This topic contains 236 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Paul DeWig Paul DeWig 2 years, 9 months ago.

Torchwood/ DR Who

No other junkies get BBC America? Torchwood is the HANDS DOWN best sci-fi show(other than the new Who…I feel like a traitor but I might even like it better) If you haven’t seen it whats stopping you.

never heard of it, now ya got me curious

the voices are too
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

actually, a busy life
    and wife has control of the remote, which is fine, since really don’t care what we watch (we like the same programing, so no issue there)
    got kids in soccer (same kid on two teams), ochestra (got one playing cello, the soccerplayer, and the other viola),and choir (the viola player, how is in two ochestra’s)
    and i am finishing my MASTERS, TONIGHT!! (12/4/07)
    tourchwood, is it on PBS or SciFi or one of the movie channels like HBO or showtime??
    we do not get the movie channels, cable cost too much as it is
    The Math god

I’m seeing him in all his kinky bootedness glory in an aladdin panto here in england. Hell yeah! Right before my maths exam. I’m in love with the gay boy. Pure tack.

I have to say I’m more of a Doctor Who fan, but I haven’t seen Torchwood yet. Can’t quite remember what time or day its on. Bad memory sucks monkey ass.

“We may have days, we may have hours. But sooner or later, we all push up flowers…” -Grim Fandango

Torchwood and dr who rock

Torchwood is a spin off of Doctor Who, taking characters such as Captain Jack and others from the Second Season of the revived series, and having them continue to fight the good fight against baddies when the Good Doctor and companion of the moment are off in another part of the universe. The organization was founded and named by Queen Victoria after she banned the Doctor from England despite his coming to the rescue again to save her from werewolves (of a sort). Torchwood lived on secretly for many years, and was mentioned in various Who episodes. It looks like the third year of the Tennant reign will bring them together again.

For golden oldie Who-ites like me, the name Sara Jane brings memories of the 4th Doctor (Tom Baker) and his erstwhile companion. Now Sara Jane Smith, played by the one and the same Elisabeth Sladen, continues tackling wicked aliens with the help of some young companions. This is more of a kid’s show, but it moves between the Doctor and Torchwood as well, battling many of the same aliens. Sara Jane showed up on a Doctor Who episode last year (USA time).

Hit the wrong damn button. Lucky we have Sigler as our God of Perfection.

has it aired in the US??
    what network??
    The Math god

Yeah…Im a “Baker” whovian myself…Liz Slayden still looks totally hot(dare I say MILFTASTIC?)
    I got so nostalgic watching “School Reunion”.
    I wish the Sarah Jane Adventures were available on BBC US even though its a kids show, come on its got LIZ in it!
    now I wonder how LEELA is looking these days?

I like the threads that connect the shows. I thought the giant monster was lame,

Who is John Galt?

This is also a very original show.

Who is John Galt?

I’ve managed to get my shows via my magic jet plane, and have watched almost all the series so far. The dark nature of the stories is what appeals to me. Space guys are not always nice in Dr. Who, but in Torchwood, the characters don’t have to like the nasties and can get mean right back.

——-

Whole Lot of Nonsense PodCast – http://www.wholelotofnonsense.org
    UUCSH Sunday Services – http://uucsh.libsyn.com
    Follow Me – http://www.twitter.com/bpende
    Pownce on Me – http://www.pownce.com/bpende

I’m hoping you’re talking about Series 2 starting on BBC America.

I’m waiting for Ashes to Ashes, LOM set in the 80s, to start on BBC.

——-

Cap’n Jack is the ultimate omni-sexual. I love when Jack is on with the Dr., and there’s a moment where Jack introduces himself, and the Dr. says, “Stop it.” and then clarifies that “Hello” is flirting with regards to Jack.

Jack’s character in Torchwood is wicked cool, and well worth the watching.
    ——-

When Dr. Who started shooting, the production crew didn’t want to label the cans, “Doctor Who”, so they took an anagram and labeled them “TORCHWOOD”.

——-

the main guy the dude who plays the Master on the new DR who?

On BBC USA…..saturday nights 9:00 est

He was most likely enjoying it a lot John Barrowman is gay(no this isn’t a condemnation just a fact)

on your masters!

Saturday 9:00 est on BBC America…Season 2 starts jan 18th I think!

i didn’t do a dec graduation, gonna do that in may
    i want my oldest son to be there
    he gets back from Iraq in January
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Math god

Well your a bit older for the average college kid(lol) so I assume your a teacher…Most of the teachers I know end up getting (finishing) their masters degree rather later in life. My cuz got hers at like 25 but she did the whole shebang right through(its nice to have parents that don’t mind supporting you:)) she teaches Spanish at the college level now though

teaching is a second career of sorts, went back to my first love, mathematics
    i was 37 when i started teaching
    The Math god

You can watch Dr Who on the SciFi channel and Torchwood on BBC America

Wallerdad

Way to go Bubbah!!!

chicken scissors
    chicken scissors
    chicken scissors

James Marsters rocks my socks. And evidently John Barrowman’s too.
    Aladdin on Sunday! Wahey. Final performance.
    *~*
    My thoughts this week: Waiting is an essential part of junkie life.
    2 Days to John Barrowman!

I love Dr Who, more the David tennant and any other because, he seems like a more realistic doctor to me, suits the role better. Not into the new eps though now Rose is gone. No sidekick can replace her. She was bad at sacting but she grew on me.
    Torchwood rocks too, I LOVE CAP. Jack~

I Live in LalaLand =)

I grew up watching the Doctor back in the Tom Baker days. So, I was sitting at the house one Sunday morning and I google Dr Who. Well….. wasn’t I supprised to find that they brought him back. So,I did what any good little whovian would do and found a torrent, downloaded and checked it out. I got hooked from that point on. Me and my wife (at the time) would make the Doctor part of our weekly tradition. Now, I got turned on to Torchwood. THAT shos rocks! Laughing. So, I think that Sigler should create a monster that the Doctor has to fight and save the world. What if HE got infected…

Illuminati Neal

Chiclen scissors make my willy hurt!!!

I never watched DrWho growing up.  I guess I was a special effects snoot or something.  Too bad, it sounds like I missed out on an excellent couple of decades of stories.
    I didn’t start watching until "Al Bundy Time Lord" but he only lasted a year and then came in David Tennant.  I’m a big Tennant fan.
    John Barrowman is what God planned for mankind since the beginning.  Look at him! Obviously, there were teams of angels tasked with creating the perfect working production model. *thud*
    Tastes Like Chicken

Torchwood is by far my favorite program on TV right now.

I bought season one on DVD after watching the first episode of Season 2 on BBC America.  Sex, violence and aliens….rock on!

John Barrowman as Capt. Jack Harkness exudes confidence, strength, and sex appeal…and he fancies anybody and anything!  Never know who’s going to be snogging …like I said…it rocks!

I thought Christopher Eccleston did a great job as the Doctor. I have to admit I didn’t like David Tennant at first as the new Doctor but now I can’t imagine anyone else in the part. I liked Billy Piper and Freema Agyeman but so far I don’t like Catherine Tate at all

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

I’m not knocking Eccleston – he was fabulous.  I just could not for the life of me remember his name for a moment.  He was my first doctor, how could I not like him?
    He was in a movie I saw several years ago that had that girl who desperately needs a sandwich … Renée Zellweger.  "Price Above Rubies" about orthodox jewish jewelers in New York.  He played a horrible person but did it wonderfully.
    Tastes Like Chicken

He was also in a film called The Invisable Circus.

