This topic contains 167 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Joseph Cartwright Joseph Cartwright 4 years ago.

THE STARTER: What sub-plots are you looking for? FDO™ wants to know

Junkies, if you’re reading this, it’s because you’re in deep here at scottsigler.com. You are the die-hards, the regulars. I’m working on THE STARTER as we speak, and I want to know what story elements you want to see.

Of course Quentin will continue looking for his family. That’s a given. But what other sub-plots caught your interest? For example: 

• What will happen with Quentin spurning the offer of the Jupiter Jacks? 
    • Is Yassoud’s gambling habit going to cause issues?
    • Will Gredok punish Quentin for the human’s insubordination? 
    Here’s your spot to wonder aloud. No plot point is too small to discuss here.

Going to stay on the team as backup and mentor to QB

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

Don Pine is still on the roster. Word from his agent is that he is reporting to training camp, although the rumor mill says that Krakens head coach Hokor the Hookchest is going to name Quentin Barnes as the starting quarterback for the season opener against the Isis Ice Storm. 

I would be interested in seeing more of the behind the scene politics of football. Things like holdouts, contract negotiations and determining who is the league MVP. Also, can you bring Pookie Chang forward in time to be an announcer/sports commentator for the league? :o)

"I tried to stand up and fly straight, but it wasn’t easy with that sumbitch in the White House. I dunno. They say he’s a decent man, so maybe his advisors are confused."

I would like to see some more of Quentin’s background.  Maybe something with his parents or distant relative that tries to influence him to do what they want for their benifit not because they want a relationship.

Glad that Don Pine is gonna be in the book, but to what extent? Will he taking on a coaching role? Mentoring the youngsters and acting as a mediator between the different races who make up the team? 

I think that we should not find out too much about Quentin’s family too soon.

There’s plenty of time – maybe a hint here and there. 

I really enjoy the interplay between the different species and how that is resolved on the field and off…Tsolo888 <AKA Cpt. Travis Ellis> – Out

I would love to hear more about the ruggedly handsome and extremely charismatic head coach of The Wabash WolfPack. I mean, it’s been 14 years since they’ve won the Galaxy Bowl and I, for one, think they are due and more than deserve to make another run at the title. They have a 1-1 record against the Ionath Krakens and it’s time to settle once and for all which one is the better team.  We all know that it comes down to coaching. And the Leader of The WolfPack is undeniably a better coach than that fur ball Quyth, Hokor the Hook-Chest, ever thought about being.

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]
    Head Coach: Wabash Wolfpack

Some of the science of The Crypt applied to the GFL. Maybe something like Mitchell Fayed’s brain being put into a cloned body, or a Heavy-G body or something like that. Not technically a body mod, so probably legal by Creterakian standards, but maybe not very ethical.

I’d also like to see the conquest of a new race that results in a new type of player, that may end up squeezing out an established race’s foothold. For instance, something that jumps higher than Sklorno, or is harder to move around than Ki. Perhaps ideally, some newly conquered race that is ideally suited to the (seemingly) human-dominated quarterback position.

BigJohn

I’m curious what potential confrontations will arise from Quentin refusing to throw games as part of a deal to join the To Pirates…

Pete, this church is already brewing in Sklorno space. I agree, it would be interesting to see how this church grows alongside Quentin’s career. 

to be the beginning of a romance between Barnes and Scarborough. :-)

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

More terrorist consequences from Purist Nation attacks. I don’t recall my timeline exactly, but if there’s as much Purist Nation terrorism going around as it seems from The Crypt, I would have a hard time believing they wouldn’t target such a massive affront to their religion as the multi-species media bonanza that is the GFL.

BigJohn

…Tsolo888 <AKA Cpt. Travis Ellis> – Out

Assuming there is a papparazi in the Rookie universe, wouldn’t it be possible that the tabloids would be all over the new Starter? Even more so, the tabloids would love to run stories of a romantic trist after a drunken night out. Now, lets say there is an article printed showing some kind of relationship between Quinten and  another race, heavy G or blue skin for example.

This would enfuriate the purest nation because one of thier own is loving one of the sub-races. This rumor could cause hate and possibly death threats to our hero.  

