman Slim: A Novel by Richard Kadrey. It’s got a Buffy like humor to it but a LOT of violence. And of course the Harry Dresden series. Just finished Marco and the Red Granny by Mur Lafferty. Interesting. Like it.

Profile photo of J.P.

Consider grabbing a copy of Alden Bell’s “The Reapers are the Angels”. It’s a very readable, pretty cool and somewhat different take on life well after the zombie plague does its thing.

Currently reading Feed by Mira Grant….really loving it so far. Very interesting and different, and I needed a zombie fix.

Profile photo of Mathias Oehlenschlaeger

I can warmly recommend the Pine Creek Trilogy by Jonathan Maberry

Ghost Road Blues
    Dead Mans Song
    Bad Moon Rising
    Profile photo of J.P.

Here’s what I’m working through now:

The Birth of the Dread Remora (by Aaron Rosenberg); Zone One (by Colson Whitehead); A Game of Thrones (by GRR Martin); and We’re Alive (by KC Wayland & Shane Salk).
    Also just finished Matters of Mortology (by TM Camp) and loved it!
    Profile photo of Twainy

LOL I wrote a nice long reply but forgot that I can’t post from my laptop. Argh!

Drizzt, check! I don’t normally like fantasy books, I’m much more fond of the horror end of the sci-fi genre … but it looks like a keeper from the recommendations!! Thanx!

Kali, that looks like my kind of book! I’m heading over to Amazon as we speak! Thanx!

OK … I’ve read A TON of posts … I really need to show up more often! I miss you all! I REALLLY miss the laughter!! You’re all so dam funny! I’m secretly excited about the MVP and seeing what happens to [redacted]!

HAPPPY WEEKEND!!

memo: post has not been proof read – enjoy any typos that autocorrect produced in my iPhone! Hee!! … x

Profile photo of Zombellic

Robert Jordan’s Wheel of time book 13 towers of midnight.

And a biography of Terry Pratchett.

Edit:
    ^ right inspiration.
    Well the wheel of time series is epic with just one more book coming out in 6-12 months time.

I’m a huge fan of the two core Dragonlance books by Weis and Hickman. The Dragons and Twins trilogies.

Like witty comedies with serious message undertones try Terry Pratchett.

Non fantasy Wilbur Smiths River God is one of the best books I have ever read. Plus his triology of Bird of prey, monsoon and blue horizon.

Profile photo of GJ

Hit me with you top 3 recommendations, I need some inspiration!

Profile photo of Gmork

Yay deadlysaxguy! So outstanding to run into another Drizzt fan. I’m a huge fan of RA Salvatore’s works after having spent about month reading through a dozen of his dark elf novels. Love the story arc of that character.

As for what I’m reading, I finally finished “The Strange Affair of the Spring Heeled Jack byMark Hodder. Bit dense and took the whole first half of the book to get started but I really liked the uniqueness of the characters and world. Felt steampunky except with a reason for it to be like that (not just randomly sticking cogs on things and calling it steampunk). Loved the archaic language the author used to make the story feel appropriate to the time. Enjoyable book.

Now reading “I Am Not Spock” by Leonard Nimoy. So far it’s quite interesting and a lot more metaphysical than I thought it would be.

It depends where I am. At work I’ve been reading Assassins Creed. Don’t bother. It’s shit. I mean it’s really crap. I’ve pretty much given up on it and am skimming the last 80 pages. I’ve never played the game but am willing to bet it’s better. During lunch today I will be officially giving up on it and reading Teach Yourself JAVA in 21 Days. Much more useful.

I’ve been reading a lot of Zombie Apocalyptic novels lately- who knew It’d come to that. ;-

Profile photo of Yuhri Miller

The Trader series by Nathan Lowell is awesome but as far a tactile reading experience, I am totally in love with R.A. Salvatore’s works that include Drizzt (a dark elf with a heart of gold). Start with the “Icewind Dale Trilogy” and work your way through them. I couldn’t put them down. I also like “Tales of the Otori” by Lian Hearn. The first one is called “Across the Nightingale Floor”.

Profile photo of Twainy

“that’s a f$cking prom drink … I am going to stab you in the eye. Step on your throat until you die. Then cremate you in that little tile hole in the wall. G$dd$m your black soul.” – Ephram Goodweather – The Night Eternal: Book Three of The Strain Trilogy.

I like evil vampires VS sparkly shimmery love interest vampires … good trilogy!!

Page 22 of the General topic ….. ZzZzZzzZz … I like this thread! Suggest some books for me!!

– Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

Profile photo of Bradley Henry

Combat Cook

Profile photo of Brandon Fletcher

I think i saw an earlier post of yours referring to the Nathan Lowell audiobooks so I decided to give it a listen, glad I did! really got into the story. I’m getting towards the end of full share and I don’t think im going to be stopping anytime soon. Thanks again

“And all I can do is read a book to stay awake. And it rips my life away, but it’s a great escape ……”

Profile photo of nilling

Nathan is a fantastic autor and narrator – happy reading CC!

aka nilling – You Be Illin’

Profile photo of Scott "Big Fish" Pond

… On page 63 so far… Not too bad.

[flickr-photo:id=4872769926,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4872123139,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4933249630,size=m]

scottepond.com

Profile photo of Gmork

I actually went to work groggy several days in a row because I stayed up late listening to his books. Not only are they a great story but Nathan’s voice is a pleasure to listen to!

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

the Jack Reacher series. This is one bad mother…

It is fantastic!!! Reading it to my wife…for some reason she doesn’t like podiobooks…Frown She likes the story…I don’t get it she loves when I read to her but hates podiobooks. I know I don’t do as good a job reading this as Lowell’s reading. Don’t get me wrong I enjoy reading to her…Combat Cook

Profile photo of Gmork

by Jon Armstrong.

I have no idea what this book is about but I bought it because the cover MESMERIZED me. I just started it and hope its a good one!

Profile photo of Twainy

Well I quickly fell asleep listening to this book … that’s ok … who doesn’t like a good bedtime story … But … I agree … I don’t like the narrator half as much as the Joe Ledger books, I can’t get into the story, and I am half way thru the book and can’t decide if I even like any of the characters. He could be setting up a new series of books but I am not as fond of this one as I am of ANY of the Ledger books. I read somewhere that the Rot series was for kids … I will need to give it a shot! Listening to this one turned me off of his Pine Deep series too … has anyone read those books? Somewhat disappointed … I really thought this would be better …

Profile photo of Randy Hinckley

I just finished The Abbey by Chris Culver. It was a pretty damn good read. I’d say 4/5. This is the start of a new series with a detective that doesn’t fit into the normal detective stereotype. Worth picking up as an e-book at the least.

—- I’m 6’3″ and 265, so if Sigler ever puts me in a book as some pussy Quarterback you’ll know why I eviscerated him.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo AND I’m [REDACTED]’s [REDACTED]!!!!!. * *

Wink

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo AND I’m [REDACTED]’s [REDACTED]!!!!!. * *

Profile photo of Twainy

I used to have a long commute … it was usually one CD to work and one CD back home … then my commute became walking into the other room for 5 years and that gave me more time for actual reading so I was able to purge the GIANT backlog of treeware … I love unabridged audiobooks, you’re hearing the book word for word just as the author wrote it. Of course I love reading too … buttttt nothing beats a good voice reading a great book if you ask me. (a bad voice/naration can ruin a book) … ugh I am really far behind here … and there is a sp@mmer lurking that is distracting meeee.

and yell SQUIRREL!! Maybe that will work. Tongue out

I see your point. Bummer. Frown

and podcasts. I listen in my car all the time! Smile

And then on top of it people keep releasing new books -.-

So i have these books: Ancestor (2007 Editions) EarthCore (2005) Infected Contagious Ancestor (2010) The Rookie The Starter The All-Pro Blood is Red

very, very, very, very long “To read” list…

Profile photo of Twainy

It’s a 900+ page investment :o) so Just curious if anyone recommends it.

Profile photo of Twainy

OK just finished it … yes I am certain this time. This is totally NOT my genre … Irish mobster in NYC? BUT the author reveals the story with a perfect pace & character development … sucking you in & making you wanna know WHAT’S NEXT?!! This book is a good stand alone book but I am happy to see that it’s a trilogy. It’s sort of almost unbelievable what happens to this guy but it is so detailed and grisly that I fell for it. I recommend it.

Profile photo of Twainy

Patient Zero & Day By Day Armeggedon are 2 of my favorite zombie books! I read a bad review about Patient Zero so I slacked on reading it. Mistake! I like the Joe Ledger books & that is my favorite! I read the Rot & Ruin series was a young adult series so I have been slacking on them too. I have read all three Ledger books and the 5 short stories that link them and give background on Ledger … Good series and I love the reader!! I may have all if these books so I will give them a chance!! Have you read any of the Pine Deep books?

Profile photo of Twainy

“Progress isn’t made by early risers. It’s made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” – Robert Heinlein

Profile photo of Liam McCoy

go for a classic author: My friend just got me a collection of William Gibson short stories for my birthday, and they’re super sweet. I just read Johnny Mnemonic, which spawned one of several Keanu Reeves movies based off of William Gibson stories.

E Unum Pluribus

So far so good, but I do not have much time to read at the moment so its going slowy.

Do not mess with the affairs of monsters, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

Profile photo of Twainy

or anything similar about the books to string them together? Do they need to be read in order? Which ones do you have?

Profile photo of Twainy

I’ve been annoyingly busy … no time to read like I had planned … did you like it? Is it good? The summary looked promising!

Profile photo of Michael DeRose

I have to say, i love the barnes and noble author collection books. I have about 10 of them and are well constructed. I recommend them big time, but wait for a few more weeks. They have a big sage on boxsets of about 5 books.

“Come follow me! Space Admiral DeRose. I am totally not a rogue pilot that commands the resistance’s naval forces.”

Profile photo of Twainy

I think I have something like it. In the past when I could afford it I collected these hard cover ‘library’ collections. Poe, Lovecraft, Faulkner, Shakespear, etc. I have a rather small house so any time I can get a giant compilation of a good authors life work, I think it’s worth it!? Good reading!

Profile photo of Gmork

Barnes & Noble has a lovely hardbound edition of HP Lovecraft’s complete works of fiction. I bought that bad boy and can’t wait to get my Cthulu on Smile

Profile photo of Amiko

Wathced through the TV show season in two days.

Started to read the first book, was instantly hooked and within two weeks read all the five books avilable so far: on job, at home, at night, in the morning, etc.

“Game of Thrones” – “Clash of Kings” – “Storm of Swords” – “Feast for Crows” – “Dance with Dragons”.

NB. No dead trees were used for this reading.

So far not too shabby, I’m finding it a quick read. Very interesting, I can’t wait to see how it pans out.

Do not mess with the affairs of monsters, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

Profile photo of Michael DeRose

I just got caught up on the Honor Harrington series (A MUST FOR SCIFI LOVERS…EPIC SPACE WAR OPERA) I am currently trying to get caught up on Raymond Feist’s newest books in the Magican series and i havent even started the last release by George RR Martin. (he is a great guy, he signed my stuff on release day)

“Come follow me! Space Admiral DeRose. I am totally not a rogue pilot that commands the resistance’s naval forces.”

I was apprehensive to read something written by the host of one of my favorite shows. But it is very funny and witty and I love it.

Profile photo of Brady Chapman

BlackShard Syndicate ShardBorn Forever!

it is going on the ever lengthening to be read list

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

Grey Wolf

[flickr-photo:id=5069323983,size=m] “Lundy is my agent, Q! He’s the man. He’ll tear the tongue out of anyone who gets in your way.”

I have yet to meet a Lisa Jackson book I didn’t like. It always ends up way more twisted than I expected and this was no exception.

