This topic contains 58 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of J.P. J.P. 6 years, 1 month ago.

The Zombie Thread

I liked this one enough to buy a copy. I haven’t seen the sequel yet though–it’s in the Netflix queue.

– “Everything takes longer than it does.” -Me

enough to keep watching what he does. Pulp Fiction made me laugh my ass off. And I loved both Kill Bill movies. Reservoir Dogs rocks. Wait, the list keeps going…yeah, I guess I qualify for liking his stuff. Death Proof is in the queue to rent!

We tried to get a buddy in Hollywood to take a look at her for such sinister parts. They did. Then there was a writer’s strike. Now you know the rest of the story… My bad. In fact, it caused such a shock wave that the actors will probably strike this Fall out of mere fear that they might have to work with her. Again, my bad.

you have to be tall enough to put your money on the counter or they won’t rent to you. Or is that to buy booze at the local joint? Dang, I can’t remember. Either way, you’ll get there soon!

Death proof is typical QT not straight forward twisted and odd to a degree not bad to watch for a timewaster but planet terror did realy nothing for me 

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

Not bad has Bruce Willis in it.

["No matter where you go, there you are"] – And Sigler always knows where there is!

With that kind of ugly she sounds like she could be a super villian!

but to take a guess, Planet Terror since death proof is about car killing.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Did any of you see Tarantino and Rodriguez’s movies Death Proof and Planet Terror? I haven’t seen them yet, but seem to remember at least one of them involves zombies. Worth renting???

You have it right. Jesus is the only one who’s going to protect you from the Wicked Witch of the East. Sleep well, young man.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

No way, Jose. It would put a bunch of folks in the hospital and shut the website (if not the whole World Wide Web) down. I won’t be held responsible for causing that kind of craptastrophy. (Yes, I said craptastrophy on purpose.) Trust me on this. Hey wait a minute! Be right back; I need to go write an Obsidian episode…

– Everything takes longer than it does.

Aughra is pretty close. She’d look a lot like this if you cleaned her up a bit (with a belt sander and a pressure washer loaded with harsh chemicals), put her in some fancy clothes, colored her hair a little lighter, and put her in some fancy clothes (for her). Finally, filter the picture through some sort of protective algorithm and there you go!

– Everything takes longer than it does.

hopefully it isn’t something to awful to make even the FDO flinch.

G-Man

Yes, JP….with your descriptions I’ve envisioned some one like:

Aughra: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjwellman/2729339385/

or Skesis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cjwellman/2729339359/in/photostream/

Tongue out

then I thought if she is as horrible as he says then I wouldn’t really want to.

G-Man

let’s see som pictures…. or would that be to horrible… Tongue out

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

Let me introduce you to my aunt…

– Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt. (I have jerks like you for breakfast.)

G-Man

So I’ve read "Bloodsucking Fiends" and "You Suck" by Christopher Moore and thought they were just brilliant…witty writing, engaging characters and funny circumstances.  So not really knowing waht to expect, I picked up a copy of "The Stupidest Angel" written by the same author.  It has the look of an innocuous Christmas tale but I am now three quarters of the way through the book when the author reveals…..it’s a Zomie story!

Unexpected and completely freakin’ funny but still oddly creepy.  If you fancy a comedic zombie story give it a try … I’m totally enjoing it!

I’ve read about these multiple times when they descend upon many popular stores and landmarks. They sound pretty fun. Definitely would be a zombie hunter though.

As a pittsburgh native I grew up with zombies Romero style. Pittsburgh is the home of the zombie walk. Last year over 200 zombies descended upon the south side and staggered through the streets, leering through the windows at the fresh meat in the restaurants, coffee shops, and bars. There were old zombies, young zombies, even a few zombie babies, zombie dogs, zombie hunters, etc. The next morning all the plate glass fronts were smeared with zombie blood. Monroeville Mall, site of the original Dawn of the Dead, set the world record for biggest zombie walk. If you ever get the chance to attend one of these, go. And remember, in a zombie situation short hair and tight clothes are your friend. Some good B films are Dead Alive and The Necrofiles. Gotta love a priest doing a flying kung fu kick and screaming “I kick ass for the Lord!”