Just saying that interspecies intercouse could be possible.Wink

There is the standard offence vs. defence rivalries that do exisit.  However as an old offensive tackle, there were the running backs I wanted to block till my legs broke then there was the glory grabbing a$$es that I wanted to let the Defensive tackle right on by to knock the running back to the dirt.  Many times there was the one reciver who would score a touchdown after the o-line would give 8-9-10-11 seconds of solid pocket protection, you would get the "look what I did".

So I would like to see some inter-team skill positions(Glorry Grabbing) vs. line (get it done) positions. 

Brett

The relationship between Barnes and Greedok got sprained pretty hard at the end of the Rookie.  I think that has to develop. 

I also think that Quentin would probably get into a bad relationship at this stage, learn a bit about what NOT to look for in a woman.

[-Seth Hanisek, Fullback, Woo Wallcrawlers (#152, p171 bitches!)]

Glancing through some of the ideas below, I love the idea of Quentin dating interacially. I think him dating a Sklorno is pushing his character a bit far, but you’ve already foreshadowed his attraction to blue skinned females. The reaction of the Purist nation to that could create some awesome tension/conflict.

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

I would be surprised if the FDO hasn’t already formulated this story line. …Tsolo888 <AKA Cpt. Travis Ellis> – Out

Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Wow. There are some really interesting ideas in this thread. I think my favorite would have to be more backstory to the John/Ju competition, but I like all the ideas. Though I’m not sure about dating. In Tier 1, would the team still be traveling a lot? I think maybe a fling or one night stand or something might be more realistic (of course, still with another race – I like the idea of a blue-skinned girl). But that’s just me. As for any other sub-plots – … I’m drawing a blank. I’ll have to think on it. xD

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Do I have to stop this car? There is no such thing as "Siglerotica" and there never will be. And there sure isn’t going to be any interspecies Siglerotica!!

Hell yeah, I agree with this and have been looking forward to showing more of John Tweedy for years. He’s awesome, one of my favorite characters. Maybe we will see why he and his brother hate each other so much!

BConklin, this is good stuff. I think I actually created the Krakens without any glory hogs on the team. Who knows? Maybe the early success will go to Quentin’s head. Heck, pro football success going to a kid’s head? That would never happen in real life. 

And the masses want alien asses!Tongue out

He’s one of my favorite characters in The Rookie. I’m excited to hear more on him!

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Interspecific Siglerotica? I’ll come back to to this when I can calm my laughter. Interspecific Siglerotica. That was awesome.

Look, love the action- I’m a diehard football fan.  But I’m such a diehard I’ve gotten to the point where I’m loving the history of today’s game (who was th big deal in college in this period, or NLF in that period)- well for me I want to learn about the beginnings of how this league came together- yes you started it in The Rookie- but I mean who is the GFL’s version of the inventor of the Rooney Rule so to speak (some one had to break off from the purists).  Their Bud Adams and Lamar Hunt? Their Tony Dungy? This may not thrill everyone, but it will build a more in-depth universe.

Is handling "defectors" of a sort. Like here in the US, we have lots of Cuban players who defect to the US to play baseball. There may be some really talented players of some of the subjugated races that are, perhaps, hiding out on Quyth irradiated worlds, but want to play on teams. Fugitives, as it were.

Or what about Galactic Olympics? Maybe there are some GFL players who want to compete in the Galactic Olympics, and have trouble getting out of contracts or finding sponsorship or some such silly nonsense. Can you imagine the Heavy-G clean-and-jerk? The sklorno high-jump?

I also thought it would be interesting if there a heavy-G woman that played for the Krakens who got a crush on Quentin (so to speak). Someone he couldn’t get away from.

This is fun!

BigJohn

What if one of the players finds the stress of Tier 1 too much to handle and either seriously considers some sort of body mod (as in, is maybe caught looking at body mod information or is seen by teammates right before they plan on getting a body mod or something similar) or actually does get a body mod?

How would you like to see a history of GFL champions, in an insert that shows a one-page profile of all 22 Tier One franchises? 

Maybe some of the high ranking official are visiting one of the luxury boxes or an owner’s box.

More Tweedy. Even if its just for making up new tattoo sayings!

