This topic contains 57 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter Insignificant Blood Splatter 4 years, 6 months ago.

Stomach Scrunching Horror

• Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

The only thing that has really gotten to me so far was the smoochies. Chealsea mackin’ on her momma. Just… Ugh! *shudders* Otherwise, I thrive on the gore and horror. And that’s why I keep coming back. :)

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

That TPB collects the first 7 issues.

You won’t be sorry.

Preacher sounds awesome, I’m gonna see if the comic book store in Berkeley has it.

I can totally visualize that one – not only when listening to/reading but also in passing references! Gerald’s Game by Stephen King was otherwise unimpressive, but there’s a similar scene with the skin peeling off descriptive . Just thinking about the book and I see that scene in my head!

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

And yes you should.
    If you’re a fan of Sigler’s work, I can’t reccomend Garth Ennis’ work enough, especially the entire Preacher series.

I have a hard time getting into his UK based stories as I just don’t get the humor (he’s Irish) but his work on Preacher, Hitman, and his run on Punisher Max were all top notch.

Preacher is just awesome. The basis is that a small town Texas preacher gets possessed by the offspring of an angel and a demon that basically gives him the power to make a person do whatever he tells them to.

Then it goes batshit nuts from there.

I’ve heard you talk about the Preacher comic before but this is an intriguing concept! I mighthave to pop over to amazon and see if they have it in graphic novel form.

in the comic Preacher; nothing like seeing a guys face cut off than nailed back on upside down.

In series one of Spooks (MI-5 here in the States) there’s an episode where this really cute agent is captured and tortured by having her face forced into a deep fat fryer. Melted her face off. Ouch

Kinda like in Men Behind the Sun when they forced that woman’s arm into the boiling water/freezing cold water bath over and over until they slipped the skin and meat off with one swipe…just worse because it wasn’t as cartoony as the movie.

In Contagious, when the girl slips her hands out of the hand cuffs while on the operating table, and the skin slides off her hands. I reacted out loud to that one…

Enough said!

now I can take a small pistol shot directly to the boys and walk away fine.

Chicken scissors. I know that has been a common thread here, but haven’t been able to stop protectively covering my balls since I read that book.

but buckshot shredding the genitals, on the other hand, made my curl up with my thumb in my mouth.

was frakkin’ hysterical! [flickr-photo:id=4344444705,size=m]

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

No, no …. don’t mind that tear in my flight suit..and the small trickle of blood…that’s someone else’s blood that got on me…yeah, that’s the ticket! I’m fine…in tip top shape…no wounds to speak of emoticons

I missed the Passenger haiku??? I must find that.

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Was glad to see them make a return in The Crypt.

I did a Passenger haiku that I was especially proud of.

As I sat here thinking of ‘scenes that physically bothered me’ the first obvious one that came to me was when Rex had his arm snapped. Easy choice. But then I thought about it further, and it hit me. There are two that I found far worse:

1) Aleksander Michnik, sitting on the shuttle, eating a sandwich and talking with his mouth full.

2) Bryan Clauser, sitting in his father’s kitchen, eating a sausage and talking with his mouth full.

Uugh. I’d -watch- Rex’s arm-snap than listen to that.

I’ve almost done with Bloodcast Season 1 in the middle of The Great Snipe Hunt at the moment (yes, I’m anal, I have to listen in order). I see Passenger is the 2nd episode into Season 2 – I can’t wait now!

of my favorite bloodcast stories!

Production values were high on that one. Very nicely done. OH! That reminds me!

Are you wounded?

BigJohn: Badass enough to get the drop on Kissyman

That’s rght…Passenger has three epsodes of awesome nano machines going horribly horribly wrong.

But I’m not sure I can really judge just how badly I would scream in the same situation. And thankfully, I never will.

awesome story.

For some reason, I’m drawing a blank…

I must jump up and hide behind the couch now! Peek over to see if the scary part is over… AASAAHHFHH NO IT ISN”T!!!!!

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #2 or 3 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

You can rent one down on 38th street on the west side.

*crunch*

Where the dude is invaded by the nanobots and they force him to eat his buddy. FDO’s sound effects just about made me have to pull over and puke. Even remembering it makes my stomach flutter just a bit.

it would have been better, however, if the dude didn’t overact the screaming.

I did suffer some stomach qualms in Earthcore when the pliers were being used. I could just hear bone breaking.

(Ok, i really have nothing to say. I just like the impact of the words in the big title font!)

Must not have made that much of an impression on me, though. I guess I didn’t think they were so bad. I do, however, think the final scene in Hostel 2, was particularly wince-inducing.

Zed’s dead.

from your Man Card.

Pulp Fiction: after the gimp scene when Zed took the shotgun blast to the groin.
    Robocop: perp takes a tall woman hostage; Robocop detects the size differention, shoots between her legs and nails the dude in the crotch.