I have seen the older gent who played the Master in many things but have no idea who he is.
    The younger version is played by John Simms who plays Sam Tyler on the BBC program, "Life on Mars".  US folks can watch it on BBC America.
    Life On Mars is a cop show that takes place in the 1970′s…. or does it?
    Sam is hit by a speeding car on 2005 and wakes up in 1975.  Is he dead? Is he in a coma? Has he gone back in time?  Watching Sam deal with the ’70′s is a hoot.  The clothes are enough to make your eyeballs bleed and the 1970′s music reminds us that rockers used to do a boatload of drugs. (they all drink green tea and eat soy burgers today).
    Tastes Like Chicken

Anyone here like Wire in the Blood? The new season hits 4/6 at 8pm est. The preview looks freaky as hell!!!

Just got to watch the season 2 finale on DVR…holy crap was it fantastic!  Didn’t expect the ending that occurred …awesome writing.  Did anyone else see it?

Can’t wait for the next season, although the BBC hsan’t confirmed if it will be back, as of yet.

I’ve recorded the entire season on my DVR and have waited until all are there in little digital bites to indulge myself.  My lovely husband and I plan on having a total Torchwood marathon on Sunday.  I’m going to make popcorn and everything.
    Tastes Like Chicken

I though others might not have gotten a chance to see it so I stayed away from spoilers, but I love the fact that the writer’s were brave enough to write that type of plot.  I suppose that’s what I love about BBC programming…very fresh and unpredictable…freakin’ brilliant stuff!

Good twist and a few shake ups for a season finale

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

So far, this season has been excellent.  Totally dug the whole John / Jack, "You were the wife" fight.  "Yeah, but I was a good wife."   Classic.
    Tastes Like Chicken

James Marsters was money as Capt. John….spot on character of mayhem while maintaining his signature suave demeanor.  Dug the John / Jack relationship as well… can’t wait for the writers to flesh out more about Jack’s time at the Time Agency…maybe in Series 3.

Not sure if you made it to the episode named "Reset", when Martha Jones visits Torchwood, but Ianto has some key Jack descriptions in that episode…"Bordering on the avant-garde"….and "Innovative".  Love It!!

I swear its like crack to me (well, ANOTHER type of crack) I keep checking for when the new season will start. It’s shown on the channel CBC over here.

• "We may have days, we may have hours. But sooner or later, we all push up flowers…" -Grim Fandango

If you are located in the US, then I am the bearer of bad news….Season 4 started 2 weeks ago on the SciFi Network.  

BBC America is still showing reruns of season 3 but this past Friday SciFi showed episode 2: The Fires of Pompeii.  The prior week they showed episode 1: Partners in Crime.

Canada, eh.

• "We may have days, we may have hours. But sooner or later, we all push up flowers…" -Grim Fandango

Guys name is (Sir) Derek Jacobi and he has played bit parts in basically everything english for the past 30 years but is most famous as Claudius in I Claudius back in 1976. Most recently (big role) in the Golden compass or nanny McPhee

Not a huge fan, but the best is very very good. Three stories stand out for me "Blink" – series 3 episode 10 written by Steven Moffat was the very best – I almost retreated behind the sofa – followed by "Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead" series 4 episodes 8 and 9 written by Steven Moffat and in third place "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" Series 1 episodes 9 and 10 also written by Steven Moffat – I think I see a pattern here….

Those were pretty neat episodes…you’ll be glad to know that Steven Moffat is succeeding Russsel T Davies as the lead writer and Exec. Producer of the Doctor Who series in the 2010 season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/s4/news/latest/080520_news_01

Also for fans of Torchwood, while Doctor Who season 4 episode 11 had mention of Torchwood, episode 12 will have Capt Jack, Ianto and Gwen as part of the episode!!  Also Sarah Jane Smith will be back.  What fun~!

i now have a dislike 4 tv but i will watch torchwood just because it was made in cardiff.  dr who is not as good but then if you realy want a good si-fi you want to see tripping the rift 

what’s wrong with a bit of senseless violence to a lemming?

they’re only going to walk off a cliff.

I was thinking of making Cardiff a stop on my fall trip to the UK just because of Torchwood!  I need a pic of myself in front of The Hub entrance…I hear it’s still there.  Oh and I need to know what Splott looks like.  It seems like everyone who dies or is a suspect in Torchwood is from Splott (even the Torchwood book ‘Another Life’ had the baddie coming from Splott!).

My inner geek is waiting with barely contained anticipation for the release of the second season of Torchwood.  Sept 16th is the date.  If there is a bit of silence from the Gmork on the days subsequent to the release…assume I am knee deep in Torchwood episodes!!

Don’t blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. Whatever you do, don’t blink.

but I think Shadygirl and I will end up watching it soon. I keep hearing great stuff about Torchwood!

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

Vol 1 Platinum Edition is on its way to us thanks to Netflix! It looks like volume 1 is only ~125 minutes. Is it really that short?

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

It’s a spinoff from Doctor Who but doesn’t require a complete familiarity with it to understand the plots.  I saw adverts for the season 2 opener and dvr’ed it thinking it looked intriguing.  I watched it later the same week and thought I had never seen anything like this on TV…salacious, violent, comedic and larger than life! I immediatey went out and purcased season 1 before watching any more of season 2.  Some of the special effects in season one could have used a bit of help but where that lacked the storylines defnately made up.  THey seem to have poured a bit more money into season 2, though.

Don’t blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. Whatever you do, don’t blink.

It’s only 125 mins but what a cool 125 mins it is!

I can’t wait to hear how you and Shadygirl like it!!

Sounds way better than the 125 minutes I spent in a meeting today after lunch. I’m pretty sure that 125 minutes was the longest month of my life.

or series 2 rather… those wacky Brits and their silly names for crap….

It aired just a couple weeks behind it’s BBC release in Britain.

It rocks most of the way through but I’m not fond of the ending…..

Plus I tend to download them the night they air in England…..

It’s not how far you go it’s how go you far – Ski School

I’m reminded of the Immortal words of Socrates who said – "I drank What?!" – Real Genius

I’ve already seen the entire "series" on BBC America.  I just can’t wait to own it and get my grubby hands on the commentary/outtakes/bloopers.  In the extras for series 1, they had a really cool outtake of John Barrowman singing "Anything Goes" on the set of the epidoes entitled "Captain Jack Harkness" (where he basically meets his namesake).  That was the first time I had seen him sing…didn’t know prior to that, that both he and Naoko Mori were trained theatre actors!

Just got an email update from BBC America saying that the new (albeit shortened) season of Torchwood and Doctor Who will be airing soon *squee*

Here’s the link to the article online (click here). 

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

get back into those shows. I liked Torchwood and watched when I could. Did they ever say why Capt Jack couldn’t die? If I remember doesn’t he have amnesia

"What the hell is happening? I blew up the building. Why? Because you made a phone call."

nice to see fellow Junkies enjoy torchwood and Dr Who.

