This topic contains 68 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shawn Laing Shawn Laing 5 years, 8 months ago.

Watchmen!!!

• Profile photo of Shawn Laing

You don’t understand. I’M not locked in here with YOU. YOU’RE locked in here with ME. – Rorschach

I’m your pusher (as of 03/11/09).

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

stupid people bringing children to this movie. although I did see the Exorcist when I was 10 YO on the big screen.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (5000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of Shawn Laing

You don’t understand. I’M not locked in here with YOU. YOU’RE locked in here with ME. – Rorschach

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

they were fine with dr. manhatten.

G-Man

Petroleum jelly is not the kind for a sandwich

P.S. my captcha is (13 Wiggin. Just read ender’s shadow

do they not watch movies with sex scenes in them?

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (5000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

I was the youngest of 6 in the theater. There was a mother and son, I think, where the son was about 20 or so. When the sex scene happened they were high-tailing out of there.

G-Man

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

I thought you would find this interesting…

http://conservativegrapevine.com/entries.php?id=14994

Yes, I’m a hick, whats your point?

Western Carolina Lady Catamounts beat the College of Charleston Lady Cougars 101-87 in a record 3 overtimes

WCU LADY CATAMOUNTS ARE 2009 SOCON CHAMPIONS! Next stop, March Madness!!!!!

just enough in the background. I like ‘the sound of silence’ simon and garfunkel that fit well

we went to a late showing. well 7pm. no kids. 

seeing this film in anything but IMAX, you are just missing out.

I don’t normally care how I see a movie. but this one. DEWD must be done in IMAX.

the fight scenes and the breaking of bones and such, cool. the sound guys did an incredible job of delivering. OK, I gotta come down from the movie so I will edit this later. let me Grok a little more of this film. 

Stunning. Brilliant. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie, which was spectacular in IMAX. I think they did a great job all around. The music was used to good effect as well (Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears as Muzak was a nice touch). 

In an amazing twist, nobody brought young kids to the showing this afternoon. 

it was really good. I need to read the graphic novel soon

G-Man

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (4000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of jolenna cullum

TX you aren’t going to lunch or dinner… you’re "fixin to" go to lunch  

Profile photo of Wolf

Sorry ’bout that.                      

"Official Mascot of GirlCo"

Profile photo of Pons Matal

Started working for Shell back in ’92 I moved to Kentucky. I had to switch over to saying lunch also. Now Its a toss up now that I’m back in Oklahoma.

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

I have switched over and say lunch but I do have three meals. it confuses people.

Breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (4000 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

east of Oklahoma. Now thats a hoot! Its not often you hear anyone say that. One other thing is, when you go to lunch in Oklahoma, you dont say lets got to lunch, its "lets go to dinner" (if your a die hard Okies that is)

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

its just the comic in "motion".

are in Missoura (i know, had to spell it like i say it.)

Profile photo of Gmork

..is being released separately on DVD.  Click here to see it on Amazon, it’s titled the same as it was in the graphic novel: Tales of the Black Freighter.

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

about Dr. Manahttan. but no complaints from the girls when the x-men chick was naked throughtout the movie. makes you think

Profile photo of James Keeling

I glanced through it again after the movie to look for the wang, but must have missed that one…  good on ya.  Of course, I think the Doc in the movie was more… well… well… endowed…

hhhmmm…  SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special?  Ain’t I just)  Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient!  Double Dipper and Triple Threat!  All-around uberjunkie!

Profile photo of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

As a long time fan of the original graphic novel, I had both high expectations and a sense of dread for this movie. "Watchmen" has often been called (and still is called) an unfilmable vision, and while the movie is very well executed, this is still true in many ways. One, there are far too many subplots and details to add in a feature length movie, and even so, Watchmen goes beyond feature length, to many viewers’ annoyance. Two, the times were and still are "A’Changin’". Watchmen was a powerful political and cultural statement at the time of it’s release, and many new viewers won’t pick up on some of the more dated references and imagery.

