This topic contains 1,257 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of ExotiKali ExotiKali 1 year, 7 months ago.

What are you reading now, or what do you recommend?

I’ve seen threads about what we listen to and what movies we watch, but as intelligent of an audience as we have here, I’m guessing the vast majority of us read treeware books too. So how about it? What have you read dozens of times? Why? What was horrid and you threw across the room in disgust? What are you reading now? Besides Contagious. That’s a DUH.

by Stephen King. I’m up to Book 4. 

It took him nearly 30 years to complete the series and I like watching how he evolved as a writer. It really shows even just between books one and three. 

It’s an epic adventure kind of like Lord of the Rings, but gory and fucked!

I put the laughter in manslaughter.

The name is deceptive but its good psychological horror.

To Kill A Mockingbird!

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #3 in crack hits (Special?  Ain’t I just)

S.H.I.T. Award Recipient and all-around uberjunkie! 

I just finished David Wellington’s book Monster Island.  It’s the first in a trilogy of zombie books, Monster Nation and Monster Planet being the second and third book in the series.  It has some nice surprises :)  and it gave me a couple of nightmares!

Also, David Wellington is co-writing an umpcoming episode of The Crypt with our FDO!

Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! ~ Hoban "Wash" Washbourne – Firefly

It’s a new book on the NYT Best Seller list. It’s pretty good. I  recommend it.

“One ping – one ping only” Captain Ramius

A Lower Deep

Hexes

Deceased

these three books are evil and twisted

Hexes is one of my favorite books of all time!!!!!

We all fear that which we cannot see!!!

I recommend Twilight, even though it has plenty of talking it is still a good book. If you have not already read it, Choke and Snuff by Chuck Palahnuik. King Dork, I forget who it’s by but a great read. I am in process of reading Ender’s Game to have it in my mind for English in a couple of weeks.

G-Man

In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies.

It’s a monumental work of fantasy – You can get lost in his world

Although narritives are related second hand and after the fact their tales are compelling and at times fightening. This work is deeply interesting and anyone who likes good storytelling should get it.

Book 4 was my favorite by far (Wizard and Glass right?)  There are comic books out based on the books which are okay, but don’t really do the books much justice

Yeah but then Jordan and to go and die before the series was finished, so don’t waist your time. 

It aint nothin but a thang

Being a substitute teacher I get many chances to read.  My favorite authors and series right now are George R. R. Marten Song of Fire and Ice series.  These books are some searious reading.  Also anything by Jim Butcher, these are always good for a laugh.   Then there’s Steven Erickson for those who really want a intellegence challenge.  Give me a good werewolf or vampire read and I’m happy 

It aint nothin but a thang M

War of the Worlds by HG Wells

I love the classics. 

WOOF, WOOF

A fantastic novel. Definitly a must read for any comic or non-comic fan. READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU SEE THE MOVIE!!!!

"When i say your dumb name step forward and forsake all other before your new digital ruler…"

on Book 3 as I had too much Sigler content! lol

==============

Option Number Four

there arent many things that ive read that have made me reeavaluate the way i think of things.  it is Monet among finger paintings

who gives a F**k about the nuclear war, let bombs explode because thats what they’re for

*I just did the same, cant beat the classics!

There are several of us here.

and there. Oh. yeah, way over yonder, too.

this thread

I cleaned out my book case and found several books I read for Lit class in high school….. still really interesting and surprisingly similar to some things that go on today!!
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Avatar of Christopher P. Kearney

first and second book. I like them. It…suprised me on a few views. Things I would have never have thought of.

The Irishman from Ohio

been reading a lot of robert howard the guy that wrote conan krull soloman kane ive also been reading the david wellington vamire series 13 bullets 99coffins and vampire zero i highly recommend those

and allways remeber the umpalompas ate charlie at the end! my grama rip

..but after reading the first I will never ook at beef jerky the same again!

he got me interested in reading and kept me reading
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

It’s about the history of the big oil companies and their effect on the world as well as the challenges we’ll face as the oil supplies start to run out.

You don’t understand. I’M not locked in here with YOU. YOU’RE locked in here with ME. – Rorschach

i know, i know.  scott if you want to take my crack away i don’t blame you.  in my diffence, it was easy to read and it was better then tv.  i like books and as long as its well done i’ll enjoy it.

Wow, we all have really good taste in books!

Very Bad Deaths
    by Spider Robinson
    #
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

George RR Martin has made one of the classic mistakes of epic fantasy: he’s dragging this story out towards infinity. Yes, the quality is magnificent. At least book one was. I refuse to touch the rest of the series until he’s finished. Look at what happened with Jordan! Both he and Goodkind drug out there series to ridiculous lengths and Robert frakkin’ died!!! There’s no good reason you can’t encapsulate a good story into a trilogy. Write a second one if you have to. And it certainly shouldn’t take you multiple years to put out one volume of it. Martin has been infuriating in that respect.

I adored Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series, but have not checked out his fantasy books. Are they of comparable quality?

Thank you, George Hrab, for composing and performing the acoustic version of brainsbodyboth. Humorous yet poignant, and you gave me a theme song. I miss Ally <sigh>

Guess you should have made that series a bit shorter, or broken it up a bit. See rant above. Talk about milking the cow. Grrrr.

Thank you, George Hrab, for composing and performing the acoustic version of brainsbodyboth. Humorous yet poignant, and you gave me a theme song. I miss Ally <sigh>

Make sure to read Enders Shadow if you enjoy Ender’s Game. Same plot thread but from a totally different perspective so it becomes a completely different story. Amazing work.

Also check out the Tales of Alvin Maker. Not really SciFi, but still quality stuff.

Yes, I’m a baaaaad boy. Where’s the spanky spoon?

I must agree that these books are the flagstone in any fantasy/horror/sci fi collection.  Stephen King’s Dark Tower series is just so vast, and so well done it’s hard to picture my library without it. Not to mention the direct tie ins with other King fiction. 

Whether it’s direct sister stories (The Talisman/Black House) or just the subtle things that tie almost all of King’s works into the Dark Tower. (Insomnia, Salems’ Lot, The Stand, it goes on and on..)

While our FDO may run us all under tread in plaid army tanks, rest assured that my Dark Tower collection will be joining me in the Sigler-run internment camps.

Sounds awesome!  I recently read World War Z and this sounds like a great chaser.  Is there an audio version that you know of?

Freedom, Family and the Flag…..CHARLIE DANIELS. Check it out.

2 books i just finished great reads and and theirs a pretty good mini series for the first book warning though the mini series was made around 1985

and always remember the umpalompas ate charlie at the end! my grama rip

I checked Amazon and they only had a Kindle version and the paperback…sorry, bro.

I am reading that now. And on a plus side I can read it for one of my books for english. my captcha is effingham badly. I really got a kick out of that.

G-Man

In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies.

fans of manga?

who gives a F**k about the nuclear war, let bombs explode because thats what they’re for

Big fan of Neon Genesis Evangelion and Death Note

2nd mini series called V-The Final Battle with Michael Ironside? Never knew those were novels. Could have sworn those were written for the screen.

I just finished his trilogy: The Eyes of God, THe Devils Armor and The Sword of Angels.  Good books.  My husband said they depicted the way Vadar should have slipped into madness and the dark side, unlike what happened in the first three Star Wars movies.  I agree.  Only if you read them, you really don’t start the slide into darkness until the second book, at least where it really become apparent.  The third book is the cincher.  They are a really good read and I would definantly recommend them. 

"I kill people, I don’t murder them, look it up Sweats!" Agent Celie Booth

possibly one of the greatest detective stories ever

…L was my favorite character.  I love that they stayed true to the concept of Shinimagami’s as well….neat aspect of the story.

I’m a fan of the Great Detective. Recently managed to finally get my hands on a copy of A Study In Scarlet, which I will be reading as soon as I’m done with this one.

Against MEdical Advice by James Patterson and Hal Friedman. Wonderful true story about a kid who has OCD, Tourettes, and an anxeity syndrome.

G-Man

Petroleum jelly is not the kind for a sandwich

A must read for any Gorillaz fan. Oh and i maintain that the 1 good thing about Deathnote (i used to like anime a while back but then kind of fell out of it in a big way) is the 2nd season opening theme song. Brutal japanese hardcore is great! lol

"When i say your dumb name step forward and forsake all other before your new digital ruler…"

Brisked through a PDF of Rise Of the Ogre a while back. Great story and illustrations! The Death Note anime sotra got hard to get into after the first season, but near the end it got much better, and I agree with you on the theme.

After finishing the Twilight series and CONTAGIOUS, I’ve moved onto Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I seem to be the only one who isn’t scared shitless by his writing, but it’s still a fantastic novel.

Woo! Death Note!

Indeed, why did they have to kill him? And I presume you mean "Shinigami"…

And I can’t recommend this enough.

Jim Butcher was having lunch with some friends and the discussion turned to how a good writer can write about anything and the bet was on.  His friends bet him he couldn’t write a story that included pokemon (in some form) and the lost legion.  Well Butcher delivered big time.  Captain’s Fury is the fourth book in the Codex Alera.  (Furies of Calderon, Academ’s Fury and Cursor’s Fury). They are really good, quick, entertaining books that are humorous as hell.  I have to keep reading this stuff as my copy of Contagious is still on BACK ORDER!!!  HUH!!!!!!!!

"I kill people, I don’t murder them, look it up Sweats!" Agent Celie Booth

…because it’s just thast good!!!

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

Vince Flynn. I just started it but it is pretty good.

Just ordered it on your recommendation! Wink

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

by Dean Wesley Smith. Not the greatest Sci Fi out there, but I like them.              

"Official Mascot of GirlCo"

I just can’t seem to get hooked like my friends.

I have never been able to get passed the first chapter of any book he has written and I have tried. I get left out of the group discussions when they have gotten new King books.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (3000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

DAMN now that caught my attention, when i get home on my own computer I will be purchasing that sucker. 

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (3000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

"Harry saw cashews spill out onto the floor." That line sold me on the book.

That was a great tease for the book on Amazon. You show us enough to make us want to read more, then we get stopped mid-sentence. Damn you! 

You don’t understand. I’M not locked in here with YOU. YOU’RE locked in here with ME. – Rorschach

• Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.
  • By Joel C. Rosenberg (not to be confused with Joel Rosenberg)
  • the death toll is higher than Contagious already…… 

is the older and arguably wiser brother of Sherlock Holmes.  Bil DeSmedt makes good use of the name in his podcast novel Singularity.

about Mycroft learning some skills from Sherlock! http://www.scottsigler.com/node/2182#comment-36271

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer It has to do with a the creator of Superman. It is fiction. Good but not great.

I will get all the sleep when I am dead. – Roadhouse

He is a really good horror author. The Rising is a great zombie novel.

Is making me hungry.

what is the book called. the line is funny. I just ordered apocolypse and can’t wait to read it.

