This topic contains 28 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Howard DiNatale Howard DiNatale 4 years ago.

Portland Oregon Junkies

• Profile photo of Howard DiNatale

I wrote a short horror story for my sci-fi zine that takes place in the Kelly Butte civil defense bunker. I might convert this into a fanfic in the near future or I may just leave it the way it is. So far, what I’ve written is a message left by an unforunate explorer who never left the Butte. I know I’m not the greatest writer in the world, but the zine had some empty pages that needed to be filled up.

————–

Right now an excerpt from this story is in my free science fiction magazine.

http://www.outletpublishing.com/e-zines/

—————

Thanks for the story idea,

Serge

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

where is your heart? I attended ASU Go Sundevils, at the time the pope came to town. they wanted us to change our mascot and all the little guys did get covered up. but what the hell. Wildcats suck… hahaha love ya lil’ bro…

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of Howard DiNatale

Hey Portland Junkies!

If you were at the Portland tour stop, I was the guy with the camera. If you didn’t make it, here’s some footage of what you missed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFvhuI4FwOA

Here’s Scott on AM Northwest on Tuesday morning.

http://www.katu.com/amnw/segments/97683569.html

——-

“I love the smell of dead triangles in the morning…The smell, you know that rotting smell…smells like victory”

—Perry Dawsey paraphrasing Robert Duvall

My goal is to pack the Beaverton Ancestor tour stop full of Junkies. I’m going to start an underground marketing campaign to make sure that it happens. Would anyone who lives in Portland Metro like to help?

If the Beaverton tour stop has more than 50 junkies that makes it viable for future tours.

First we get the people.

Then we build the plaid tanks.

Then Portland will kneel before the FDO on Ascension Day.

After that its like the Fremen Holy War from the Dune series.

———-

“I love the smell of dead triangles in the morning…The smell, you know that rotting smell…smells like victory”

Profile photo of athanas

Sig should just have the reading/gathering in the old Shanghai tunnels.

If you are in Portland, Oregon and you are interested in starting a Portland Junkie Enclave, let me know. I’m in a city covered with bookstores, so I’m sure that there are Junkies hiding in the woodwork (or maybe underground).

The school you went to was UofA. My favorite Arizona college football team happens to be the UofA Wildcats. I hope you aren’t rooting for the Sun Devils.

Profile photo of sadock

Oh, wait, that’s exactly what the federal government has done, time and again. To every single state that has voted to legalize medical marijuana. We are a free country, except when we’re not Frown

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

Profile photo of sadock

So which school would I route for?

A life vacant of laughter is not worth exerting the effort it takes to live it.

Glaucoma is a serious epidemic in Portland. Everybody has medicine for it.

I was born and raised in Arizona before I departed for Oregon in the late 90’s. The Sun Devils/Wildcats rivalry was my introduction to college football.

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

If I do, I’ll totally let you know. Cool

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of sadock

……you may find yourself here someday. Geology is pretty big hereabouts.

http://arizona.usgs.gov/Flagstaff/

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Though, luckily for me, I hear geologists get to travel quite a bit. Part of the reason I’m going into the field.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of sadock

Sounds like we may have come from similar backgrounds. Not going into that on the forums though. Maybe if we meet someday or via PM/email.

And to anyone who wants to write me privately, I prefer email to our broke ass PM system: sadock76@msn.com

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

I love travelling, but I’d really rather do stuff when I have a job. Living off my parents money is all good and fine…only it’s not. I feel all selfish. xD

Profile photo of sadock

It took me a while to realize to isolate the stench emanating from certain people, but I finally figured it out. For the longest time I thought it was because they simply didn’t bathe. Unfortunate consequence of dress style mixed with their choice of aromatic ;-/

Damn, I miss the smileys too :(

Must go post a request on the site bugs thread.

Profile photo of athanas

any day is a good day for most. ;-)

the trick to staying sane is to just out-crazy the world

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of athanas

it’s easy to find a reason. You can do a little bit of everything in that state. It’s not often you get the chance to be standing in snow on an active volcano the same day you can be knee deep in the Pacific Ocean.
    Portland is a great city with many great pubs, microbrews, and the most strip clubs (per capita) than any other state in the union.

Plus, the soil is fantastic for growing your own produce, medicinal products or otherwise. (**nudge, nudge, wink, wink**)

Profile photo of sadock

I’ve often wanted to go to Oregon, but have never had much actual motivation. I’m kind of sedentary. Not a big traveler.

I’ve never had the urge to even go to Oregon, but 1., 4., and 6. are doing their best to convince me. xD

Profile photo of athanas

I grew up in The Dalles, but every time I made it to Portland I tried very hard to convince my folks to make a stop in.

If he doesn’t make it to Powell’s, he might also try Movie Madness. If its good enough for Bruce Campbell, its good enough for the FDO.

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

Yeah I DL’d Crazy Enough from Zune Marketplace the other day, just with I could get from Oklahoma to Portland to see the show. I hear its really great. 

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

I’m sure I have been past this park but never in it. PDX is covered with parks. Kelly Butte isn’t very well maintained, so most people enter at their own risk. The forest is overgrown and it has an abandoned civil defense bunker which has been sealed off. Reading more about Kelly Butte gave me an idea for a short story. Looks like I’ve got some writing to do.

Here are pictures of the inside of the abandoned bunker. The doorway that the photographers crawled under has been backfilled and sealed off.

http://kellybuttebunker.blogspot.com/2008/02/bunker-entrance-1957-bunker-entrance.html

Storm is still doing her thing in Portland. Her latest album, Crazy Enough, is the soundtrack from her one woman show.

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

Hey, does Storm Large and the Balls still play in Portland, or has she moved on the bigger and better things? 

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

I would like Portland Oregon to be a future tour stop for the FDO. If you are a Sigler Junkie who lives in, around (or even underneath of) PDX, I would like to drink beer with you. A Sigler/military sci-fi book club would kick ass. Portland will be subjugated long before the FDO ascends. As far as I know, we need at least 50 people to qualify as a future tour stop.

If you are a Junkie who is planning to visit or move to PDX, here are some of the benefits:

1. We have a 68,000 ft² bookstore that calls itself a “city of books”.

2. We have a staggering number of microbreweries. People who try to count them die from alcohol poisoning.

3. We are rumored to have more strip clubs per capita than any other U.S. city.

4. Voodoo Doughnut. These crazy mofos put fried bacon, oreos, tang, and grape koolaid on doughnuts.

5. Me. My secret lair is somewhere near Portland. I publish a zine of short* science fiction stories and I’m a crazy filmmaker/writer/marketing guy. What’s not to like?

6. Movie Madness. This is not what happens when you watch too many movies, its one of the coolest indie video stores on the west coast. They have loads of out of print movies and entire sections devoted to horror, sci-fi, and psychotronic movies. Some examples of category names are: “Childhood icons gone wrong”, “Hammer Films”, and “Lucio Fulci”. Movie Madness is also a movie prop museum. My favorite prop is the ear from Blue Velvet.

*If you want to publish novels, I heard about a company called Dark Overlord Media…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.