This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Joseph Cartwright Joseph Cartwright 4 years, 8 months ago.

Selling Sigler to the 'Rents

can’t seem to get them up to date on much. sorry but no help I know.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

She would have a stroke within a chapter of any FDO book. Dad is a maybe, he does turn 70 on sunday so maybe its now or never. I think you just saved me a hundred dollar bottle of Scotch!

Festina Lente (Make Haste Slowly)

Jayguana

Avatar of Insignificant Blood Splatter

That could definitely factor into it. :P

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

I have a feeling that my Mom is a few decades older than IBS’ — she just turned 75 in January. Sigler fiction might just bring on too big a shock for her system.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Mom’s not Italian, but very sheltered and we all like her that way. Dad prefers non-fiction, usally war or biographies. Some kid at Blockbuster once recommended Clint Eastwood’s “Unforgiven” to them. I got this phone call from my mom complaining about the violence and bad language. I told her that I would never have recommended that for her (or any Clint movies, for that matter) and I got another lecture on “I can’t see why you would want to watch that stuff….”

Yeah, even the Rookie young adult version ain’t gonna make it for them.

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Sigler stories are like those stories on heavy doses of steriods!!!!!!! Tongue out

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

My mom would burst into flame if she read any of the FDO’s work, I’m pretty sure. My dad doesn’t mind some violence, but I never see him reading Horror, and that portion will offset the sci/fi intrigue a little too much, I think.

Are there similar books you know they have read that you can draw parallels to? Like HotZone-Infected, or Nightbreed-Nocturnal or Jurassic Park-Ancestor? That’s probably the approach I’d take.

BigJohn

Gotchya. Haha, can’t believe she didn’t go for Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. :O Seriously, Jane Austen is boring (by herself). xD

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

straight off the boat Italian. I’m afraid with her old world sensibilities that she’d find the FDO’s books… inappropriate. She can’t understand why I like Steven King and horror movies and gore and guts and gratuitous violence and the like. Because of this, I rarely recommend books or movies to her. When I talk about something I’m reading she usually says “I don’t know how you can read that.” and that’s the end of it. She’s a Jane Austen fan, so I tried recommending Pride and Prejudice and Zombies a while back…. didn’t go over well. [flickr-photo:id=4368862563,size=m]

I figure my dad loves sci-fi and horror in general, and he also loves football. I figure I’ll start him with the Rookie, then get him into Infected/Contagious. I’ll work him through my hard copies and see if I can’t get him into the podcasts next!

Faith – that which enables us to believe things we know to be untrue (Bram Stoker’s Dracula)

That’s kinda funny seeing as my mom was the one who introduced me to the FDO (I believe she started with Nocturnal) and she also likes the Twilight series. :P My dad, though, is really only into non-fiction. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen him read fiction, so I wouldn’t even try to introduce him to the FDO’s books.

read anything by the FDO unfortunately…. Maybe Earthcore but even that’s doubtful. She’s addicted to the Twilight series… that’s more her speed. [flickr-photo:id=4369592652,size=m]

Seeing as it was my mom who suggested them to me. xD

So My Dad and I have very similar tastes in books and have always listened and traded to Audiobooks. I recently have had him try podcasting and got him hooked on Nathan Lowell’s “Solar Clipper” series. Now that he’s got the Podcasting bug I thought it a good idea to bring him into the church of Siglerism. My Thought was to start with the Rookie or Earthcore and then move onto the Infected/Contagious series.

So I thought this experience might make a good forum topic: How does one suggest Sigler novels to the Moms and Dads of the world? The order you’d suggestion is different for your parents then would be for your friends. I personally LOVED Nocturnal, but I don’t think that would be the best book to start with for my Dad.

So for the mom’s and dads out there how do we pass on the gifts of El Siglerisimo like a Don Pine giving a Sklorno the TD pass of their dreams? What do you think Junkies?!?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.