I just want to know what they did with cloning in the future, because I desperately want to see a glimpse of a Perry Dawsey clone giving Q a big hit.

Any chance of some battles going on in the universe at the same time and some tension between the fans of the home planets and specific players due to race?  I am thinking some hockey level fan participation!

I know you don’t want to get into the erotica but a passing reference to Warburg getting some alien tail and having to sit out a game while the anibiotics do their work might be fun! :) 

Just do what you do and it will be great! 

but I agree that QB should be getting some tail!  A little sex never hurt anybody, right?!?!?!

Pusher & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Do you mean one page per franchise???

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease?!?!?!?!?!?

WallyJJ, I’m sorry to inform you that in the Siglerverse, Dead = Dead. We will not be seeing a certain former linebacker from the University of Michigan. And if you saw his "clone," it would be a completely different person — this isn’t Aliens 4 where a drop of blood somehow recreates a person complete with memories and a parasite that was in the person’s chest.

However, Warburg having to get a shot in the ding-ding? Priceless.  

that would be most excellent

i’m down with the hockey fan mentality, but maybe even carry it further and bring in some ‘hooliganism’

some reckless behavior never hurts anyone  :-)…although if it did that would be interesting too

Dead=Dead, except in Title Fight. Wink But I will accept Nuked=Dead.

M. Night Shot-his-wad

Quentin makes millions, the other guys make even more, (especially with what they can carry in their backpacks), but the only thing we ever see them buy is beer.  Oh, got it. What else is there? 

M. Night Shot-his-wad

M. Night has a point….  There’s always an exception to the rule!!!!  Even in the Siglerverse!!

There were some species mentioned in the rookie, such as the Wittauch, Liki and dolphins that were never even described, much less playing a part in the series. I’d like to see some more of them. Maybe some giver references as well.

SLASH Tongue out

And hightlight reel plays from each of the teams’ histories… a la Franco Harris and the "Immaculate Reception" of.. well I can’t think of one for the GD Detroit Lions, sorry.

was getting interested in the blue chicks in the last book… c’mon –just a little of the nasty. Maybe the decendant of Pookie Chang could elaborate on the 27th century version of the Chang Bang. Do they still have Hula Hoops?

Or start being a whinny baby like some QB I coud name (cough – Farve – cough, cough)

Just like on ESPN. It would work itself nicely into an episode of its own, Preseason show to highlight rookies and vet players, An episode 1/3 way through the season to recap and look at whos on top and who needs to make big changes. 2/3 of the way through whos in the playoffs and who can still make it. And the big game show of the matchup. Perfcect place to add team history into the mix, and the politics that float around the GFL.

I would like to see more of Tweedy and his temper, I think it could work with Yassoud’s gambling problem and Quentin finding himself Star and a known name around the Galaxy.

Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly)

Dark Knight Marine General

Jayguana

You cover how the Creterakians scan for body-mods at the Combine as rookies come into the league. What about players who are tempted to get mods after they’re already there?

Say to keep their speed or enhance their strength? Easy parallel to modern day steroid usage.

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

I think the Krakens need to bring in a Bill Parcels type to bring up their level of play.  Of course he’s a serial killer too!

"We’re gonna need a bigger boat!"

I second the Warburg action. I can’t believe I almost forgot about him!

I remember wanting to know more about them from the first book. I second this idea, too.

oddly enough, is a Human/Dolphin team? Not sure quite how to interpret the GFL website description. But I’m sure we’ll get more info on that!

BigJohn

I’d really like to see Quentin have dinner with the ki. Or perhaps have him end up at one of the skalorno prayer meetings. Okay, so the prayer meeting might not happen, but I’d still like him to associate with some of the ki and skalorno players on a more personal level. In the Rookie, he mostly talks to humans or the quyth.

interesting thought.  ’tis the steriod era. i could dig the blackmarket of mods

That would rock!

…Tsolo888 <AKA Cpt. Travis Ellis> – Out

It was more like an Illusion of death = death. It was a ruse to fool the officials into thinking the Heretic was actually dead by placing him in a death like coma.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]  KISS’d by Sigler Honored recipient of the "Iron Man" Award. Pusher twice over.

UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

I would also be down for seeing what the GFL trophy looks like or possibly a collection of previous Galaxy Bowl championship rings. (I’m into that sorta thing).

the trick to staying sane is to just out-crazy the world

I would definitely want to see more of the various criminal syndicates surrounding the GFL.  Perhaps even underground football games, where the players have illicit body modifications.  

Avatar of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

I don’t know if anyone else asked this, But I for one would love to see how Quentin’s interaction with the Ki members on the team will take shape in the STARTER. Will Quentin learn to speak Ki? Will he dine with them? Some interesting posibilities.

"Top Gunners gun from the top, mutherfucker!"

Oh, that might qualify as Siglerotica.

Guess we can scratch that idea Cry

C’mon! This is the Siglerverse! Of course we heckle.

Yeah, Scott loves to get input from his fans.

Register and he’ll even read your name in an upcoming podcast.

Participate regularly and you might even get your name in a future story. Don’t believe me? What do you think those badges are all about?

As an Earthbound human, you see the word ‘dolphin’ and can only think of what you know of the dolphins on this planet. Imagine a world where dolphin-like beings (dolphinoids) evolved in a much different way. Think of true amphibian dolphins. The speed, grace and power like earth dolphins, but with arms and legs.That, my friend, would make a simply amazing race of backs to have to contend with, both on offense and defense.

Just me thinking sideways.

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]
    Head Coach

Wabash Wolfpack

but could they juke around a gill net?

Good idea! Q having to force some blood down his throat or something? I definitely want to hear about that when it happens. If I recall correctly, he never forced any of the other species’ food down his throat in The Rookie, so it’d be interesting to see him squirm with the ki.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Of all the alien races mentioned in The Rookie, the one I’ve always been most intrigued about is the Dolphins. I can’t wait to learn more about them!

Some Rookie nookie or some sklorno porno. I also reckon it would be good to have some kind of out of game brawl between the krackens and the wolfpack.

getting their comuppance or handing out some extreme justice.

I would like to see more of how the Purist Nation is exposied as the racist nation that it is. Leading Quintien to become THE national Hero that he will become with the Krakens. Ahh, Fuck, Scott, just write a real good story.

I can’t imagine something like that could ever happen.

Look, if you’re already fluent in Klingon and looking to add another language, this ain’t the place. I say them damn Ki need to learn to speak English! There will be no full-on Ki dialogue by Quentin.

Press 1 for English

Press 2 for Spanish

Press 3 for Ki …

The sub-plot developed on that Sklorno receiver. Remember the one? Named for Hutchins, TX? Something about how their left arm gets torn off during one of the games, and one of the Krakens keeps it as a trophy?

BigJohn

……sound effects, having some of them learn Engwesh would work too. Or at least a patois that let them be understood without a translator.

That the Purist Nation doesn’t have it right?

Any chance we will find Quentin’s parents? And will they turn out to be Purist Nation racists and disown him for having a blue-skinned girlfriend?

That could be quite intresting to see his reaction to this church starting an becoming popular, as he still has a bit of the purist in him even if he has overcome this feelings for the other races, as it is something else to be veiwed as a god like person

It would be awesome to have a cartographic representation of the Siglerverse to go with the timeline you presented in THE ROOKIE. Bet it would be a pretty sweet selling point too.

I have maps and rough outlines of governmental borders, but I’ve been talking to Phil Plait (the Bad Astronomer) about creating a realistic map that uses actual, existing stars. Know what? That shit is a lot more complicated than I thought. Did y’all know there are 200 to 400 b-b-b-billion stars in the Milky Way?

Anyway, creating a realistic map that uses real stars is going to be a very time-intensive process, if I can do it at all. I just think it would be cool if you get a telescope, look into the night sky, and be able to say “the Sklorno Dynasty is right over there.”

And I like where your head is at.

Lets see more of how the teams are used for smuggling and other traffic the team owners do.

That would be soo much fun looking up to see if you could fine all the locations of the different territory’s in space. This is questions is the univeres in the rookie all within the milky way or have we got to other galaxys yet?

That s-s-s-sounded l-l-like H-H-Hutchins in the Parsec promos.

