This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of scottsigler scottsigler 1 year, 2 months ago.

The Dark Overlords DOTA team

Hey guys!

First of all I am a HUGE Sigler Junkie as I’m sure all of you reading are as well…

Anyway, I love the MOBA game Dota 2 and was introduced to Scott Sigler’s novels through a friend of mine who also plays the game.

Let’s get to business. I am starting a Dota 2 team called the Ionath Krakens and was looking for fellow players and Junkies to join the roster. I currently have two people (myself included) on the team’s roster. I was hoping we could take the team to a professional level and represent our beloved author in a new area of the world.

So if you are interested in joining please post below or send a message to me through Steam at Krakens.Ma-Tweedy.

THANKS!

I might be a mega tech tard but what does MOBA and DOTA stand for? Sounds like an interesting way to be introduced to the Siglerverse.

(And I *love* your user name!!!)

MOBA = Multiplayer Online Battle Arena

DOTA = Defense Of The Ancients

Personally I like League of Legends better (start flame war now)

Promoting Siglerism in any way is a honorable initiative, but I must tell you that in the grand scheme of things these online games are a huge waste of time. These games have no end and once the excitement fades and you are done with it you will want your time back.

I used to play quite a lot of MUME (multi user middle earth) during college and 15 years later I really wish I had done something more productive with my time. Got the same message from my friend who sunk into WoW (World of Warcraft) for a few years.

I’m not cruasading against gaming in general, that would be even more futile. At least ‘regular’ games one can play on-and-off and I really admire people who can do this without getting addicted and manage to have a meaningful real life at the same time.

Being part of some team, clan or guild creates a strong commitment to be there and participate every day and it takes a LOT of time that could be otherwise spent with family, RL friends or promoting ones career.

Of course there are some pros to online gaming, but these are mostly temporary and there are lot more cons. Sadly, loss of time is permanent.

I understand that everyone is free to live their life aas they see fit, but I just had to speak my mind on the matter. It makes my heart bleed when I see my nephew bury his life into LoL, but I just can’t get through to him with my message. In my humble opinion the comparison of LoL and DotA couldn’t be more meaningless as they both are just applications to kill time.

Take care.

time isnt actually lost. i actually know right where it is. and its only a “waste of time” if your not having fun with it. the same can be said for watching tv or reading books. its another escape from reality.

personally i cant stand tv doesnt mean i think i wasted hundreds of hours of my life watching doctor who or ed, edd and eddy. video games just arent for you. so let us have our fun.

@Amiko: The key here is enjoyment of the time you spend. If you had fun playing those games and had fun with your clan, then it was time well-spent.

Sure, you can get sucked in and a lot of people do. I have a minor FIFA addiction, where I want to just play one game and wind up playing two or even three — afterward, i am invariably pissed that I didn’t spend that extra time writing.

But you know what? When I am playing, I’m having a ball. Do I wish I could have that time back? Maybe. Is there any intrisic, life-long value gained from playing? Nope, but there also isn’t any life-long value gained from watching FIREFLY or seeing IRON MAN 3.

Scott said: “But you know what? When I am playing, I’m having a ball. Do I wish I could have that time back? Maybe. Is there any intrisic, life-long value gained from playing? Nope, but there also isn’t any life-long value gained from watching FIREFLY or seeing IRON MAN 3.”

I really thought that I had said my peace on this topic and won’t comment any more, but I just have to say this: “There is definetely some life-long value gained from watching FIREFLY”.

I’m not sure about lots of other entertainment I have enjoined, but FIREFLY I will remember and treasure until the day I die.

@Amiko: Well, you might have me there. I picked up storytelling tips from watching FIREFLY that I will use in the future. And maybe FIFA is a bad example of video games that provide that life-long value. It’s a sports game, is in-the-moment and not about storytelling. DEAD SPACE, on the other hand, counts up there with my all-time horror-entertainment experiences, along with ALIENS and IT.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.