This topic contains 35 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of jokerdas jokerdas 2 years, 4 months ago.

PASSENGER kicked my ass

• Profile photo of jokerdas

I know I know… I am a little behind in my podcasts. Patiently awaiting The MVP podcasts to start in September, but anyway…

Passengers… does anyone else think the nano-mites are actually Prowatt <spelling> race from the GFL series?

<<Certificate of Awesome-ticity>>

Profile photo of Chris Toohey

The logically-sound idea of nanomeds-gone-wrong resulting in “The Passenger Virus” was genius, and it’s inclusion in the world of The Crypt was a masterstroke. The Crypt screams (no pun intended) “horror”, and there’s nothing more horrifying then losing control of your body to something with a purpose.

Add to that the idea that you are completely aware of what you’re doing and the nanomeds don’t bother to block any of the sensations (you still feel the pain, can still see what you’re doing, still taste)… it makes for a truly horrifying situation.

In traditional zombie fiction, it’s a given that you should kill the creature as it’s no longer your loved one. With “The Passenger Virus”, it’s still very much them – they’re just not in the driver’s seat.

-Chris Toohey
    Blogger : Podcaster : Geek
    http://www.twitter.com/ChrisToohey

Profile photo of JT Manis

of Sigler’s has ever managed to creep me out. It just can’t be done. There’ve been a few times when I’ve figuratively been on the edge of my seat, but that’s not fear, just anticipation.

Profile photo of Pons Matal
     But it was the implications that the story may lead to something more down the road that got me excited.

"What the hell is happening? I blew up the building. Why? Because you made a phone call."

Profile photo of Evan Curry

i didnt much care 4 this one

Im a  friend of death, a brother of luck and a son of a bitch!

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

I’m a bigger country boy than that guy was… *shiver*

Yes, I’m a hick, whats your point?

Western Carolina Catamounts Sports update:

WCU Womens’ Track and Field came in 2nd in the SOCON championships.

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

I walked downtown at night, after reading Snipe Hunt.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (6666 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

but Snipe Hunt scared me more. Infact, Snipe Hunt is the ONLY work of sigler to scare/creep me out…

Yes, I’m a hick, whats your point?

Western Carolina Catamounts Sports update:

WCU Womens’ Track and Field came in 2nd in the SOCON championships.

a little payback for what the "Bunny" did to the Tooth Fairy.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (6666 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of J.P.

I’m not saying it was wrong! Stop judging me. (Grin!)

– “When I get a little money I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes.” – Erasmus

Profile photo of Wolf

after what he did to the Easter Bunny!

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m]

Profile photo of J.P.

and our parents told us to be patient–Santa will come. Then Sigler killed Santa.

– “When I get a little money I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes.” – Erasmus

more will come.

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (6060 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of Mark Wheeler

of a book about the wars and different battles. Maybe after Infected, Contagious, and Pandemic but before The Rookie. Perhaps while the races are still fighting before the Kradarackians intervened. (spelled terribley i know) lol

"So do you guys have Battletoads..?"

starts to take shape in infected, contagious, and nocturnal

I AM not just junkie, I AM a pusher man (6060 and climbing) & I AM Sadocks Tangent Brother.

Profile photo of Mark Wheeler

Passanger is by far my favorite short work by scott. I wish it couldve been longer though! Perhaps a prequel to how the rookie universe came to be could be in order.

"So do you guys have Battletoads..?"

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

Grey Wolf

Clean up guys in that get up!

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

You are crazy dude. I agree, Passenger should be longer. It gives a great hit.Grey Wolf

Starting from the conflict responsible for the conception top secret facility with the intention of producing the super intelligent med nanites and their eventual acquisition of a semi sentient state and escape from the facility. Then the struggle to destroy the ultimate creation that can kill, revive and repair the human host to be used for their own purposes. I imagine as time went on they would adapt to a more humanlike behavior making them harder to distinguish from the norms.

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

Profile photo of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

rail guns, biohazzard suit wearing zombies, and psycotic killers, all rolled up in a nice little war-zone package? I WANT MORE!!!

—–

"Get sacrificed! I don’t subscribe to your religion!" – Ringo

Profile photo of Matt Hartman

Yay, this story kicked my arse. It was a blood pumping edjaculate spewing thrill ride. The whole thing played out so vividly in my mind it was like John Mctiernan or George A Romero were in my head directing it.

Profile photo of J.P.

I have to humbly admit I’ve been behind on the Bloodcast stories, but not so much now. I listened to Passenger and Red Man yesterday and loved them both. Passenger–I strongly agree with earlier posts, Scott. You’ve struck gold with the whole Rookie Universe setting. There’s so much room to place stories there! (OK, bad pun.) More, more, more! Even about the PB&J Keeling. That story line shows lots of promise.

"Everything takes longer than it does." –Me

Profile photo of Maia W

The Passenger just moved up with Snipe Hunt to my top Sigler short story faves. Planning to listen to it again soon.

————
    KnitWitch

Profile photo of Bruce "Icepick" Press

Honestly, Scott. I think Rookie is your best work to date and Passenger just pushed that a bit farther. I grew up reading Niven, Asimov and Heinlein exploring consistent Universes through unrelated stories. I think it’s one of the best aspects of genre fiction.

Icepick
    http://www.brucepress.net

Profile photo of Ray Moore

Just listened to The Passenger, and having been in the military, and seeing some of the shady shit that story gave me the creeps!
    So thanks for the interrupted sleep in my future!

Sometimes you just need to drop your pants and slide on the ice!

Profile photo of Stephen Pagan

You definately have to write more in the Rookie Universe, seeing as we know almost nothing about it’s history aside from the last Galactic War, and the brief time line you gave at the GFL sight. More on the history please so I can prepare my future children for what is to come.

Denver 4 President

Profile photo of ericwoodford

1 part Night of the Living Dead
    1 part Rookie
    1 part cool science gone horribly wrong
    —————-
    Loved it..

So do the Zombie forces ever make it off the planet? do they just nuke the place and the aliens move it??

Eric

Profile photo of James Keeling

As soon as I realized Passenger was set in the Rookie universe I started to shake and bounce off the walls like a Sklorno male set loose in a locker room full of hot female receivers! Sorry Musara, Sorry folks at home.

There’s so much you can do with this universe. The invasion of the Ace would be cool to read about.

This missive brought to you by SynapticJam – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken

Profile photo of Dustin Climer

I need to put all of his bloodcasts onto the ole ZVM, I dropped the ball after Rookie, and basically started waiting for Nocturnal and such.

Profile photo of Robin Hudson

How cool is that!?

Profile photo of Brad P. from NJ

I love to see what he’s doing with this universe.

Often, I’ve seen authors create a rich, dynamic universe, write a trilogy, and then move on. I’m hoping we see this universe’s timeline really filled out with lots of work.

——-

Whole Lot of Nonsense PodCast – http://www.wholelotofnonsense.org
    UUCSH Sunday Services – http://uucsh.libsyn.com
    Follow Me – http://www.twitter.com/bpende
    Pownce on Me – http://www.pownce.com/bpende

Profile photo of Jesse Sharrow

The Universe that scott has thought up rivals star wars. Everything is linked. The rookie is linked to earthcore, earthcore to infection, etc. Scott, your imagination is amazing. I bow before you!

Profile photo of Scott Gallatin

I agree. I’m looking forward to more spinoffs of Rookie.

Profile photo of Jesse Sharrow

I loved it. Great story. I could listen to a full book on that alone. I hope he does more.

Profile photo of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

who else out there in junkie land had their ass kicked by the latest and greatest from Scott Sigler?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.