And yeah, most Sci-fi geeks know there’s a whole LOT of stars. Doing something realistic with them will require some serious time and effort. I would suggest creating an imaginary map with relativistic distances, giving that to Phil (or another astronomer) and using the real stars that match up closest to those you dreamt up. Seems like that would save everyone a whole LOT of work. Just my two cents though.

more tie-ins to the title fight i say. for example…what was that awesome arena where the fight took place. something on buddah city station i believe, but can’t remember what exactly, except that it was the awesomest place i’ve ever heard of

With a map in the works, no matter when it comes out. I really suck at doing them myself, but if you could work one out that would be awesome! I’d love to point out alien places to my friends. Would help me get them hooked, especially as I know a lot of star geeks at my college.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

This comment has been redacted for its totally inappropriate content. Please move along.

Move along!? Move along!? Oh, alright. I can move along. Just had to stop and stare for a little while, like everyone who passes a car wreck has to.

…….and JP & KM have taught me that it is better to stay silent in those situations. I actually don’t even recall what it was at this point. Something that might have offended your delicate virgin eyes.

the usage of it on only a “B” word gave it away.
    Though if he ever DOES get possessed, how do we proceed? Hope that his spirt is stronger than the invading spirit? Or just proceed with a hammer and bat fueled ass-whoopin’ in trying to beat the bad spirit out?

You’ve been taught well, then. My delicate virgin eyes do tend to burst into flame when they get offended. Awfully annoying to have to put them out…

• Well, rival players have not been ‘assassinated’ yet…
    • Looking forward to the Ju brothers…
    • The purist nation haven’t tried to use him as a weapon yet…
    • He hasn’t eaten with the Ki yet…
    • It would be interesting if someone were to drug a player and implant mods without them knowing… putting them on the bad side of the equation – another visit to the combine for a player?
    • Enough of the damn offense. Show me some more defense!
    • Pirates baby! Say it with me…. Pirates! The touchback has point defense systems for a reason!

These are just initial thoughts…

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

The assassinations, drugging/modding, Tweedy brothers, and eating with the Ki are the ones that interest me the most. Niiice.

[DEFINATELY]

That is the epitome of AWESOME!!!!

WANT WANT WANT

I like all those idea’s.

Oh Great FDO,

got a Couple of subplots for ya:

1) It would be awesome to have Quentin Visit the “newly Created’ church of Quentin Barnes.

2) Have psychotic Purist nation people attack Quentin for “associating with the lesser species”

3) Maybe bring in a evil cheerleader assassin to create a distraction for the Krakens. Yeah I know that story line sounds kinda dirty but this would be the optimal time to bring back the chang bang (Pookie does exist in the Rookie timeline).

4) Bring in a Kredarockian (sp?) coach/player/waterboy.

All Hail the FDO!

And awesome tight bod ya know…

Har!

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

A bad porn did not jump into my head! A bad porn did not jump into my head! A bad porn did not jump into my head! …Well, if I say it enough, it’ll be true, won’t it? ;)

I have to say, #2 sounds really fun. I’m definitely interested in that idea. :)

only because I know the FDO will have none of it (and yeah, it’s kinda fun to poke the calm FDO with a stick)…. Slash.

Quentin has already tickled Tweedy with his towel trick. Just saying…teamates get close and even with FTL, life on the road can get lonelyTongue out

perfect for this fight… hehe did i say fight… I meant slaughter.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

It would not be a bad porn at all. It would be quality Siglerotica Tongue out

I couldn’t help but wonder if QB’s parents left because they were part of the extremist movement & went off to do some of those planet bombings (or help plan them) that were mentioned later in the book.

I can imagine one of his parents or a relative of some kind coming forward & then using him for their own ends by having him smuggle something for him. I don’t think they’d ask him to carry something that he’d immediately recognize as an item to be used for terrorism, but I can imagine that they’d take advantage of his naivety & give him something that he’s not aware of- maybe even get him to carry messages to others without him knowing what they were for. Then his actions would not only endanger himself, but also his teammates & would get the whole “nobody checks the team for contraband” thing taken away. Could you imagine how angry some of his team would be? That’s not even imagining how angry everyone else would be- including Greedok.