I am a big fan, Im an old Dr Who fan from the 80′s & 90′s

It’s also cool that I used to be in School with Eve Myles who plays Gwen Cooper – She was a friend of mine in High school, she is a really nice human being with a wiked sense of humour – she is also a good actress as you can tell!

Unfortunetly I have not seen Eve since 1999 – Im sure she is still a great lady though!

– “When I get a little money I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes.” – Erasmus

you’d actually have to watch the last last 2 episodes of the first season of Doctor Who.  If you don’t mind the spoilers read below:

Captain Jack was killed by a Dalek while he was protecting the Doctor from an onslaught of Daleks sent by the Dalek Emperor to kill the Doctor. The Doctor was trying to stop the Dalek Empreror from destroying Earth. 

When Jack ran out of bullets he put himself between the Daleks and the path to the Doctor.  Of course, the Daleks just zapped him and killed Jack.  The Doctor had sent Rose back to her time with the Tardis, knowning that there was a good chance she would be put in harms way if she stayed with him. 

Rose (with help from her mother and Mickey) pried open the heart of the Tardis and Rose absored the time continuum into heartself…basically become stronger than even the Doctor. She commanded the Tardis to return to return her to the Doctor and used her power to destroy the Dalek Emperor and all his minions and to also bring Jack back to life. However, since she could not control the power, she brought jack back to life…forever. Essentially making him an abomination.This also lead to regeneration of the 9th Doctor into the 10th. 

The neatest part of all? Because Jack is said to live forever, there is an episode in series 3 of Doctor Who where the Doctor all but confirms that Jack is The Face of Boe.  Brilliant intertwining of the two worlds!

–Gmork (MP, CA, WC, TG, MoGC, AAGC, PWTG, TBG)

my 10 year old has two of the seasons on DVD (David Tennant), and my 4 and 6 years olds watch it with him.

You’d be able to tell me! I’ve been missing out by the hit & miss viewing I’ve done.
    Thanks Gmork!

"What the hell is happening? I blew up the building. Why? Because you made a phone call."

Finally got around to watching the new season of Torchwood and Doctor Who.

Torchwood continues to amaze me.  It’ storytelling with balls.  The writers are not afraid to be true to the story disregarding convenient endings.  Salacious, adult, forward thinking and sci-fi through and through.

The new Doctor Who series, Planet of the Dead, was really good as well.  Michelle Ryan was simply amazing as a psuedo-companion for The Doctor.  I will miss David Tennant as he plays goofy and dark equally well.  What an amazing actor!  

So tell me Junkies, what did you think about the new series of Torchwood & Doctor Who??

Without getting into spoilers, it is hard to figure how they can bring back Torchwood for another season.

The doctor has 2 new specialscoming, one at xmas, one at new years.  The second one ends with regeneration, according to reports. 

• Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  And now a pusher too!  UNdead Knight!  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!
  • Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  And now a pusher too!  UNdead Knight!  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!

Children of Earth was outstanding- great story, great writing- to my knowledge this is the last one, the series is over.

Dr Who’s Planet of the Dead, I thought it was great until the bus started flying- it lost me at that point, it just seemed like an easy way out

And to throw another show in the mix- the second season of Primevil was a lot better than the first

BBC hasn’t confirmed it but according to Cinema Spy, Russell T Davies announced at ComicCon that BBC has renewed Torchwood for a fourth series.  BBC tends to confirm these things at the last minute, so it’s just speculation at this point as BBC has not officially confirmed it.  Still, with Jack being immortal ( and knowing he doesn’t bite it until he’s on New Earth), there’s always more story to tell.  I’d love to see Martha Jones join Torchwood from UNIT and be their new medic but I suppose we’ll just have to wait and see.

all this continued talk about Torchwood is, well, torture. I may not be able to wait the 17.5 years for it to make its way to the top of my abundant Netflix queue. Might I just have to purchase season #1??? Advise me, great Queen of Toastiness.

MC, CA, UNdead Jester and Love Slave of the UNdead Grave Mother

PM me your address and I’ll send you the first season of Torchwood.  Yes, for real…no kidding.  It’s just *that* good!

No way! Well…OK. PM coming atcha! You’re the best Gmork anyone could have!

really having a good time with it. 

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

I could zip it out to you guys, as well. 

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]
    And Friend of MuchAdo!

so what would I have to do to receive this. really Mister I would do ANYthing, oh wait a minute I might not do that, and that seem sa little strange, OOOH and hell NO I won’t do that…

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Thanks to you and Gmork for keeping us connected while we’re far away!

is the new SciFi (now SyFy)!  It has better SciFi shows, IMHO. 

Is in my hot little hands. Once Shadygirl gets back from her “Devastation of Vegas Tour” we’re gonna do some serious watching! Thanks soooo much, Great Toasty Gmork! Your generosity makes us feel like ohana.

I already twittered a 140 character version of this, but it seems appropriate for this thread:

I took the family down to Dragon*Con Saturday morning to check out the parade.  My wife, my 4 y/o daughter, and my 6 and 11 y/o sons.  The parade route was pretty crowded, so Anna and Riley ended up on my shoulders for most of the parade.

At one point while we’re in the middle of the crowd and 4 year old Anna was on my shoulders, she looks up the street at the oncoming paraders and screams "Look Daddy!!! A Dalek!!!"

Pretty much everyone around us busted out laughing… all but the few that gave me the "Should I call DFACS?" look.

I thought it was hilarious. :-)

There were a bunch of people dressed up as the 10th Doctor too but one of them in particular was uncanny!  He had a girl with him that made a pretty decent Rose :)

I know the Doctor that you’re talking about!  I only saw him on Friday and Late Saturday after my kids had gone home for the day, which was too bad cause my 11 y/o is a huge 10th Dr. fan.

New Doctor, new TARDIS, new sonic screwdriver and new companion.

Finally got a chance to see the newest Doctor Who episode and I think I am going to like the new Doctor. I had reservations at first but the writer, Stephen Moffatt, did a brilliant job making the Doctor swagger just as well has he did in previous incarnations. Will desperately miss David Tennant as the 10th Doctor but I am bubbling with anticipation over the 11th *whew*

So I was all excited about the buzz that the creators of Torchwood were looking to bring it over to the US for a reboot. Looks like their preliminary partnership with Fox has been nixed but not the project itself. Fingers crossed…here’s the link to the article: http://bit.ly/cRAQR4p

They kill good sci-fi. I’m sure I don’t need to list examples.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

… when I first saw pictures of Matt Smith. But then I saw his first few seconds in The End of Time and I thought that he’s hitting the right attitude and he might be able to carry it off.

Having seen the first two episodes, he still seems a bit rough, but he looks like he’s heading in the right direction. Then again, it took David Tennant about half of his first season to hit stride with the character, so we should all cut Matt the same slack.

Doc

I haven’t seen the second episode yet…have my DVR set to record it. You’re definitely right about Tennant taking a bit to really feel like the Doctor, so I am absolutely giving Matt Smith some time to warm up. I think if the writing continues to be good, he’ll just fall into place. And if not, at least his companion is a looker! :)

Redheads For the Win!

Doc

We’re catching last season over here and we’re almost done with Season 1 (DVD). Season 2 is in the mail! Strange watching the last season and catching up on the earlier ones. But we’ve seen enough that it’s not a bad experience. Can’t wait to start seeing the newest one!

