This topic contains 27 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jason Williamson Jason Williamson 3 years, 8 months ago.

The Dark Tower Movie/TV Adaptation

• Profile photo of Jason Williamson

[flickr-photo:id=5021674230,size=m]~Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum – Jay-Gu-Ana, owner of the Sala Intrigue~

Profile photo of Belladonna420

Book One is ready to get loaded into my CD changer tomorrow morning! Wink

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Profile photo of steve libby

Drop your socks and grab your… Copy of Ancestor! Owner of the Isis Ice Storm [flickr-photo:id=4779220092,size=m] Puller of strings

Profile photo of Jon Kaneshiro

Now that i have all the books, I may just never stop… Ka is a wheel…

that they will be doing TV series’ between the movies to fill in the gaps.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Profile photo of Liam McCoy

Yes, “getting it” is paramount. Of course aesthetics can’t be completely overlooked. But I see your point.

Yes, that one. The one you just brought up. It tortures me, always. Never has any movie been made successfully from a book without cuts and changes. I fear it will never happen. It is something that us people who read will always have to deal with, and something that plain, unimaginative moviegoers will never have to suffer through. May Sigler have mercy on our souls.

is awesome. I am still looking for a series for which I will do this. There hasn’t been a series that I’ve folloed all the way through. The closest I have is the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). Both of these series have beautifully wide scope and intensely and inscrutably designed details that beg multiple reads.

Profile photo of Jason Williamson

first four, more then 20 less then 50 I would guess. The Dark Tower Ive read 11 times, and I read the entire series every time a book comes out then 1 or 2 readings a year regardless of books coming out. Don’t know why I have such an addiction to that series, but I can’t go long with out reading them. Im actually reading them again right now!
    [flickr-photo:id=5021674230,size=m]~Si Vis Pocum, Para Bellum – Jay-Gu-Ana, owner of the Sala Intrigue~

so im looking up all these people on imdb and it’s pretty fun. i mean, not Crazy fun, but a little fun for my brain… thanks for the entertainment
    I’m wondering how many times Jayguana has taken the journey to the tower. (the amount of foreshadowing blows my mind)

thats such a funny… LMAO ahhh

Profile photo of Rich Bennett

as to how they will cram all the books into a 3 movie deal. What are they going to gloss over or omit entirely? I just loved this story by King, I just hope it is done justice…. [flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m] Wolfpack Quarterback

Profile photo of Kevin Mest

so far, not so great…

him mid-thirtys instead of early 20’s. And Eddie of New York has lived a hard life, do you ken it?

between his first appearance and his second. And that covers 3 books and an untold amount of time (Rolands long sleep and aging after his Palavar with the man in black), and then the near year long travels with Eddie and Susan. They can tweek the timelines to make it easier to explain but the actor himself is going to age and grow between and during the filming of his parts. And no, Will Smiths kid is not even an option for this role! ~ Susan is tough one also, its gonna take some serious acting chops to cover her. Nia Long has the right look but I dont know if she could cover the range needed. you almost need a younger better looking Oprah (it actually kills me a little to say that). ~ Eddie I already posted but another option would be Sam Rockwell, he has the range and the NY addict look to him already. ~ Kevin Spacey as the Man in Black is a no brainer for me, good looking enough, witty, talented and he has a great range of accents not to mention he just looks shifty and evil when he wants to. ~ And just for giggles Steve Buscemi in a fur coat for Oy! Come on, you know that would be some funny shit! ~ And as for Roland son of Steven of the line of Eld, there is just no actor with the right look that young enough. So we just have to find a thin spot and draw him into our world. Of course it will be hard to stop him from killing most of the people in Hollywood, but that isnt really a bad thing in and of its self! Well then I have had my say, back to the beam of the Bear and the Turtle. Remember the face of your father maggots!

now. He’s a little old to play Eddie, don’t you think?

I agree about wanting to see the right actors for the roles. I’ve been reading and re-reading this series since my teens, but like Kevinesque said… I’ll watch it no matter what.

Viggo Mortensen wasn’t a great pick either but a much better fit for Roland. Eddie Dean is simple Adam Storke, he was the actor that played Larry Underwood in The Stand. http://www.askactor.com/actress/Adam_Storke/galleries/ here are some of his pics. And Clint Eastwood would have been the best pick 30 years ago for Roland, todays actors are to pretty to play the role of Old Tall, dark, and ugly himself they need to go for an unknown actor that can commit himself and his life to the role for the 4 or 5 years that this project is supposed to last. There was an actor that played a young Eastwood in the Space Cowboys movie and he might be a good pick. Im very protective of this story and the characters because I have been traveling with them and living with them for more then 20 years now and I have always wanted to see this project come to life but I know there are always down sides and problems.

I wholeheartedly second the Gina Torres motion. And as for Javier Barden, completelywring for it. A few neams I’ve seen around the web have looked much better, like Viggo Mortensen or Daniel Craig. I guess I just view Bardem as being too slick to play such a rough-around-the-edges character.

could be good. I was thinking Sanaa Lathan from Blade and AVP. And I like Ian Somerhalder for Eddie. I think you’re right about Jake needing to be a new face, but for the MiB… I need to think on that some more.

how that works out for ya…

If the producers resort to CG instead of hiring rogue geneticists to craft an Oy, then their hearts arent really in it and they’re just going thorugh the motions. Heck, I’ll do it myself. I’ll use a cow as a surrogate mother… I read in a book once I think.

Oy will be CG.

Ka Ka Tongue out

They should skinny him up a bit, leave him in the hot baking sun for a season and most importantly, make him read the whole series… twice. I think as long as the actors “get” the story… the feel of it… it should be good. Thats a Ron Howard project, isn’t it? I have high hopes for the movies. not much faith in the TV tho… {CAPTCHA is getting harder to decode}

When you posted that link I thought it was this guy: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0604747/

and I’m like “Denny? As Roland???” But… not the same guy.

This guy does look a bit too ‘fat faced’ than I’d imagined Roland would be. Honestly, regardless of who they get I’m gonna watch it. I have no choice… I’m powerless against Ka. I am interested though to know who they’ll get to play Oy. :-)

Profile photo of Scott "Big Fish" Pond

…He’s not too old and not too young, with enough of an air of mystery to lend credibility. Give him a two-day shadow and the proper attire and I think he could pull it off.

For Susanna, I’d love to see Gina Torres (Zoe from Firefly/Serenity fame).

For Eddie, I’m a little torn. Aaron Paul? Not bad, but maybe need to go with an unknown or up and coming on this one. Or how about a Jake Gyllenhaal?

For Jake, we’re gonna probably gonna need a new face…

For the Man in Black, I’d LOVE to see Kevin Spacey take on this role… I think he has the acting chops to really give this one a sharp edge. Or maybe a Robert Downey Jr?

[flickr-photo:id=4872769926,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4872123139,size=m] • [flickr-photo:id=4933249630,size=m]

Profile photo of Ashley Garriga

AARON PAUL FROM BREAKING BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed…

Javier Bardem has officially been offered the role of Roland Deschain in the three movies and TV series adaptations planned for The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I’m not sure how I feel about that. I always pictured (a younger) Clint Eastwood when reading the books, but he’s too old to play the role now.

Fans of the series, what do you think of Bardem as Roland? Do you think someone else should play him? Who do you see playing the other main characters like Jake, Eddie, Susannah, the Man in Black, etc.?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.