This topic contains 45 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of sadock sadock 5 years, 2 months ago.

Rookie orphanage thread

• Profile photo of sadock

They felt the need to go on a little Tailgate Tour of their own. At least this time they were not stolen or lost.

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of Belladonna420

I meant to ask if you had gotten your copies yet…  The post office had nothing but empty packages for you the 1st time, right?  Well, I hope you get them soon.  The Producer of DØØM needs his books!!!

[flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Now, either the FDO needs to do YA versions of his other books or Gino needs to grow up faster!  He’s already asking me about reading Infected after he finishes The Rookie…..  I know he’s heard all the words before, but I don’t think he’s ready for Perry, the Magnificent Seven and the chicken scissors!

I asked him to write something about how important reading is and that’s what he wrote.  It IS awesome!!!  Gino is SO excited and can’t wait to take the book to school on Monday to show all his friends.  He said he’s not gonna let them touch it though!  LOL!!!

Profile photo of sadock

I ordered the first day of pre-orders. I’m telling you, mine are cursed. Long story. But they’re making their way here. As long as they arrive by X-mas, it’s all good.

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of sadock

I love the inscription. Did you request that specifically or did the FDO come up with that after reading about your situation in this thread?

Profile photo of Gmork

oh my, Gino is so cute! And look at that badass book he has!

Outstanding!!

[flickr-photo:id=3996618424,size=m]

[flickr-photo:id=3995857779,size=m]

OMG!  I just got my nephew’s book in the mail!!  I can’t wait til I get off of work so I can go give it to him!  I’ll post pics!

Thanks again to whomever bought The Rookie for him!!! 

Profile photo of sadock

Hearing libraries complain about not getting enough resources, then turning perfectly good books away. I can see your point, but it was disconcerting nonetheless. The whole beggars can’t be choosers thing.

It reminds me of when my best mate’s mother offered to take a gentleman home to and cook him dinner. He was holding one of those "Will work for food" signs. He declined and told her that he’d make more money if he just stayed where he was and held his sign. He didn’t really want food. He wanted money.

Both situations strike me as disingenuous. If they want money, ask for money. Not resources or food. 

Profile photo of Gmork

Donating to libraries is a tricky thing. Open donations tend to bring in a lot of books that are damaged (faulty binding, molding, etc) or books that just wouldn’t be worth having. 

Even if the donation is stellar, it would still mean allocating staff to sort through the donations for what to keep, tracking the donations for fiscal reporting and then disposal of donations that for whatever reason cannot be kept.  Considering there’s hardly enough budget to keep many libraries functioning for their normal operations, it doesn’t suprise me that they would turn away book donations from the public.

That’s what makes the charity I assist so outstanding. The books are new, geared towards young readers, and the titles are chosen based on their ability to not only assist in building reading skills but also what will grab the attention of reluctant readers. And because the charity is a 503(c), we do all the paperwork for donations :)

Profile photo of sadock

"But Mommmmmmmm! I don’t wannnnnt to read thaaaaaat. I wannnnnt to read the Rooooooookie."

And why should we dictate what our children read? The important thing is that they’re reading. 

Profile photo of sadock

I suspect the employee in question simply didn’t want to deal with the intake.

My attitude when donating to a library, Salvation Army, Goodwill, etc. is always : "Look, here’s a bunch of stuff you may be able to use or sell. If you don’t want it, throw it away. No, I don’t need a receipt. That’s not why I’m doing this."

Now, on the flipside, that same library was overjoyed to receive the entire collection of Babylon 5 on VHS when I upgraded to DVD. I guess they don’t get many A/V donations. It’s also wedged in between an affluent neighborhood and our "ghetto." Calling it a ghetto is kind of a stretch considering how small a city I live in Wink

Anyways, I’ve found that neither end of the bell curve is particularly inclined towards donating to libraries. But it’s location is ideal for use by those who can’t afford books of their own. It’s also nearby three schools and the East Campus of our Community College here.

and if frustrates me to no end that he "hates" to read, especially since I’m on homework duty (loooooong story)!  When I first got my copy of The Rookie, I brought it over to show the family and he actually showed some interest in it, so I suggested we try reading that for his school-required 20 minute daily reading.  So far so good – except that now he has to do a book report on a book by Roald Dahl (author of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Matilda, The Witches, and other books) and he doesn’t want to read THAT book, he wants to read The Rookie!!!  So now I’m forcing him to read Fantastic Mr. Fox so we can get the book report out of the way.  Hopefully, his very own copy of the The Rookie will arrive by the time we finish or even just before then, so I can give him a “prize” for being such a good kid!  LOL!