I’ve about given up on their ability to do SciFi right. They just won’t let an audience build. That said, unless HBO or Showtime runs with it, I fear it’ll fail in the US. There are definitely things in/about Torchwood that just won’t pass muster with the US TV mafia. Here’s to wishful thinking though!

I don’t think HBO would work all that well. The premium networks usually want something to offer (eg violence, sex, language) that you can’t get on network TV. Torchwood would be a great candidate for something like that.

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

Syfy expressed interest via Twitter but only if it were offered to them. Sounds like Syfy won’t go out and pursue it but if Torchwood were to come to them, that they’d talk. judging by how low budget some of the Syfy programming is, I can’t see that Torchwood would fit in there, but one can hope!

If you’re talking about having Fox or some other American network take over the tales of life, love, and near disaster of Torchwood Three in Cardiff, I’m thinking No. Just no. No one on this side of the pond is going to tell the story right.

Now if they’re going to take up the hypothetical tale of Torchwood Seven in Chicago, or something like that…. now you might have something that an American network can build on without driving it into the ground. There is no reason for the Torchwood Institute to have confined itself to just the UK. Alien flotsam and jetsam appears all over the world. They would set up chapters wherever they needed to. Wherever strange things happened just a bit too frequently. Captain Jack only talked about four Torchwood chapters, but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t others, and they aren’t still out there. When Torchwood One got taken out, the coordination between chapters would have fallen apart, but I can easily see the remaining chapters continuing to operate. After all, their mission is to ultimately save the world. How could they stop?

Just… not Fox.

Doc

I like the idea of Jack being the USA because of another Torchwood branch (other than Cardiff). I agree whole heartedly that the particularly Welsh touch would be decimated by trying to recreate it here in the US. It would be cool to see two Torchwood offices interacting … maybe more of a global approach to the story.
    ———–
    Gmork – Wiki Czar and Thwackacutioner

… but now that you mention it, a Torchwood spinoff set in the USA would benefit greatly from Captain Jack Harkness showing up in the pilot episode. But I would expect it would be more of a case of having him be there long enough to establish the new team’s identities and roles and then he’d leave because he “had to get back to his own team”.

But I don’t know how well a shared or licenced property would work being written and produced by two separate networks. I think the BBC really has a lot more to do with Torchwood, if only they’d get their act together.

Doc

Can the story arc (dare I say canon) support another Jack Harkness-like being, or would TW-Chicago just have regular folk in it? Either way I think it’ll work if they just take the time and cash to do it right. This is fun to think about!

He’s SOooo goofy-looking. You guys get the cute red-head and the gals get goofy-boy. Course, most of the other Doctors were kind of off-beat looking (to put it kindly). I miss David Tennant.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Jack is unique in the universe, but there is no reason that there wouldn’t be plenty of weird to go around for a theoretical Torchwood – Chicago (or somewhere else). The nature of that weird depends on how rigidly the American counterparts adhered to the original Torchwood mandate. If they’re interpreting things more loosely, you could have aliens or non-humans on the team. Or you could have an unusual collection of straight humans who just happen to be oddball enthusiasts. Or a bunch of geeks with a drill seargent to ride herd over them. One thing they won’t be is normal. This is the kind of job that changes you one way or another.

I would think the hardest thing would be trying to come up with a typically American place that is also a hotbed of paranormal activity, but not so much so that it would be cliche. So Rosewll New Mexico and most of California are right out. There might be Torchwood chapters there, but a series set there would be too predictible. New Orleans might be interesting, especially if they put a new light on Katrina. (“I’m sorry, sir. It was an accident. I tripped and the containment vessel broke. It won’t happen again.” “It better not! Do you realize how much retcon we had to put into the water supply? Not to mention making half the state think that we got hit by a hurricane while trying to turn AWAY aid volunteers? We can’t afford to throw around those kind of resources!”) Or maybe Baltimore, it has a reputation for haunted areas. I through out Chicago off the top of my head, mostly because the old series Special Unit 2 was set there, and the Dresden Files. Not sure how well Chicago measure up for weird happenings.

Any other thoughts?

Doc

…with the return of the Weeping Angels and now I am dying for the second part of it. Not trusting River Song at this point and I love how they changed some of the mythos around how the Angels work. The writers took a few liberties but I’m ok with it as long as it lends to a good story and not some deus ex machina. Anyone else following the 11th Doctor? Thoughts on the newest epsiodes?
    ———–

The second part definately gets into some interesting twists and creative solutions. And before the end of the episode The Doctor shows more moral fortitude than I think I could have mustered were I in his place. I think it will be interesting to see how the rest of this season plays out. I’m hoping that Moffet has not set Amy Pond up to be a disposable companion, but it would appear that she is tied up with whatever the end of season multi-part story is going to be.

Doc

I can’t wait to see how this two parter turns out. And I have total faith in Stephen Moffat as a writer. He’s come up with some of the most brilliant storylines and surprises in Doctor Who so far!
    ———–

… Try googling for Dalek Masterpiece Theatre. A collection of shorts on YouTube. Hilarious.

Doc

It was announced at the beginning of this week that the 4th series of Torchwood would be a joint production between the BBC and the STARZ network. John Barrowman and Eve Miles will be returning for 13 episodes of Season 4. The series is supposed to have more international locations and is supposed to air in summer of 2011.

It will be interesting to see if this is a pre-cursor to spinning off American, Australian, and possibly other related Torchwood series.

Doc

I only know everything if you ask the right questions.

Weeping Angels episode was really cool. I need to get better cable service; I dont get to see torchwood… but I bet hulu is an option.

Seasons 1 and 2 are on DVD. As is Children of Earth. And I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re on iTunes, too. And Bittorent has such an odd assortment of things…

Doc

Gridlock in season 2? that crazy years long traffic jam in the future?

well i guess it has finally happened in China. check it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100823/sc_afp/chinaroadtraffic

..now all we need is a ‘Face of Boe’ sighting and Doctor Who will be hailed as prescient.
    ———–

Don’t forget the CatNuns.

Doc

———————————————————-

… but it does make a certain amount of sense. I just wish we didn’t have to wait another year to find out.

Doc

Wasn’t creatures eating the people that were in the lower levels of the traffic jam

But they were only eating the people in the HOV lanes, so it didn’t generate a lot of sympathy.

Doc

Fairly sure that’s the only news thread I follow.

———————————————————-

and Went on to the ol’ Netflix and found torchwood season one and started watching it and its a very god show am in enjoying it tremendously now whilt i watch it i will try and find the seasons of Doctor Who

A Flying Spoon, and Faithful Servent of The FDO

If you find yourself totally getting into Torchwood, you REALLY need to watch Doctor Who to get all the background information. The establishment of Torchwood, Captain Jack becoming immortal, the severed hand in a jar in Jack’s office, etc …all of those events happened in Dr Who episodes. There’s a lot of ‘in-jokes’ and references to prior events made in Torchwood, which are never fully explained in Torchwood episodes. You’ll only catch them if you know the corresponding Dr Who stories.