Remember though, they do already search for explosives & weapons and that sort of thing. The component aspect might work and I’m sure the letter/message idea could. However, the only way the powers that be would be able to catch Quentin in that scenario would be from the back end (ie undercover scenario).

Scott might use a storyline like that to parallel what’s happening with terrorism in the world today. Many authors do it, and Scott has been no exception. He has integrated social themes into his novels before. Gee, racism in the Purist Nation, anyone? That’s one of the reasons I love THE ROOKIE so much. I also believe that’s why educators wanted it in schools. It has a powerful lesson to teach while simultaneously telling a brilliant story.

That’s why he’s our FDO. He overfloweth with awesome.

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

EPIC! Perhaps they left the purist nation because one of QBs parents was actually of mixed blood (though watered down after a generation or so?). The possibilities are endless!

….one way or another. Now which book in the series we get that in is completely up in the air. There’s no way Scott would have introduced such a strong element of foreshadowing and just leave it a loose thread through seven novels.

Another interesting angle to add would be having Gredok the Splithead pick up another player who can challenge Quentin’s position. Someone who can SCORE points and thus lessen Quentin’s importance on the team. Gredok definitely seems the type who would hold a grudge, and based on Quentin’s actions i nthe rookie, this could lead to interesting drama as Gredok threatens to make good on his promise to make Quentin pay when Gredok has no more use for him…

Home of the AABA, the Augusta National, and such.

It clearly is a lesson that needs repeating – racism may have gone underground, but not very far.

I am guessing that scott has already done the background work and is just waiting for a big reveal. (he says in hopes that this is true and it will all come out)

Ju Tweedy get signed to the krakens and see how that fucks with the team dynamics

……more interested in how he can USE Quentin’s loyalty to his teammates than anything as worthless as vengeance. Gredok is all about Gredok. Vengeance only serves a purpose if he is making an example of Quentin. To do that, he has to make the reason for the vengeance public knowledge. Gredok uses people, and he plans to use Quentin too.

I think you may have found an entirely new genre here. Books with lots of steamy sex, beautiful people, and exotic locations where they all die horrible, mutilating deaths. Sciency stuff optional.

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

Apparently he’s above writing erotica.Well, I think I’m probably making that up just to get his goat. No idea why he doesn’t want to do it. Maybe he’s afraid he won’t be good at it Tongue out Sorry, can’t resist taunting someone I like.

I think he’d do an awesome job. We know he’s a horror master. I’d love to read some Siglerotica myself. All he’d need to do would be blend 28 Weeks Later (Science based zombies) & Love Potion #9 (Science Based Aphrodisiac) and we’re off to the races!

I’ve seen somewhere…

9 1/2 Weeks Later? [-Seth Hanisek, Fullback, Woo Wallcrawlers (#152, p171 bitches!)]

Great minds and all

out there willing to give it a shot?? You’ve already got an audience waiting for it!! Tongue out

Now you’ve gone and done it. We could be flooded with faux Siglerotica!

Please write one with Pookie and the Chang Bang!

Cheerleaders.

Could you imagine what a mixed squad of cheerleaders could do? Considering the power of some of the various alien races, there would have to be maneuvers that they would be unable to do- otherwise they’d be in the risk of launching their teammates into the stratosphere!

I can see where cheerleaders wouldn’t be as visible in the lower tiers. Cheerleaders aren’t as noticeable when you get to the school/university/non-major teams, if they are there at all. But in tier 1? I can see where they would be more of a necessity. Plus I can see Greedok using the cheerleader hotties to influence members of the team- after all, people can do strange things for a pretty face.

-A little more off site time, exploring the dynamic between Q and the rest of the guys, kinda like Drinking with Tweedy.

-Love the idea of Jew Tweedy coming over to be the RB

-Greedok working behind the scenese to trade all of Q’s “friends” on the team away so he has less stroke.

-Yasood putting the team in danger (playing off an earlier idea) from his gambling witha bunch of Pirates.

-And just for fun, the kickback running into (literally or figuritivly) the ruined hulk of the James Keeling.