Profile photo of athanas

and as bleak as it was, it couldn’t hold a candle to the book.
    Very, very well done piece of literature. I read it in a day.

Profile photo of athanas

Dozer, seriously, pick up a copy of this and “Notes from a 12th Man”. Very much worth the price.

Profile photo of GJ

It’s pretty gory and I’m liking it so far. See Here

A cop’s daughter, Jody is sleeping over at a friend’s when the killers break in. They slaughter the family but Jody escapes, killing a man on the way out. All rapist and murderer Simon Quist has to do now is dispose of the one eyewitness to the massacre. And he can’t wait to get his hands on Jody.

[flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Twainy

“Progress isn’t made by early risers. It’s made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something.” – Robert Heinlein

Profile photo of Dave Fernandes

I listened to the entire book straight through while I was in bed sick with a fever. I remember really enjoying it, but find it hard to remember any specifics.

——————– Villa Nandes Photo Blog

Profile photo of athanas

Holy shit.
    Holy shit….

They called it a true crime, but it was more like a really boring history lesson where everyone has a name, a nickname, and an alias. The actual parts with the true crime were pretty good though.

Now working through Hot Blooded by Lisa Jackson….and I really like her work so I dunno how it could be bad.

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

This Is Herman Cain!: My Journey to the White House,

by Herman Cain, the soon-to-be 45th president of the United States….

Photobucket

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of J.P.

1. “Game of Thrones” by GRR Martin. I saw the first season on HBO and loved it so much I had to go back and read the book. Outstanding!

2. “Daemon” by Daniel Suarez. Very cool technothriller. I’d recommend it also.

I also recently finished “Ender’s Game” by Orson Scott Card. It was awesome; I hope they don’t dork up the movie version. (I’ll start Speaker for the Dead soon.)

Profile photo of Peter Germany

but i still find the saint as some of his best work

ive been looking for double eagle but its out of print i loved the lighter than air ships stuff in those storys though

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

I’ve read it before, but I started working through it again off my Kindle app when I’m in waiting rooms for various appointments.

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, Two-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

An oldie but a goodie. One of those few books I will read more than once.

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, Two-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Have 3 hours left to go! I’ll let you know what I think when I get to the end.

Brisingr (book four of the Inheritance series is coming out near the end of this year)

By: Christopher Paolini

The Amulet of Samarkand: Book One of the Bartimaeus Trilogy

By: Jonathan Stroud

Songs of the Dancing Gods: Book Four of the Dancing Gods Series

By: Jack L. Chalker

Under the Dome

By: Stephen King

Gunslinger: Book One of The Dark Tower

By: Stephen King

Contagious

By: Scott Sigler

The Two Travellers: Book Two of the Max Quick Series

By: Mark Jeffery

Gone Tomorrow

By: Lee Child

Against All Things Ending: Book Three in “The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”

By: Stephen R. Donaldson

The Gap into Vision: Forbidden Knowledge: Book Two of the Gap Series)

By: Stephen R. Donaldson

…also I am reading more books its just im at work right now and i cant remember all of them at this moment

So i have these books: Ancestor (2007 Editions)(2) EarthCore (2005) Infected Contagious Ancestor (2010) The Rookie The Starter The All-Pro Blood is Red

Profile photo of Nemesis0

i just skimmed the science parts.

I got it a month or so ago on a last trip to Borders. Not bad so far, but at least Crichton explained the science junk, this just seems to throw it at you and if you don’t understand then to hell with you. It’s made me yawn a few times so far.

Profile photo of Twainy

I found these podcasts that I cannot find in book form anywhere!!! Which means I may have enough Scott Sigler to keep me busy until April 2012 … (and I was actually seriously worried) … *off to buy my lotto ticket* …

I think it’s supposed to go at least 5 books. I believe that’s what was planned by the other. Maybe if the last books do real well he’ll continue on (unless the last book has something big happen that makes it not possible for any more books).

I feel like ‘Robopocalypse’ could have been a tighter portmanteau

Profile photo of Twainy

I have a growing list of books I wanna read … LOL … I was wondering if there would be another book … someone had told me that it was a trilogy and I was like NO WAY! Joe Ledger is a cash cow! Oh the reader definitely brings those books to life .. another book that I liked better in the audio format (prolly due to a good reader, Wil Wheaton .. I know; surprise, surprise) was … Agent to the Stars … laugh out loud funny at times.

Profile photo of Twainy

I have a bunch of these .. I know, nerd alert … One of my favorites is Last Voyage. Supprisingly I like Catherine Tate’s readings also … Martha’s, not so much. Did you like Robopocalypse? I have heard mixed reviews some really liked it and others said it was OK.

I did pause in the middle to listen to some Doctor Who stories. Although, let’s be honest – I could listen to David Tennant read the phone book.

I got print versions of the books so i miss out on that reader. Yea i enjoyed reading them all especially on how he takes stuff like zombies and mutants and makes them somewhat realistic. The next book ASSASSIN’S CODE comes out April 10 (the week after a certain book titled NOCTURNAL hits stores).

Profile photo of Twainy

The reader is great! I love the sarcasm, humor, contemorary references … they aren’t as scary as I’d like them to be but I think they are good stories! At least I find them very entertaining and an easy “read” … :o)

Profile photo of Twainy

That was great!!! I want videos of all the short stories now … LOL … thank you!!!

Now that you’ve read it, watch the web-mini-movie on StrangerThings.tv. Wink

I have read this series a few times and I just finished book one again. I think the story is great in its subtle morality plays and the coming of age of the main character. It’s an easy quick read and the trilogy can be read in a few days time. I would recommend it.

It’s all fun and games until the nukes start falling and the zombies start calling…

Started A Game of Thrones this morning. I was hooked in minutes.

I’m reading THE ALL-PRO and an ebook titled SEED by Ania Ahlborn

That’s the book by Jonathan Maberry correct? If so you read/hear the first two in the series?

Profile photo of Twainy

OMG a prayer-o-meter … LOVE it! That was great! I woulda liked to hear more about what was eating the … prayer exhaust. Number One … I liked it but I need to go back and reread the part describing Patterson … it was creeping me out so I tried not to think about it … but now I wanna know what the scary thing looked like LOL and no I dont mean the 265 pound football player ;o) … I liked them both a lot! I don’t think there are that many more stories left in this book … they are perfect for studying breaks … are there more short stories somewhere?

Profile photo of Twainy

I am loving this audio book. Great reader. As for content, plenty of great nerdling contemporaryness. Love the characters, sarcasm & humor. It’s a bit predictable and the foreshadowing is not very subtle but it really is an enjoyable read so far … 30% left. Back to housework BLAH then homework. Happy Sunday!

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of GJ

Karen Rose Just while I’m waiting for the All Pro!

Profile photo of Twainy

I like the Dresden books! I am still on Side Jobs … I tried his fairy book but I am having trouble getting into it … can’t wait to see what this new direction is :o)

Now that I’m done with The All-Pro I thought I would start on this one. I’ve heard from, oh…Everyone, that this book is excellent! I’m not that far in and I am definitely loving it already!

I’ve set everything else aside to focus solely on TAP. Sadly, I had such a busy weekend, I barely had any time to read it! But I plan on remedying that this week! Wink

After 6 years of waiting it is finally out.
    Combat Cook

Ghost Story, by Jim Butcher. Loving the new direction so far (on page 110)… quite a bit grittier with the same level of irreverence.

[flickr-photo:id=4872769926,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4872123139,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4933249630,size=m]

scottepond.com

Thriller novel with a lot of historical fiction stuff in it. I like it so far.

titled PANDEMONIUM

synopsis:

In the aftermath of one of the most significant and deadly discoveries in natural history, biologists Nell and Geoffrey Binswanger find themselves confronted with a new adventure even more astonishing.

As the world decides the fate of the only living species rescued from a geologically unstable island in the South Pacific, the newlywed scientists are invited by a shadowy figure, Russian oligarch Maxim Dragolovich, to study a new ecosystem in a secret facility deep beneath the Ural Mountains. What occurs in the depths of the Earth will confirm their worst nightmares as they battle to stay alive, the stakes no less than the survival of every species on the planet.

Profile photo of Twainy

Bella was right again. Great story! I don’t wanna give it away to the one person who hasn’t read it yet (if that person even exists) but come on it was great … and Shammie? I couldn’t help thinking SHAM WOW and now u won’t be able to either :o) I really like the author notes after the stories!! Done procrastinating … I gotta go study … I look forward to the next short story break! I know … I may have TAP envy ….

Profile photo of Twainy

So … I liked it from the Wolf POV!! I woulda liked a teeny more description of the blue aliens … do wolves see in color? Was that in there to make me think? Ok that was a random question … I can google it … but yeah! Great story! Black Nose, Half Lip … loved the names! On to The Great Snipe Hunt! So far Blood is Red is highly recommended … though I may be the last person here to have read these …

Profile photo of Twainy

Yeahp a little more homework procrastination. Bella was correct. It’s a great story. I couldn’t get into the author’s head right away, I couldn’t see what he was seeing … and then BAM there it was and I was like … awesome! Someone did his homework, nope I am not surprised … bringing the SCIENCE to science fiction … speaking of which I am gonna go download the next episode from my Doctor Who season pass OH YEAH!! take THAT anatomy! … *skips off to continue procrastinating … maybe another SS SS* …

that there is going to be a sequel? I think he said it’ll be out next year.

I agree – very enjoyable! I passed it along to be my dad (I know where I get my reading preferences from! ;-p)

Read it a while ago and finally got a copy in hardcover of my very own so i’m re-reading it. A good michael crichtonish type book with an island containing many vicious/violent creatures and a bit of science talk.

Profile photo of Twainy

I finished it today … just as it turned dark and started pouring … yikes!! Creepy!! Keeping an eye out for purple lightening. Great story! Plus it was a great first first person story! I look forward to the next one. Oddly enough … since there was no cover art I had a difficult time getting the author out of my head as Kevin … accidents will happen!! I started Red … hope to finish it during the next homework break … … … how is The All Pro? Anyone finish it?

Profile photo of Twainy

Love it!

Profile photo of Twainy

Anatomy …. cuz I have to … epidermis … dermis … skin … ugh … the things found on/in skin … I don’t think I will be able to unsee them … ever … I think my brain might have stretch marks … it’s well on it’s way to popping … ala Scanners XVI … g’nite :o)

……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000…..NOCTURNAL (Rewrite) Byron Metz (as “Baldwin Metz,” medical examiner for San Francisco police)

Next by Michael Crichton. I gotta do something to pass the time.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

R.A. Salvatore – “The Pirate King”. You can really tell that Salvatore was a bouncer and has had a few scuffles in his time. His decsription of combat is fantastic, not to mention he has created characters that you really care about.

It’s all fun and games until the nukes start falling and the zombies start calling…

Profile photo of Avinjer

Ve veri veniversum vivus vici (idea’s cannot be killed)

Profile photo of Gmork

I hadn’t seen that fan art before. I added it to the wiki page for the short story Snipe Hunt. Laughing

It’s a shame though that as the series goes on Abnett seems to forget about the skills that make the Tanith into the awesome scouts that they are. Still great books though. You should check out Double Eagle if you haven’t already. It’s a damn good one.
    I love the 40K novels, stories about large guys with guns killing other large guys with guns. What’s not to love? Still I wish they’d hire a decent proof-reader (generally I find the spelling and grammar god awful) and that the Space Marines would lose a lot more than they do.

Looks like you’re making friends everywhere you go! Innocent

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Profile photo of Meg Marshall

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~ That Australian bitch with the stupid accent and all the subtlety of a splatterfart

Profile photo of athanas

Cause that’s some good shit right there.

