This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Donald Martin Donald Martin 6 years, 8 months ago.

The end is nigh, dear friends.

• Profile photo of Donald Martin

At the same time

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT
    Profile photo of Barbara Jungbauer

Delhome said: Dear friends, in my completely unprofessional opinion… It appears that we shall soon be ass-deep in Ancestors….. 
    I shall name mine…   Fluffy

I think I just pulled a muscle laughing.  This story also explains my brother R.J.  How else can you understand the mixture of human and scumbag he represents.
    Spike or Bootsie

Tastes Like Chicken

Profile photo of Thomas Reed
    Profile photo of Mike Dowell

Just heard this story on the news yesterday, immediatly thought of Ancestor, came here to let everyone know, and its already here. thats good cause I didn’t get all the detals anyway, just the part human part cow embryos was enough to get my attention.

we should get the scientists adress and send them a cd of ancestor. just to let them know what they are in for….

Profile photo of Jeff H

Human/Cow hybrids, "Humonkeys", "Camas", & "Geeps".

Sounds like great material for Ancestor 2.

http://www.globalchange.com/humancow.htm

I almost thought that they were going to say that the lab was in Michigan.

"

Cow – Human Clones
    Human cloning from human cell and cows egg

World’s best kept secret in cloning research

The world’s first human clone of an adult has now been made, by an American biotechnology company in Massachusetts, Advanced Cell Technology.  They took a cell from Dr Jose Cibelli, a research scientist and combined it with a cows egg from which the genes had already been removed. (News November 1998)

The genes activated and the egg began to divide in the normal way up to the 32 cell stage at which it was destroyed.  If the clone had been allowed to continue beyond implantation it would have developed as Dr Cibelli’s identical twin.    Technically 1% of the human clone genes would have belonged to the cow – the mitochondria genes.  Mitochondria are power generators in the cytoplasm of the cell.  They grow and divide inside cells and are passed on from one generation to another.  They are present in sperm and eggs.   Judging by the successful growth of the combined human-cow clone creation it appears that cow mitochondria may well be compatible with human embryonic development.

However the biggest piece of news is not what they did in human cloning – sensational enough – but the fact that they kept cloning secret for three years after doing it, and presumably they were trying to do it at least a couple of years before that.

Update on this story – cow gives birth to a cloned bison using cow’s egg

5.5m hits in one year on these pages

Let’s wind back the clock:  these scientists had already carried out successful human nuclear transfer into an unfertilised egg before Dolly the sheep clone had been made.  In other words, the huge media rush about Dolly came only because the Dolly scientists in Edinburgh came clean sooner.   But even they omitted to tell us anything until Dolly was seven months old, well over a year after the cloning technique was successfully carried out and a good two to three years perhaps after they began their secretive work.

The lesson is this:  today’s headlines on human cloning tell us history.  The big question is what’s going on now?  What experiments were completed in 1996, 1997 and 1998 that we won’t know about until 1999 to 2001 – if then?

Elsewhere on this site I describe my own conversations with a British scientist in the 1980s who was attempting then to clone human embryos – with some success.  His purpose he said was to freeze clones to be used later for spare parts.  Defrost a twin, implant it into a surrogate of a humanised ape and cull it for spares.  Over a decade later he is still lying very low about his work.

There could be one benefit of the human to cows egg transfers.  Some people are very uneasy about creating a human embryo and then dismembering it, however early the stage, to obtain embryonic stem cells from which useful tissues might be grown.  they might feel more comfortable with a hybrid solution, if it were shown that the embryonic cow-human stem cells were viable as tissue producers but not capable of becoming a baby.

However there are many other ethical issues.   For a start it raises the biggest question of all:  how many human genes does a cow or monkey have to gain before we give it human rights?  In these human-cow clones one imagines every court in the world would agree that the child born would be capable of being prosecuted for murder, even though it would technically be 1% cow.