Obviously, you *can* enjoy Torchwood as a stand-alone series, but if you want the ‘complete Torchwood experience’, you gotta watch both shows.
    [flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~Proud Member of the Gutter Sistren~

And it makes you a better person. :D

Doc

Finally, Shadygirl and I (and CB) are catching up! We’re quickly working our way through Series 4. And just in time since Series 5 is out on DVD now! (We’ve avoided watching any of the most recent series so far, with the latest Dr.)

Wow you guys are plowing through the seasons at a cracking pace!

I dug the first season, fell in love with the second, and dug the third. The fourth season was kinda up in the air for me. It was kind of a relief to have the Doctor involved in a platonic relationship with his companion, insteading of continuing to have his heart ripped out or hurting someone else, but at the same time I wanted him to go rip open space and time and retrieve Rose. ::sigh::

I’ll be interested to hear what you think of the fourth season. But in the meantime, I’m excited for you both and for the outstanding stories you have yet to experience in the fourth and fifth season Laughing

Because you know that’s the next new Doctor Who: the Christmas special.

Doc

That Bittorrent can fix that.

At least, that is what I’ve heard.

Doc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer that lets you replay our live tv for free…

[flickr-photo:id=5039264863,size=m]

Christmas Day? Meh. This year it’s all about BOXING DAY!!!
    Can’t wait, can’t wait, can’t wait…

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

I missed it :(

[flickr-photo:id=5039264863,size=m]

Combat Cook

It’s never too late.

Doc

And a well-deserved break. In case you haven’t already listened, the Nerdist had a couple podcasts with the new Doctor and crew. I’ve really been a fan since Doctor number 9, but I remember watching on my tiny Black & white TV in my college apartment when the Doctor was Tom Baker (I think they were re-runs, I can’t be THAT old!)

[flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

….on episodes 2 and 3. Stephen Moffatt is a fucking genius. I can’t wait for the next episode centered around River Song. Badass River Song!!

I love both series. I heard TORCHWOOD was coming to America … No clue if that was just a rumor cuz I don’t have cable … If it’s true do think we’ll bungle it? I just watched the new DW ep on iTunes … The Black Spot? A serious one. I would watch both series as long as they make them.

From what I’ve heard, it sounds like the BBC/STARZ production of Torchwood is trying to do the series right. But we won’t really know until it actually hits the small screen. I seem to remember something about episodes coming out in July…

Doc

Black and White. Combat Cook

it’s ME that’s not that old…. wait, I think I might be exactly that old. Yep, first series was 1963. At least I’m in full color!
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

JULY?!! wow! I don’t have cable so I hope it’s offered eleswhere … it was a great show! Did they keep any of the original cast?

Torchwood seemed like the most adult of the 3 related shows … then Doctor Who then the Sara Jane Adventures … with the passing of Elizabeth Sladen … the torch ;) goes to these other two shows to keep the awesome britt sci-fi alive!! I hope its comparable to the original and isnt cancelled before it’s time like so many other American sci-fi shows …

I am gonna have to go rewatch the series to date in preparation of the new STARZ show !!

I am SO far behind in my message board reading I may never catch up … I wish there was a weekly summary thread LOL … happy friday the 13th everyone … ttfn …

John Barrowman, Eve Miles, and the guy who played Reese are supposed to be back for the new show. Not sure if they will stay the whole series, or just launch the American chapter and move on. New country, new team, same old apocalypse.

Doc

i lve dr who. but dont really like torchwood to be honest. I think it trys too hard to be a more adult show, and just ends up looking adolesant.

Torchwood: Miracle Day premieres tomorrow!

*squee*

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

They also just released the Torchwood: Web of Lies app that has the first episode of the companion to Miracle Day. It’s a motion comic but has Eve Myles, John Barrowman and Eliza Dushku voice acting the characters!(iTunes link)

… Being envious!!! :o)

My hubbie gets back from traveling on Monday and we’re supposed to watch it together then. I may have to watch it and not tell him. Surely this is too much to ask of love!!!Tongue out

WATCH IT WATCH IT WATCH IT!!! and then come tell us how it relates to the original!! Just sayin’ … I’d appreciate a review … :o)

I totally broke down and watched it without the spousal unit.

And OMG it was awesome! It was so great to see Capt Jack again. Love the acting and can’t wait for the next one.

…but I had serious doubts/fears about the new Torchwood when they said it was being made in the US – not because I thought the US would automatically cock it up, but because Doctor Who is a UK institution. Also, the Welsh countryside really lends itself to Torchwood’s brand of dark fantasy and I just couldn’t picture it being set anywhere else.

The first thing I noticed about Miracle Day was that the story itself is very ‘American’ – particularly (from the promo material) the idea of one of the central characters (won’t give spoilers!) becoming a kind of evangelical motivational speaker. Not that the ‘cult of celebrity’ thing is a strictly American phenomenon, but it comes across as more believeable than if the story was set somewhere like the UK or Australia. I think throwing the Torchwood team into a very American situation, rather than trying to pull off a traditional UK Torchwood story in an American setting, was a good idea and makes all the difference. I thoroughly enjoyed the first episode and it’s shaping up to be an excellent series.

That said, I have some reservations about the sustainability of the show after the Miracle Day series ends. I don’t know what their long-term plans are, if any, but if it was to lose the Welsh stars it would risk becoming just another X-Files/Men in Black/Area 51-type show and IMHO, there are already far too many of them. Even *with* the Welsh stars, it still kind of had that vibe. Here’s hoping the American audience takes to the UK elements of the show, so they aren’t written out in the future.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~ That Australian bitch with the stupid accent and all the subtlety of a splatterfart

Captain Jack! Kiss
    [flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Some of the gritty edge has been removed and it feels like a much more expensive and polished production. I’m not sure how I will feel about part two, but so far I’m really enjoying it.

I love Doctor Who and am eagerly waiting for the completion of series 6. I’m watching Torchwood on Netflix streaming and am only into series 2 now. That’t probably a good thing since I don’t have Starz. Perhaps by the time I get current, the wait won’t be too long before Miracle Day reaches Netflix.

Being part welsh (my fathers side is Welsh and I’m a proud welsh heritage kinda guy despite my cockney accent, I’m wearing my Welsh rugby shirt even now) loosing Gwen would be devistating and would just lead to complete americanisation of torchwood which on the whole is the adult version of Doctor Who (don’t forget Torchwood is a anogram of Doctor Who). The line of “If your england has to offer then I don’t have hight hopes for him” Reply – “I’m Welsh” has made the series for me,

I love torchwood and all things Doctor Who, I think the calaboration between BBC America and the normal BBC is a match made in heaven due to the funding it gives and the story telling of Mr. Russell T Davis who is simply the english Sigler :)

I hope in continues and that no major players get killed, I really hope we don’t loose Gwen who is a massively enjoyable character like we lost Yanto (proper Welsh valley name) in The Children of Earth.

Can’t wait to see both new seasons!

I’ve just watched my first ever episode of Dr. Who. I have both Dr. Who and Torchwood on my Netflix Watch Instant queue. I’m confident I’ll stick with it.

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Honestly, I’m not sure how I feel about seeing a new doctor. Gives an interesting little edge to when I start Season Two!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

My inner nerd is showing … BUT to be honest David Tennant is one of the universally liked doctors … my roommate even likes his seasons and he is NOT into Doctor Who. Ummm and David Tennant is Barty Crouch Jr in an early Harry Potter movie …

you will LOVE him!!!