Please help to ensure that Dollhouse gets a full first season!! You can buy it on iTunes, watch it on Hulu, or watch it Friday nights 9/8C on Fox. Let’s make sure Joss doesn’t get fucked by Fox *again*

i actually met him at a book signing in freakville at a book convention.  very cool dude and i got him to sign a copy of the Idendtity Crisis graphic novel for me.

Currently working on stephen king’s Dark Tower series, George R.R. Martin’s "A Song of Ice and Fire" series (one of the most complex stories I have read in a while). Rereading the belgariad (favorite y/a series), and just started reading sherlock holmes books (yay). I am also in the middle of Reality Dysfunction (very technical, kind of like Scott’s stuff in that it tries to describe some of the science behind it). Just finished the Dune books (favorite Science Fiction series)

-The OSU vs. Michigan game. 800 years of tradition and the rivalry is still strong as ever

• While I liked the first 4 books in the series, this one left me unsatisfied.
  • The death toll did go way higher then a Sigler book.  Final count was measured at over 1 BILLION souls. 

Or at least the best part! 

Proud member of GirlCo!

Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Reading Roc and a Hard Place by Piers Anthony. It’s part of the Xanth world. It’s pretty funny, but I’m not sure I’m going to make it all the way through it.

Recommend: Inkheart series by Cornelia Funke.

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie."

by some author named J.R. Manis in the mail yesterday!!!!  Anyone ever heard of him!!!!!

Same thing here, a box was left on my doorstep. yesterday as a matter of fact. HMMMMM do you think it is a conspiracy?

I got mine yesterday too but didn’t get off work until late, so didn’t read it yet.  Today is a beautiful day outside so I plan on sitting on my patio and reading the book!!!! (after I get off work of course!)

it’s fun to ignore people while reading on the bus here. so many people do it.

Hell I have gotten books to read by seeing someone else reading it on the bus and then asking about. lucky they didn’t ignore my question. so whats it about??? 

Smother me in chocolate and slap me on a Graham cracker! 

But I changed my mind!!!!!!!

I don’t know if he is from Fort Lauderdale or not but he lives here now I believe. Where is Freakville? Did you like Book of Lies?

it’s fun to ignore people while reading on the bus here. so many people do it.

Hell I have gotten books to read by seeing someone else reading it on the bus and then asking about. lucky they didn’t ignore my question. so whats it about??? 

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (3000 and climbing)& I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Laurall K. Hamilton’s Bloody Bones (An Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter Novel)

Steve Alten’s Meg: Primal Waters

and Anne McCaffrey’s The Weyer’s of Pern

Western Carolina University Lady Catamounts Basketball:16 – 11 (12-6 SOCON)

Smoky Mountain High School Lady Mustang Basketball: 15-2-0 (8-1 Western Athletic Conference)

7th novel in "The Hollows" series by Kim Harrison.  Great series that takes place in Cincinnati!  If you like witch/supernatural series this is worth checking out! 

Proud member of GirlCo!

and I figured I might as well grab some crack by harassing you about it Tongue out Neener Neener Neener!!!

Please help to ensure that Dollhouse gets a full first season!! You can buy it on iTunes, watch it on Hulu, or watch it Friday nights 9/8C on Fox. Let’s make sure Joss doesn’t get fucked by Fox *again*

and clicked the back button for some reason. then when I came back to my computer this afternoon i thought I forgot to submit. so clicked the button again.

If the Crack needs to be taken away, I will hold on for dear life, but alas i will not be able to hold on. 

….and feelings start getting hurt. Double posts happen. It’s not worth the effort of removing them. Take the crack and run, brother!

Please help to ensure that Dollhouse gets a full first season!! You can buy it on iTunes, watch it on Hulu, or watch it Friday nights 9/8C on Fox. Let’s make sure Joss doesn’t get fucked by Fox again!  

I’ve read 9 of his early novels over the past week. It’s amazing how entertaining some of the science fiction from the 40′s and 50′s still is. Goes to show how timeless the art of a real master can be.

Please help to ensure that Dollhouse gets a full first season!! You can buy it on iTunes, watch it on Hulu, or watch it Friday nights 9/8C on Fox. Let’s make sure Joss doesn’t get fucked by Fox again!  

I read the first book. I am way behind. It is very humerous.

I have always wanted to read some of his books. Where should I start?

I really liked it.

1. I will Fear no evil (starts off with a brain transplant)

2. Stranger in a strange land 

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (4000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

one short story I heard Read on NPR was called "Chicxulub", ( it is in his book titled "Tooth and Claw"anyone that has a teen or a pre-teen should sit down and read this story with their child. I was in awe of this story and how well told it is.

I go back and read it every so often. 

find it at the local library or hell go to the book store and read it there. it’s that short. 

or got to this link and read it: 

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2004/03/01/040301fi_fiction?currentPage=all

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (4000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Any fans? I think I start with his first one, Practical Demonkeeping

I feel in love with his writing after picking up his vampire book title, ‘You Suck’.  I realized that was a sequel to ‘Bloodsucking Fiends’ so I went out and got that book, read it then read ‘You Suck’. I also loved ‘The Stupidest Little Angel’, but I that’s because the real premise of that book is so cleverly hidden :)  Just picked up his latest book titled, ‘Fool’.  Can’t wait to dig into it!!

Christopher Moore just has a wonderful way of capturing the essence of a character…even if its a teenage, vampire loving, goth girl!

I have the first 4 books shipping from Amazon.

You’ll have to give an update on how you liked his older stuff.  I havent read all of it but I hear great things about it. 

I have heard good things as well and decided it’s time to give them a try!

I have seen his stuff in the bookstore. I will check this out. Thanks for the link.

I read the first Anita Blake book. It was a blast.

I have read the first Martin book in that cycle. I am hoping he finishes the lastest book. It has been years he has been working on it. Dark Tower is epic. I am a huge King fan. Especially his early stuff.

His Spencer books are really fun.

Amazon just sent me an email about GRRM’s A Dance with Dragons saying it has a release date of Sept 19, 2009.  I also recently received an advanced reader copy of GRRM’s Busted Flush: A Wild Cards Novel from the publisher.  Just started it :)

Can’t wait to get my hands on the next Graphic Novel of the Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman. Great Book. Zombies and Blood an so much more

of Anne Rice’s interview with a vampire. (ok so showing a little age here) but that is the only one I have ever gotten. how does one get one, now?

I just finished reading vol.4 of the TPB and find it interesting so far. 

I complete book reviews for them so the publisher sends them my way :)

i’m on the 8th now.   Her other series (A lick of Frost, Swallowing Darkness, A Minstrel’s Kiss) is basicly Farie porn…

Western Carolina University Lady Catamounts Basketball:18 – 11 (14-6 SOCON)

Western Carolina University Men’s Catamounts Basketbal:16 – 14 (11-9 SOCON)

while reading your post I thought you were citing porn titles. i was thinking where do you find those.

Anytime I want to know about a book I just look at Gmork’s review on Good Reads!!!  Saves me lots of distresss, time and money on bad books!!!!  But don’t anyone tell Gmork that! Wink 

by Mick Foley. Also fight club and pop goes the weasel by james patterson. oh and farehnheit *sp*451.

G-Man

Paterson nice choice I really did enjoy his books.

Wow Farenheit 451. I haven’t read that since High School. wild book as well as 1984. 

actually reading faenheit 451 for english in high school. Havernt read 1984 yet, although I did read animal farm last year.

G-Man

especially for when you get to college.  

So I’m still in the 50′s right now. Stranger is in the 60′s and Evil is in the 80′s if I recall correctly. To Sail Beyond the Sunset and The Number of the Beast are two more that I recall liking a lot, but it’s been years since I read the later books in his career so this is all based on older impressions.

they are very good books…

epically when Claudia Black is doing the read…. *drool*

Western Carolina University Lady Catamounts Basketball:18 – 11 (14-6 SOCON)

Western Carolina University Men’s Catamounts Basketbal:16 – 14 (11-9 SOCON)

Nate Dogg… The only signature I need is my fist.

The premise is so unique and quite an extraordinary adventure.  And I am sure that island exists! (well, maybe my imagination really *wants* it to exist)

I really like the TV movies with Tom Selleck. I wish they would make a regular series out of them.      

“For Us, The Living” right now. Excellent book.

– “When I get a little money I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes.” – Erasmus

1) “For Us, The Living” by Robert Heinlein (mentioned elsewhere in this thread), and 2) “The Closing of the American Mind” by Allan Bloom. Both are great so far!

– “When I get a little money I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes.” – Erasmus

I don’t recall that book.

Damn you JP now you have added another book to my reading list. THANKS, no really thanks. gotta have a list or i will go crazy. 

According to the editor, it was never edited while RAH was alive. Finally published in hardback in 2004. I’m almost 1/4 through it and starting to think it’s one of his best. You’ll be glad you added it to your list! (And you can get it in paperback now.)

well not really, if that is the only way it has been published.  

I prefer HBs, but like paperbacks when I have to travel.

160 books in an easy electronic device. yes found it on amazon.

hardcover, $3.99

Looks good. thanks again for the recommendation. 

It’s a hardback!

I liked to listen to Joe Mantegna read the Spencer books.

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

who bought my book, has it arrived yet?

haven’t finished it yet though! Smile

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." – Goethe

Yes.

they are refunding my money because the book is not in stock at the store I "ordered" it from.

Here I go again to look it up. DAMN them. I bet it was that Damn Dirty Junkie beating me to the book just like he does with the new junkies.

Has anyone read any of his recent works? I enjoyed his earlier works Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lise Overdrive. But that two decades ago – yikes I suddenly feel very old lol

==================================

Neil laughed. "I’m a soldier, not a cop, ma’am." 

that’s the one I’m talking about.

It’s not the best of my working, not by far, since it was written almost two years ago, so don’t loose faith in me if you find it completely horrifying–and not in the good way.

a PM once I finish the book.  Don’t want to spoil it here for anyone else who is going to read it.  I do have faith in you and realize it is an early work.  Gee, from what I can tell you are still in High School so I didn’t (and don’t) expect you to write like the FDO at such an early stage in your career.  I should be finished soon.

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.  Boldness has genius, power and magic in it." – Goethe

just having trouble with the pacing. it doesn’t help that the pacing of my life is a little off as well. so keep having to remind myself to read.

anyway when I’m done will give you a better overall 

I began writing APOCALYPSE in seventh grade, and finished it early in my eighth grade year. I promise you, my writing has already grown much better since.

the matrix was one of them.

In Junior High I was just into boys!  When I get a job your book is next on my list to buy!  Had to curb my habit for a while, funds are limited! 

Proud member of GirlCo!

It’s the story of the supervillain Doctor Impossible and rookie superhero Fatale told from their perspectives. The chapters alternate between their points of view and their origin stories are laid out as the story heads towards a confrontation (of course there’s a confrontation, wouldn’t be much of a superhero story without one).

It’s a good book and I hope he returns to these characters and their universe sometime. 

I enoyed "Soon I will Be Invincible’.  Admittingly, I purchased the book solely on the cover art, which I thought was brilliantly done.  But the tstory is quite enjoyable in communicasting the reality behind the superhero.