Profile photo of athanas

FUCKIN’! GRATTA…FLARGA…..AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARUGH!

you suck!

around the site (they bury their spam in the damnedest places!), I found a very old post about The Great Snipe Hunt. Apparently, someone else out there liked the story enough to create a (possible) book cover for the story. It’s frakkin’ awesome!!!! Everyone should check it out!!!

The Neighbors are Watching by Debra Ginsberg. Pretty good for a book I got in a giveaway lol. Also trying to finish American Assassin by Vince Flynn before all-pro gets here so I can start that right away. Do not mess with the affairs of monsters, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

its a big boy at a whoping 1000 plus pages, but its some of his best work yet.

if you like gore novels read warhammer 40k alot of it is really good stuff

WARHAMMER!!!! 40000!!!!!

Profile photo of Twainy

Dean Vaughn Medical Terminolgy 350 is a great system … I scored 100% on those 350 terms … but you can’t get the audio/video for that series anywhere … I think they only sell it to companies … they have a book out for the general public that is on my list … How to Remember Anything … IDK … still on the fence … not sure it they are using the same premise … it’s one thing to have someone else show you images & come up with wacky phrases to remember words … it’s another to have to come up with them on my own, in my head … LOL … it’s interesting that the Moonwalk guy suggests there is no such thing as a photographic memory.

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

I have a pile of stuff to read, but this one sounded intriguging. I am very interested in all things related to memory studies. Thanks for reminding me about this one. (Another interesting book along these lines is Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis about his training to be a world class SCrabble player, highly recommend.)
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Twainy

Added to my Kindle stickie! Awesome!! I appreciate your opinions!! Thanx!!!

Profile photo of Twainy

Added to my Kindle stickie! Awesome!! I appreciate your opinions!! Thanx!!!

Profile photo of Twainy

They are next … THANX!!!

Profile photo of Twainy

Interesting with a bit of humor. Non-fiction. About a journalist who writes a fluff piece on a Memory contest only to spend the next year of his life training to win the next US Memory Championship himself.

So far Iowa Typhoon is her fave too!

Profile photo of GJ

Red Man, The Great Snipe Hunt and Sacred Cow – probably in that order. Wink

Almost a year ago, I lost this book on a commuter train (one chapter left to read) and found another copy of it this week in the train station. The bookmark was almost in the exact spot I left off!

Profile photo of Twainy

It’s the first book I bought for my Kindle! It will be the next book I read that isn’t school or work related … The Rookie is even on hold :o( … Opinions? Read it in order ? Or are there favorite stories?

It’s a pretty awesome series though hard to follow at times and with occasionally pointless books. Still very good though. I’d been reading them since they first came out and by the time it got to Nemesis it had been so long I couldn’t remember who the characters were so went back to start again.

Not sure if you know about these or not but there are a few audiodramas (currently 4 available with more on the way) with the series. They’re short (70mins each on single CD’s) but worth hearing as they add a good chunk of story to the timeline.

Book 14 in the Horus Heresy series

Profile photo of David Claypool

8.4 by peter hernon. Great read and I feel its scientifically accurate.
    Life is a lemon and I want my money back — meatloaf

Profile photo of GJ

We try and give it a Sigler twist each time, so go for it :)

I should have been more specific on the details, I do that some time. I have noticed there’s a few areas specifically for sports to be discussed amongst the junkies (mainly Football) but I haven’t noticed any Baseball or Hockey threads available

……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000…..NOCTURNAL (Rewrite) Byron Metz (as “Baldwin Metz,” medical examiner for San Francisco police)

Profile photo of Gmork

…we’re so good at staying on topic in these threads (i.e. slip and slide through to the S&N thread) …lol

talking sports.

Sorry, when I posted that comment I had in mind that it was part of the “what are you reading now” category. I was reading a sports article and I figured I was able to post that particular comment in this forum

looking for reading suggestions and I come across this post…. DSE, what exactly does this have to do with reading??? Undecided

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of Florian Hilbers

horus heresy novels. epic stuff

Heart Shaped Box first and really liked it. I’m enjoying Horns so far.

by Mark Yoshimoto Nemcoff. I listened to the podcast a while back. Now I’m enjoying it all over again, only in print form this time!

I liked Heart Shaped Box way way better. So if you haven’t read that one yet, definitely look into it, it showcases Joe Hill a lot better than Horns does.

Got it on ebook and started this weekend. So far its pretty good, though I hope they start doing more explaining and less jumping around soon.

Horns by Joe Hill.

Profile photo of Twainy

I’d only recommend it if you are an insomniac and in need of some sleep … or … if you’re a nerdling. It’s a big long boring book … patterns, frameworks … technobabble … yes … that is what I did on my first day off … YAY for 4 day weekends?!! OK … break over … back to Zend. Hello? Helllloooo? SEE … you’re asleep already … I hope you have a wonderful weekend!! Each and every one of you! ttfn

Profile photo of Twainy

:o)

I enjoyed it very much.

I haven’t read a King novel (outside the Dark Tower series) in years, but I’m about 150 pages into this and loving it.

Paperback should be available at massive discouts at most big bookstores by now too. Mine was $7.

Profile photo of GJ

I have the PB version too :) You could always order it at your library?

Profile photo of Twainy

OK Brimstone is treeware and then I jumped ahead in the Agent Pendergast series to FD (audio book) cuz the sumary sort of described it as back story. I’m about halfway thru FD and have only run across a couple inconsequential spoilers. Both are decent additions to the series. I may purchase a kindle … does anyone have one with the advertisements?

The fading Pittsburgh Pirates finished up the worst home series in their 125-year history (they make history once again) to lose their 10th straight game overall. “NOBODY’S HOLDING A PITY PARTY FOR US. I’M SURE THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE WHO ARE HAVING FUN WITH THE FACT THAT WE’RE LOSING.” -LHP Paul Maholm, on the slumping Pirates. Aggressive and being jumpy are two different things,” manager Clint Hurdle said. “The top hand became dominant again, which is something we’d seen earlier this season. Most of the balls he hit were rolled over. It’s not flushing that ball up, palm-up and palm-down, at the point of impact.” Bottom line: Alvarez is a mess, and the Pirates need to at least consider sending him back to the minors for a couple weeks, then recall him for September

…………The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000…..NOCTURNAL (Rewrite) Byron Metz (as “Baldwin Metz,” medical examiner for San Francisco police)

That sounds good, I will have to see if its just for Kindle or if there’s a Nook version too. Otherwise paperback it is.

Profile photo of athanas

having to get the signature of all of your neighbors in a 6 block radius every time you move, on the other hand, is no fun.

I mean…uh…so I’ve heard.

Profile photo of GJ

O M G!! Very very very gory. I loved it!!! http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11774911-halfhead

Sounds like a great time to me. When should we plan for? Tongue out

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of CPK IrishmanFromOhio

by H.P. Friedrichs and Welcome to the Monkey House by Kurt Vonnegut.

The Irishman from Ohio

Profile photo of athanas

one or both of those things hasn’t happened yet?? Tongue out

Profile photo of athanas

but I have to ask: why the hell are you taking direction from me? That’s the surest way to end up in jail or on a list you’ll have to tell your neighbors about for the rest of your life.

(serioiusly, though, you’ll like the book). :-p

Profile photo of Twainy

OK giving it another try this week. Its background noise when I work … I finally got used to the reader’s voice!!! I know this because I started listening to the story. So I am going back and re-listening. I am about a quarter of the way thru and I love it! So this is a TV show? Which came first the show or the books? I don’t have TV so I’ve never heard of it. I’m still reading Ancestor (LOVE IT), The Rookie (I am really getting sucked in), and Matterhorn (ok the leaches weren’t the creakiest part if this vietnam war novel) …. So four great books plus a Zombie anthology. OMG this book had a thing for bastards hee … I do like this book!!! Make it your strength then it can never be your weakness …

Profile photo of BigJohn

The series is great for introducing new people to the universe, but it doesn’t approach the depth of character development that the books give. I suppose that’s true of most adaptations.

I’m just about 200 pages in, and loving it. I can’t wait to can’t wait again, if that makes any sense. I re-read the series just before DwD came out, so it’s all nice and fresh in my mind. :)

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

Profile photo of Crashmore

I’m getting deep into a Dance with Draons now. I can’t believe it’s been years since the last book. Definately enjoying being back in this world. While the series has been good as far as adaptations go it’s not as awesome as the actual books.

Profile photo of Twainy

OK I finished Still Life with Crows … It super picked up the pace, easy read, drew me in. Just started Matterhorn … Leeches … FREAKING YUCK! First chapter … Good so far. Interesting. Happy work week!

Profile photo of Twainy

Still Life With Crows has picked up the pace. That first chapter … If I hadn’t read Relic … I might not have continued. The description of the turkey processing plant is pretty accurate and by far the most disgusting thing so far. If mother nature would be just a little more convenient I could maybe get 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep … thunderstorm AND tornado siren …. ZzZzZzZz …

I’ve already read it once when it first came out, but wanted to start it again. It’s a good one and I am eagerly anticipating the sequel.

So far, I absolutely love it. I’m a big fan of Brad Thor in general and Lions doesn’t disappoint. I am planning on reading the whole Scott Harvath series in order this year since I just got them all in paperback.

Shared it with a few other parents in the office too. We all know what he is talking about!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Twainy

Six minutes of hilarity read by Samuel L Jackson … And now Stll Life With Crows … Not as good as Relic or Reliquary or Cabinet of Curiosities … so far … Chapter 1 … ZzZzZz but maybe it’ll pick up. :o)

Athanas, tomorrow I’m going to start Vampire$. Looking forward to it!

Profile photo of Bonnie Hall

The third book in the series “Beyond the Shadows”

A Study in Scarlet, His Last Bow, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, the Return of Sherlock Holmes, The Sign of the Four and The Valley of Fear are all on a free app I picked up somewhere along the way. When I have the chance to actually peruse the written word, I’ve been working my way through the list!

Profile photo of Twainy

Good book. I like the way the stories were set up …. 123321 … and how they subtly connected. G’Nite!

Profile photo of Twainy

I like a good adult fairy tale. Good book.

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of GJ

Yawn…

Profile photo of Twainy

Cluck was borrowed (without asking GRRR) before I could finish it, I only read Ancestor on lunch 4 days a week so it’s slow going but I really like it and I look forward to the next episode of the Rookie on Sunday. I downloaded the Goodreads APP, I like the ratings and reviews.

that is on my “must read list” but i have a few other projects happening right now so I haven’t had time to pick up the sequel DEEPER……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of Twainy

Everytime I listen to a chapter of The Rookie I first listen to the authors 2 episodes of FB for retards … I like Quentin Barnes I HOPE HE ISN’T KILLED OFF … erm … too soon?

Profile photo of Jason Banks

Lock and Key by Joe hill and gabriel Rodriguez, Spectyr by Pip Ballantine, Phonix Rising by Pip ballantine and Tee Morris, Vicious Circle by Mike Carey, The Color of Rage by Kazuo Koike, Lady Snow Blood by Kazuo Koike, Fairy Tail by Hiro Mashima, Osamu Tezuka: the god of Manga by Helen McCarthy, and M.P.D Psycho by Tajima Otsuka

A Flying Spoon, and Faithful Servent of The FDO

I gave the set of books to my daughter in hopes that we could read them together, but that’s a no-go. As she has become more proficient at reading and, more importantly reading comprehension, it turns out she is not a fan of fantasy at all. Even the thrill of reading with me can’t get her into a fantasy novel and she definitely won’t read one independently!