Your Friendly Neighborhood Hotchman

But wouldn’t Gredok trading off Q’s “friends” just worsen his team? I don’t think he’d be willing to do that. The impression I got was that Gredok more wanted to figure out how to use Q’s loyalty to get him to do things (what things, I don’t know) and to manipulate him, not to take that loyalty and make Q…depressed. That and, when they first enter Tier One, aren’t they basically “safe” for a year, to stop other teams from totally stealing all their players?

But running into the ruined hulk of the James Keeling would be an awesome tie-in/siglerverse mention!

So I’m re-reading through the rookie for the first time and I caught a detail I forgot: Since the Krakens made it to Tier 1 in Quentin’s first season, he is a “protected” player and cannot renegotiate his contract. Now Quentin didn’t care about this in the book, but could this come back to bite him in the ass?

…is the money.

As you might remember, Quentin was signed by the Micovi Raiders for a mere million. Now he’ll be stuck there with no opportuntity to renegotiate in the near future. While he was with the Raiders, money wasn’t his motivation factor as there really wasn’t anything he needed or wanted that wasn’t contraband…he gave away his trophy for pete’s sake!

Quentin initially was truly only motivated by his dream to get to tier one. But now that the dream has been fulfilled and his horizons have been broadened (like the cheap price of good Miller beer), one has to wonder if he’ll regret not making the big bucks. Or dare I say, that Quentin might even become belligerent because of it…maybe even demotivated by it? Oh the possibilities.

And I’m just wondering – Yassoud seems to get over Fayed’s (I hope that’s spelled right) injury okay, but as soon as he does he gets injured. Will this come into play in The Starter? Yassoud having to build up his confidence, again, has got to be hard when in the meatgrinder that is Tier One…

The one that doesn’t count for anything. As I recall it was a pretty good day for him. I think they even called it a freak injury (non-contact), so maybe he’s mentally fit. There’s definitely something to be explored there – will the team go recruit someone to replace Fayed, or will they have to pull from their own ranks to find a replacement? CAN they even bring in new blood at this point?

BigJohn

In addition to the backstory of Quentin and his family, I’d like to learn more about Gredok and his rise to power. If not in The Starter, perhaps one of the later books.

Thankies. I have such a terrible memory! O_O But you bring up more excellent points. Protected as they are in Tier One, can they even add someone to their team the first year?

I wonder if they can do a Tier-One transfer, from another tier one team. Maybe there aren’t any restrictions at all. Hmmm…

BigJohn

everybody seems to know Gredok is not a man to be messed it.
    I’d love to know how that knowledge got to be some common place.

body mods like the MMA fighters had in title fight and what is/isn’t legal in the GFL and how guys might go about hiding such things.

Not to mention is there a way to make money a motivating factor Like Bail for his parents? or he gets drunk and get sinto an accident whichkills a young child and he wants to compensate the parents? or he wants to pay off the debts of another Purist nation “Orphan” and needs more cash to do so? Maybe he takes up golf and needs money for solid gold clubs or something!

I don’t Know! but it seems like a glaring lead into the next book which I think our Great FDO will capitalize on!

…there’s alwways the smuggling angle, seeing as how the Team Buses can’t be inspected by the Bats but Quentin wasn’t really into that and only did it to free up Donald Pine. Unless he really loosens up morally, smuggling could really mess with Quentin’s brain. Either way, makes for a great sub-story.

he matured a great deal by the end of the first book, now that he’s going to be in the BIG TIME big time, I can see he doing something he may have been against before, especially if this can be combined with his sub-par pay in his contract.

But he was certainly ok with smuggled contraband. After all, he’d paid the crazy prices for the mag cans of millers – 10 credits or something like that – back on MCOVI, so he’s no innocent when it comes to black market dealings. He’s presumably already got contacts who might try to exploit his new found immunity.

BigJohn

It was mentioned in the rookie that also chemical mods were illegal too…Could another team slip something into a kraken’s player water bottle to have them disqualified? Disqaulified or even KILLED? could be an interesting plot twist…

During the book he did have someone eaten alive by nano-bugs didn’t he?

But an event like that isn’t normally enough to get someone that sort of universal notoriety. I reckon Gredok has done some foul, foul shit on his way to the top (more so, had someone else do it at his command) and I’m itching to know how bad it actually gets.

If there might be some story behind the “split-head” part of his name. Kinda goes along with the gangster/mafia motif, I would say.