I can’t leave meat sitting on the counter anymore; i’m afriad it’ll start crawling away and then burst with maggots.

I don’t remember what you’re talking about in RoboCop or Pulp Fiction…which is really, really sad.

I think that was the scene… After that, it was one “No, he isn’t gonna do… oh… oh… OW OW OW OW OW OW OW!” after another…

hhhmmm… SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #2 or 3 in crack hits (Special? Ain’t I just) Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient! Double Dipper and Triple Threat! All-around uberjunkie!

Reminded me of when I was little and watching Poltergeist… asf; dsl;jf;lafdslsgk;l sorry… involuntary shudder there…

still gonna score a pair to get the FDO to sign the next time I catch him at a stop, though.
    I’m a glutton for pain, it seems.

for the longest time, I thought the scene from Robocop was the worst. Then came Pulp Fiction.
    Now, I have to imagine someone getting Ahabed through the cricks…that’s going to give me some nightmares to be sure.

“oh my ow.” I need to use that at some point! Laughing

We got back from the movie and called every guy we knew – just to hear them say “OW!”

Oh my ow. That ow. For the love of ow. You’ve gotta be ow.

Infected may have not been the first but it made a hell of an impression.

Yes, I did see that bit of awfulness! The harpoon through the balls had the whole audience going “Oh!” and half of us can’t even imagine what that might really have been like!

first time I’ve ever had to put a book down and just walk around the house for awhile. That just did not sit well.

We are called Junkies.

…that same scene with Perry and the fork. Then I started thinking of it more too listening to Nocturnal recently.

I definitely think the sound effects are a great deal of it. When the head came off, it wasn’t just the head being ripped from the body it was the gurgling and bubbling and cracking and mushy wet glurgle sounds, all rolled into one. I don’t know if it was the day or something I ate but man…

Little things like screws in legs and smashed collarbones I’m cool with and even a lot of Perry’s mutilation was fine, but all of a sudden sitting at work last Thursday… *shudder*

I love when it is so vivid and effectual that all this time later (like with Infected) I only need to think of the scene and my stomach churns. Kind of like a roller coaster, the thrill of the ride is going to keep getting back on again and again! Some messed up part of me loves the bits that make me sick!

Thinking about it some more… in the early episodes of Nocturnal, there was a scence where Rex gets his leg broken by a bunch of bullies. While the scene didn’t make me sick, I did tense up a bit in the tush when the sound effect came on. It’s like the FDO had KFC drumsticks for dinner then used one of the chicken bones to record the broken leg. Blech. That made me cringe.

That’s the one! It was that scene that made me ill. Boy, FDO really got us all with that, didn’t he? I haven’t been grossed out like that since, though. That bar was set pretty high.

BigJohn

The scene where Perry’s trying to pry a triangle out of his thigh with a fork… yep, that’s the one that gets me the most!! But I love it!! I love it all!!!!!!!

I personally was only really affected by Perry’s self mutilation in Infected (particularly the part where removing the leg triangle caused his achillies tendon to be cut :: shudder::) but the rest of sigler’s novels have really made me feel that way. The gore in his other novels tie into the storyline so well they enhance the story experience. So when I hear about Erikson in Nocturnal needing to have a splint attached to his leg by a drill and some carpentry screws or Sven being eaten alive by an ancestor’s gaping maw, I don’t shudder but rather love the awesomeness.

Conincidently though, my wife saw the stills from the ancestor trailer and was disgusted by the picture Sven and the blood trail. So I guess it COULD just be me who is mentally disturbed. That being said I think I’m in good company among the junkies!

I had already listened to Ancestor and EarthCore and while those had their brutual moments, they didn’t make me physically ill. It wasn’t until Infected…the scene where Perry is extracting thetriangle from his leg…that I realized I was affected physically. Not only the feeling ill part but I was squirming and wringin my hands. By the time it got to Perry’s twigs and berries, I was definitely feeling icky.

Regarding coming back for more…it’s like a train wreck, or like when everyone slows down on the interstate to see the aftermath of a wreckage. It’s so gruesome, you just have to look!!

I don’t remember the exact part, but there was something in infected that started making me physically ill. I even remember thinking how odd that was for me, and it was about that time that I realized I was pretty damn impressed with this Sigler guy.

And thus was a Junkie born.

BigJohn

Figured this was a likely spot for this topic!

Obviously we wouldn’t all be here if we weren’t fans of the icky stuff that makes your insides squirm. Still, even though my stomach is rock solid for your average bit of video/audio/text – only the FDO can make me feel like I’m about two seconds from tossing my cookies! Given the “ewww” content of much of what we hear, I’m curious:

Does anyone else suffer stomach qualms listening to Sigler? And is that what keeps you coming back for more too?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.