Overall I thought the series was cute, but I had to forcibly remind myself many times it was supposed to be all in fun. I don’t like too many coincidences and things being too convenient. For the most part the story lines were good enough to ignore the annoyances, but sometimes… I always used them as fluff reading; something to take the mind off life for a bit but couldn’t really “get into” the series in any sense.

For much darker and intense works I highly recommend his Bio of a Space Tyant series if you haven’t already tried it. I found it a gripping series that shocked me, made me mourn or wail for the characters; overall kept me at the edge of my seat waiting to see what would happen next. This series is sci-fi and one Maeve actually would like, but there is absolutely no way she’ll be allowed to read it until she is significantly older!

Profile photo of Evan Curry

i want to get the 2nd one

~~There are many types of heros, I am one who just happens to eat brains~~

[flickr-photo:id=3725861718,size=m]

hey every one long time no see i have realy been neglecting my form posting but has any one els read the xanth books in on book 4

Profile photo of Twainy

And the main character … Hiro Protagonist … Reminded me of a couple sword wielding spam vanquishing junkies here … so here I am … checking in to say hi. IDK if I can suggest this book yet cuz I am only 11 chapters in. I like it so far tho!

Profile photo of Twainy

How is Lions of Lucerne? I have the first 3 books … Just haven’t started reading them. They got good reviews though so I’m interested in what you think. Thamx

Profile photo of Gmork

Jumping in the fray is the only way to go!

adrenaline by jeff abbott in print form and the rook by steven james in ebook form.

Profile photo of jerry groff

as a new memeber to the site i figured id jump right in….currently reading brian keenes gathering of crows……also love alot of simon r greens stuff. while im at work ive been going back through the GFL….cant get enough

Got a research book about Mormons for a freelance project….though I’ve decided they’d make a great book too. I’m reading The Lions of Lucerne by Brad Thor. And I’m just picking up Infected to read for the 4th or 5th time.

……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of Twainy

You are all very funny! I’m still working on Cluck Murder Most Fowl … Yeahp … zombie chickens … XML reference just got chucked out of my office with the phone … Redefining – VACATION DAY!!

Profile photo of Daniel Mitchner

Im currently reading Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy, Lord of the Silver Bow by David Gemell and The Green Mile by Stephen King and id have to say i recommend all 3 of them.

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

trust me

Profile photo of Twainy

I signed up.

Profile photo of BigJohn

There’s a big surprise in the schedule when one resource gets pregnant, and another takes an unexpected vacation!

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

and I do NOT recommend it.

Interesting read. Always liked a good Sci-Fi story. And this one is full of surprises. Turns out to be a 4 book series, so I will have plenty to read in the furture……

[flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m] Wolfpack Quarterback

“Goodreads is a free website for book lovers. Imagine it as a large library that you can wander through and see everyone’s bookshelves, their reviews, and their ratings. You can also post your own reviews and catalog what you have read, are currently reading, and plan to read in the future. Don’t stop there – join a discussion group, start a book club, contact an author, and even post your own writing.”

If you are interested in reading Game of Thrones but want to know a little more about it first, BigJohn is our resident GoT expert… well, he’s my personal RobotBoy-GoT-Wiki at least! ;-) I’m sure he’d be happy to answer some questions for you, without giving away any spoilers, of course!

Profile photo of Twainy

What is goodreads? … I have a soft spot for zombies. I don’t think the next Ledger novel is zombies either but I’m gonna read it. The guy who wrote Eden & Crusade started a new series … First book is vampires I think … I have it somewhere – Fury. Prolly another easy read. Dying To Live had a good hook. I have Life Sentence but haven’t started it. Feed was good enough for me to add the sequel to the wish list. Starting … Cluck Murder Most Fowl & used a gift card to order Robocopalypse (sp?) … someone should talk kindly about Game of Thrones … IDK what it is reallly about and wanna get beyond the reader … back to work.

Profile photo of Richard Read

I could listen to Nathan Lowell for a life time and not get bored. I love the pace of these books – it’s like an audio vacation. I want to crew on the Lois Laughing

“Go Detroit on it!”

Profile photo of Twainy

I read an unfavorable review and sidelined it. I’ll add it back. I finished The Dragon Factory, at first I was disappointed that the Joe Ledger books weren’t all zombie books but I liked it as much as Patient Zero. Reading Feed now, sadly this one got sidelined due to a negative review too but it’s an easy read, pretty good. OK I have the audiobook A Game of Thrones due to good reviews and I can’t get into it, upon first read/listen I don’t like the reader. I will give it another try but it’s like 40 hours.

Profile photo of nilling

Loved this series…

aka nilling

Profile photo of nilling

Need to add this to my Goodreads wishlist Laughing

aka nilling

Profile photo of Avinjer

Profile photo of J.P.

on my Amazon wish list!

Profile photo of J.P.

If my sinister plan works out, I’ll finish this book this weekend. Then I’ll start Game of Thrones. Muuuaaaahahahahahahahaaaa

Genesis written by Bernard Beckett……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Are we doing this here too?!

I agree with Kail, it’s really good!

I’ll have to listen to it next!

Profile photo of athanas

I like the continuation aspect of the later seasons.

Still, I have a hard time trusting HBO after the whole Deadwood fiasco.

Profile photo of Twainy

I relistened to The Fall in Early June, it was too bad they couldn’t get Ron Perlman to read the second book but the reader was still good. I am in the middle of The Dragon Factory, Scott’s two books, HG Wells, The Fall of Lucifer (which I cannot get really into) and Side Jobs by Jim Butcher. I work 4 ten hour days from home. I can squeeze in 3-4 hours of reading a day on those days if the book is good … plus I don’t have TV :o) OK gotta work in 5 hours so … G’nite!

I to also have read the first two books of the Strain trilogy: The Strain, and The Fall. The release of the third book The Eternal Night as of right now is set for October 25, 2011. I’m amazed at how many books and audiobooks you can juggle at once. If I did that I would end up confused with the story lines……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of Twainy

Day by Day Armageddon – JL Bourne … Audio was remarkably good, this book surprisd me because i only liked World War Z. Hater – David Moody … I liked it and have Dog Blood on deck. Frankenstein Lost Souls – Dean Koontz … meh I liked the first 3 books in this series, the ones he penned himself, not so much, it was ok and I have the next one, I’ll prolly read it. The Name of the Wind – Patrick Rothfuss, not my genre per se but I loved the audio book, I wish I had time to re-listen, but I have The Wise Man’s Fear on deck. Patient Zero – Jonathan Maberry … I liked it, I am reading The Dragon Factory. Also reading The Island of Doctor Moreau – HGW. The Strain & The Fall – Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan … I almost look forward to book three as much as I look forward to Pandemic. Of course I am listening to The Rookie and alternating between listening and reading Ancestor. Along with boring techno babble and a huge stack of other books to be read!! Happy LONG weekend!!

A Song of Ice and Fire: A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin and listening to Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson.

Profile photo of Gmork

I had read a couple of articles, but Neil Gaiman confirmed it tonight…American Gods is getting treatment for a series on HBO, with the first season covering the books and then subsequent seasons being new material in the same world. If they come close to the production values of ‘Game of Thrones’ this will be outstanding!

…..Infected in paperback so I went out today and purchased the 1st edition hardcover of Infected to have both paperback and hardcover. I also purchased the pb of Ancestor to go along with my hc of Ancestor. I just can’t seem to find the hardcover for Contagious……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of sadock

…..author is using another pen name, but whatever. I care about the content much more than the creator.

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of athanas

not often my eyebrows AND nethers both raise at the same time.
    Gonna have to give this one a look-see.

Profile photo of athanas

Really loved that book.

If they did a movie version, I’d love to see The Rock as Shadow and Brian Cox as Wednesday.

Profile photo of sadock

Sword of Truth <—> Wheel of Time

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of Andrew Morton

I keep hearing about the sword of truth series. any good? worth picking up?

Molly McButters is my Homeboy!

Enjoying it so far – it’s hard not to compare it to I Robot & the Terminator movies.

I really enjoyed the build up to “Zero Hour” some part were pure awesome!

“Go Detroit on it!”

Profile photo of Gmork

by Neil Gaiman. He’s doing a book tour for the book’s milestone anniversary and I’m going to go see him speak about the book. So excited!!!!!

This is book 13 in the Horus Heresy series (16 if you count the audiobooks), and finally a book I haven’t read in the series. I went back to the beginning as there are numerous authors writing the series, there is no obvious timeline and they’ve been at it for years. As an idea of the timeline if you burned each of the FDO’s podcast’s onto a seperate disc, didn’t label them, threw them up in the air, scooped them all up and started listening to them from the top of the stack, that’s what its like. It was about 14 pages into this book that I decided to go back. Characters that hadn’t appeared since Book 3 had suddenly turned up again and I had no idea who they were. This time around I’ve created a massive timeline summarising each book.

Profile photo of sadock

Publishers Weekly Review: Urban fantasist Seanan McGuire (Rosemary and Rue) picks up a new pen name for this gripping, thrilling, and brutal depiction of a postapocalyptic 2039. Twin bloggers Georgia and Shaun Mason and their colleague Buffy are thrilled when Sen. Peter Ryman, the first presidential candidate to come of age since social media saved the world from a virus that reanimates the dead, invites them to cover his campaign. Then an event is attacked by zombies, and Ryman’s daughter is killed. As the bloggers wield the newfound power of new media, they tangle with the CDC, a scheming vice presidential candidate, and mysterious conspirators who want more than the Oval Office. Shunning misogynistic horror tropes in favor of genuine drama and pure creepiness, McGuire has crafted a masterpiece of suspense with engaging, appealing characters who conduct a soul-shredding examination of what’s true and what’s reported.

Evo Terra’s blog post: Stop whatever it is that you are doing. Because whatever it is (likely reading this post on-site or through your reader), it pales in comparison with the directive I am about to give you. Purchase Feed by Mira Grant. You can get it for your Kindle. Or if you prefer the dead tree version, buy that. Want it on Nook? Fine. Want it on some other format. Fine. Break the crappy DRM with any number of easy tools and re-format it with Calibre to your heart’s desire. I do not give a shit. All I do give a shit about is that you immediately — that means nowpurchase Feed by Mira Grant. No, this isn’t some shameless ploy to rush the charts. The book has been out for over a year. This is me telling you that it is one of the finest books I’ve read this year. And I don’t shill. You know that. What, you say you don’t like zombie books? This isn’t a zombie book. Sure, there are zombies in the book. But the book isn’t about zombies. It’s about fear. Fear of the government. Fear of our neighbors. Fear of the media. Fear of something we’ve never known. Or have all too quickly forgotten. It’s about strength. The strength of one’s own convictions. Strength that comes from staring adversity in the face and telling to fuck all the way off. Strength of friendships forged by something other than Facebook. It’s about betrayal. Using other people. Petty self-interests. Conspiracy. Loss. And more things that will make you uncomfortable. It’s a book I think all of you reading this right now will love — deeply love. If not, I’ll buy you a beer next time we meet. Why are you still here? You have a book to purchase. Now.

Profile photo of Gmork

You’ll have to let me know what you think of it when you’re done :)

Profile photo of sadock

…. and then read all fourteen straight through. It’s a decent series, but I think Jordan drug it out far more than he needed to. As did Goodkind w/Sword of Truth. I can see the allure if you’re making $$$ and don’t have a new idea, but I felt both authors “thinned out their soup” if you know what I mean.

Sword of Truth is one of my favorite series, but the last half of it is kind of pointless. I loved the first six books. I could easily live w/o the last five. And book seven is just painful to get through. I usually skip it when I re-read that series.