Profile photo of Gmork

I think it’s outstanding that your nephew has you there to encourage his reading.  I work with a charity that provides books to libraries that can’t afford to buy new ones (and there are more out there than you can imagine).  The books are geared towards younger readers and the material donated focuses on books that will encourage reluctant readers to read.

In a day and age where the video game commands the attention of the young, it reflects greatly on yourself and on the FDO’s material, that your nephew would be so enthralled with The Rookie!  I hope he enjoys it when he receives it!

It’s a beautiful thing!!!!Smile

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of sadock

Just think of how much more he’ll enjoy the surprise when he actually gets to HOLD the book. That will help Wink

Profile photo of Dave Johnson

who are such huge fans of death destruction and mutilation, you’re all a bunch of fluffy hearted individuals… this kind of behaviour restores my faith in humanity (and seeing what I see on a daily basis this takes some doing)

Profile photo of

Fortunately, that was the GOOD things that were coming to ya.

Profile photo of

There’s a reason all the podcasts are free in the first place. We’ve all been there. The fact that Junkies step up and go this extra distance just to be cool? Fuck. I can’t tell you guys how this messes with my head, to have a product and a community that facilitates this kind of "let’s get in the trenches together" mentality. Sheer brilliance. I’m honoroed and thrilled.

Thanks again for the assistance!  It took everything I had not to tell him about it today…  I hope I can keep my mouth shut till it arrives!

Profile photo of sadock

I was wondering when you’d get the email/call asking if you wanted it personalized. Nope, I didn’t adopt you. I just facilitate things.

Muahahahaha. Yeah, it’s coming along……

Warm thanks from my nephew Gino and I to the kindhearted Junkie who purchased a copy of The Rookie for him!  He will be soooooo excited when it comes in the mail.  I’m not going to tell him it’s coming so it will be a great surprise for him!!

Thanks again from the bottom of our hearts! 

Profile photo of sadock

They both have built in spell checkers. Yet one more reason to go Mac Cool 

You can use Firefox regardless of what OS you’re using. No idea if IE has a spellcheck. I would think they would, but Microsoft does a lot of retarded things IMHO…..

Profile photo of sadock

…..are a technology Jacktard?

Hop on the short bus! I know most of the regulars have taken a ride recently. Maybe we should begin selling tickets…….

Nah, that’s far too complicated for Jacktards Tongue out

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of Kristyna Simonson

I’m not savy enough to do anything else to it.  It’s a cute pic (I actually cropped my sister out, lol), we had a mother’s day tea and everyone put on hats and gloves and my princess buttercup snuggled up on her lap.  I have had the same picture since I started so I decided it was time for a change!  Maybe I will try and find one I can make smaller.

I do apologize!  I usually use spell checker but there isn’t one on the site so I guess I’ll have to be more vigilant in the future!

Thanks, from both my nephew and I, for the adoption assist!

Profile photo of sadock

I thought you were a lot younger than me though. They don’t still do that, do they? I haven’t seen a ‘bagged’ book in ages!

If anyone wants to adopt  belladonna420‘s nephew feel free to tweet me via DM @sadock or email me direct at sadock76@msn.com.

You can also try emailing Scott direct, but I won’t guarantee a quick turnaround on that. He gets really backlogged sometimes. I’m guessing the queue is pretty long right now since he just returned from the Tailgate Tour. I don’t know how well he was able to get up with email while on tour.

PS If you want to be a proper grammar nazi, you simply must lead by example. Insistence not insistance. Bad girl, no biscuit Tongue out -taunt-

Profile photo of sadock

I totally didn’t recognize you. When I paged down through the thread for ‘new’ entries and saw this headline, my brain was like "Huh, who got adopted that I didn’t know about?" Then I went back up and looked at the name. I’m guessing that’s your Gram in the pic with you? These 85×85 pics are lousy for trying to see detail Frown

Gino, started reading my copy (at my insistance!  I couldn’t get him to read anything else for his required daily 20 minutes of reading for school!).  Now he’s obsessed with it and keeps asking me if he can bring it to school to show his friends!  I said NO WAY!!!!!  I don’t even let him keep it overnight!  I even covered it with a paper bag, like back in high school, to help keep it clean from his grubby little 9-year-old hands!  LOL!!!

He’d love his own copy, but I just can’t afford to buy another one for him.  If there are anymore kind and giving souls out there that would like to help nurture a young junkie, we’d both really appreciate it!

