This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Dave Johnson Dave Johnson 4 years, 8 months ago.

Trans-Species Transplants.

I already have the antibodies for swine flu. My secondary immune response will kick it’s arse …. of course I’m fucked if I need an organ from our porcine friends now!

I do believe that is a win

gothguy720.deviantart.com

some really similar research going on in the beginning of Ancestor, and it didn’t turn out too great for the folks involved. I believe the project ended something like this:

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

My sister is going to need a kidney transplant in the next 10 – 15 years, so this rocks in the event that I’m not a good match as a donor!

If you had a “special Bacon” sandwich would that count as cannibalism?

kind of reminds me of the dr. suess book I Wish I Had Duck Feet

but more seriously, i cannot imgaine people rejecting others over pig-lungs.

1-no one would know

2-put in the circumstance of needing replacement lungs urgently, i don’t think anyone would reject them to stay alive

unless the gfl finds the mod to icnrease airflow and create an advantage while enduring physical activities, i see no reason to ban

from the british telegraph.

Pig lungs in human transplants move step closer

The use of pig lungs in transplants into humans has moved a step closer with a medical breakthrough.

Pig lying on grass:Pig lungs in human transplants move step  closer
    Experts estimated the work could lead to the first animal-human transplants within five years Photo: ALAMY

Scientists in Melbourne, Australia, used a ventilator and pump to keep the animal lungs alive and “breathing” while human blood flowed in them.

Experts estimated the work could lead to the first animal-human transplants within five years.

Dr Glenn Westall, who helped conduct the experiment, said: “The blood went into the lungs without oxygen and came out with oxygen, which is the exact function of the lungs.

“It showed that these lungs were working perfectly well and doing as we were expecting them to do.

“This is a significant advance compared to experiments that have been performed over the past 20 years.”

The breakthrough came after scientists were able to remove a section of pig DNA, which had made the pig organs incompatible with human blood.

Previous attempts to combine unmodified pig lungs and human blood ended abruptly two years ago when blood clots began forming almost immediately, causing the organs to become so blocked no blood could pass through.

Human DNA is now added to the pigs as they are reared to reduce clotting and the number of lungs which are rejected.

The full results of the research are due to be announced in Vancouver in August.

The issue has prompted an ethical debate about the use of animals for human transplants.

Medical ethicist Professor Nicholas Tonti-Filippini said: “It is basically a human-pig, a hybrid, or whatever you want to call it.

“It is about whether the community is prepared to accept a part human, part animal.”

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.