This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Renee Jordan Renee Jordan 4 years, 10 months ago.

Poor copyediting is my nemesis

until Hamilton turned them into little more than vampire / werewolf / badass chick threesomes with the thinnest amount of story inbetween. 

**UNdead / GirlCo: All we wanna do is eat your brains. We’re not unreasonable, I mean, no one’s going to eat your eyes.**

And I’m only in Chapter 2. As far as I’m concerned, you shouldn’t be in the publishing business if you can’t copyedit your novel properly.THE ROOKIE’s cover price was $34.95. That’s $10.00 above your normal hardcover novel. Yes, it does have some bells and whistles, but it is still a book when it comes right down to it. There’s no sense putting shiny wrapping on an inferior product.

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

But I didn’t find it too distracting. The FDO gets a pass on the self-published books, as far as I’m concerned. Now the ones from Crown — those better be damn-near perfect.

….. that ONLY use spellcheck. There are some things that a puker simply can’t catch and you need a human being for. Two of the most frustrating things to me are when you have either 1) two of the exact same word next to each other or 2) what is obviously the wrong word left in. A spell/grammar checker will not catch either of those, but they’re easy for a human to see and they totally disrupt the reading experience. 

After listening to Scott’s interview on Dead Robot’s I’m kind of dreading reading THE ROOKIE. He mentioned that D0M wasn’t able to afford a copy editor. I imagine it is going to be chalked full of errors. I know INFECTED had several in the UK paperback edition that I read.

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

more than that and I get dristracted. spellcheck doesn’t get everything especially when you spell another word…

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Partly because I do this technical writing thing for a living and precise language counts! They have people who are paid to do that and my computer spell checker can catch a lot of those things. Arggghhh. The Your/you’re is especially annoying. Plus I get on the more than/higher than thing (a personal bugaboo). You can have more mashed potatoes, but you need to heat the oven to higher than 450 degrees. 

The grammar patrol lives!

Yes, it also bugs me to no end. I cringe when I read the misuse of words like your, you’re, their and there all over the Interweb as well. Thankfully, I’ve not run across too many in my books I’ve read. But yes, it’s one of the things that turns me off of fanfic as well.

BigJohn

I love my Anita Blake novels, but there are simple words misspelled, it bugs me to no end.

I AM the cat in the PT Cruiser!

Does the lack of thorough copyediting drive anyone else nuts? It totally takes me out of a good novel when I come across glaring errors in spelling, grammar, or simple typos. It also sets a bad example. Many people learn their spelling from books after all.

The sad thing is that large publishers have full time employees who get paid to prevent this stuff from seeing print. So how do these mistakes make it into mass market paperbacks? Those editions have been screened not only by the editors but also by everyone who bought the hardcover.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.