Signed with a personal note from the FDO and numbered as well!  I have to say that it brightened my day during a time when life has become wau too serious for my liking.  I just want to tell you all once again how much this truly means ro mel You are all an excepttional group of individuals.  Sadock, thank you especially for coming up with this idea.  It just goes to show what a kindhearted person you arel  Just want to thank you all again from the bottom of my heart.  I adore each and every one of you.   

Proud member of GirlCo! 

Profile photo of sadock

Y’all fuckin’ RAWK!!!

[flickr-photo:id=3311831734,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3164696453,size=s]

The kindness of this group amazes me every day.  Not only have you supported me through my horrible year, but I have been adopted as well.  As soon as I am able I fully intend to pay this kindness forward.  Sadock, you are an incredibly sweet man for thinking up this idea.  I just wish there were more men out there like the male junkies.  This has meant the world to me and I am eternally greatful.  And still in shock.  I also appreciate all of the emails and messages from people looking for me when I could not attned the book signing.  It’s nice to know I have such a great group of people looking out for me!  

Proud member of GirlCo! 

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

I know that she has been taking care of GM since her stroke. that is what I was referring to. 

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of sadock

I still don’t know why KM didn’t show up. Was it grandma related?

[flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3727549381,size=s]

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

your just a little "odd". but we love you just the same. 

I AM happy to be part of this community as well. with the DAV auction, The Rookie adoptions and all the support that is given for the Junkies having family issues (ie: KM, we love you sweetie, hope your grandma is better) pop up.

Yea, we like to party, have fun and generally tease. but when the gauntlet is dropped we junkies can pull together. 

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of sadock

I’ve been somewhat disheartened lately about mankind’s nature. All this violence centering around the healthcare issue, the likely theft of my Rookie books, etc. Working to arrange another "adoption" this morning changed that, at least for the time being.

I explained the Sigler community solidarity to my best mate and his qwife at lunch today. Our ability to pull together and "adopt" those Junkies who are in need at present to ensure they get a limited edition Rookie is amazing. You’re only one of three adoptions that I’ve facilitated. I haven’t been able to "adopt-a-junkie" myself. Things are too tight for me right now. It’s also incredible to me that none of the sponsors wants credit. All of them have been going with the pay it forward philosophy. It makes me so proud to be a junkie Cry. Seriously. We have formed an awesome community, bordering on family. Even if I am the red headed step child. Tongue out

[flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3727549381,size=s]

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

I just wanted to say that this is why I’ve stayed as active as I have for as long as I have on this forum. People here seem to truely be good people and I love that about all of you. Thanks! <3

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of sadock

Special THANK YOU to whoever took care of our sister up North. She was the inspiration for this post.Good to know my fellow OJs banded together and hooked her up. Y’all fucking RAWK!!!

Profile photo of sadock

Thought they were ~$100. Been a while sinc I got mine

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Me and my parents money is going towards this little thing called college. And food. But I’m going back for my birthday and I think I’m going to try and talk to my mom about it. She might just tell me to order it, if I really want it, and she’ll spot some more money for food and stuff. But she might already be doing that. The money system we have going on confused me. 

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of James Keeling

But I sure ain’t got no Kraken’s jersey yet… those are spendy to the point of the wife layin’ down the kybosh. 

hhhmmm…  SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #4 in crack hits (Special?  Ain’t I just)  Multiple S.H.I.T. Award Recipient!  Double Dipper and Triple Threat!  All-around uberjunkie!

Profile photo of James Eager
  • But the FDO and I got it straightened out.  (It had to do with Tech Tardiness and security) 
  • Sergeant and Fire Team Leader, X-ray company, DOMREC.  The Patchman – get your DOMREC patches from me!  UNdead Knight!  King Vampire of Vampire Corp for Sigler (VC4S)!  Pusher once, and now Pusher twice.
Profile photo of sadock

I was saddened when I discovered that one of our beloved fellow OJs who participates frequently here had not been able to order a copy of THE ROOKIE. I’m curious if any of the other OJs have an interest in doing a sort of "adopt an OJ" kind of thing. I’m confident that THE ROOKIE is going to sell out before Scott gets done with the Rookie Tailgate Tour.

I know the books are expensive, but it seems lame that this recession should prevent dedicated OJs who’ve been supportive from getting a first edition. Maybe I’m too much of an idealist. Anyways, wanted to sound the waters and see what the community at large thought of the idea. Also wanted to see if this was an isolated case or if there were more of you out there.

So speak up, both prospective "orphans" and "parents." Okay, this metaphor has gone way too far. Ending this post now.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.