Here’s a song from my band, more about making a frankenstein than zombies but still fun.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHLuKPmBZOI

As for the cultural impact, I think there probably is one.

I’m curious as to the history of the burial of the dead in the West. You could make the hypothetical case that the casket is designed to keep some potential something inside, as opposed to any preservative effect it might be imagined to have.

It seems like other societies may have viewed death somewhat differently than we do, from lighting the dead on fire on a raft on the water, to leaving the dead out in the open for nature to take care of, to mummification.

Cremation is another option that’s becoming more prevalent in our society now, which would seem to be a complete destruction of the dead body.

I think there’s some fear of the dead that’s built into us as a society, and that part of that fear is that That Thing That Shouldn’t Move suddenly will and what then?

And how many “that”s can I fit into one sentence, huh? That’s an award-winner, that is….

Even if yo ucan outhink and outrun. THey’ll still get you by sheer numbers.

28 Days is on the ol’ satellite at the mo, and I’ve been listening to Zombie Survival Guide at work. Max Brooks’ Zombie work is interesting because he creates this world infested with zombies, inserts a historical perspective, and then draws you into it. Its like listening to a World War II documentary gone horribly wrong for humanity.

So here’s a question to run up your collective flagpole:

Which do find creepier, the George Romero slow-movin’ variety or the more modern MTV-style herky-jerky runnin’ kind? Or for that matter, the old Universal voodoo-style zombie?

I’m a sucker for the Night-of-the-Living-Dead, They’re-Coming-To-Get-You-Barbara, but-they’re-comin’-kinda-slow, so-just-take-your-time sort.

They always seem to catch up, don’t they?

…maybe there’s some kinda moral there…or not….

That’s a Great Song… :)

Jonathan Coulton has a really funny zombie related song named “Re: Your Brains”. It was used in Patrick McLean’s podcast novel How to Succeed in Evil. Its a pretty amusing take on zombie logic.

* If you want to hear it click here to go to Jonathan’s website.
    * Look under the heading of 4 Most Popular
    * Click on the play button next to the song titled Re: Your Brains

Enjoy!

Land of the dead was a decent movie. You get to see how it unfolds when the Zombies ‘Learn’ their weaknesses and strengths.

Die you zombie bastards. Has anyone else seen that one. I liked it, was super cheesy, but hillarious. the two 28 … later movies are my favs, but I havn’t seen the Resident evils, and I have the original Romero films in Queue, I know I really liked the original Night of the living dead. the Return of the living deads got too silly for me. Kinda the way Nightmare on elmstreet went. The seriously trying to be scary ones are funny enough on there own, they need to add intentional funny. I don’t find Zombies scary at all, though I did walk a little faster from the car to the house when I got home 3 in the morning from watching 28 days later. I like that they make killing humans justified cause if you don’t they kill you. That is the fun of zombies. I also love the Zombie survival guide. I love how they made it all real like. good stuff. I liked the ones in passenger cause they were zombie like but still maintained intelegent thought, that made them more dangerous. they could trac you and use weapons. which i have heard happens in the land of the dead, which i am looking foward to seeing.

Did you watch 28 weeks later? it was really good too. Can’t wait till 28 months later.

zombies rock woooooooooooo

Not true zombies, But I guess they’ll be as far as Sigler goes with Z’s

If you own shaun of the dead check the music in the credits its all zombie related music.

Avatar of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

Passenger. Thats all I have to say.

By the way, Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I love ‘em as long as there’s a good story to float the film! No point in simply rehashing what’s already been done.

28 Days Later, Resident Evil series and Shaun of the Dead are my current faves in the genre.

A college buddy of mine is involved with the screenplay on the remake of Day of the Dead. I hope to see it out in theatres this Spring rather than the direct to DVD release that’s being considered by the studio…

————
    KnitWitch
    http://www.knitwitchzone.com

Zombies DO taste good though.

“The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles.”

Don’t like zombies, too much like my out-of-their-minds drunk & ill parents. Booze + psychotic mental illness is a drag to live with.

But NOCTURNAL totally ROCKS!

s13cybergal, an OJ with a walker.
    You can’t forget that Scott!

Yeah I definately will, check out the cover too.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/MitchB1990/LifevDeathCover.jpg

email it to me when your done!

Lots of fiber, but I just like the flavor.