Horns is on my ‘To read’ list. Laughing

Profile photo of Gmork

But google is a wonderful thing Wink

I downloaded a morse code key and read out the dots and dashes while the hubbie translated it from the key. It was like a little puzzle and it was a bit creepy as it translated to something like a mantra. And I mean creepy and muthafuckin’ AWESOME creepy!

morse code?! Surprised

Profile photo of Gmork

I purchased “Horns” for a charity effort he was running and he signed it and personalized it with a message in morse code. He’s too cool!

Haven’t started it yet though. I’ve heard nothing but good things – you’ll have to let me know what you think!

on book four and can’t stop…

Profile photo of Jason Banks

Phillippa Ballentine and tee morris Pheonix Rising, Phillippa Ballentine’s Geist, Joe Hills’ Horns, and Lock and Key graphic novel, and the FDO’s Original Dragon Moon releases of Ancestor and EarthCore

A Flying Spoon, and Faithful Servent of The FDO

Profile photo of sadock

Yeah, yeah, I know. So shoot me. She’s still one of my favorite authors. So NEENER!!!

“Go Detroit on it!”

I also been reading books done by A. Lee. Martinez. I have read several of titles such as MONSTER, DIVINE MISFORTUNE and now his latest CHASING THE MOON. If you would like to read about earth threatening events with a twist then it might be worth a shot……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

On June 7, 2011 the paperback edition of ancestor written by theFD∅ will hit stores near you or so I hope they do? Wait a gosh darn minute that’s tomorrow …..(mad dash towards the door then into the car)……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of Twainy

Wink

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of sadock

I’ve heard nothing but good things about it, so I’m pretty excited about it.

but you’re my blog’s #1 pimp as well! Kiss

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of sadock

Still working my way through THE DREAMERS THREAD (Starla Hutchton) and DEATH’S EXCELLENT VACATION (Anthology), but I’ve also added IRON KISSED (Patricia Briggs), and I’m critiquing A BLANK PAGE (Kathleen Cheevers). I never expected to begin reading multiple books simultaneously when I purchased my iPad, but it’s so much more convenient to read whatever you’re in the mood for when everything but one is on your eReader. I rarely read multiple treeware books simultaneously, and never four at once.

Profile photo of Twainy
    Profile photo of J.P.

I’ve been reading Goblin Market by Jennifer Hudock, an awesome novela by our own Phantom, and Scanner Darkly by Richard K. Dick.

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of sadock

The story certainly has me intrigued; Starla did an excellent job casting too. Laura Spencer, Tee Morris, and Paulette Jaxton truly shone. I’m looking forward to seeing how the finished novel turns out.

Profile photo of sadock

It’s an interesting anthology thus far. Everything from paranormal romance to immortal superheroes finding a reason to live again.

Just finished up the name of the wind and rolled into the wise man’s fear. I’m enjoying this series a great deal. I’m flipping back and forth between this and reading the starter. Taking my time and trying to enjoy them as when I’m finished I’ll be waiting on the next book in eash series.

Combat Cook

Profile photo of Pons Matal

I got from Starla was for Sat. @ 4pm

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]
    KISS’d by Sigler. Honored recipient of the 2009 “Iron Man” Award.
    Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Thrice Over!

Profile photo of sadock

Last time I spoke to her, she was kind of planning to play it by ear after she got there. It was kind of nightmarish trying to figure out who was on which panels, and then there were others who’d love to participate but weren’t guests this year.

I look forward to her other works. I wanted to make it to her full cast reading at Balticon but cant. :(

Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Thrice Over!

Profile photo of sadock

It’s been good so far. I’m about 1/4-1/3 of the way into it. I’m looking forward to catching up with her at Balticon and giving her some feedback.

Profile photo of Avinjer

addicted to the Skeeve story! Combat Cook

Book 12 in the Horus Heresy Series

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of Wolf

Stuff goes everywhere. And it’s hell to get out of carpets.

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]
    Head Coach, Wabash Wolfpack

Husband of Susan, Friend of Junkies everywhere

Profile photo of sadock

She’s rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. Not deep or anything, but great for light entertainment.

BLOOD IS RED – of course!! Creature by John Saul and The Passage by Justin Cronin.

I’m a multi-tasker! Wink

Profile photo of sadock

…..4-6 paberbacks for every audiobook that I make it through. That’s one of the downsides of working from home. I hardly ever drive anywhere.

Profile photo of Avinjer

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of athanas

“A Truly Biased History of the Seattle Seahawks”

Great read so far, but then again, I’m the target audience.

Profile photo of athanas

Haven’t got a hold of his latest couple of books, but I have most of what he’s written.
    Only book I didn’t really care for was Haunted. I loved the individual stories of the characters, but the overall story of them all together in the house just didn’t do it for me.
    Might have to give it a re-read one of these days.

Profile photo of Steve Bickel (Voodoo)

Reading Physics of ther Impossible by Michio Kaku (who’s last name sounds like it should be dirty, but isn’t).. I think Sig recomended it (or it may have been Justin) on TWIS’ audible recomendation.

V

Profile photo of Twainy

There is a thread of “messages” in Perry/infected fan fiction that was good. actually reading some boring XML technobabble …not recommended … unless you’re feeling nappish. Yawn …

I’m currently finishing up the Fountain Head. Once i’m finsihed I think I’m actually going to read the Starter on my kindle. ( I couldn’t bring myself to handle my hard copy for fear the kids would get it and tear it up). I’ve bought all the books to support our fdo but I’ve never actually read any of the hard copies in my collection; I’ve also just done the podcasts.

I also need to catch up and read the last Koontz book. Looking forward to Blood is Red too. I really like reading short story collections via ebook makes for nice quick reads as I can find the time.

Profile photo of Conor Blackwood

I’m working my way through all of his books. Highly recommend Rant and Diary if you like getting mind-fucked.

Gingers are the smallest minority on the planet…so quit complaining everybody else.

Profile photo of Steven Taylor

There are so many books that i want to read but i just dont have enough time to read them. Its even harder if you cant find the audio version of the book though. Thats why i love the FDO’s work.

Profile photo of Twainy

thank you! I was actually listening to the Rimmer character read it, he does a pretty good job. I’ve read the first 2 books before and I have Colony!! It’s in my To Be Read pile! I’m glad you liked it, maybe I’ll move it up in the stack! I wish I had more time to read! I find that more and more lately I am replacing those To Be Read books with their audio versions. Happy Sunday!

Ive just started reading cross country murder song by philp wilding. Very dark and inspired by noir films it is a must read.

All 4 of the Red Dwarf books are amazin and if u like them colony by Rob Grant is also worth a read.

Profile photo of Twainy

Halfway thru Daywatch (sequel to Nightwatch) … it’s pretty good. I lent out my HB versions of Infected and Contagious … I haven’t seen them since. I should never ever have said – if you like it, share the love. I’ll prolly never see them again … and I’d like to re-read them before Pandemic comes out. I love zombie books … I have a bunch on deck. This year I read the following that I would recommend … Eden, Crusade, Dying to Live, Hater, Day By Day Armageddo. Non-zombie …. City of Theives (Ron Perlman has a FANTASTIC voice), The Strain, The Fall, A Game of Throwns, The Name of the Wind, Red Dwarf Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. Next – Ancestor and Zombie, Ohio Happy Friday! x

[flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m] Wolfpack Quarterback

Profile photo of Wolf

You can find me there as uhm…… Wolf!

Husband of Susan, Friend of Junkies everywhere

I’m on goodreads as RandyNBL. I’m pretty much the same anywhere you go.

Profile photo of Avinjer

on Goodreads. Surprise, surprise!! Tongue out

Profile photo of Avinjer

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of nilling

Time to get on Goodreads and start pimping Blood is Red

aka nilling

Book 10 in the Horus Heresy series

My third read through of The Rookie.

Profile photo of Shawn Laing

Climate of Corruption: Politics And Power Behind The Global Warming Hoax by Larry Bell

It’s a heart-warming tale that I started to read last week in celebration of Earth Day.

Soon to be starring in NOCTURNAL by Scott Sigler. The autograph line starts to the right.

Profile photo of Gmork

Drizzt Do’Urden has to be my all time favorite fantasy character. I hope they make those books into movies one day.

Anytime you read about a tongue being torn out of a mouth to start a book you know it’s gotta be good. Combat Cook

Slow Train to Arcturus by Eric Flint and Dave Freer. Good concept but it’s started off slow.

Awesome sci fi! Combat Cook

Profile photo of Shawn Laing

It’s a military thriller about an American military unit who operate outside of the chain of command to take care of America’s enemies, written by an intelligence consultant for the US government.

Soon to be starring in NOCTURNAL by Scott Sigler. The autograph line starts to the right.

I love to read Michael Stackpole. Combat Cook

Profile photo of athanas

Finished Haunt of Fear up, now I’m cruising through Vault of Terror.
    Really have to save up some funds to get the collected Tales from the Crypt, but some jamoke had to go and put out a badass black football jersey for a team that doesn’t even exist!

Profile photo of Keith Sims

when I am waiting for the next Sigler podcast I usually have one of my books from audible on my phone playing through the speakers of the truck many and varied from classics/frontiers like Arther C Clark’s Childhoods end to Alex Debogorski’s king of the road to Charlaine Harris’s southern vampire series never know what I will be getting into

Profile photo of sadock

• I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Combat Cook

Profile photo of zackmann

I am buying many of the books a third time because younger son now reading and Myth Dixc World or Xanth book I can find

I started to love Guido in the INC books now that I know the increababley intellegent reason Guido talks like that,

Not the was in Guys and Doll in college and never stopped talking like that but the other reason

Profile photo of Brennan Bova

It’s a graphic novel about a guy sort of struggling with the idea of duality.

… over the next couple months, I will be reading/listening to the audiobooks for the entire Tom Clancy “Jack Ryan” (or “Ryanverse”) series, in chronological order, starting with “Without Remorse” and working all the way through “Dead or Alive”.

Profile photo of Gmork

I’ve not read any of Ian Fleming’s work. Like most people, I suppose, I’ve seen the movies but it would be interesting to read the actual text that inspired the movies. I picked up a copy of the rebooted James Bond books… haven’t gotten a chance to read it yet but I’m intrigued to see how different the writing style will be from the originals.

Profile photo of Lucy De'ath

I’m Reading Moonraker by Ian Fleming one of my favourate Bond books (007).

Then i’m going to read Ancestor for like the ninth hundred time. My favourate book of all time. I’m going out of my mind waiting for desendant.

Profile photo of Mary Garrett

A book about American Football in Italy by John Grisham. It’s a paper back I picked up used that fits in my purse that I can read while waiting for my Mom at Dr. appts. Main character is the anti-Quentin Barnes. Actually enjoyable in a fluffy sort of way.
What kills us, doesn’t make us stronger.

Profile photo of CPK IrishmanFromOhio

The Irishman from Ohio

Gotta love the Skeeve!

Profile photo of Tony Faulkner

The Last Kingdom

The Pale Horseman

The Lords of the North

Sword Song

“Who is Number One?”, “You, are Number Six!”, “I am not a number, I am a free man!”

Profile photo of Tony Faulkner

Uhtred of Bebbanburg loves a head strike as much as anyone….

“Who is Number One?”, “You, are Number Six!”, “I am not a number, I am a free man!”

Just remember to not care about any character too much. Most likely they are going to die! That and unlike the great Sigler Martin doesn’t believe in publishing books…six years now I have waited for book five!!!

Book 11 in the Horus Heresy Series

Profile photo of Gmork

Still working my way through the ‘Game of Thrones’ series and really digging it. Can’t wait for it to come on on HBO as well (Sean Bean is nails!!).

But when I need a break from that series I’ve been reading ‘The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack’. Has a few steampunk aspects to it, but I’m mostly digging that this author captures the writing style, culture, and vocabulary of the 1800’s (when this story is supposed to take place). Some of the concepts are quite farcical but they aren’t so distracting as to take away from a really well thought out world and well built characters. Can’t wait to see how this one ends!