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Already a few episodes into the new season and I’m definitely loving David Tennant!

It’s funny – I told my dad the other day I had started watching Doctor Who. He asked who played the doctor. I said (as it was at the time) Christopher Eccleston. Dad says “That’s not Doctor Who!” Tongue out

Dad’s doctor is Tom Baker (okay, in his words THE doctor is Tom Baker, but I hear that’s how it goes).

When he first put on the suit at the end of that first episode – that was one hell of an “Oooh, baby!!!” moment. I had a whole “ew” fest from Maeve after what I had to say about him! Wink

Only doing one season. For which he was rewarded by going on to play Destro. He did a great job of bringing the spirit of the old series into the new, but he passed the torch on to David Tennant in terms of defining the feel of the new series. You’ve got some interesting seasons ahead of you.

Doc

I was very intrigued getting into season two and thoroughly enjoyed the show; however I really didn’t make up my mind on David Tennant until the end of that season. I felt a little like he wasn’t quite sure how to play the role at first. Maybe it was in my mind, maybe it was putting the way Eccleston played it together with the way Tennant played it, maybe it had nothing to do with it at all. As an actor, I am more than impressed with him. I have definitely decided I like him as the Doctor. (And no, it’s not just because he’s hot and has a sexy accent Wink)

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, Two-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

…that is still my favorite. The most heart wrenching two part storyline I’ve watched in years. I’ve seen it close to a dozen times and it STILL makes me cry. Not just cry but sob!!

Season 2 was good, but in season 3 Tennant had his Doctor down pat and could proceed to just have fun with the role.

Doc

Anyone watching – what do you think?

We’re really enjoying it so far. (except for a scene or two)

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]
    Head Coach, Wabash Wolfpack

[flickr-photo:id=6000412196,size=m]

Husband of Susan, Friend of Junkies everywhere

Har!

And I’m sure there will be on subsequent viewings!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, Two-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

I think they’ve done a good job of capturing the feel of the BBC show. Some things are different because the action has moved to America, but it doesn’t have the feel of the BBC’s imagined version of America. They seem to have a good balance between the two cultures so far. Will be interesting to see how the characters develop through the season.

Doc

Where Chris Eccelston did dark really well, the playful side came off as a bit goofy. Tennant has a way of ensuring the playfulness comes off as a result of the character rather than just a silly moment happening. I think he also does old really well… the kind of old that shows they’ve seen and experienced too much. It’s all in the expression of the eyes…the young face but the old soul. He’s been the best of the three newer Doctors to pull this off. But best of all I think Tennant does angry really well. Some of my favorite moments are where he’s got the quiet angry thing going on. All around brilliant Doctor!

I am constantly impressed with all of the emotions he conveys and how convincingly he does so. You nailed it with the eyes. I love how every scene he is in; when he talks to someone he looks them right in the eye. Direct eye contact is surprisingly hard to find and I personally think it is sexy as hell.

It is hard to make direct eye contact and not come off as staring/glaring at someone.

Doc

I dated a guy once who pulled it off really well; it was one of his best qualities. Of course, I also went on a date once with a guy who crossed over into the psycho/stalker stare….

Starz is dropping it after this series is over. They have no love for it and basicly want to get back to doing sparticus and what not.

Undead Champion, HM and Pusher …. Start Cracking with Crack!

No power in the Verse can stop me.

Tongue out

You watched all three DT seasons AND his specials? Have you been popping No-Doz like they’re Pez with energy drink chasers? I agree with Bella. So … who is your favorite “companion/assistant”? Have you seen Torchwood yet? You’ve obviously seen Captain Jack … it’s a spin off with him as the team leader of an Earth bound team of … Would you call them alien hunters? IDK but it’s more intense than Who, more serious, more adult. I like it. I wish I could see the new series … Ennnnvvvvy!!

Or wait…maybe it’s that I need to be committed? Tongue out

I watched the Chris Eccleston series, plus all three Tennant series’, plus all the specials. Since that first episode I saw on July 24. All ready to start with Matt Smith next episode. Well, not emotionally ready, but in terms of which episode I’m up to… Wink

Besides – you’ll sleep when you’re dead!

so I know the scene Wink
    No 5 airs i the uk on Thursday. I’m finding the pace too slow. I hope something actually happens in number 5!!

…but the series actually holds up really well to multiple viewings. I recently rewatched the “Silence in the Library” which is a top five epsiode for me (Catherine Tate notwithstanding Undecided) and it wasn’t until the conclusion of the second part of that episode that I realized there was some foreshadowing to the Matt Smith era in it. Makes sense since those episodes were written by Stephen Moffat, who currently has the helm of the series. It’s really neat to go back and experience the epsiodes knowning some of what happens later. Definitely offers a different perspective.

once. Yeah, that is what usually happens when direct eye contact comes off as staring.

Doc

Go back and watch the shows in River Song’s order. Which may mean watching some episodes twice…

Doc

That you have the best and the worst of Tennant’s Doctor ahead of you.

Doc

But yeah, I don’t play around with the bullshit and the games. My best friend tells me I give the phrase “brutal honesty” a whole new meaning, but at least you know where you stand. And I see nothing wrong with refusing to settle for any less.

Of course, this from the girl who will inevitably die single… Maybe not the best approach after all, but I doubt I’ll change too much in that respect regardless.

This is one series I would be willing to own. Plus, I found some rather fun items on thinkgeek.com that Santa just might have to get for my stocking. Tongue out

I take it you are not a Catherine Tate fan?

I literally was lying in bed last night trying to fall asleep and thought “Crap, I never mentioned Torchwood!”

That is in my Netflix instant queue, but I haven’t started it yet.

That most women will tell you when you haven’t got a chance. They have no problems shooting a guy down to make him go away. But at the same time, they often fail to tell someone when he’s still in the running. They don’t want to overencourge someone and seem easy, or clingy, or overeager, or whatever, so they end up not giving any encouragement at all. So they guy goes away because he thinks she’s not interested, and she wonders why he never came back…

No problem with honesty, just need to be honest about everything.

Doc

…ok maybe not *that* much hate Tongue out

I suppose I was still pining for Rose and heart broken for Martha. I so wasn’t ready for the snark Catherine Tate brought. Rewatching season 4, I don’t feel quite as much angst as I first did but still… she’s no Rose.

I’ll do my River Song impersonation on the next Google+ hangout Laughing

excellent River Song!!

And duly noted.

It’s funny I was talking with a friend last night who is always giving her number out and then complaining that these annoying guys won’t stop calling her. I never give out my number. I’ll take a number, but I won’t offer mine in return. That way I never have to worry about unwanted phone calls. I never quite manage to bring myself to use any of the numbers I’ve ever gotten, but that’s it’s own issue, right?

I didn’t like Donna very much either at first, but she grew on me. I think her and Tennant’s Doctor had great comedic chemistry together.

I would have to say Martha is the one I like the least. Rose is definitely my favorite. I liked Donna for the lack of unrequited love feeling that pervaded Martha’s season. I think they did wonderful things with Martha as far as her being her own woman and having her own skills and talents to fight each new threat (not dependent on the doctor), but I could have done without all the “I love him and he doesn’t care” stuff. Donna had a huge dearth of confidence, but I liked the idea of him just out for a lark with a good friend.