While I haven’t heard about sequels in the works, according to io9 the book has been optioned for a movie (click here to read article).With any luck it will be made!

I was looking at this recently mainly because of the cover art as well. I will have to give it a try.

I’m a Pusher. Won’t you be a Pusher too?

Do you have a link to purchase your book?

I’m a Pusher. Won’t you be a Pusher too?

you can purchase it there. simple, easy and quick

I’m reading Watchmen for the first time. I want to have it finished before I see the moive. This is the first comic I have ever read and I am enjoying it more then I thought I would. This may be the begining of many more comics for me.

A friend of mine suggested that I start the series. Anyone read at least the first one? What did you think?

“For Us, The Living” (RA Heinlein), in the home stretch with “Duma Key” (King), and have “Anathem” (Neal Stephenson) in the batter’s box!

Want to talk about a fucked up book….I loved every bit of it.

Before that I finished The Godfather of Grappling. Awesome book about the life of Gene Lebell.

Parallax by Jon Merz  Not really a hard-core science fiction book but a story about a parallel universe.  Several twists and turns.  I highly recommend it!

by Sara Gruen, I believe. Excellent book! I definitely suggest it to everyone. Seriously, you have to check it out.

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie."

Currently reading Earthcore for the 1st time, although I guess I shouldn’t be reading it at work….whatever.

I’m about half way through so please don’t ruin it by disclosing anything about the last half. So far, I LOVE IT!

Y-Y

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

The Orc King: Transitions Book 1 by R.A. Salvatore which is the first in a triology featuring this author’s long standing character Drizzt DoUrden, a Dark Elf making his way amongst Orcs, Humans, Dwarves and Fair Elves.  One of my all time fav fantasy characters.

Currently reading Sabriel by Garth Nix, which is a very well written fantasy novel as well.  Also listening to Crescent by Phil Rossi in the car during my commute. Really well written horror/sci fi podcast novel.

The C.True biography about Bill Hicks. I’m enjoying trolling YouTube at the same time for clips of his stand up and having more background about each gig, where he was and what influences were in his life at the time.

I have a lot of Bill Hicks on audio, but he was such a visal artist too, its well worth the time to check it out.

Oh and its a great read too!

Now..I’m off to hug a tissue box – its flu season in down under! *achoo* 

Can you feel that….that chill at the back for your neck? I’m watching you.

No. I’ve read Ancestors, Infected, and Contagious. The Rookie is my next read.

"Don’t drink the water", 

yumyum

I too love Bill…

I have the following audio CDs:

Bill Hicks – 1992 – Relentless

Bill Hicks – 1997 – Rant In E-Minor

Bill Hicks – 2003 – Shock And Awe

Pity I never caught his live shows :(

MEH-TALLLLLLLL!!!

great book. Also got my friend to read Contagious, he loves it so far. he’s getting Infected over the weekend.

G-Man

More Deaths Than One by Pat Bertram.  It’s a story about playing mind games and mind experiments.  It is very good, you can purchase it as a kindle version and she is a self-promoted author like Scott.  I am very impressed with her writing.  She also has a book out called A Spark Of Heavenly Fire that is about a disease called the red death.  That book is next on my list!!!!! 

World War Z.  This is the second time I’ve read it and its even better this time.  

I also just started Speaker For the Dead.  Loved Ender’s Game as a young lad and I never took the time to read the rest. 

He’d obviously made the turn and was hurtling down that final straighaway to the void. His membership in the sentient being club permanently revoked.

Reading it to CB, but I suspect I’m loving it more than he is. He’ll get these read to him for years though.

Not a "I can’t put it down kinda book." but i enjoyed it.

just started it is good tho

as my name says i love zombies and the book is one of the best

“Heavenfield” by I.G. Hulme.

Read the Algebraist ages ago and i just got another one of his books the other day. Really epic sci-fi stuff. Kind of like Peter F Hamilton except shorter. And just to be awkward: Haruki Murakami. Japanese author. Really, really weird… In a good way! His best one i’ve read would probably be Norwegian Wood.

Mister Crusher SHUT UP! Doctor, get this child off my bridge… – Captain Picard

Cyclops: "Fry em Storm"

Magneto: "Really? A lightning strike in a giant copper conductor? I thought you lived in a school.

<

just finished it its is awsome

Im a  friend of death, a brother of luck and a son of a bitch!

Finished Heavenfield and picked this one up at Balticon. Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry is fantastic! Puts a hook in you right from the start. It’s a great dose of SciFi/horror, heavy on the science. Wanna be scared about zombies, read this one!

when I ordered it the first time the book seller on amazon did not actaully have the book in stock. 

so Now it is in my qeue to read.

The only detractor is a lengthy near-rant he goes on about economics. But then again, it’s interesting and classic Heinlein (the futurist). It’s actually quite amazing how he describes some of the economic issues we face today!

Gotta love classic SciFi   

No power in the Verse can stop me.

~~There are many types of heros, I am one who just happens to eat brains~`

• King Of UNdead for Sigler

SORRY!  Its good though.  Not Sigler good and I still can’t deal with "Welcome Up Everybody", but its good.

Undead Champion and Pusher 

Jack Rabbit Moon by Dorraine Darden!

Genesis: Revisited by Glenn A. Terris

Just finished Lirael by Garth Nix and now I am 60% done (according to my Kindle) with the third part of the trilogy, named Abhorsen.  Awesome series, intellegently written with some of the most unique devices I’ve read in a fantasy novel.

Do I know how to have a good time or what? 

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]

all gazillion of them.  My fav was Temple of the Winds.  Big boy fantasy.

And nice plug for the Kindle. I have to admit I was impressed with yours!

The Leviathan Chronicles. Well done and thoroughly enjoyable. Almost half way through.

with hers, too! 

my keyboard.

one expensive night… It would almost be cheaper to just fly out to see Mr. Wolf and enjoy this banter in person!

if ya don’t mind Mallows snoring! 

Would gladly occupy your guest room. And ours is open to you. (Did I just say t’aint?)

Yup, I’ve crossed to the good side (if only for a brief moment)

• The Pastry Princess; Evil Incarnate and proud Member of GirlCo!

Just run the plays I call, Barnes!

He didn’t do anything.  He just said "Welcome up".  HeeHee Smoochies.  And I highly recommend Sword of Blooooooooooood! What it that?  Someone whispering "Grand Design of Nine"!!!!!!!

Complexity – The emerging science at the edge of order and chaos.

It’s about complexity theory, complex adaptive systems, and self-emergent orginization.

Practical Homicide Investigation

A text book I’m using for some research. Don’t know if that really counts.

Sexual Homicide: Patterns and Motives

Again, research.

It takes me months to get through a book because I’m usually reading two or three at a time. Ahh ADD, what would multi-tasking be without you? :)  

It starts good, then just keeps getting better and better!

is all sorts of fun when applied to game theory!

this is an excellent reading list. I LOVE IT,

PULSE, alot of death in here. I AM only a little over half way through but really enjoying the read.

but I refuse to buy it till it comes out on Kindle.  I do like Jeremy Robinsons books! Smile

I have a sony reader and really like it. there is just nothing like a paper bound book.

bring all the boys to the yard. >:^)

conversation was about until, Gmork, you had to bring up the … My head cannot comprehend… ok, must stop babbling…

Jeremy said he was going to check on it but I haven’t heard anything yet.

well do you want my copy when I’m done until it is put on Kindle? 

Just got it yesterday and I’m already ~150 pages in. It’s a lot unlike SK’s other stuff, but it still echoes his style. Of course, I have to finish a ton of other books for Accelerated English class next year. 

Books to read for school:

The Fountainhead -Ayn Rand

1984 – George Orwell

Lord Of The Flies – William Golding

Night, Dawn, and Day – All by Elie Wiesel.  

A few of my friends are saying they’re reading this "The Rise and Fall of Leon House" book by this kid named "J.T. Manis", whoever that is. They all say it’s great though, so I may just have to get around to reading it… ;)

what friends could you be talking about? hehehe

that particular book is next in my queu, to read.

that I gave manuscript copies of the book to once it was fully edited. They like it so far.

is it a comedy?

There is a thread with some info on the story. Check it out I heard it fun!

"What the hell is happening? I blew up the building. Why? Because you made a phone call."

I hope you enjoy it!

"What the hell is happening? I blew up the building. Why? Because you made a phone call."

you say I should hold out for 6 to get hooked?

I will download the first one to see.

A tip of the hat to the good taste of Gmork, and a fantastic TV series.

Just like a budding FDO… Maybe an apprentice of sorts. There can only be two. (sing-song voice) Star Wars!

Captain Picard: Mister Crusher SHUT UP! Doctor, get this child off my bridge.

Mal: Well lady, I must say……you’re my kinda stupid  UFS

sometimes our Lil’ Brother JT, takes things way to seriously.

or is it just my internet persona, JT Manis/Jtmanis?

There’s a way to distinguish us. The real me has periods separating his initials, the evil doppleganger does not.

Makes for some interesting classes at school. 

we have grown to love and care for…

there is a spinn off btw

i Misunderstood.

i read his 1st 2 books and they were pretty funny.  you can get through them pretty fast.  i’m finding myself stalling on this one b/c all my free time seems to be cracking on here.  

"SHIT adds up at the bottom!" ~ JMK

by a great author.  I really enjoyed Bloodsucking Fiends and the follow up to it called You Suck.  I actually bought You Suck first (because of the cover art) and then realized it was the second in a series.  After reading those two books I was hooked on Christopher Moore’s writing!

I just finished Abhorsen by Garth Nix today and while I thought a few o the character devices were deus ex machina, I actually teared up at the end.  Didnt realize how invested in the characters I had become.  In all it was a great end to the trilogy.

I started Pride & Prejudice today as well.  And my motivations are less to learn about classic literature and more to become familiar with the framework of this story so that I better understand the next book I will be reading entitled  Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Classic Regency Romance – Now with Ultraviolent Zombie Mayhem! I can’t wait to read it but since I’ve never read Pride & Prejudice I figured I would get more out of the Zombified version if I familiarize myself with the original text first.

Who the heck names a character "Dunkin?" Kinda dorky, like "Pookie" or "Quinten" or… wait, I should shut up now, huh?Smile

its about a zombie cupainants its realy funy short 2 u coulp probly nock it out in an hour

my sis got it 4 me for my birthday and its a great read

what a riot. I love his voice.

Hah, careful there…

its a vioce u can only get by smoking 4 packs of cigs a day lol

I’ve been meaning to read that! I’ve heard they’re making a film called Pride and Predator! Seriously. I’ve read articles about it and it’s been okayed for production! Basic storyline is the same as Pride and Prejudice except a Predator lands to hunt. Basically tears the shit out of all of them! Sounds hilarious

i read his 1st 2 books, and they were great.  so i’ve decided to try and read all of his books.  but it’s hard when i’m also trying to listen to the FDO’s audiobooks, so much to do and so little time to do it.  

by larry niven?  very imaginative.