BigJohn

Best death scene ever.

I’m a huge fan of mafia movies so I’d like to hear more about the mafia and it’s inner workings.

I like the way you think.

That would definitely be an interesting flashback/explanation to get to hear/read!

What would happen if, when Quentin finds out about his parents, he discovers he has another sibling that was born after he and his parents were separated?

That is a book 5 or 6 shocker – not book 2. Scott has to take the long view. [-Seth Hanisek, Fullback, Woo Wallcrawlers (#152, p171 bitches!)]

That’s true. There are seven more books in the series with plenty of room for exploration. Dare we explore the possibilities?

Book 2 first tier one season, Krakens loose in the first round of playoffs

Book 3 Tweedy goes free agent and lead opposing team to victory over the Krakens in the Galaxy Bowl

Book 4 Krakens finally win Galaxy Bowl

Book 5 long lost sister is found and is a high ranking purist

Book 6 Quentin takes over as coach after a devastating injury ends his playing days

Book 7 descendants of Ancestor monsters that had excaped to the Ki homeworld through a triangle build wormhole gate show up and eat everybody

Tongue outThe Detriot Lions finally win a championship

Science Fiction!!!! LOL!!!

(Sorry FDO, couldn’t help myself!!! Embarassed)

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Dammit, now I am all excited about book 7. [-Seth Hanisek, Fullback, Woo Wallcrawlers (#152, p171 bitches!)]

Now that is just mean >:)…Tsolo888 <AKA Cpt. Travis Ellis> – Out

The more I read and re-read the rookie the more I’m convinced that Ju tweedy should join the Krakens organization. ::spoiler:: With fayed’s death against the Quyth survivors and Paul pierson’s impromptu leg amputation by yallo the biter, the Krakens are down to only yassoud for a running back. Gettting Ju on the team would be a logical move AND would create interesting conflict with his brother John. I know I would be interested to find out the issues the Tweedy brothers have with eachother.

I just recently did a Siglerpedia Article on Yassoud, and I realize, he didn’t get much playing time. Maybe there’s a story regarding him taking on the role of ‘starter’ as well?

http://www.scottsigler.com/wiki/index.php/Yassoud_Murphy

You could do a sub-plot on some new doping technique that gets by the scanners. Suddenly everyone is questioning who is doping and who is not. It would have to be something they couldn’t test for, so there is uncertainty if a person is using it, but there must be some kind of evidence that the method exists. Lots of speculation. And if it was developed in the Purist Nation… everyone will wonder if Quentin was part of this new doping scheme.

Doc

Haha. That was genius.

And excellent idea. Even a sibling born before they got separated, but too young for him to remember would be an awesome surprise. And by awesome, I mean awesome for the readers, at least. :P

That I think I’ve seen a few times, and like every time. But I’m wondering if Gredok/Hokar (don’t have my book, so I can’t check the spelling right now, so I hope it’s right) would be willing to disrupt the team like that. I think they both realize it’s important to have some sort of team dynamic. Of course, they’re both really focused on winning and Ju is a great player, so, who knows?

Wouldn’t it be interesting to see what happens when a hit is not ruled as a clean hit? There’s a lot that could happen with that. Didn’t I just read something on the wiki about someone who was banned from Tier 1 because of too many deaths? I think that’d be kinda neat to explore.

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

Killed someone not on a “Clean Hit” in “the rookie”. He was suspended for 2 games.

I will also be disappointed. :P

I’d like to see a ship that fails to punch out (in?) properly. It’s definitely a deep fear of Quentin’s so there must be some justification for it, right? I think it’d be neat to have him be affected by his worst fears turned reality.

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

I like the way your mind works. That’d be awesome to see. :D

For someone with a slight case of claustrophobia, I imagine that QB will not be getting used to the punch out anytime soon.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

I know how I used to be with dogs so I can only imagine.

I’d either like to see evidence of a punch drive failure, or, since the stakes are REALLY high in Tier 1, attempts to take out a team using military might. Hey, the team bus is armed… so there should be a reason to USE those armaments, right?

Another interesting twist would be non-sklorno females playing Tier 1 ball.

Doc

now what would that look like?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.