To his credit, Zack Snyder proved to by worth his salt as a director with Watchmen. The challenge was very similar to the one that Peter Jackson faced with directing the Lord Of The Rings: he had to please the fans and the movie going audience. The fans wanted a perfect transition from graphic novel to the silver screen, and the masses wanted a good superhero movie (and there have been some horrible ones – Ang Lee’s Hulk, FF, Spidy 3, etc…). Considering the level that Watchmen was at in terms of story and visuals before it’s filming, pleasing the masses was not a problem. The fans were another story. In the end, Zack gave us what most of us were expecting: a decent retelling of a classic. There are enough references for hardcore fans to get (This Island Earth, Dollar Bill’s death) and some new surprises (Andy Warhol’s Nite Owl print – hilarious!).

I can’t really say much more past this point with out becoming too longwinded and/or giving away MASSIVE spoilers, so I will say this. If you worship the original Watchmen graphic novel as a true classic (which it is), you may be disappointed. If you read Watchmen and loved it, and it’s on your bookshelf, you will enjoy the movie. If you just saw the trailer and think that this looks like it just might be worth seeing, then go for it.

And if you’re a parent and want to treat your kids to a Saturday matinee, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE RATING!!! This movie has exploding bodies, brutal violence, soft-core sex, entirely too much blue dick, and Rorschach.

‘Nuff said.

—–

"Get sacrificed! I don’t subscribe to your religion!" – Ringo

Profile photo of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

http://21.media.tumblr.com/VzQFm78pXk3tejajodZ6NdJAo1_500.jpg

—–

"Get sacrificed! I don’t subscribe to your religion!" – Ringo

They did a good job of not making a big deal about it, but the wang was never shown in the graphic novel.  Wonder why they chose to include it? 

hhhmmm…  SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special?  Ain’t I just)  Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient!  Double Dipper and Triple Threat!  All-around uberjunkie!

I agree onthe sex scene.

Really enjoyed it.  Rorsach was portrayed most exellently…

I was surprised they stayed so true to the graphic novel.

Missed the interplay between the kid and the newstand vendor and the comic in a comic thing… 

Little puddles of marshmallow sauce??  ;p 

Amongst other things! ;)  

A "Hoot" I AM? You sound like you’d make a fine Okie.  :)

Profile photo of Gmork

*Clean up in aisle 3*

someone is going to lose an eye.

Profile photo of Wolf

that sticky stuff on the floor ain’t old chewing gum and candy? 

"Official Mascot of GirlCo"

Profile photo of Mark Wheeler

The 5 minitue sex scenes (and while they may not seem like alot in words) were a bit much and a tad out of place as far as of the rest of the movie is concerened. i mean i know it was in the book and all but the scenes themselves did take a little too long. Not to mention the lack of a set up or or build up to it in the movie to save some time that actually just makes Silk Spectre kind of look like a whore. lol 

"When i say your dumb name step forward and forsake all other before your new digital ruler…"

It feels like you’ve been around since dirt. You still haven’t hit 17 yet!  I’ve been on the site for over 20yrs now and you were here before I was. :p 

Other than that, what have you been up to?????

Profile photo of Gmork

…I was speaking more metaphorically. wink

Profile photo of Gmork

i’ll give that an AMEN!

Profile photo of Gmork

re: the sex scene.  I love me some lovin’ in a movie but the length and gratutiousness of the scene added absolutely nothing to the storyline.  It was basically a fanboy wet dream come true.

Profile photo of Ian Bahas

I thought the sex scene was kind of stupid, but overall I loved it.  One of my friends who has kids (6 and 4 respectively) decided to bring his kids (He went to a different showing, so i didn’t get to laugh at him during the movie).  We were laughing at him about it all night last night.  Great movie, but it earns its rated R rating. Also, Rorschach is the best character by far (casting-wise and in general)

-The OSU vs. Michigan game. 800 years of tradition and the rivalry is still strong as ever

It sold out in every single Imax theater across the country, the only to ever do that before was…you guessed it, The Dark Knight. Thats a pretty big acomplishment. Oh, and the movie was amazing by the way. GO SEE IT!