It’s very, VERY rare that I don’t finish a book, but I think this might be one of those times. Picked it up at the airport, struggled through about a quarter of it on the plane, haven’t bothered getting back to it since. It’s a shame, because the murder scenerios were quite clever and he cranks the gore-level up to eleven…but the cardboard cut-out stereotypes are just too painful to read. The character construction is beyond lazy and the detective work is cliched and, in some parts, makes absolutely no sense. (The victim has a great body, well-manicured nails and used expensive moisturiser. Hmmm…she could be an actress or model, but they don’t earn very much money, so she must be a hooker. Let’s go find her pimp. WTF?)

The author is a criminal psychologist, which would explain why he has the ‘criminal mind’ bits down pat, but the rest is very poorly researched (if at all). Keeping in mind that I haven’t finished it, I’d give this book a generous two out of ten, solely on the gore-value.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

My beloved dog-eared 80s copy went missing a while back, so I bought a shiny new one and re-read it last year. This is one book that will never become ‘dated’ …if anything, it gets more relevant (and frightening) as the years go by.

Also downloaded and re-read Animal Farm. So very clever.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

Profile photo of sadock

And it’s not exactly a large town. We did gain 25% in the 2010 census though.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]
  • Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Finally got a copy of Contagious and Infected I can hold in my hands for Christmas. Just now got around to re-reading Infected and Contagious. It’s amazing how much I forgot!

“Clever girl.” ~Jurassic Park {GirlCo w/ dreads for Sigler}

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

But how can sadock possibly live in a place where it’s hard to find fellow geeks!? =o

“Clever girl.” ~Jurassic Park {GirlCo w/ dreads for Sigler}

Profile photo of sadock

…..the adventures of Pip & Flinx. Had to buy a few MYTH books to get caught up. Looks like they fell off pretty sharply in quality towards the end.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]
  • Profile photo of Bradley Henry

Combat Cook

Combat Cook

Profile photo of Avinjer

Profile photo of steve libby

Now that it is over… man wow. Can’t believe how it stayed with me. Can’t wait for the follow up.

Next stop: Atlas Shrugged – see you next year

Drop your socks and grab your… Copy of Ancestor! Owner of the Isis Ice Storm [flickr-photo:id=4779220092,size=m] Puller of strings

Profile photo of Alex Miller

All I know is that it is a full series

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes

Profile photo of Mary Garrett

What kills us, doesn’t make us stronger.

Profile photo of Alex Miller

I was suprised when I found out it was an actual book!!! It’s a pretty good read to. I would recommend it.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes

Profile photo of Allyson Bower

The only fiction i find worth my time is scott sigler and michael crichton, so ive developed a taste for non-fiction. Right now I’m reading the book behind the movie Fast Food Nation. It’s a little too opinionated for me, but otherwise enlightening. but as far as non-fiction does my ABSOLUTE favorite is The Ominovores Dilemma by Michael Pollan. if you are interested in food in any way you should probably read it. Its written by an investigative journalist, not a nutritionist and it’s very objective and very interesting.

Happy Reading!

Book 9 in the Horus Heresy Series

Profile photo of sadock

AND I’m pretty psyched that I found a local book discussion club. It’s hard to find fellow geeks in this town Frown

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of steve libby

It is taking me forever to finish but I can’t not finish it. It is very weird but good but shitty but funny but not funny but sophmoric but genious and dumb. I think he might be an addict of some sort

Drop your socks and grab your… Copy of Ancestor! Owner of the Isis Ice Storm [flickr-photo:id=4779220092,size=m] Puller of strings

Profile photo of steveANARCHY

HM-THE ROOKIE

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m] Undead WARLORD

“SHIT adds up at the bottom!” ~ JMK

Book 8 in the Horus Heresy series

Profile photo of GJ

about thier life in the 1940s to 1950’s and dealing with the nessasry during the Blitz in London

Book 7 in the Horus Hersey series

Profile photo of Brian Savoie

Can’t pass up a Koontz novel.

the old classic. And there are 3 more stories left for me to read..[flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m] Wolfpack Quarterback

Profile photo of GJ

Again, not in great shape but it’ll cost too much to send it back.

[flickr-photo:id=5375229107,size=m]

Profile photo of sadock

I couldn’t believe how much it cost for me to ship some things back from Germany when I was on my European sojourn. And I’m still flummoxed by how Amazon Marketplace sellers in the UK make a profit off books they sell for $.01 and only get $3.99 shipping and handling for Undecided

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Ricky Craig

Book 6 in the Horus Heresy series

Profile photo of Jason Williamson

I really like this book. Lots of action, interesting story line, and great characters. Check it out if you got the time.
    [flickr-photo:id=5021674230,size=m]~Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum – Jay-Gu-Ana, owner of the Sala Intrigue~

Profile photo of Gmork

I’m still reading ‘A Game of Thrones’ however, this weekend I went to one of my favorite used bookstores and they were having a moving sale. Hardcovers for 50 cents and paperbacks for 25 cents. I went crazy! The most exciting part was that they had a whole collection of hardcover novels by John Le Carré. Awesome thriller writer whose titles I’ve had on my Amazon wish list forever. Got loads to read now Laughing

Profile photo of GJ

I shipped it from Atlanta. Ouch! Money mouth

Profile photo of sadock

I’d imagine shipping from the US would inflate the prices of many of those that become available over here.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of athanas

rereading it for the umpteenth time.

Profile photo of GJ

It’s in pretty bad shape, but at least I have one. I only paid £25 for it. I can keep searching for a mint one, but I had to buy it at that price!

[flickr-photo:id=5328397791,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of sadock

Congrats if you did! Those are a royal pain to find.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Jason Williamson

I just love the fact that he uses real streets and locations through out the books. If you live in the area and read them you can picture right where the story is taking place!
    [flickr-photo:id=5021674230,size=m]~Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum – Jay-Gu-Ana, owner of the Sala Intrigue~

Profile photo of Gmork

I actually tend to read several books at time. I found a free copy of ‘The Mysterious Island’ by Jules Verne on Kindle so I’ll give that a go while plowing through ‘A Game of Thrones’. And truthfully, I’ll *never* truly be done with the classicsLaughing

The latest Jack Reacher novels. Got them on the Kindle and read both in about 3 days. Reacher kicks azz. Great series, starts will “The Killing Floor”

[flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

At Dragon*Con. He was really funny on several panels and was extremely nice and sat and autographed for people. I got hooked early on the audiobooks, since James Marsters is the narrator (Spike from Buffy). A great series.

I’ll have to put that on my Kindle wish list.

Profile photo of GJ

It arrived and I’ve dared to start reading it!

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

[flickr-photo:id=5328397791,size=m]

and series about my home state and the City I was born in Minneapolis MN. Just started State of Fear by the late Michael Crichton, it came out a while back but pretty good so far.

Profile photo of sadock

It’s been pretty solid thus far. Certainly not Sigleresque though. More chaos/order balance swords and horses fantasy based.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Ricky Craig

Book 5 in the Horus Heresy series.

Death, chaos and mayhem, the music of the night

Book 4 in the series. If memory serves it’s a pretty weak book as well. Still for the sake of completeness I’ll read it.

Profile photo of sadock

Dresden is one of my favorite serials. My brother grabbed me this one for Xmas. Loving it so far, but then again, I don’t think there’s been one in the series, that I *haven’t* liked…..

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Avinjer

Hilarious fantasy detective novels. Sam Spade meets wizards and warriors. Refreshingly different.
    One shot one kill? Please, I don’t have that kind of time.

the standard HC and got it a few weeks ago but I haven’t even opened it yet. I still want to finish the Companion and another book I got for Christmas called the Passage by Justin Cronin.

Book 3 of the Horus Heresy series.

My spreadsheet is becoming gigantic

Book 2 in the Horus Heresy series

Profile photo of Jon Marsh

Just finished that book this week…pretty good sci-fi with some ass kicking thrown in for fun. Find it at podiobooks.com

oops…. I pooped

Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror

by Stefan Fatsis (one of the guys on the Slate Hang Up and Listen sports podcast). It’s about his 2 year journey of trying to become a top-ranked SCRABBLE player. There’s a whole ‘nother world out there of the obsessed Scrabblers. Entertaining and can be a guidebook to increasing your SCRABBLE expertise — but beware of the obesssion!

I was forced to read it both high school and college lit. It is nearly indecypherable! sentences that go on for a page! Arrghhh the agony! Flashback!

and though it was written 30 some years ago, it still packs a very hefty punch in the way you think about writing horror.

As for what podcast I find myself listening to? That would have to be Edict Zero FIS featuring Phil Rossi and Jack Kincaid

gothguy720.deviantart.com

Profile photo of sadock

An excellent ‘what if’ story about what could happen in the USA if we continue to sacrifice our freedoms to “ensure our safety.”
    Bonus: I discovered that Cory gives away most of his novels in e-book format at craphound.com. Totally stands behind his DRM is evil philosophy.
    Certainly reminds me of what Scott does with the podcasts. Give your story away for free in an alternative format and ask your fans to buy a treeware copy if they like it.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Gmork

I’ve read a few articles that mentioned Martin writing himself into a corner with this series (having flashbacks of the Wheel of Time series). But I’m giving it a good as I’ve heard nothing but rave reviews for the books that are written. I’m not too concerned with stories that don’t end nicely (or at all)…sometimes some of the best reading are the stories that leaving you wondering and keep the imagination churning.Smile

Just feels right reading it on a lazy summer day! I always love the off beat conversations that occur with gifted characters or harried and frightend characters in his books!

I love them!!

Profile photo of sadock

It’s highly probable that George RR Martin will die before he finishes the series. Given how much more there is to write (3 more novels), the frequency with which he releases material (currently 5+ years/novel), and the way he’s been looking lately, I am not optimistic. I am bracing myself to suffer another Jordan episode.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of sadock

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Wolf

Before you’re “done with the classics”, you must read “The Mysterious Island” by Verne. You have to!! Promise me!

Husband of Susan,

Friend of Junkies everywhere

Profile photo of Michael Brown

For ever in our hearts, Mitchell “The Machine” Fayed #34

Profile photo of Wolf

ddoouubbllee ppoosstt

Husband of Susan,

Profile photo of Wolf

I just finished “The Good Guy” and “Breathless” yasterday. Love Koontz. I haven’t read “The Bad Place” yet, but I agree about “Lightning”. I’m guessing that you’ve probably read “Watchers” by now, but if not, make it your next book. It will always be the favorite of the wife and I. Einstein just hits real close to our hearts.

Husband of Susan,

Profile photo of BigJohn

This is one of my all-time favorite series. Incredible storytelling. My brother told me, “give it the first 100 pages. You’ll be hooked by then.” And man, he was right. I’ve read this series many many times and each time is a fresh treat and new perspective. Simply incredible.

Profile photo of Gmork

The trailers for the series based on A Game of Thrones just looked too amazing (and with the delicious Sean Bean to boot). I’m going to try to bang out these books while on vacation with the hopes of finishing before it airs.

Profile photo of Gmork

Sorry to hear about your iPod incident. But glad you’re hanging out with the coolest people on the interwebz…us junkies Laughing

Just started reading ‘Horus Rising’ by Dan Abnett. Read it before but it’s the first of a series that is being dragged out so impressively and with such a messed up timeline that it’s difficult to keep track of what happened when. Planning to reread the entire series and create some notes in a sensible timeline.

Profile photo of Zach Brence

I *would* be listening to more Sigler-casts, but my iPod recently decided to eat itself for breakfast one morning before work. So I am now tune-less until tax time. Fortunately I was able to finish Infected/Contagious before the “incident.”