So, it is good? I want to get it for my friend for his birthday or Christmas, but I wasn’t sure if it was worth it. If you enjoyed it, though, I think I might go ahead and put in an order for it.

check out that book too.

just not enough time right now

but it sounds like Nix overcame it. I think I need to pick up one of his books. Between your recommendations at Balticon, and now a post or two you’ve made about his stuff, I’m interested! I just wish you’d read more…(grin).

Tongue out

the scottsigler.com forums. It’s fascinating stuff, probably the most intelligent collection of thinkers, philosophers, and science experts that I have ever encountered. I highly recommend it :)  

i picked that up from a library’s sale cart last week but havent gotten around to it yet.  I have heard that the Halo games ripped a bunch of stuff off from it, but i dunno if thats someone just trying to trash halo or what.

by Jeremy Robinson. Definetly a good read. worth the ride.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man, UNRec Leader & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Newest Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child novel about special agent Pendergast.  about halfway through it and its every bit as good as I had hoped.  I actually bought it at a signing "they" did around here.  I say "they" because some communications mix-up led to them being sent to the wrong store (which had closed to open the one the signing was actually at) so they both headed home.  apparently Child drove or something so he turned around and came back in time to do the signature thing.  hey one is better than nothing!

1st person shooters aren’t my thing.  so i’m not sure if halo did or didn’t take anything from the book.  although bioshock was f’n awesome.  ringworld is a fun read no doubt.  we have a great public library that has books for sale everyday.  i could take 10 dollars to my library and buy a box of books, yes they are that cheap.  in fact i saw the owner from the used book store i go to at the library buy a mess load of books for his store.  crazy. 

Does that mean you’ll start on TRAFOLH? :)

so will be starting on that book some kid out east wrote. Love Ya, Lil’ Bro. will let you know what I think periodically.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man, I AM UNRec Leader & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

i keep reading about on here?  i think maybe i wanna check it out.

its by some guy named JT Manis. He is a Junkie. 

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man, I AM UNRec Leader & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

i’ll try and find it.  got support another junkie.  

the rookie?  you think i can borrow it for a bit?

that it’s now on Amazon, if that helps.

thanks for the info.

the library here used to have a BIG sale once a year for like fri-sun.  i would go friday and get all the stuff i couldnt live without, then come back through sunday to get the stuff they "marked down" gotta love a a grocery bag full of books for 3 bucks.  now though they just have a couple tables out all the time and circulate whats on em, so no waiting :(

i was all jacked up.

i hear they’re supposed to be pretty good.  because i respect the opinions of what’s good reading from so many of you, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

i’m there almost if not every day

has a good book called 13 bullets,  have any of you read this author or his monster trilogy?  on his website he has a bunch of links, anyone want to take a wild guess who’s on there?  it’s real easy.

here is a site that has the free books online.  you can do this if you’ve already listen and read all of the FDO’s AWESOMENESS!!

http://www.brokentype.com/monster/

it’s cool if you work in a cubicle

A truly amazing book, easily one of my favorites.

Read through it over the last 3-or-so days, and it’s okay. Worth your time if you’re a 7th son fan, but if not, you may want to avoid this sophomore slump of a series. "Fear the dark"? Seriously? I’ve had kittens look at me and give me more fearsome chills than reading through this in the dark.

tell us what you really think. thanks for the frank and honest critique. I look forward to reading it now. If for nothing else, Just to see where you got your material. Now off to read. or sleep or something. this damn cold won’t leave me alone.

It should be up within 48 hours, supposedly. When it is I’ll post a link.

I recommended this when I was part way through it. Just finished it this morning and my recommendation stands. Tip of the hat to our FDO–he was toting a copy around Balticon and recommended it. Fantastic book!

that comes with it is cool and if you travel through the websites you’ll know more about Zack Taylor than he knows about himself.  I myself was scared when reading the book so I guess scary is a matter of personal opinion.  I found the book to be what it was hyped up to be and will also be posting a review on Amazon.  I do highly recommend the book.

A few of my items were torn up, crumpled, smashed, etc., though that’s probably just Amazon’s fault. Though it’s extremely difficult to make everything fit back into the "pocket" in the front cover.

I guess I’m just pretty much impossible to scare. Not even Siggy himself has been able to create something that’s ‘frightened’ me. I also usually listen to it when I’m going to bed, so that just shows my nerves of steel.

My friend, I want to share some honest feedback about your review. 1) It’s way too long. I’ve written quite a few essays in my life (and I’m not talking about school assignments). A book review shouldn’t appear to be an essay–even a short one. 1200 words are simply too many. The only reason I read your entire review is you’re a junkie on this site. Otherwise you’d have lost me after the first 2-3 paragraphs. 2) You stated there are only a couple books in your life that ever caused fear in you. That’s fine, but you just eliminated your credibility by defining yourself as something other than an average reader. Where a self-observation like you made actually matters is if you were to follow your statement about yourself with something like, “and this scared the hell out of me.” Since this was just another book that didn’t scare you, it made me think your review lacked any real value. In fact, it comes across as self-aggrandizing and boasting. 3) I walked away from your review thinking it was pretty clear you blew through the book (in three days) rather than taking the time to read it and take it in. Many of your observations make it clear you’ve missed things that were in the text of the story. It’s also clear you completely missed the point made in most of the marketing (which you referred to) that the book reaches far beyond just the printed pages and the “personal effects” included within the cover. That’s fine–the book stands alone, but much of what you say reinforces two things–a story beyond the printed pages and in this case onto the web and into social media, and a story that extends beyond a single book. Finally, 4) Frankly, your review was harsh. You’re a fledgling author. Think about the time, effort and emotion you’ve invested in your first book–and this is JC’s fourth. Think about how you’ll feel when someone posts an essay like yours as a “review” on Amazon.com. Just some food for thought for you.

But I did not just "blow through" it. I read it at my own pace, not forcing myself to hurry up and get done with it. I’m just a quick reader, is all. 

Most of the marketing was misleading, saying that there was a great backstory of The Brink, when it reality there was barely anything but a slight mention of anything that’s ever happened there. There was talk about the great variety of the "very darkest" of the patients, yet only… three? are even mentioned in the book: Grace, Spindle, and the monopoly kid.

I took the time to go through and follow the Personal Effects, though it didn’t feel that rewarding. The number to Zach’s voicemail didn’t even work for me!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that J.C.’s a bad author –I loved 7th Son–, but I’m just saying he easily could have done better at writing this.  I have to keep wondering what all Weissman worked on; if he just did the Personal Effects, or also actually wrote the text. I also mentioned that the series has a chance of redemption IF there were sequels. I did NOT completely dismiss the entire franchise, saying it was complete trash, or anything to that effect; only that it has a slow (and for me, slightly unappealing) start.

Another thing I forgot to mention in the review is that it seems too condensed, and that’s affected the quality quite a bit. If J.C. had enough space to draw things out instead of cramming them in, then it most certainly would have been better. I was anticipating this book more than my own birthday, wanting to get into Martin’s psyche and explore it, but that’s not what you get.

I’ve written more than just one book, and far more than will ever see the public eye. Just because I don’t publish it doesn’t mean that I haven’t written it. I’m open to criticism about my books, and welcome it with open arms. If you find a problem with it, let me know, but if you’ve given it a chance and are honest, then I have nothing to be upset about. 

Man I just got done with David Moody’s Hater and man did that scare me

Not as much as an FDO novel but mannnnn….Also am listing to Phil Rossi’s

"Eden" Podcast and mannnnnn I would not like to be Lola or be on that

Tree

might be in order. The way your review is written suggests you hurried through the book, at least based on our reading of the same book here in our household. As for your books, the only ones we’re collectively aware of are the ones you’ve made available to us–that is the one published one. I’ll definitely read it when it arrives–no doubt that’s why I ordered it, but it’s the only one we’ll be able to (positively or negatively) comment on. Publish the others and I’ll be glad to read ‘em!

I thought Cresant was absolutely brilliant.  It actually has one of my favorite lines in any work of literature:  "Panic spoke up full now, and said ‘Scream for your life bitch!’, so Marissa screamed."  I replayed that line over and over… his delivery was awesome. :-)

And I got a big kick out of JP’s picture with Phil… funny putting the face with the voice.

it made no sence

and man is she hott

hit my queue. I’ve listened to the entire series and can’t wait for each new episode. OK, actually I can wait, but I don’t like waiting for more of Mur’s great crack. (OMG! Did I just say that? I meant crack in the same way that… oh, never mind. I’m doomed. No way I can explain that one away, regardless of intent.)

You can download his album “Spent” from iTunes. His band is called “Phil Rossi and the Bad Habit”.

And we are anxiously awaiting the arrival!

hence the length of the review. 

And technically, I have four "books" available: two short-story collections and two novels. Though the first novel (APOCALYPSE) and the first short story collection (Tales From The Darkness) are going out of print, and there’s going to be a book released which includes APOCALYPSE, Tales From The Darkness, along with Silent Screams and Conspiracies (the new short story collection). 

hence the length of the review. 

And technically, I have four "books" available: two short-story collections and two novels. Though the first novel (APOCALYPSE) and the first short story collection (Tales From The Darkness) are going out of print, and there’s going to be a book released which includes APOCALYPSE, Tales From The Darkness, along with Silent Screams and Conspiracies (the new short story collection). 

Eden was great!  Eerie and haunting is the best way to describe it for me. 

I got a copy of JC Hutchins’ Personal Effects: Dark Art over the weekend.  It’s a  gripping story!  Hard to put down.

pretty funny so far.

2 bad she will die during the asention for being better looking that the FDO

the FDO has a special seat for his friends like the incredible Mur…

“Getting Pissed with the FDO” yet? I was listening to it while I was jogging and had to stop a few times because of my own laughter. The whole thing was completely funny, including Mur’s occasional comments. She needs to be the permanent bar wench in future episodes.

but I liked this even better than Crescent.

hey thought i was crazy and every bar should come with a mer wnch

I was trying not to outright laugh because then people on the bus/train would have thought me insane and might try to 5150 me.

MEH-TALLLLLLLL!!!

An eco-horror about a decaying town and it’s worship of meat. Not sure it would make me a vegatarian but it is by no means a hippy book either.

MEH-TALLLLLLLL!!!

and the holy peppered bacon.

I started listening to Crescent after you mentioned Phil Rossi below. Thanks for mentioning him, so far its great stuff. 

Bacon is heaven. Peppered bacon is ice cream in heaven.

MY copy of Personal Effects: Dark Art arrived today. Now Shadygirl and I don’t need to tussle over the first copy that arrived. Not that it matters; she pummeled me took it and finished it first. But now I declare pathetic victory. Although it doesn’t matter, I have a copy of my own. (Go ahead. Feel bad for me. It’s OK. I do.)

Wrestling with a Member of GirlCo? And you expect us to feel bad for ya? Yeah, right! 

(You can’t see me, but I’m grinning large.)

It pays to be married to a GirlCo gal. But sometimes it hurts. That’s why I wear these cool shiny glasses.

on PE:DA? Have you delved into the web side of it much yet or the phone messages?

UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

Crescent.  To be honest i’ve been like a kid in a candy store since i’ve discovered INFECTED and the FDO’s website.  lots of good peeps on here.  so much to read and listen to.  

jack wakes up ordered!  amazon is da’ shiznit!  i don’t know why i keep calling him jake.  it’s jack damn it, JACK!!! maybe now i’ll remeber the damn title.

HOMELAND by R.A. Salvatore.  i was thinking that since so many of you have read or are reading some great books that’s hard to keep up.  is there any way we can create a thread something like a suggested readings list, with just the author and title of the book?  

I’ve got that one on my regular rotation… 3 go-rounds so far.  His ambient sound effects are incredible… very spooky at times.

I’m three days behind on that joke… I gotta step it up!

read / start reading TRAFOLH yet?

you listen to more than one audiobook at a time?  i’m finding that if i read i’m missing out on quality audiobooks and vice versa.

did she use the book or the spanky spoon to pummel you? Tongue out

• The Pastry Princess; Evil Incarnate and proud Member of GirlCo!

Along side the spookiness, sci-fi space gear, gore, and all around awesomness, its got sex too!   It’s got all the trappings of a Gmork favorite!

to read and listen to all of the audiobooks.  i don’t even remember what a tv looks like.  i suppose that a good thing.  

doing my job, so it gives me alot of time to listen.

New book "The Rise and Fall of Leon House"

it’s like an added perk that you get to listen.  that’s really cool.

I AM on the road alot. I am on the train or bus one way another and jsut put in the headphones and listen away.

i unfortunately am not on the road so really the only time i have to listen is a couple of hours b4 bedtime.  maybe i should become a trucker hell those guys are on the road a lot, i’m sure i’d have lots of time to listen then.  lol

I listen on the bus to and from work and while I’m running.  I don’t really like to listen to music when I work out because of the change in beat between songs. Tends to mess up my pace! 

that is but one facet of the myriad of interests that distract me.

any one els dig the 7 sons in ther it was awsome

I enjoyed both of these.

My commute is anywhere from 45 mins to 1.5 hrs each way, depending on traffic.  So I can knock out a podiobook in pretty short order.

Avatar of Christopher P. Kearney

I am on page 136. I have had it less then 48 hours. So far so good.

The Irishman from Ohio

its by John Connolyi have no idea what it’s about.  i picked it up in  a thrift store because the cover looked interesting

iTouch & she’s pissed!  mwahahahaha!  

ddi u loke the 7 sons in heaven season 2

I did enjoy that little inter-play.  although i listened to that part before i had finished the last 7th son book so i got a little spoiler attack there

I wouldnt call it a ‘perk’ per se (perk? mommy bags?)  but I’m certainly not going to knock it.  In this economy, I’m happy to have a shitty commute.  Podiobooks make it bearable.

I was talking about the sci-fi space gear! Innocent

commuting sucks but as long as you have a way to make it bearable.  perk-e & mommy bags go together like pb&j, ham&cheese, wings&beer, etc. you see where i’m going with that.

(HM & UNRec Member)

when in actuallity a I should be working.

it will be our little secret. 

Read The Rise and Fall of Leon House in 4 days because "It was just so great!", when I called him a suck-up, he replied "no, seriously, it was THAT good!". I still think he’s emphasizing that. Of course he’s a very hard reader to please, and gave it a 8/10, so I guess it’s not all that bad. At one point he actually called it "an epic tale". 

Hopefully work will ease up and I will be able to get back to twitter and posting. Its been hit and miss for the last several weeks. I need to catch up on some crack consumption. And rest, but rest will come second to the above!

?? 

(HM & UNRec Member)

its about a paster turned punisher

and is now officially in the reading queue. You’ll have two readers here in the JP/Shadygirl household.

I know that name, it sounds familiar, just cant place it though….   :p

I think I’ve read that one before!  I read so much it’s hard to remember sometimes! 

Proud member of GirlCo!

Any references on either? 

Proud member of GirlCo!

Faithful Warrior.  It wasn’t bad but is seems all of his books have a common theme.  He doesn’t stray from it much.

Proud Member of GirlCo and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

I am loving everything about this thread right now. :-)

can’t… hold it…. much… longer… Sealed

Junkie Icon pic of a kid with Red hair.

now look at his Junkie name. ring a bell. please say yes. we don’t want Kevinesque to bust a gut. 

how can i get one

Under this link for the paperback

Its the book that inspired the Hit TV Series "Bones".  Good but very different from the show. 

i find the show to be somewhat amusing.

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

thanks for sharing the info. (with this post I AM at 10,500, w00t)

Forensic detective type books are always a little bit better than a 45 minute TV show because you can actually get the real science behind stuff. 

That being said, I’m a huge David Boreanaz.  Loved him since Buffy and then Angel (which is an awesome show and very often over shadowed by Buffy).

I think the book is less amusing than the show is. 

24 chapters, each one dedicated to the origin and history of a letter in the alphabet. Very facinating stuff.

**GirlCo + UNdead = Chicks you DO NOT want to mess with.**

i’m keeping a list of books from this thread.

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

it’s a really good book, lots of action, humor, and bad azz shoot up scene.  it didn’t end like i thought it would though.  (HM & UNdead Warlord)

by david wellington today.  it’s bk 2 of his vampire series. the 1st bk is 13 bullets

if you like vampires this guy has a knack for writing in gritty bloody detail. 

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

What kind of wood are you using? Do you have help? Is this a career or just a hobby? 

And Friend of MuchAdo!

but really it should probably be in the beginning.. as in… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz…

Oh, snap.

i’m using teak wood, no help, a hobby on the side.  i got a large order from some vampires that are going into a deep sleep for awhile

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

Apparently I was in the wrong section and picked up a copy of "Jack whacks off" 

And Friend of MuchAdo!

Jack Wakes Up has a much better story.

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

not  DVD in Cover Hard 

Make sure when you do, you wear and overcoat and sunglasses.  And if you could grow a creepy bushy mustach that would help in the process too.

Undead Champion, HM and Pusher 

for sure.

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

I’ve loved that for a while. I just started reading Chuck Palahniuk’s newest book, Pygmy. very interesting.

G-Man

"I used to be obsessed with a tv show about people acting like jackasses. I think it was called dumbass" – Earl Hickey

Things really pick up in book 2. Not sure when that’ll come out in print, but you should be able to just snag the podiobooks and continue the bad-assery!

i have to finish all of the FDO’s podcast/audiobooks b4 i listen to any other podcast/audiobooks.  

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

• Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  And now a pusher too!  UNdead Knight!  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!

Thats a long damn book!  Its good, but I had to take a break to finish some other stuff.  Now back to the PBH and trippin’ on shrooms. 

Undead Champion, HM and Pusher …. Start Cracking with Crack!

If this is the one by Bill DeSmedt, I loved it. I’m anxious for the next one.

I love it!  I’m not quite done yet, but I really how he is weaving together the Tunguska Expedition and the Antipod story lines. 

Any book that hinges on the main characters doing shrooms is good with me!

sponge bob [] pants!   it was crazy funny.

(HM & UNdead Warlord)

The intro to the story is phenomenal. After that, I just had to listen. I hope Bill finds another publisher soon. I want the next one to come out.

I’ve been listening before bed, but I’ve been so damn tired lately I’ve been falling asleep!!  But I agree, its very good and I would like to hear more. 

I’ve been listening before bed, but I’ve been so damn tired lately I’ve been falling asleep!!  But I agree, its very good and I would like to hear more. 

handled the time travel at the end. You’ll see what I’m talking about soon!

Book 5 in the Well World Saga. By: Jack L. Chalker

I really enjoy his writing and he has more than one multiple book series so check out anything from

him.

If your going more for the "You Sick Fuck" type stuff, which of course you are(why else would you

be here?), then check out Lee Child and his Jack Reacher novels

About 100 pages in. It’s the guy talking about Yonkers. Brilliant book. Love the format it’s in too. It should be compulsory reading for UFS members, before you’re turned

tis like nothing else I’ve read and for that reason it’s makes it all the more terrifying. I thought that the new reporting format might get a bit samey half-way through but the storys just kept getting better.

Think I need to buy/build myself a Lobos!

MEH-TALLLLLLLL!!!

the third book in the Dawning of Power series.  It really is good!Proud Member of GirlCo and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

~~There are many types of heros, I am one who just happens to eat brains~~

Listen to Dr Jacks Soapbox Seminars. It will blow your mind. It covers all the theorys on Tunguska and the basis for the vurdalak conjuncture. Brother JP turned me on to it and it is awesome.

UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler. Pusher twice over.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

half way through, it’s the 3rd book of the Monster Trilogy.  

(HM & UNdead Warlord) 

but the library has is checked out, so i’m waiting.  a nice junkie told me about the all star cast of actors that are on the audio book.  you should check that out as well.

(HM & UNdead Warlord) 

[flickr-photo:id=3725861718,size=m]

it’s definitely not your regular zombie story, that’s for sure.  however, i like his Vampire series better.

(HM & UNdead Warlord) 

Glad you got it to work Lil’ Brother

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

thaks agien big bro

I just found a paperback version in a Chapters shop, by sheer chance. I’d heard people here saying it was pretty good so i thought i’d check it out. Glad i did now!!

i’m still working on mine 

(HM) 

[flickr-photo:id=3728784016,size=s] 

of course setting up this way it looks like one signature and not two.

and the other one is my sig. i wanted it to be more rectangular but i’m still new to the process of badges.

(HM) 

[flickr-photo:id=3728784016,size=s] 

I had been stacking mine on top of each other. then tried leaving them on one line and turned out like this. Woohoo

there i go again thing i’m special…lol  

(HM) 

[flickr-photo:id=3728784016,size=s] [flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

then they will look like they are a continuous pic. I didn’t notice there was a space between them. that is if you want to.

with it and see how it looks.  thanks for the tip.

HM-THE ROOKIE

[flickr-photo:id=3728784016,size=s] [flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

About American soldiers in WWI.  It’s a good read. 

"An armed society is a polite society.  Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

~Robert A. Heinlein

Nice. I’ll check that out now.

…by Barlow.  Was very good.  Modern day werewolves.  Written entirely in verse though, so that may or may not turn some off.

Just purchased Patient Zero by Maberry.  Have read nothing by him, but story is about terrorists creating a biological weapon that causes people to become zombies.  Sounded interesting, but was on bargain rack.

Had not seen it, but now I’ll have to look for it.  Thanks for the info.

nice…now i am actually excited to read it.  thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  4.5 of 5 from the FDO makes me think I’m in for a treat

About to start the Zombie Survival Guide, also by Max Brooks. Finished WWZ a while back and want to expand my zombie horizons!

Ran into a friend of mine I haven’t seen in months and she wanted to go see the ‘New Moon’ movie when it comes out in the cinema.  Having told her that I haven’t even seen the first movie, Twilight, or read any of the books, she insisted I watch/read Twilight. 

To preserve the friendship, I picked up a Kindle version of Twilight — thank God for Kindle versions as there is no cover for me to try to hide from the world while I read the book.  Now, I’ve heard a lot of reviews both positive and negative about this series so I figured I would read the first book and then make my own conclusions. 