I hated Donna in The Runaway Bride, but she was much less annoying in season 4.

Doc

I didn’t mind her so much in The Runaway Bride (that part looked like a heck of a lot of fun to play!) and had to adjust to her in season 4.

…and wow. They don’t let up on the cringe-worthy scenes! Love it!!

But more than digging the epsiode, I’m so excited that the previews for next week start intergrating the storyline from the “Torchwood: Web of Lies” (motion comic app) *squee*

She was all shouty, whiny, and demanding. In the series she got to be a lot more fun and develop some depth.

Doc

But yes, not so bad as in the special. Funnily enough, her lack of confidence in herself became very wearing on me.

I’ll be curious to see Maeve’s thoughts on each of the companions. She watched a handful of episodes with me as I made my way through the seasons and asked to watch the whole thing. I’m not quite ready for a new Doctor, so I we’ve started again so she can see them all. So far she likes Tennant better than Eccleston, but thinks Rose is a brat.

But that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Doc

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~ That Australian bitch with the stupid accent and all the subtlety of a splatterfart

I’m not sure I’m enjoying Miracle Day any more. As an entertaining TV show it still ticks all the boxes, but as Torchwood? Well…I recorded the most recent episode on Saturday and finally got around to watching it on Thursday. In between, I watched 20-year-old episodes of Inspector Morse and Jonathan Creek. That says it all, really.

I’ve been a massive Torchwood fan since the very first episode and I was SOOOO excited about it returning. Maybe I got *too* excited and expected too much from it? I don’t know what’s missing, but something is. I just don’t feel that Torchwood vibe.

Two major points of contention for me (not really spoilers, I hope):
    1) Jack appears to be gay. Jack is NOT gay! He comes from a time where traditional gender norms and sexual orientation don’t really exist. He’s had sex with men, women and various alien beings. His sexuality is not ‘gay’. His sexuality just *IS*. I haven’t seen him flirt with a single woman in this series – worse, they’ve completely written out the sexual tension between him and Gwen (and the rivalry between Jack and Rhys). I don’t like the way they’re portraying his new-found homosexuality, either. He used to be playful and cheeky. Now he’s a man-hungry sexual predator, hitting on every bloke within spanking distance. I don’t know why this bugs me so much, but it does. It’s taken away a large part of his charm. (I’m wondering how much influence, or lack thereof, RTD had on this aspect. Such a stereotypical gay character is sooo not his style!)

2) With every episode, it’s feeling more and more like a revamp of Children of Earth. Same concepts, same ‘moral’, slightly different execution. Anyone else feeling that?

Coming from the eight-year-old…. Wink

While Torchwood always had threads of moral struggle involving both humans and aliens (thinking specifically of Ghost Machine and Countrycide) I have to agree fully on your first point.

In the original series, Jack was described as “omnisexual”, even scoffing at the other members of TOrchwood when they used terms like gay and straight. The idea was that by the 51st century (his original timeline) that humans evolved past those types of sexual categorizations. I thought that was a brilliant concept and it was fun to see Jack being cheeky with no regard to gender or species (remember ChoThan from Doctor Who? Hilarious!). But this incarnation of Torchwood seems to have focused him on men… maybe it’s longing for Ianto? Maybe it’s knowing he can’t have Gwen? Maybe it’s RTD focusing Jack to much on one team versus the other… not sure. But I thought his chemistry with Gwen in the first season was an intriguing storyline and would love to see a bit of that tension return. And it would be great to bring back his flirty nature regardless of sex or species. That really set him apart from the other characters.

Not sure why they decided to go so over-the-top with the man-on-man scenes. Jack’s supposed to be an equal opportunity seducer!

But if you will remember, I think it was in the second series, they had a scene in Torchwood where Jack is going through photos of old lovers. All of these are pictures of him with men, except for one picture of Jack standing behind a woman in a wedding dress. To me the implication was that while Jack will sleep with anything, he pretty much only forms relationships with men. My theory is that the woman he married was someone he loved so deeply that the loss of her broke his heart. He can’t bring himself to build a relationship with another woman because of the memory of this lost wife.

Doc

Gifted to me … I just noticed that iTunes is currently downloading … Let’s Kill Hitler … kinda excited … I dont watch much tv … can’t remember last show I watched … huh … I think it was … Haven, a week or so ago … so … the one downfall of cheaper DSL … slow downloads … 4 hours … I guess I COULD do homework … I prolly should … hmph … still … sorta impatient for the download …

….with him exclusively dating men – many bisexual folk lean more towards one sex when it comes to forming relationships. My problem is that, as you said, Jack will usually “sleep with anything”. I’m just not getting the feeling that he would in this series.

Somewhat OT, but I read something a while back suggesting American audiences were uncomfortable with (on screen) bisexuality. It said bisexual characters were perceived as indecisive, dishonest or wanton – none of which being qualities you’d want a role model or ‘strong’ character to have – so bisexuality is generally reserved for ‘bad guys’ and portrayed as a character flaw. The only way bisexual leads can redeem themselves is by eventually choosing one sex and sticking with it (and entering into a longterm monogamous relationship), in which case their bisexuality is treated as a defect or obstacle that they heroically managed to overcome. I notice it a bit in Australian TV shows, too, but I do see it a lot in American productions.

Do you guys think that’s true? Do American audiences prefer their leads to be straight or gay, with no grey areas? Not being judgemental – I’m just really into queer politics and I know a few of you share my passion. Also, it would be interesting to know in case I ever publish a global best-seller with uber-queer characters. :p

Remember his first few appearances in Doctor Who? He flirted with everything in sight! It was a running joke that he couldn’t even look at someone without hitting on them, or at least saying something loaded with sexual innuendo. Now he only has eyes for the boys… which is great and all, but it’s just not Jack.

In the past, he also encouraged the Torchwood members to embrace the fluidity of sexuality whenever they had an unexpected experience with the same sex (and/or alien!), which is something I always loved and admired about Torchwood. ALL of the central cast messed with someone of the opposite sex at some point and it was TOTALLY OK. I don’t think I’ve seen that scale of sexual permissiveness in any TV show, ever!

I said before that I didn’t know why Jack’s sudden exclusive homosexuality bugged me, but I think that might be it. Torchwood was a really positive ‘celebration’ of alternative desires and sexualities, but the new series has forced everyone into a neat little gay or straight box. While I’m glad that Jack is still unashamedly attracted to men, and that Starz is not afraid to show graphic man-on-man action, it has a whiff of what I just said to Doc, above – of Jack ‘redeeming’ himself by choosing one sex and sticking with it. Not cool.

That given the fact that homosexuality is a “hot” issue politically, Jack, as a character, is playing up the man-on-man action in his flirting and innuendo because it is an easy way to throw the Americans off balance. For all that Captian Jack Harkness is supposed to be an American, his values and attitudes are much more European.

If Starz is influencing the depection of the character for the series, it is more likely that they are downplaying Jack’s flirting with women in order to gain more viewers among the gay community. I don’t buy the notion of gays being accepted and bisexuals being indecisive, etc. Anything that isn’t straight will have about the same effect on the American Audience. In many ways we still are impacted by our puritanical roots.