"When i say your dumb name step forward and forsake all other before your new digital ruler…"

My dad wants to see it too.

G-Man

Profile photo of Nathan Wells

But they were very strict on the "NO under 17s without parents" rule
    Nate Dogg… The only signature I need is my fist.

thus i must go to IMAX

I might try to get into a show there tomorrow. If not, they other screens are quite large anyway…

Profile photo of Tim Feely

Sounds like the way to go. I think there is an IMAX theatre near me.

I’m a Pusher. Won’t you be a Pusher too?

well you are doing well in catching up. you are on the first page. 

You’ve beaten me to some crack before, but it’s cool. Besides, I have to catch up to you somehow.

always was referring to all the Damn beatings in the countdown. I miss out on the crack hits cuz you are just to damn quick. so i consider that bad news. but it’s all good. I made off with some nice crack yesterday.

Thanks, it’s kinda cool. 5000, just saying it gives me chills. I didn’t want to post just so I could bask in the number. 

Congratulations on 5000!!!

you put in writing that they had indeed changed the end. all my other friends would start to say something and I would just cover my ears and sing/hum. then I could remain naive to the true facts. Watchmen will not be the same.

But, I am reminded by the illustrious  Gmork that althogh it has been changed the Ideal and meaning is still there.

Dude Really, love the book but I’m not a purist. just yanking your chain.

this posting puts me at Exactly 5000.

Profile photo of Sean Ryan

for that format. Now here’s hopin its a good movie.

I don’t read the script. The script reads me. – Kirk Lazarus

Yeah, IMAX style! Now I know what theatre I’m going to.

Profile photo of Sean Ryan

Checkin it out IMAX style

I don’t read the script. The script reads me. – Kirk Lazarus

I went with this chick I was dating, her friends and their young son. Yeah, great idea bringing him. He freaked right out during the movie. 

Somebody should have tripped his dumb ass down the aisle.

Profile photo of Gmork

there was a dude that brought a very young kid to the cinema showing I was at…..they left about a quarter of the way through.

Profile photo of Gmork

Overall I thought it was quite good.  I’ll caveat that with the fact that I had read the graphic novel ahead of the movie and I think to some degree that made it more enjoyable.  Not that it’s 100% necessary to have read the book but I personally think it made it easier to appreciate the homages to scenes they couldn’t spend a lot of time or energy on.

They did, indeed, change the ending but it made sense and still aided in communicating the underlying meaning of the event.  If I had a compliant, it would only be that I thought some of the music didn’t quite fit a few of the moments…it was only midly distracting, though.  In all, it was excellent for it’s genre.  Oh, and if you’re thinking of taking a child to see it…DON’T.  It’s bloody, violent, and somewhat despairing for someone not old enough to understand that sometimes the world just ain’t fair.

no way. that is what makes the book.

Dude that sucks. I didn’t hear they had actually done it. i heard rumors but didn’t want to believe. DDJ you suck, always the messenger of bad news. but alas I should not beat the messenger. You are still my fellow Junkie DDJ, I love you, man.  

heard there are only minor changes in the transition from book to movie.

Profile photo of Tim Feely

After I finish reading the book. I am reading it right now.

….even though I really want to see it tonight. Not having to put up with a large crowd of jackasses is always a bonus.

I might even skip a little work on tuesday so I can see it with a smaller crowd. 

Today’s the big day (6:45 to be exact!), any other junkies going to see it/seen it? This is the place to post your thoughts, feelings, rants, raves and reviews.

"When i say your dumb name please step forward and forsake all others before your new digital ruler…"

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.