I finished it in about 6 hours (without taxing my Kindle integrated dictionary at all) and my conclusion? ….

I now, unequivocally understand the meaning of "cock-tease".  This book is the female version. Ugh.  What drove the nail in the proverbial coffin for me was the post script, which indicated that Twilight was based loosely on ‘Pride & Prejudice’ by Jane Austen.  Having just finished reading that book, ‘Twilight’ doesn’t hold a candle to it.  Was it not in service to a friend, I would have been content to live my whole life never having touched this book.

by Clive Barker.  Its like a memoir written by a demon.  I thought it was interesting because its one of those books made to look old and beat up, and the first words in the thing are "BURN THIS BOOK".  Its interesting so far, but i just started it.

“Anathem” by Neal Stephenson, and “The Electric Kool-aid Acid Test” by Tom Wolfe.

MC; CA; UNdead Jester and Love Slave of the UNdead Grave Mother

By Richard Dawkins. Not fiction but definately worth reading. Darwinism at a genetic level. Picked this up as it was one of the only books my local book store had on the recommended Reading list for my biology course and absolutely loving it so far. Not recommended for people who have a hard time coping with their place or purpose in the universe though.

I knew I was doomed reding it, as I am a huge Blade fan, but I thought it would be best to form my own opinions.  And while Twilight is out of the way, I started ‘New Moon’ because that was really the book I needed to read in order to see the movie when it comes out.  So, a little more pain to go.

Loved his early work – Weaveworld and Books of Blood. But then after Hellraiser went all Hollywood! When I see his books I read the dust cover and they all seem the same – rich american family/movie star blah blah…if that’s changed let me know

2p’s worth…

KISS

[flickr-photo:id=3906961376,size=s] KISS

the book was good, but now i am listening to the full cast audiobook and it really makes the experience better

I loved his Baroque Cycle trilogy. Not scifi, but a wonderful read. And "Cryptonomicon" all about the code builders and breakers in WWII.

Otherwise, pick up some of Christopher Moore’s books or WWZ by Max Brooks (Zombies).

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs! Got my signed copy of "The Rookie"

And it was definitely as you described. I even started on the second book, but the writing was soooo bad that I put it down and have never had a second thought about picking it back up.

It’s hard to make myself stop reading it (cause apparently my brain requires sleep to even remotely function at all)

• Proud Member of GirlCo, Evil Incarnate, and Pastry Princess

Just finished the second book.  Writing was just as bad but at least there was a bit more action in it.

Now I just have to see the movie vesions with my friend and my obligation will be fulfilled!

I read the first b/c DD 15 was reading the books, but even she decided they were tripe.

For a friend you read 2 books AND have to go see the movie? Wow. I hope she appreciates you. 

zombie survivalist journal style novel…bout half way done and very entertained.  quick read as i expect to complete tonight.  author is j.l. bourne

While there is no kidney donation involved, I must admit that there is a bit of guilt that is behind my motivation. 

A few years back I gave her a series of books (a trilogy actually) that had a pretty devastating and shocking ending that wasn’t exactly happy, but I thought it was a brilliant example of non traditional story lines where everything isn’t always conveniently tied up.  After she finished the series she called me to talk about it and she was bawling.  So, many years later, I am doing my penance by reading the Twilight series so we can discuss it together.

BTW, just finished Eclipse, the third in the series.  Not much better than the first two.  *sigh*

But you should have a completely guilt-free state after this punishment.

VAmpires that sparkle! P’shaw 

Go Steelers! Go Dawgs!

He’s rapidly becoming one of my favourite sci-fi authors. Stumbled across this Easter egg last night [flickr-photo:id=4197198512,size=m] and it made me grin like a Chesire cat

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Monster by A. Lee Martinez

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

(with one d) sighting!!!!  Woot!  Welcome back.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

It’s been an uphill battle. It will probably be a little while yet until y’all see me Tweeting again.

Should be able to help Scooter establish a firmer grip upon the civilian population in January/February. We have plans. Muahahahaha!

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Unless of course, someone hacked into your account, stole your identify and is just posting here to cover your disappearance. Oh, and sorry about the extra "d" – can’t spell worth a damn.

Still not completely convinced….

<insert witty comment here>

Get rested, I’ll be looking forward to yakking with you. Well maybe yakking’s not appropriate in this case, talking with you. :)

[flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]

KISS’d by Sigler Honored recipient of the "Iron Man" Award. Pusher twice over. UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

I’m sure you’ll be sick of me right quick once we get rollin’ in January ;)

Although Scooter could be just killin’ some time leading an alternate life as me or some such nonsense. Yeah, right. Like he doesn’t have enough to deal with.

And you’re certainly not the first one to use double D’s in Sadock. Mildly annoying, but certainly not worth getting butt hurt over. No worries here. 

See you passed me up again. Fucker.

Was pretty surprised to hear about the yakking that occured at HallowEvoCon. Definitely loads of merry folk there, but no one seemed incoherent to the pea soup Exorcist point. 

Fragment by Warren Fahy

pretty good.  great visual details, has a Jurassic Park sort of feel.  loved it until the ending…when there were 20 pages left i wondered how he could wrap up so much.  simple answer was rushed, but it still worked.

welcome back  :-)

by Dennis Potter.

Smack dab in the middle of this book and I can’t tell if I like it or hate it…but either way, it’s intriguing enough for me to continue. It has a lot of existential undertones which can be dangerous.  It either means the book will be off the wall and brilliant or off the wall and completely messed up (in a pretentious way). Jury’s still out.

it’s a new release by some hot-shot author hipster named "J.T. Manis" and is the sequel to his other book, The Rise and Fall of Leon House, which I also loved.

Smile

can’t speak for the book but that’s a great boardgame

Fantastic book.  It’s a mob book without really being a mob book.

the trick to staying sane is to just out-crazy the world

by Francine Prose. Really good book about this kid losing his dad in 9/11 and going to a new school where he is bullied and he gets revenge and something goes wrong.

G-Man

"I used to be obsessed with a tv show about people acting like jackasses. I think it was called dumbass" – Earl Hickey

The good:

• Love the bonus material, especially the interview with Quentin by the Krakens Insider. Brilliant homage to Conan the Barbarian, Scott!
    • ’twas truly awesome to see my name as part of the team roster
    • I’m chuckling ever time I see the word "shucker." Looking forward to more Galactizations.

The bad:

• I loathe reading hardcovers. I’m a total mass market paperback snob. The only reason I buy Scotts HCs is because that’s his preferred method of payment. He provides me with high quality audio fiction and I’m a stong believer in value for value. 
    • The copy editing is already irritating me and I just finished chapter 1. Cest la vie. I knew it was going to be bad after I heard the Dead Robot’s Society interview.
    • Scott decided that races should be capitalized. Every time I see Humans it’s driving me nuts. Le sigh.

got around to reading (and finishing) “The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test” by Tom Wolf. Now I’m on to “Hells Angels” by Hunter S. Thompson. (I must be going through a phase.)

Well, to be honest, anything by Harry Crews is good reading.

775 pages, set in 1865 London. May take me a while. Something to do while I wait for The Starter!

M. Night Shot-his-wad

…but phasers are better!!

I’ll see if I can find them somewhere and read them. I have absolutely nothing to read right now. >_> It sucks.

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Haha, I laughed every time I read that, too. And race capitalization got to me too, but I eventually got used to it and more into the story. It’s weird how hooked you can get even when you already know the story. :P

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

By Richard Dawkins … interesting but kinda makes you feel that everything you do is a futile waste of time unless it’s making babies.

definitely recommend though 

From the point of view of the gene nothing else matters.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

That sounds interesting. I’ll have to find some way to get ahold of it in Socorro, where there’s only the college library filled with non-fiction.

It’s about how every decision that you make is really the convoluted biproduct of millions of years of self favouring genes.  Even apparent acts of altruism are selfish at a genetic level in order to best preserve specific sections of DNA/genomes. Currently finding it fascinating but not exactly a book designed to shut the brain off at night before sleep.

Yeah, definitely doesn’t sound like one to read before sleeping, but it does definitely sound interesting. I shall have to give it a try.

It was a random buy at barnes and noble and I couldn’t put it down.

I have been an a big Palahniuk as of late. Choke and Fight club last month and Rant is on the shelf waiting. I’m about half way through monsters and it is rather entertaining. Former model having her jaw shot off and working with gay ex-boyfriend and another to rob houses for sale of drugs. That’s what I have gathered so far. But if your looking for an awesome read check out "House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski, it is amazing. One of my all time favorites.

You and Shadygirl will have to “set me to stun.” If you don’t, then I’ll be stuck in this, shall we say “phase”, until I spiral downward toward immaturity. Then someone like Steve Ely will have to say about me what he said about J.C. Hutchinsss: something to the effect of, “without this outlet, he would release his inner bat shit on us all.” (I don’t want that to happen.)

That book was jacked up.

I half expected it to tell me to turn the TV to channel 54 and I’d see something connected to the big at one point.

That being said, it was a fantastic experience; a rare book that’s more than just a read.

And you can’t go wrong with Palahniuk…except for Haunted.  That book just didn’t do it for me.  The shorty stories from the characters were great, but the story itself seemed lacking.

Survivor is a great read as well.

i literally just finished Rant days ago.  Not too long before that I put Pygmy down.  Rant was surprisingly enjoyable, and the style of oral biography or whatever they refer to it as worked in keeping the story moving and the attention there.  it also left room for some unseen twists and turns.  i’d recommend, especially if you’re a fan of Palahniuk.  his best to dat that I read would probably be Survivor though…so check that out if you haven’t yet.

The short stories were great. The framing story and the hate-able characters didn’t work. If I read it again, I’ll just do the shorts.

M. Night Shot-his-wad

…..can generally argue and/or rationalize a particular point of view with linguistics and semantics. That’s called philosophy. In science we refer to it as a hypothesis. 

What kind of hard evidence does he offer? It all boils down to show don’t tell.

Having no quantitative measurements to prove his theories until gene mapping/records cover many many more generations and patterns of change in particular genomes can be shown to correlate behavioural tendencies then it’s all just supposition. What he does do though is show inconsistencies in other hypothesis for evolution, the properties of certain phenotypes or apparently self destructive (if unintentionally so and in a convoluted way) altruistic behaviours.  I guess what he offers in the way of theories will wait until someone else can pick some holes in them (like as not they already have). I’ll leave that for someone slightly less pickled in red wine and drastically more intelligent.  until then I’ll accept it as gospel and burn anyone who comes up with conflicting ideas as a witch! Wink

I’m going to read Rant right after I finish my copy of The Rookie. Glad to know its something to look forward to though.

There are a bunch of messages that need to be decoded in House of Leaves. You are correct, it is way more than just a read.

after reading your copy of The Rookie

Will definitely look that one up

I finished reading that book like two weeks ago. It was so bad.  I read it in 9 hours I swear James Patterson almost made me cry. Or maybe it was the lady that wrote the book with him but either way, I felt like I watsed 9 hours on that book when I could have read ‘Salem’s Lot again or something.