Doc

I like the writer … when it started out I didnt think I was going to like it … but by the end I did …

In fact, the only flaw I’d give it is that it reveals too much.

Doc

However that would suggest that the Estelle — from the Series 1 Episode 5 (Small Worlds) — would have to have been that same woman in the photo…else Estelle would count as at least his second marriage. Difficulty is, so much of Jack’s world is unknown. He was born in the 51st century, jumped timelines as a Time Agent, jumped times as a “freelancer” and then standed in the 1800′s. It’s feasible that he could have been married several times ( to a man, woman or alien) and we just don’t know about it yet.

I think the problem is continuity. I agree with Del that it was established early on that Jack came from a time and place that didn’t believe in labels on sexuality. That’s further enforced by Capt. John’s (James Marsters’) character, as he’s even finding Poodles desirable.

Season 1 Episode 3 (Ghost Machine) solidified the desire between Gwen and Jack, and then it was reinforced all the way through season 2 to when Gwen is getting married. Again I have to think is a reminance of the Ianto storyline that Jack’s focus remains on men. And as Del also mentioned…there’s nothing wrong with it… the problem is with continuity and I’d hate to see them sacrifice long term story continuity by placing an over-emphasis on male relationships now.

I think they coulda shared some of that character development over a couple episodes and had some more about Hitler in there … the actual Hitler portion of the story was about 30 seconds … I still liked how it wrapped up and the story as a whole was good. I’m thinking it’s time for a change in assistants .. I like Amy and Rory … but their story feels like its about over. I am open minded about anything SM wants to write … I will definitely watch. I wouldn’t mind Captain Jack showing up with the next assistant.

I think it is hilarious that Rory is pretty much more bad-ass than The Doctor now, but everyone expects him to be just a nebbish, so he plays that part. The Doctor may be a 900 year old Time Lord and brilliant, but Rory has over 2000 years of experience to draw on. He’s capable, just insecure.

Doc

She was sooo mad at that episode. She couldn’t believe how “horrible and awful and mean” those people were. I almost didn’t want to explain that most of humanity is just about that bad. It was quite an experience for me as a mom, I can tell you that!

one of my favorite episodes. And one of Tennant’s best. Actually, the last few episodes of that season are all favorites of mine.

Stolen Planet and Journey’s End were two of my DT favorites! We probably all remember feeling like Maeve! Experience with mean people, sucks.

and he’s still insecure. Hee Hee! I love his character!

Midnight was definitely top ten in my Doctor Who episodes. 1) Because there’s very little Catherine Tate (ha!) and 2) because you’re absolutely right about most of humanity being the way those people were. This episode is situated in the same place for 99% of the epsiode and completely depends on the actors to convey (believably) the descent into “mob mentality”. Very well excuted with an amazing supporting cast (even though they aren’t recognizable actors). And as usual, Tennant was astonishing in this episode.

Probably the thing I liked best was it showed a harsh truth in the way humans treat each other when the noramlcy of society breaks down. The storyline is also unforgiving… it doesn’t necessarily end happily … there are consequences for people’s actions and everyone invovled is forever changed because of the experience. Simply brilliant storytelling.

But you hate to see them find out! Of course, I’m the mom who told her 2-year-old how sorry she was that this was the world she would inherit. I wish I could give her something better.

I liked it! I was definitely creeped out! It seems like they are returning to a show that intends to scare the pants off little kids? Just a random observation. I love the show.

OMG! I never saw the Patrick Troughton episodes but … I am quite the Sci-Fi nerdling cuz the first thing I thought when I saw the name of this “extra” 10 minute video just now was … The Doctor, Sara Jane Smith and Harry Sullivan … Revenge of the Cybermen … LOL except for the teeth this rendition is cuter LOL can’t wait! Ugh … yeah … studying …. g’nite …

I waiting to watch Miracle Day!!

She doesn’t want a new doctor. She apparently decided to go back to the beginning again. My father let her watch 6 straight hours of Doctor Who while I was at work yesterday!! I’ve created a monster!

…the creating the monster bit. Tongue out But tell her it’ll be ok. I didn’t want a new Doctor either but she has to give him a chance. I think she’ll enjoy the 1st episode of the new season quite a bit and maybe that’ll help her with the transition.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo AND I’m [REDACTED]‘s [REDACTED]!!!!!. * *

He was guarding a box for most of those 2000 years.

Doc

Still waits for me on the DVR.

Doc

It was ok. The end was sad :o(

For what might have been.

Doc

Is it holding up?

and she is gonna have a british accent … and a sonic …

WHO’S seen it and dang if I wasn’t just talking about that! No spoilers … I cant wait to see the next episode to see if it was a TEEZ or what!!

She already uses ‘telly’, ‘crisps’, and ‘chips’ in her everyday speech! My dad says I’m going to spoil her for American boys. He says she’ll never be happy with anything less than an accent now. Tongue out

I personally think the last 2 dragged a little and got a little bit silly. The [RETRACTED] looked like a big [RETRACTED] and made me laugh.

literally. :D

Doc

It’s the [spolier removed] of the [spolier removed] :P

I just saw an advert for Matt Smith doing a signing for the season 6 dvd release. I still haven’t finished the second half of the season. Cry

And as much as I adore River Song, it is totally killing me not to know all the secrets revealed in the last half of the season. I must find time to get those watched and off the dvr!

About both of these shows and i would love to watch them its just when am i supposed to have the time to start Dr. Who from the beginning? There are 26 Seasons just from 63-89 and then Series 1 & 2, then i would have to watch Torchwood (you know all 4 sereies) before starting Series 3 (i think thats what she said) and on top of that there are 2 movies from the 60′s and 1 from the 90′s.

Ohh and David Yates confirmed this year that he is making another Doctor Who movie, supposed to come out 2013-2014, but it wont be continuation, instead it will be a whole new approach to the idea.

Thats alot of TV to watch. 36 seasons/series and 3 full length movies. WOW

The Books of Sigler that i Own: EarthCore(2005) | |Ancestor(2007) | | Infected | | Contagious | | Ancestor(2010) | | The Rookie | | The Starter | | The All-Pro | | Blood is Red | | Nocturnal (Pre-Order) | | {+ I bought a copy of all the above for my dad

Join the military as a cook and get deployed. It would give you plenty of time to catch up. I watched 386 movies and 32 seasons of different tv shows I like. Yes, I had plenty of time to myself…
    24 hours – 10 hours of cooking – 8 hours of sleeping – 1 hour for internet and calls home = 5 hours of free time with no tv and nowhere to go. Read for a couple, workout for one and I still had 2 hours for movies/tv dvd’s. That also implies I slept a whole 8 hours…more likely 6-8 which just gives more dead time. See all you need to do is join the military…YAY ARMY!!! Combat Cook

Being diagnosed with ADHD makes it so that initially i cant join any military service

The Books of Sigler that i Own: EarthCore(2005) | |Ancestor(2007) | | Infected | | Contagious | | Ancestor(2010) | | The Rookie | | The Starter | | The All-Pro | | Blood is Red | | Nocturnal (Pre-Order) | | {+ I bought a copy of all the above for my dad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.