This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of iamquentinbarnes iamquentinbarnes 1 year, 3 months ago.

Very dissapointed with the ending (spoilers)

I like the football focus of the books, but I would not have stayed interested without the character development. Scott (as if I know him Foot in Mouth) could have taken many paths to close out the MVP, but I have been rooting for Quentin and his sister to reunite. The ending has me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next book!!!

You “don’t particularly care about Quentin’s sister”?!?!?!? How rude!!!!

Tongue Out

“I disagree for the VERY reasons you mentioned. If you just want a sports book go read The Rookie and stop there. The series is about more than just the GFL. If you noticed there’s no longer the long long descriptions of a majority of the games. Why? Beccause now you are involved with characters too. And if Sigler ended it with Championship then why come back for the next book?”

No, no, no. Sports isn’t the only thing but it’s a intergral part of the GFL series.

I guess this is my interpretation, maybe Scott agrees with you, but sports is THE main narrative device which then you get all those other themes like racism, or friendship or family.

But you HAVE to follow the rules of sports so to speak. Much like there’s a certain rule to writing other genres like romance or horror.

A championship in sports is the exclamation point. Now that doesn’t mean it has to be the finale or the end. But it’s a break, it’s an ending. It’s significant. It has to mean something.

The reason I dislike it is that Scott destroyed the meaningfullness of that moment by introducing a new challenge immediatley afterwards and upstaging it.

If we’re invested in these characters and rooting for these characters then it’s only fair the reader gets to enjoy the triumphs of the characters.

I get that you need to introduce new conflicts to keep the reader hooked but it should’ve been done in a better way, a championship is the Holy Grail and we’ve been building up to it, you can’t then only devote a few pages and treat it like an afterthought.

My guess is that Scott didn’t trust his reader enough fearing most wouldn’t be sports fans so they wouldn’t give a damn about Quentin and the Krackens winning a mere football game so he felt he had to introduce a real problem. As a sports fan that dissapoints me because as any sports fan can tell you, a mere game can feel like life and death. A fictional championship can feel bigger than a fictional character saving a fictional earth from blowing up.

I feel like Scott has been true to the nature of sports for 4 books UNTIL this moment.

“And if Sigler ended it with Championship then why come back for the next book? ”

Why do athletes come back after winning one championship? To win another one?

The natural course of action would be for Quentin to enjoy the highs in the next book followed by a hard fall back to reality on how hard it is to defend a championship, in between he could have the crisis with his sister or after that book.

But to do it right after the first championship, I just can’t agree with that.

“The Krakens have gotten their goal and Barnes his MVP.

One championship isn’t the end all for a franchise. Again, what I love about the GFL series is that it’s not a superficial sports backdrop, it’s a realistic representation of what sports is like, what teams are like, what atheletes are like.

So within that framework, the goal is to win multiple championships, not one. If you read sports books you notice that just because a team wins one it doesn’t mean happily ever after, so your insinuation that if it had ended with the team being happy they won the title isn’t accurate.

When the Patriots won their first title, they were happy for a while, then they were MISERABLE the next season when they had the championship hangover. I know the GFL isn’t going to be that true to real sports but, but it went too far in the other direction.

“Plus do you think real athlete’s have nothing else going on in their lives?”

I disagree a billion percent. Quentin is all about football. He’s clearly the stereotypical obsessive jock that’s obsessed with nothing but winning.

I’m not saying that’s all he is, but it’s fundamentally who he is. I’m sure a guy like Tom Brady or Michael Jordan has other interests, loves their friends, significant others, but at their core they’re about sports, they’re competitors.

I’m struggling to come up with a analogy…

It’s like Lost in Space, you can’t have them finally find their way home then 5 minutes later reveal that Earth has been taken over by Aliens and they’re in another crisis.

Ok, not a perfect example but still, I feel my Sklorno rage coming on! The championship is sacred! You can’t just fastforward through the post-championship celebration because he has to rescue his sister!!!!!!!

I disagree for the VERY reasons you mentioned. If you just want a sports book go read The Rookie and stop there. The series is about more than just the GFL. If you noticed there’s no longer the long long descriptions of a majority of the games. Why? Beccause now you are involved with characters too. And if Sigler ended it with Championship then why come back for the next book? The Krakens have gotten their goal and Barnes his MVP.

There’s gotta be a reason to come back. Plus do you think real athlete’s have nothing else going on in their lives? Everyone in life does and that’s the extra about sports most forget about..why this series is so fun.

No way! I feel you may have missed the character growth. Quentin cares about MORE than football now. He has grown and changed. While still loving the game, it no longer drives him completely. The only variable was time. That isn’t the same with his sister. Growth. It’s all about growth.

Besides, after 4 books maybe el Siglerissimo might be looking for fresh perspective.

Now I have to preface by saying that this might sound negative, but keep in mind that for every one bad thing I have to say about the GFL series I prob have a 100 good things to say. I just want to sound off on this specific thing first because having finished MVP it’s the freshest thing on my mind.

In a nutshell: I wish Scott had just ended The MVP with the Krakens winning the title. Like here.

“and his teammates roared in joy, they roared for the title, but mostly, they roared for him.”

Boom. End it there. Then the Yolanda Davenport recap. PERFECT ending.

Now I’m not a author but I do know there are rules like you’re suppose to keep the suspense going and you can’t just stop and give your characters a happy ending because then the readers lose interest. So I can respect the position Scott is in to not take his foot off the pedal. You always have to put your characters in some conflict, I get that.

But a championship. I mean….. I love that Scott doesn’t just treat sports like a afterthought like so many other fictional stuff with sports as a backdrop does. Games mean something in the GFL series. Strategy means something, the stakes (though not always) involve sports. Quentin is about winning, in a sport.

So when Quentin finally wins a championship, it should mean something. We should soak it in. It should not be shoved aside to bring the “Your sister is missing” plot.

Now look, I don’t particularly care about Quentin’s sister as a character yet. But even if I did I’d still feel the same. The Championship, the holy grail of sports. It should be treated with more respect.

How I percieved it Scott was that you didn’t think the reader wouldn’t care about the championship. As much as the a reader would have invested in Quentin and the other Krackens that solely that conflict being resolved (QB winning a championship) wasn’t enough, so you had to through in the “sister’s-in-peril, assemble the Scoobies to rescue her”.

Now I may be way off but it just seems to be this recurring theme, not just with GFL but almost every fictional portrayal of sports, that there’s this nagging school of thought that people don’t give a shuck about fictional sports. “It could never match the drama of real sports”, so you have to put in these fantastic elements, like the QB is a vampire or it’s not about sports, it’s about the relationships, or how sports represents a small town (Friday Night Lights) or it’s about a father son relationship, blah blah blah.

Now I’m not criticising that. I love the sci-fi twist of GFL, but what I love what Scott did is that sports do matter. It’s apart of the story, it’s not just some backdrop so you can use it as a allegory about something else (though you do that, exceptionally, like racism)

But there is this tug-of-war. You don’t want it to be too wonkish where it alienates the non-sports fans but you want enough to to stay true to sports to keep the sports fans happy.

My main point is that the MVP’s ending, the last minute twist with Quentin’s sister was about non-sports fans. I felt it was like “Ok Quentin finally wins the championship, but don’t go anywhere reader! They’re going to have this Star Wars like adventure in the next book!”.

And again, I don’t want to sound too negative. I have so much praise and positive comments I will latter post. But I just wanted to get that out first. I’m just so damn impressed by GFL and this world you’ve created. I just felt like the MVP ending made the book a little less perfect.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.