So if she weighs the same as a duck, then she is therefore made of wood.

Seriously, nothing. But I always like to pimp Jurassic Park and The Lost World! Crichton rocks. I was so sad when he died. I’m wondering, though – has anybody read Pirate Latitudes? If I can find it again, I’d like to buy it. I’m dying for things to read at my college. >_> Having no library sucks.

….. I got better though.

How long before MTV run with that as a tv show?

“we took your old sorry ass extinct skeletal fossil of a dino, gave it a fresh new pAint job and racing stripes. Then we mounted a 50′ plasma on it’s dorsal fin, shoved a sub woofer up it’s kaiser pass and mounted that bitch on 22 inch gold and QZ encrusted rims! Watch your evolutionists hommies turn green with envy….Sick!”
    I can see it now

I got ‘Under the Dome’ at Xmas – settling down now to begin…

until I can buy my HD of ‘The Rookie’

while at the hospital yesterday i started this one up. think i recall people mentioning it here previously. so far very good. totally hooked into it

…that you also pick up the audiobook. They cut some of the interviews out but the story still feels complete, plus the all-star cast does an amazing job of voice acting. Alan Alda, Carl Riener, Henry Rollins, John tuturro, and Mark freaking Hamill, just to name a few. I seriously can’t recommend it enough, it is how audiobooks should be done.

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

thanks for the tip. i’ll have to check that out once i’m done

Warhead by Andy Remic, I’ve been reading this book for way too long… not that it’s a bad book but it seems that every time I pick it up to read I get interrupted by something.

All time favorite book of all time (at the moment) is ‘The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy’

I dare you to try and read the first 10 pages without having to finish it.

In the immortal words of Socrates “I Drank What?!”

I still need to read that one, but none of my friends let me borrow it. >_> I’ll see if I can find the audiobook, too, if it has that much more stuff in it. Course, that’s difficult living in a town without a library anywhere nearby. Grr…

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

I’d watch it.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

…..got totally seduced by sexy Sookie Stackhouse and whipped through about the first third of From Dead to Worse. I’m not sure whether Charlaine Harris qualifies as quality literature or guilty pleasure, but it is definitely enthralling and highly entertaining.

So often nowadays I quote that, and people give me a blank stare.

85-90% positive I heard something about it.

It may be an exchange with others kind of thing. Didn’t follow up because I’m kind of snooty about my books. I buy everything I read, even being in the po’ folks income bracket.

BooksFree.com

Pusher & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

…..but BooksFree.com sounds so awesome I may have to sign up. <goes to peruse the site>

Oh, wait. Looks like they have BOTH treeware & audiobooks. <goes back to look more at the site>

Pimp My Zombie. Or Pimp My Stripper Zombie. Or Pimp My Hooker. Or Pimp My Pimp! Now THAT would be a show to behold. What would people do…

I may just have to look into that. It SUCKS to have no library nearby.

So get going or else I may have to reevaluate your B3 status Tongue out

Sorry, I just can’t roll with MTV’s abominable grammar. My inner Nazi just won’t let me do it.

did finally finish the book last night, very good. odd to finish as there really is no major ending (being that the book is about the past you somewhat now the present, not that it is important). with that i was slightly dissapointed, but not enough to prevent me from checking out the podcast.

I guess I don’t. xD Not that I’m not excited. Books are awesome! I miss them. Cry

Okay, I’m currently not reading these cause I have them on preorder at amazon, but in the style of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the same publisher is coming out with Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter and Android Karenina *squee*

Amazon has no data. They don’t even call it that. They have it listed under Quirk Classics Volume 4 or some such.

is that the format of the book is not what you usually find in fiction. It’s basically a collection of interviews talking about a period of time rather than a single running narrative. It’s a format more suited to academic or journalistic pieces.

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

Sounds like an instant hit to me!

Abe Lincoln was totally a vampire hunter. I’m glad that’s finally being realized!

And more recently the newest book in the series and it is definitely a guilty pleasure! The books are just fun to read, and the stories are good. I am a snob about vampire books, but felt this series was worthy. Lol. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Proud member of GirlCo!

But my guess is…Androids + Anna Karenina (by Leo Tolstoy) = Awesomeness

of this later today. Sounds like it’ll be good!

I’ll send you my copy. I’m about 100 pages from the end and while I’m enjoying the hell out of it, I have a feeling I won’t revisit it any time soon and if I did, it would most likely be the audio version as I’ve heard great things.

Most of Sookie’s internal dialogue has been totally in character and hilarious as f**k!

Or is it still in production? It seems awfully short for such a long book

Careful ISB.

Those stalkers can be sneaky sometimes. Offering you innocous gifts via the mail as a means of acquiring your home address.

If athanas is a tweeter, you better watch out! Surprised It was you who said Twitter was the perfect stalker tool, right? Oh, wait. Just because A=B does not mean A=C. My bad Embarassed

Merely trying to help a fellow junkie.

You’re stock just went way up (from my “guy perspective”). For what it’s worth!

…..but you’re definitely correct. It can certainly be used that way. That’s actually the primary way I use it. Yet when I hear “social networking” I think Facebook/MySpace (ie Annoying as fu#k).

Things that make you go hmmmm.

true. most similar book i put down recently was Rant, but that one was structured a bit differently in terms of building to the climax of the story. same interview based style, or actually just more oral account (lacked the questions, not that they were intrusive in WWZ). i’ve got not problems with the style, just lacked a sense of fulfillment for me at the end. i want more, but i guess that’s where the audio files come in :-)

a good (semi-related) recommendation though is Day by Day Armageddon. zombie story but writen as if a diary of the main character. very very good with a sequel due this year.

Aww, thank you. I’ll probably end up “beating” one of my friends for it or stealing it from them. I have a feeling it will show up soon, I just have to make myself be a leetle bit social to find it. :P

Just finished the Rookie, really enjoyed it. Would have liked not to have change the word shuck for fuck.

I started reading the Sookie Stackhouse series, because I’m a huge fan of True Blood. I was surprised at how lighthearted the series is, and if you’ve ever watched True Blood you’ll understand why. I’m currently in the middle of Club Dead.

One of the reason’s I like Charlaine Harris’ writing style is that it she knows how to write different characters believably, much akin to our beloved FDO. In the book I’m reading now, Sookie got all embarassed in *her own head* and called her privates her “hootchie.” I doubt you’ve ever referred to your genitalia that way. I frakkin’ lost it laughing, but it was totally in character for her.

reinforced the stock increase. With confidence, Macho Combo Burrito Girl.

now I’m jonesin’ Del Taco.

I’m ready to start a new book, but I can’t decide between Stephen King’s Under the Dome or Hutchinsssss Personal Effects: Dark Arts. I’ll read them both of course, but which one to start first???

Pusher & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

I don’t really care for either Del Taco or McDonalds, but I’d eat at Mickey D’s much sooner than Del Taco.

Baskin Robbins strikes again. BooYaa!

Tossing around starting personal effects as well…but debating 7th son as well. As someone reading hutch for the first time, any suggestions on which to go with first?

I just picked up Stephen King’s Under the Dome today, and I am only 50 pages into it and I can’t put it down. Loved the Woodchuck and the other critters death’s. HA HA. Scott, did some of your humor come from King’s style of writing? Just wondering. Everyone have a great day.

richno3……OUT

That thing is like five pounds heavy. Actually that one of the hardest parts about reading that book. I ended up having to read it while it was resting on something cause it got to heavy to hold.

…….why I’m a mass market paperback snob. Books should not double as weights/weapons at the same time they entertain us.

…Under the Dome will be formidable!

negative. have not listened yet. am i to guess i should go with that one first then?

….and JC did a phenomenal job on the voice acting in that series.

I’ve never read a ‘casters print book prior to listening to their ‘cast.

If I were in your situation, I’d read Dark Arts and listen to 7th Son. Best of both worlds Cool

Hardcover Dome for busting windshields. Paperback for busting the heads within. Both will be useful as backup weapons when the plaid tanks roll… (I wonder if we might be able to get Uncle Stevie to become a junkie…)

I have read, and reread Scott’s books, I am currently reading “The Lost Symbol” By Dan Brown. I LOVE Jaqueline Carey’s Kushiel trilogy! F&*k ya! and of course Harry Potter……anything that gets the kidlets reading is good medicine! I’m a book whore so the kindle was a solid investment. Planning to buy the FDO’s stuff on it next month! WHOOOO!!!

I threw a book across the room not too long ago….I just couldn’t get into it! I can’t even remember the title it was so bad….ahh well, I guess we can’t love them all! I keep coming back to the Kusheil trilogy because it has a lot of good, solid, writing…also the story has BDSM in it, but really well written and not like WAY over the top. It’s a fantasy so fun to read, much detail.

My brother threw a book I gave him across the room because it aggravated him so badly.

I become absolutely engrossed in novels that I like, but if you don’t immerse yourself in a particular novel because it is lacking, where does the passionate anger come from? It befuddles me Undecided

……many things, but I’ve never seen/heard it used for book before. That’s awesome. I’m a total book whore as well.

I’m still pondering the Kindle since I’m a mass market paperback snob. I haven’t decided whether I would be able to adjust to the alternate format or not.

Shields has four little known books that were put out by Henry Rollins’ 2.13.61 publication.
    They’re the writings of a man who has been tormented every day of his life since he returned from the Vietnam War. His books are very hard to read but impossible to put down.

I forgot how much I *love* the Harry Dresden series.

A life empty of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

with the help of Google, I’ve found that Mr. Shield is nothing more than a crackpot; never was a navy SEAL and most likely was never in Vietnam. Kinda throws you for a mindfuck when you find out someone who’s writing you enjoy turns out to be a complete fraud (Sig, for the love of FSM, please don’t yern to write kid’s novels under your genital severing outer layer).

I just ordered a backissue of a ‘zine from 2004 that has an article detailing the whole ordeal.

Suddenly, I’m not so excited about the signed copy of his first book I’ve got.

just picked this up by Z.A. Recht. first time with him and when researching online looks like he actually passed away recently at the age of 26. anyone with experience of this or others of his works?

do it first

Are you feeling all right?

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

fantastic writing style, but the subject matter is intense, especially since it’s loosly based off a true story.

If nothing else, I’ve been turned on to a new auther and will see what else Mr. Ketchum has out there.

Nothing currently, but I’ve just discovered that there is a library near where I live. It’s just hidden. I’m so excited to see it, though. Anything in particular I should look for?

I have yet to find a novel by him that I didn’t like. Most of them I love. The worst one so far has been Flash Forward.

Let’s see, right now I’m reading:

The Wordy Shipmates, by Sarah Vowell. Having a hard time enjoying this one; really enjoyed her other books.

Personal Effects: Dark Art by JC Hutchins. So far, so good!

Just finished Monster Island and 7th Son.

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

Wicked. It’s pretty good so far, but not what I expected. Also, Full Frontal Feminism and Female Chauvinist Pigs. Very excellent the both of them.