“The spread of evil is the symptom of a vacuum. whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles.”

But Sigler should definitely write a Zombie or Apocalyptic novel. I Know I’m working on a short story about zombies and will probably post it when I’m done.

Avatar of Christopher P. Kearney

The Irishman from Ohio"I never Get to Get it!"-Wacko Warner
    The first Resident Evil script for the silver screen was written by Romero. The producers did not like it so it was given to someone else. A friend of mine got a copy of it. I liked it as much as Return of the Living Dead. I was a dumb azz and erased my copy of it.

Who doesn’t luv Teh zombies?
    Check out the novel The Rising, City of the dead and Dead sea by Brian Keene
    WHEN IS THE ETERNAL OVERLORD SIGLER(High One be praised!) gonna write a living dead apocalypse novel?

But what kind of nutritional value is there?

Both are extremely fascinating reads. Also there is a bit of humor spread throughout them too!

I think the zombie thing has been pretty well played out in the movies. The only recent zombie movie that I have enjoyed was Shaun of the Dead.

I may go pick up World War Z, though. I’ve heard good things about it in several different places. Maybe I can get interested in zombies again through books.

Agreed, then.
    Never saw a Resident Evil film. I just like close-up shotgun blasts in the game. Send a couple Zombies a-reelin’. Angus Kewl would be proud.

–kevin

If you enjoy zombies check out the book by Max Brooks entitled “World War Z”.

Basic premise is the near annihliation of humans on Earth by a fast spreading zombie virus. Less frightening in the “jump-out-and-scare-you” kind of way and more of a cautionary story of what could go seriously wrong in a situation like this. Very well thought out and creepy.

There was a two day long zombie festival in town this weekend, but, unfortunately, I couldn’t go. I do love me some zombies.

Let’s all agree that he is a bad-ass and knew what he was doing. As for the Resident Evil movies, they are pretty good, but getting a bit far out there for just Zombies because they have mutants too.

I love apocyliptic fiction, and zombies are the best of it.

Love,

Zac Scott, Dictator for life of The Crumpet Society for the Advancement of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Tea

I’ll take zombies attacking a farm house, ravenging a mall, or even wrecking a chruch….
    In my mind, Romero perfected the genre and spawned some fairly good imitators. 28 Days Later and the troubles that befall Raccoon City come close. Nothing like blowing away zombies as RCPD officer, Leon.

Culturally, though I don’t think they have much impact. You don’t see people encasing corpses in concrete when we bury our dead. Zombies are an interesting diversion. Heck, most of the time you can outrun them.

Movie-wise, I’d rather have a good psychological thriller like The Ring, but wide-spread devastation will do in a pinch (a la The Stand)

–kevin

Zombies Are Good.Eat your Fucking Face Off Good.

I love zombie movies, and books. The best part of zombies is that they’re human, but not. So usually the main characters have to deal with the moral dilemma of killing another human, but once it passes it’s GONE, just like all the zombie brains. And I have to appreciate any movie or book that has a novel way of dealing with the Zombie drawback of being ludicrously slow. Either way it’s always apocalyptic and who doesn’t get a kick out of that?

Yeah, zombies definitely rule. my favorite classic zombie film is Return of the Living Dead. It is so hilarious!

Although more times than not Zombies are used for comedic purposes they still kick ass..lol

I came across a song by Jonathan Coulton called Your Brains and a video that was produced around the song by DragonConTV. Its fricken hilarious and you should definately check it out if Zombies are your thing :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlznuyPOeM

You can also hear more of his songs at http://www.jonathancoulton.com/ some of them are pretty funny.

Other then the movie shaun of the dead I find most zombie movies to be kind of pointless entertaining but like where does it go? You survive for a while and eventually starve. Like eventually the problem would spread to livestock and the world would be to unstable to farm, you could survive maybe your whole life on canned food but what kind of life would it be? But they are entertaining like your always on edge, you never know whats going to be affected and like when is a struggle for survival never entertaining. Theres some great zombie stuff on pseudopod.

I pretty much love anything that has to do with them. Books, Videos/Movies, Games, Etc. They are pretty much a staple for any horror fan, I’m curious as to what other people think about them and their cultural impact. Post your thoughts and comments!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.