By the way, I’m new here if you hadn’t noticed. Tongue out

Profile photo of David Roman

Koontz is my all time fav author (next to Sigler of course), i have all his books, and there are several i re-read almost on a yearly basis.

Lightning: I have read this book multiple times, but everytime i keeps me going. Its a great suspense book, not so much on the horror, but def sci-fi.

The Bad Place: Have to read this at the begining of summer, its how i know summer is here. It has nothing to do with summer, except thats when i first read it, so its now a tradition.

Koontz is one of those authors you either love or hate, but man he puts out the books, at least 2-3 a year. And if your like me and read every night for 1-2 hrs, it doenst take long to go thru books. Now that I have a Kindle, im starting to get these “favorites” on there, and ill have them with me everywhere i go, so when i get done with a book, and dont have anything new, ill just flip to one of these. Oh yeah, and now that “The Starter” is on ebook, ill be keeping it close too!

“A Black Belt only covers 2″ of your butt, you better be prepared to cover the rest.”

Profile photo of sadock

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Stephen Wood

Just about to finish Listening 7th son book 3 by the mother fucker hutchins :)

Profile photo of BigJohn

And yet, I am intrigued…

This one goes right to the Gift Jar.

Profile photo of Jon Kaneshiro

Ofcourse, I’m listening to Ancestor… and

“This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain.” I downloaded this app and listened to a bunch of classics. Treasure Island & Wuthering Hieghts were my favorites.

Ruth Golding reads Wuthering Heights giving each character a voice & personality, much like Scott Sigler does. And like Scott, doing a voice of the opposite sex, very entertaining. The story spaned a few generations and is a truly epic love story. Theres no violence, but I see why it’s a classic.

Treasure Island read by Adrian Praetzellis… is an awesome reading too.

Profile photo of

This science book looks at the role e. coli played and still plays in helping us figure out what life is, and how life works. Zimmer is a bad-ass. His book PARASITE REX was a huge source of research for INFECTED. Me and Carl also once got into a mean game of mumblypeg while in a bar in the foothills of the Andes. We didn’t have knives, so we used heavy-guage hypodermic needles used for injecting vitamins into horses. We’d been up for three days straight hunting for the legendary Piwechen, so his game was a little off. I won on the third round, when Carl put the needle right through the base knuckle of his thumb. In his defense, he didn’t even scream in pain. He looked at his hand, sneered, then said “better my thumb than all the marbles in England.”

I still don’t know what that means.

Profile photo of Bandit

I know it seems a little geeky, but hey, so far it is about Satan and his demonic followers planning to overthrow God and retake Heaven. It is a difficult read but good up to this point.

Sigler, let me be your body double to protect you when you take over the world.

Profile photo of Bandit

I could definately see the Douglas Adams influence.

Profile photo of josh Moon

I am a huge fan of Bentley Littles work. fantasic horror writer with a sense of humor. I recommend him to any one who like horror novels or steven king.

Profile photo of Gmork

by 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas by Jules Verne.

Finished reading this and in the process I learned I had two misconceptions about this book. First, I always thought the name was a singular “Sea” but it is indeed a plural. This makes sense when seen in light of the second misconception I had …which is that the 20,000 leagues speaks to horizontal travel around the seas of the world rather than what I had assumed it to mean…20,000 leagues deep (or vertical distance).

Being a classic piece of work written in the late 1800’s, the pacing is very different and that may be offputting to some readers. It can be slow and tedious, particularly because it contains detailed decriptions of categorizations of animals and sea life. However, if it’s approached more like a travel guide than a break pace thriller, it can be very enjoyable. I enjoyed little revelations (I never knew Capt Nemo’s name had an alternate meaning) and the characters are fully developed and interesting. Like some of the best novels, not every detail is explained and many questions are left unanswered about the ship, Captain Nemo and their demise but I’m actually ok with the mystery of it. In all, I’m glad I read it but it’s definitely not for every one.

Now, I’ll be moving on to a more current reading selection. Think I might be done with the classics for a little while.Wink

Profile photo of Gmork

You can find it off of his site or in iTunes.

It’s only on Chapter 5 right now, but I’m digging it as well. Interested to see where it goes. And I dig Patrick’s reading style…I could listen to him read the phonebook Smile

Profile photo of J.P.

Edited by Jennifer Hudock. It’s a pretty awesome collection of short stories. I’m almost done and loving it.

Profile photo of Ricardo Ruiz

Have you read the Thrawn Trilogy? Awesome books by Timothy Zahn. Awesome series picking up where the Original Trilogy left off.

Profile photo of BigJohn

I didn’t really care for the episode read by his wife; not sure why they did that. Really enjoyed it, though. Further justification for all those Weis/Hickman Dragonlance books on my shelf.

Profile photo of Peter Germany

A friend lent me this book and i am absolutley loving it. Its the first book that i’ve read by Deaver and i will be buying more. Very intelligent, and i’m only half way through it and there has already been some major twists in the plotline. Well worth a read.

Profile photo of sadock

I was not expecting anything that amazing when I read the “book jacket” on PB.com. I’ve since picked up the paperback and read it again.

———————————————————-

I generally love Patrick’s work, but I didn’t know he’d done something new.

———————————————————-

I haven’t decided if I like it yet. I’m at the beginning of Book 2. Book 1 was good, but he appears to have switched character sets on me, only keeping the same world between novels.

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Online book, 8 part series and only 7 are finished. The 8th is half-done and I’m all out of reading material. D: And no, I couldn’t tell you what it’s about, because I’m not even sure, lol. http://www.sapphireplace.com/stories/demere.html

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of athanas

basically, real super heroes dealing with the zombie apacolypse. Pretty fun, easy read.

Profile photo of J.P.

I’m almost finished with Stephen Baxter’s “Manifold Time” and working through several other books including “The Compleat Gentleman”, “Childhood’s End”, and “Farrago”. I also recently downloaded “Child 44″ based on our FDO’s recommendation.

Profile photo of nilling

Love this guys dark storys :)

aka nilling

Profile photo of BigJohn

I’m also reading this book. Without reading the jacket, I observed the similarities in style with Douglas Adams. It’s definitely different.

Profile photo of Bandit

it is an okay book, with lots of funny lines, but I would have a hard time recomending it to someone else.

Profile photo of Gmork

This sounds interesting. I completely understand the concept of a “thickly worded” book. A couple of years back I read Jonathan Strange & Dr Norrel and experienced that very same thing. It was a rewarding read, but there were many interruptions where I had to grab a dictionary. Thanks for the recommendation

Profile photo of josh Moon

ive read this book before, but since im in the middle of moving and all my other books are packed up, this book will do very nicely.

Profile photo of donny bliss

This is a great, thickly worded book and can get daunting if you’re used to faster prose. Michael Chabon won the Pulitzer Prize for this story of two young guys that come up with an idea to make comics and all the adventures that happen throughout the years of their lives. It’s not as much about comics as I would have guessed and more about how the publishing industry screwed the two main characters. Definitely a life lesson for our FDO.

At the moment I’m reading The Unfettered Mind by Takuan Soho. Short but complex at times. Also The Treasure of Khan by Clive Cussler, i like his work in general. If I’m looking for brain candy though my secret shame is The Black Library’s novels. Yeah, I know, it’s really tragic but on occasion the stories are good and besides, huge genetically modified guys charging around the universe with massive guns slaughtering huge aliens with equally massive guns. What’s not to like? Oh, and their Horus Heresy series isn’t too bad though they’re dragging it out something shocking to get more cash from people.

Yeah, that’s a fantastic book. I listened on podiobooks a few years back. Really great novel and not what I was expecting.

Profile photo of Gmork

Currently reading 20,000 Leagues under the Seas by Jules Verne, but prior to that I finished Wuthering Heights for the second time.

I remember reading Wuthering Heights as a teenager and feeling very accomplished…even professing a few times that it was my favorite book. Then recently, I came across a copy and couldn’t even remember a shred of the plot. So I re-read it thinking it would be a good experiment in seeing how this book holds up over time. Well, no so good. I think I remember great things about reading the book because it’s a classic and the language is archaic. I think I also thought as a work of fiction, no one could be as mean spirited or revenge driven as these characters…then I grew up. It’s actually a really dark tale and unfortunately it’s characters have no redeeming qualities. I was disappointed with the story but quite intrigued with the experience of having read it again after so many years and analyzing how and why I felt the way I did about this book.

Profile photo of

My agent told me to read this one. I was kind of snooty about it, as in, “oh, sure, another critical darling book that got tons of media coverage because it is literature.” I should know better by now than to have that knee-jerk reaction. I’m 100 pages in, and it’s fantastic.

The book really paints a picture of what it was like to live in post-WWII USSR — the paranoia, the hopelessness, the fear, and the fact that you could be killed or sent away for a lifetime of hard labor just because your neighbor didn’t like you. It’s also (so far) a cracking thriller story.

Profile photo of Gmork

…always two there are Laughing

It’s the latest Shannara trilogy book. It is a tie in to the Knight of the Word trilogy.

The quiet guy in the corner, figuring out how to destroy all of you.

Reading the second werewolf book by David Wellington. Not a bad take on werewolves. The first book was titled Frostbite: A Werewolf Tale. Almost finished with Overwinter.

It is a story about a very early Darth ,(about 3000 years before Luke Skywalker), Darth Bane is his name, I enjoyed the story. It tells how the Sith developed the rule of only two Sith at a time. One Master and one Apprentice and no more. Give it a try. It is by Drew Karpyshyn. The (written) STAR WARS universe is very big.

“Proud member of the CBBC” Richno3

Profile photo of steveANARCHY

they were supposed to make it into a movie, not sure if that happened or not.

HM-THE ROOKIE

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m] Undead WARLORD

“SHIT adds up at the bottom!” ~ JMK

Profile photo of Justin Miller

almost finished. well worth the read. nice twist with the main character 2/3 way through. didn’t see that comming.

have the sequal Dog Blood here waiting and can’t wait to dive into it.

EDIT: would also like to thank the FDO for turning me on to these two books through his reveiws

Profile photo of Bob Laramee

finished a while back. simple description: zombie football. need i say more

was actually a pretty decent read. it is about high school football, but not a teen appropriate book like some other awesome football books i know

Profile photo of BigJohn

I love the Dragonlance series of books that he did with Margaret Weis (the core books – haven’t read the peripheral books) and got the free Immortals audiobook a few years ago. Just listened to it earlier this year; it was a pleasant surprise.

Profile photo of Gmork

by Tracy Hickman. Absolutely loved this book. Heartbreaking and yet reaffirming, it was one of the few books that made me care about the characters. While I read the hardcover, the book is available in paperback on amazon and as a free audiobook on podiobooks.com.
    ———–
    Gmork – Wiki Czar and Thwackacutioner

Not sure anymore how many there were…I think I read three. All were very good reads. Beware the thread!

Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Twice Over!

is an awsome book

Profile photo of John Ellsworth

Just read this interesting memoir by Nikki Sixx. Lot’s of interesting tales in this one. Loved it. Also, check out The Dirt by Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, Mick Mars, and Vince Neil. A truly great rock and roll book. Just about to start I Am Ozzy by the Prince of Darkness himself, ( No. I said Prince of Darkness not Future Dark Overlord. I would never make that mistake for fear of getting my fingers chopped off. Kinda like that guy in The Road Warrior who try to catch the boomerang. Stupid asshole.Laughing)

Profile photo of Justin Miller

…..rocked! can’t wait for the next 2 in the trilogy. if you have not yet read it i can tell you that it is less boring than The Road. Definitely best post-apocalyptic (sp?) i’ve read/watched/listened to in last couple years

before The Passage i read patient zero and DF; great writting, a good action book, but not enough sci-fi/horror for my taste. (i realize there were zombies in patient zero but….something was missing for me.

gonna start an pld one from 198? next; Lucifer’s Hammer. read that it was comparable to Swan Song and The Stand. and those are exactly my kinda books. anyone read that one yet? really as good as swan song?