Personal Effects: Dark Art. I’m about 1/2 way thru it.

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

or has anyone read Under the Dome by Stephen King??? It’s a ginormous undertaking to be sure, but aside from that, I’ve never wanted to see so many characters in a story die a horrible and painful death!!!!! I guess that’s a sign of great writing… to make the reader have such strong feelings for your characters, whether they be good or bad.

I’m currently without a novel at the moment but the lost fleet series by Jack Campbell is a 6 book series that is utterly fantastic. Most realistic space battles ever depicted in print IMHO.

Since I don’t usually like Stephen King’s books. Is it any good? Besides hating the characters. :P

but I just want to get to the end already so I can see who gets it and how!!!

And I am always glad its just my daughter and I here when I start yelling at my books!

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

You should give Rose Madder a try if you’ve never read it. It’s not typical Stephen King in my opinion and its one of my favorite King novels. It’s always the only one I’ve mentioned to many “die-hard King fans” only to find out they’ve never heard of it! Creepy book with a cool idea. I really love it!

by Robert R McCammon. Huge book but I’ve read it so many times I’ve almost got it memorized! I find it thrilling and exciting and parts of it still gives me thrills and chills (even though I know full well what’s about to happen!).

This is one book I would love to see as a movie, I see books very clearly in my head as I read already, but there’s no way it wouldn’t get royally screwed if turned into a screenplay. I keep hoping to find it in audio though!

Well that’s understandable.

But I wouldn’t mind giving it a try. :) Scary that die-hard King fans have never heard of it. That’s odd. o.O

Yeah, I tried one or two of his longer books and wasn’t really that impressed, but I love done of the short story books I read by him.

A book has never actually made me scream, but I wish they would!

I bought it to support JC, but that gimmicky nonsense with all the shit inside the front cover annoyed the piss out of me.

I’m nowhere near normal (and I don’t watch television) so I yell at books and podcasts! Laughing

but I’ve never read it. Oddly enough, it was just brought to my attention yesterday that I’ve also never read his book “On Writing”, but I’ve been assured that I’ll be getting it for my birthday. Wink I’ve read pretty much everything else by King though.

I just read the Wiki entry on Rose Madder and I’m surprised it hasn’t caught my attention before. The Dark Tower series is one of my favorites and I thought I’d read pretty much everything else that ties into the series, but somehow I’ve missed this one. I’ll have to put it on my list!

My favorite King book is Eyes of the Dragon and it’s really like nothing else he’s written.

Crap! Now I want to go and read that again!! Tongue out

by Thomas Cahill.

**All this plan is missing is a giant freaking laser in space.”**

The “gimmicky nonsense” is one of the reasons I bought it. It’s kind of cool to be able to look at items in the book as they are being described or talked about, but so far I don’t think they’re necessary to the story.

I was hesitant, but I started listening to the 7th son podcasts. Now He’s no Sigler, but I have to give the baby-faced man credit, His podcast is pretty good.

I was hoping he’d ‘cast Personal Effects, but he said he wasn’t going to when I first asked him. Then he changed his mind.

It’s worth reading, but you’ll have to let me know if you feel the same way about some of the characters as I do.

Do you mean he *did* cast it? I saw that he cast the prequel, Personal Effects: Sword of Blood, but I didn’t see one for Dark Arts. Actually, the last two ‘casts of SoB are Dark Art, and that’s all I’ve “read” so far, but I’m diving into it again tonight.

LOVED 7th son. Felt guilty about reading the dreaded Hutchinsssssss but damn, that guy can tell a story.

Then I listened to the Sword of Blood podcast and decided that would be my next book to buy. After The Starter on April 1st, of course!

Your comment makes me not really want to. Is it still enjoyable without all the extra bells and whistles. I tend to follow the KISS philosophy when it comes to books. Going the same route as comics and trading cards is just silly IMHO.

Swan Song. I love all apocalyptic books. Have you read The Stand? Swan Song and THe Stand are very similar.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

is definitely on my list of MUST READ books, but I haven’t yet.

See if I can find that in audio. Speaking of King… What did you think of Cell? And Gerald’s Game?

Finally into Personal Effects: Dark Art by JC Hutchinsss, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson. (Recently finished Hells Angels by Hunter S. Thompson. Fear and Loathing just HAD to follow…)

Either way, I’d like to know what you think (and if you think the book is still enjoyable w/o all the annoying bells and whistles).

the bonus nonsense, making it a bit of a slower read than usual for me. I’m not studying every page, but I’m trying to pay attention more than a casual read. Will definitely let you know what I see…

but have yet to read it. Mainly I just wanted to support The Hutchinsss for the free awesomeness that was the 7th Son trilogy. Yeah he may be a dirty bastard, but that boy has talent!

but the latest edition of Popular Science is pretty darn good. I also read Scientific American, Discover, Popular Mechanics, and Science Illustrated, ’cause I’m an uber-nerd like that (and damn proud of it).

loved fear and loathing. just thinking about it i have an urge to find my copy and give it a go again.

So my crush on Mr Darcy has eaned enough for me to start Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I’m about a quarter of the way through it and so far so good. Can’t wait to see how they wrap it all up. Had to stat this book because I just receied the prequel Dawn of the Dreadfuls in the mail. Deperately behind on my reading pile.

got roped into reading these and they are addictive. kind of younger reading, but entertaining nontheless. i hear they are the harry potter of vampire books, although i care not for harry or vamps. they are enjoyable though, and the progression with each book (just about done with 4 of the 12) is nice.

Got so far behind on my podcasts that I haven’t listened to any story casts in a month or two. Happened to me with MaAH too. I was totally grooving on P&P&Z before life/illness overwhelmed me. The woman they got to read it does an excellent job.

….but wanted to give Hutch some scratch for the awesomeness of 7th Son.

…up to the very end. Gerald’s Game, not so much. A few notable exceptions aside, I generally prefer the scarier side of King like The Mist, The Langoliers, Pet Sematary & Salem’s Lot to name a few.

The Cell was an interesting story overall. Kind of a scooby doo wrap-up ending. Gerald’s Game just pissed me off. I think he could have done way more with the spook factor. And color me insensitive, but all her whiny poor me about all that when she was a kid… Well, it was overkill to say the least.

When I read I’m way to wrapped up in the books to remember how to scream. :P

I was so excited when they made the movie. xD

by Douglas Adams. Listening to Mike Bennet this past week has got me in the mood for British humour. I love this book!!

“You know, it’s at times like this, when I’m trapped in a Vogon airlock with a man from Betelgeuse, and about to die from asphyxiation in deep space that I really wish I’d listened to what my mother told me when I was young.”

initially thought it was a spoof of the growing vampire popularity. was pleasantly surprised through. having read as deep as i have though they definitely strayed quite a bit on certain parts. i’m curious if everything from the movie will work its way (one way or another) into the book. and really, if so, wondering when. for example (not to give anything away), but four books deep and the end from the movie is no where in site? we will see.

JK, I don’t have time to eat cereal.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

But what movie doesn’t differ quite a bit from the book it’s based on? Not many that I can recall. I thought they handled it pretty well, though. I usually hate movies based of books that I’ve read, but I actually enjoyed the movie. Might be because I haven’t read the books in so long, though… :P Yeah, somehow I doubt they’ll do thirteen movies to go with the thirteen books. Maybe if Cirque du Freak ever became as popular as HP did, but yeah. It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

that can at least come through with a sequel. casting was pretty perfect (albeit older than book would leave one to believe). i’d love to see at least one more to get a better conclusion. they certainly left it open enough for it

“The Princes of Ireland” by Edward Rutherfurd (historical fiction). I enjoyed it — finally “got” why the Irish and English have been fighting all these centuries.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

I like the Lee Child books (character Jack Reacher) and just finished “One Shot” a good addition to the series. Kind of went a little off into fantasy when it came to the police procedural part, I think.

And “Alone” by Lisa Gardner. It kept me guessing, which is good. I lost the book 50 pages fro mthe end and tore the house apart to find it.

It was a bit older but I really enjoyed the actors they got for the parts. Two would be nice, I’m hoping they at least draw it out for three (as long as they keep doing it like they did the first one). However they do it I’ll most likely stay happy – as long as they don’t mess it up like the Unfortunate Series movie. >_> That was terrible.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (Hunter S. Thompson), and am still working through Personal Effects: Dark Art (JC Hutchinsssssss). Next in the queue: Childhood’s End (Arthur C. Clarke). I haven’t read that once since I was in High Screwel.

The Steph Swainson books: The year of our war and No Present Like Time.

Am a big fantasy fiction fan and found these a refreshing if a little dark take on the oft-times predictable genre

I loved this book! Big SK fan anyway. And I agree – there were several characters in that story I couldn’t wait to see DIE!

But now I find myself calling my best friend Barrrrrbieeeee. She hates it. lol

BTW – I had just finished Under the Dome when I discovered Infected, and became hooked. Laughing

but you-know-who hasn’t yet and I can’t wait for him to get what’s coming to him!!!!!!!!!!! And it better be SLOW and PAINFUL!!!!!!

the original Sherlock Holmes novels/short stories…I saw the movie and it made me want to read the original. They’re pretty dense but they make for good reading. If there was more violence, Doyle could totally have been the pre-20th century FDO.

It’s a pretty ecclectic short story collection, but I’m really enjoying it. I’m quite surprised at how many people don’t know how prolific he is. All they know is his Song of Ice & Fire series.

Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent Victim of GirlCo [flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s]

I would have though it would have been included in his RRetrsopective http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamsongs:_A_RRetrospective

Lots of enjoyable stories in that one!

Great book, about half way through it now.

Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum

Jayguana

I just started “Searching for the Sound” by Phil Lesh. A buddy lent this to me many months ago and I’ve been negligent.

So I finally finished this book after several weeks of limited reading time and my review….not worth the read.

I was highly anticipating this book, so much so that I forced myself to read the original text of Pride & Prejudice so that I would have a foundation for this book. I unexpectedly ended up loving the original text so when it came time to read this book I actually put it off. Finally, once my crush on Mr Darcy wanned, I picked up this book hoping for a good ZomRom (zombie-romance).

Unfortunately, this book was 95% original text with just a thread of zombie changes written into the story. Once or twice there were amusing moments, like zombies mistaking heads of cauliflower for brains, but on the whole, the zombie thread was so infrequent it was disjointed. For as long a book as this is, I wouldn’t waste your time or effort.

Too bad…the concept had some great potential but the execution was rubbish. Hopefully the prequel Dawn of the Dreadfuls is better but the lack of quality in P&P&Z is making me doubtful for both the prequel and Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter, which is by the same author.

This is one of the books recommended in Cross Pollination thread.

About a third of the way through it and Im really getting into it. Its moving along quickly and has some interesting tech in it. It also helps that one of the main characters last names is Sigler!!!

I was going to buy a couple of the other paperbacks they have listed but they only come in the over sized paperback form and there for cost $15 each. The price bothers me because a regular sized paperback still sells for $8 or $9 dollars and is the exact same