But what about other proportions?   Humonkeys are within our capability and have been for several years.   Scientists have already made geep (combined sheep and goat), and camas (combined camels and lamas) simply by rolling two balls of cells together after fertilisation.     Monkeys and humans have 97% of genes in common so if the right 1.6% were transferred from a human to a monkey we could land up with a monkey more human than animal.

These questions will need facing sooner than you may think.  And for the theologians another question:  how many human genes does an animal have to have to need salvation?   Christians, Muslims and Jews believe that humans are made in the image of God.  Human life is a mystery.  What does that mean in the light of these extraordinary developments?"

Profile photo of Alex Sipiere

times’s repost? 

" It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip ‘em the bird."- anon

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

-you escaped!! (need to talk that hit squad about a refund)
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

technicly, that post was just about the permission given. this article is about the complition.

Signature begins here: Name this song and you’ll get a hug from the sexyness that is me: "Out of the Mists of time it comes, Older than the oldest line it comes."

Profile photo of Peter Braat

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/895

Scary thought though  

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

Profile photo of Richard Damge

like fluffy bunnies

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

British Researchers Create Human-Animal Hybrid Embryos

Wednesday , April 02, 2008

From The Times of London:

LONDON — 

Embryos containing human and animal material have been created in Britain for the first time, a month before the House of Commons votes on new laws to regulate the research.

A team at Newcastle University announced yesterday that it had successfully generated “admixed embryos” by adding human DNA to empty cow eggs in the first experiment of its kind in Britain.

The Commons is to debate the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Bill next month. MPs have been promised a free vote on clauses in the legislation that would permit admixed embryos. But their creation is already allowed, subject to the granting of a licence from the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority (HFEA).

The Newcastle group, led by Lyle Armstrong, was awarded one of the first two licences in January. The other went to a team at King’s College London, led by Professor Stephen Minger. The new Bill will formalise their legal status if it is passed by Parliament.

Admixed embryos are widely supported by scientists and patient groups as they provide an opportunity to produce powerful stem-cell models for investigating diseases such as Parkinson’s and diabetes, and for developing new drugs.

Their creation, however, has been opposed by some religious groups, particularly the Roman Catholic Church. Cardinal Keith O’Brien, the head of the Catholic Church in Scotland, described the work last month as “experiments of Frankenstein proportion”.

The admixed embryos created by the Newcastle group are of a kind known as cytoplasmic hybrids, or cybrids, which are made by placing the nucleus from a human cell into an animal egg that has had its nucleus removed. The genetic material in the resulting embryos is 99.9 per cent human.

The BBC reported that the Newcastle cybrids lived for three days, and that the largest grew to contain 32 cells. The ultimate aim is to grow these for six days, and then to extract embryonic stem cells for use in research.

Once the technique has been tested, scientists hope to create cybrids from the DNA of patients with genetic diseases. The resulting stem cells could then be used as models of those diseases to provide insights into their progress and to test new treatments.

It is already illegal to culture human-animal embryos for more than 14 days, or to implant them in the womb of a woman or animal, and these prohibitions will remain in the new legislation.

Using cow eggs reflects a short supply of human eggs. There are also ethical difficulties involved in collecting human eggs for research, as the donation process carries a small risk to women.

Professor John Burn, a member of the Newcastle team, told the BBC: “This is licensed work which has been carefully evaluated. This is a process in a dish, and we are dealing with a clump of cells which would never go on to develop. It’s a laboratory process and these embryos would never be implanted into anyone.

“We now have preliminary data which looks promising but this is very much work in progress and the next step is to get the embryos to survive to around six days, when we can hope-fully derive stem cells from them.”

The Newcastle team’s decision to announce its success on television, before its results have been published in a peer-reviewed journal, will also trigger criticism from scientists.

Medical researchers said last night that the experiments were important, but that they wanted to see published details before passing judgment on their merits.

Dear friends, in my completely unprofessional opinion… It appears that we shall soon be ass-deep in Ancestors….. 

I shall name mine…

Fluffy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.