From what I remember it was good… obviously given the long running status of this series.

[flickr-photo:id=4730644738,size=m] • SciFiGeek2.0 • Artist for the Damned • Linebacker for the Mars Planets

my bad

its the first in the dragon riders of pern books has any one read it

its the first in the dragon riders of pern books has any one read it

Profile photo of Tony Koester

I liked it – but I wasn’t down with the whole “Drabble” thing. I thought that was stupid. And the story it self was fun but difficult to sink into. Was a good freshman effort. I’d like to see Bible do something else and drop the “Drabble” thing.

- It’s all fun and games until you lose an eye. Then it’s fun and games you can’t see.

Profile photo of athanas

it took me awhile to get the hang of the book, but it’s pretty damn good once you finally get setllted in.

It’s one of the few books that have legit freaked me out.

Profile photo of NeilColquhoun

It’s on my To-be-read list!

Mr Fast Fingers (title bestowed upon me by guestford_junkie)

Profile photo of NeilColquhoun

And I’m on the last episode of Dead Mech – it’s great!

Mr Fast Fingers (title bestowed upon me by guestford_junkie)

Wasn’t a bad story and it was a fun listen; but it was a little too predictable in my opinion.

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of Simon Ögander

Its good, but not Sigler good.

Started listening to Beneath by Jeremy Robinson now but so far im not that impressed.

…made we want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon! It was like Chinese water torture. For the life of me, I can’t figure out how a person can take such a fascinating concept and turn it into the most boring book of all time.

~Writer, activist, book nerd, boozehound, gamer, slapper, sandgroper, accident waiting to happen~

… for each one, all wrapped around that hard-core sci-fi backdrop.

Altered Carbon reads like a Hard-Boiled detective thriller… with a twist.

Broken Angels is more like a militaristic foray with deep undercurrents of indiana Jones… with corporate leanings.

Woken Furies takes on a more politico intrigue slant… with yakuza over-currents.

All with the same character, Takeshi Kovacs… and what a hard-ass he is. Love him, hate him… he’ll rock your world. Just don’t get your stack slagged… real death sucks!

Road Captain for the INSERT NAME HERE Bike Club • SciFiGeek2.0 • Artist for the Damned • Linebacker for the Mars Planets

[flickr-photo:id=4650628802,size=m]

Profile photo of Gmork

Cant wait to get the chance to start it.
    ———–

Road Captain for the INSERT NAME HERE Bike Club • SciFiGeek2.0 • Artist for the Damned • Linebacker for the Mars Planets

… Now I’m jealous!

I was lucky enough to meet him last year. An awesome author and really fun guy.

~Writer, activist, book nerd, boozehound, gamer, slapper, sandgroper, accident waiting to happen~

I will look that up

Take no prisoners. Take no ….bad crack!

Wow, I had no issues with House of Leaves <actually a really creepy book once you get into it> but Foucalut’s Pendulum put me to sleep in like 2 chapters. Maybe I’ll give it another go.

- It’s all fun and games until you lose an eye. Then it’s fun and games you can’t see.

You know, I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about the repetition in that series – but I thought it was excellent. I really liked seeing a long retreat scenario played out in a logical, military manner. And mad kudos to Campbell for the physicis of space battles!

And then I’m either going to read Fragment (by Warren Fahy) or Personal Effects: Dark Arts (ooh…Hutchinsss). I haven’t decided yet.

Captain of the Touchback, Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

“But I’m always dreaming. Even when I’m awake.”

Excellent book! Very well-written, kept me interested the whole time. I definitely recommend this one!

Captain of the Touchback, Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Richard K. Morgan’s Broken Angels and have started on Woken Furies.

I’ve read this whole series (in dead tree and audio) several times… it’s a great, dark, sex/drug/clone/war/political/sci-fi fueled story of a future where mankind is able to resleeve his consciousness into new bodies… for a price.

Just got the book today. The FDO story – The Bag Man – is in there along with a bunch of other podcasters. An anthology of previously podcasted material in print. It was way cool to read it after listening to the podcast. Cheap enough at twice the price. I may have to get another for a gift along with another copy of Ancestor.
    What the fork.. it’s only money. What else am I gonna spend it on? Hookers? Don’t answer that. Unless you want to. I caint not stop yer anyhow.

Take no prisoners. Take no ….don’t know when to shut Ups.!

Profile photo of Eric Parker

Book six fo the Lost Fleet Series. It was pretty good. Dauntless, the First book, was excellent.

I started reading it years ago and quickly gave up – I must have read less than 100 pages.

But thanks for the reminder. I might just give it another go. (If I can read Foucault’s Pendulum, I can read anything!)

Profile photo of BigJohn

An interesting concept for a book, but very hard to read, I thought. Do you have an edition that has all of the crazy sideways-printing and all that?

Profile photo of J.P.

I’m working on several books right now: “Searching for the Sound” by Phil Lesh, plus two other books. And I have one in the queue: “House of Leaves” by Mark Z. Danielewski

Almost finished. Got it for the Kindle. Prob gonna check out his podcast as well or too. Smooth quick read. Lots of horny people in it.

Take no prisoners. Take no …. Rabbit poop!

For example, I’m in the Boston area, which has total crap for an accent (mine is almost non-exisitent to me, being from Pennsylvania).

I personally love the Australian accent… very smooth. Second place: Irish and Welsh.

~ Sci-FiGeek Version 2.0 – Bigger, better, stronger… and with improved green goo!

~ Linebacker for the Mars Planets

No Name is a good book and if your abitious it is on Project Gutenberg or like audio LibriVox

http://www.litopia.com/podcast/no-name-wilkie-collins/ (review)

http://librivox.org/no-name-by-wilkie-collins/ (Book)

http://www.bspcn.com/2009/07/02/best-first-page-of-any-book-ever/ Just read the first page No wonder Litopia loves to hate it.

I personally like it more than Twilight. There is Nothing like a good book and Moon People is……( you old time radio fans can finish that sentance)

I show my copy to everyone I know like FDO and JC say “Share the Pain”

…Captain Jack and our own FDO, for starters!

But I’m a total sucker for Welsh accents. *swoon* Closely followed by Irish. Oh, and Mancunian. (Gene Hunt rocks my world!)

P.G.’s Murder at Avedon Hill is an very excellent read for a fantasy novel. Along those same lines A.P. Stephens novel “The Stolen Moon of Londor” The White Shadow Saga BK 1 is also another excellent fantasy read. A.P. bucks the stereotypical roles of the usual questing party fantasy novel and the result, at least to me, was a unique reading experience. And Like MaAH, TSMoL is also a podcast.

Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Twice Over!

P. G. Hloyfield’s The Murder at Avadon Hill

’cause who else will support our podcast authors???

Pick an Aussie starlet, any Aussie starlet. Her? Really? What a coincidence! That’s exactly what I look like!

(God bless you, anonymous interwebz).

I knew when I was reading it that I was reading it an American accent. It’s all coming together now!

Take no prisoners. Take no .. diction!

If you that wqill make you feel better?

Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum

Jayguana

Captain of the Touchback and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

I haven’t yet found an accent I don’t like, honestly – except the Central New York non-accent used by everyone I know!

Profile photo of athanas

five hours stuck in a tube from Denver to Anchorage is possibly going to drive me mad.

Profile photo of athanas

Ron Perlman is quite the awesome, plus I haven’t come across anything associated with Guillermo del Toro that I did not like.

We’re not friendly, we’re just drunk. Try cutting us off or closing the pub early and see how ‘friendly’ we are!

Just kidding. Loads of tourists talk about how friendly we are, so I guess there must be some truth to it. But the accent? Hell no. I think we have one of the UNsexiest accents in the world! Australians sound like cockatoos.

But the overall friendly nature, easy going attitude, and more “inviting and open” tendencies sure made many squid’s days when we “pulled into port”… so to speak. Plus there is something about that accent… :-D

~ Sci-FiGeek Version 2.0 – Bigger, better, stronger… and with improved green goo!

Everyone who comes here has been at sea for weeks, or consumed free aeroplane booze for 20 hours. Either way, even the ugliest Aussie gals are guaranteed to get laid. :p

… as opposed to “down under”–which is a different story for a different time–as I recall most of the Aussies I met were borderline to full-fledged “hot”.

However, as I was in the navy at the time and spent the majority of the visit fairly sloshed–not to mention that it had been several months since seeing anyone from the fairer sex other than my shipmates–my judgement could have been SLIGHTLY impaired.

Profile photo of sadock

All you have to do is forget to bring your work home with you. Problem solved!

———————————————————-

• Profile photo of Meg Marshall

Well, I guess everybody looks hot after a few beers.

hmmm…maybe that’s why Aussies drink so much?

in the bush! Kidding! so your a hot aussie with a sense of humor? I have got to come over there!!

Jayguana

Black cover with an eye on the front (and a personalised FDO message inside the cover! w00t!)

Written in American English. It was a hard slog, but I managed to figure it out. :)

Jayguana

That’s because it’s written in American English. The only thing the UK changed was the cover.

So, actually, it was ME who had to read Infected in a foreign language! :P

I am amazed how easy it is to read this foriegn version. Their language is fairly similar to ours. Huh. I’ll be dang’d

Take no prisoners. Take no .. bollocks!

Keep us up to date on how it is.

Jayguana

By some guy named Sigler! Its the second time reading it and Im still amazed at how it can suck you in. And not to mention I hear the FDO’s voices in my head and they are not getting along with mine!

Jayguana

But only because I’m waiting for the newly released dead tree copies to arrive.

Fantastic “real-life” or “day in the life of” science fiction… about 180 degrees in the opposite direction from the FD∅‘s amazing stuff.

Want a signed limited edition hard cover copy, either personalized or not, while they last? Or a signed and personalized soft cover?

Head on over to here: http://www.ridanpublishing.com/Quarter_Share_special_offer_hardcover.html

~ Pusher of New Media Literature

Profile photo of Pete Flatman

by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. I listened to the audiobook that was FANTASTICALLY narrated by Ron Perlman (Hellboy).

http://www.thestraintrilogy.com/

Hard to find time to sit down with a real, actual book; but I do so love a cup of tea and a good book in the big comfy chair!

Profile photo of Gmork

I watched the anime version several times and read through the manga version once and I love NGE!! There are layers of meaning that cross religions, philosophy, relationships, love and languages. I loved it so much I bought me some action figures and then used them as photographic studies. Here’s one of my fav mashup photos I took where I imagined what Rei Ayanami would look like if she had a little fun:

[flickr-photo:id=4279946075,size=m]
    ———–

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

with a hardcover of “H. P. Lovecraft: complete and unabridged” from Barnes & Noble press. W00T!!

**Conjunction Junction, what’s your function? No seriously, I slept through grammar class, so I have no idea what you do.**

The new Dresden book, Changes, by Jim Butcher (Dead Tree). – Paranormal/magical detective/thriller (12th book in the Dresden series)

Broken Angels, by Richard K. Morgan (Audiobook). -Very hardcore and explicit sci-fi/action series (lots of death, destruction, philosophy, and sex) (2nd book in the Takeshi Kovacs series) MUST READ/LISTEN SERIES!

-Sci-FiGeek Version 2.0 – Bigger, better, stronger… and with improved green goo!

I don’t mind waiting to find them all though, from what I’ve read so far it seems it will be well worth it!

Profile photo of Gmork