This topic contains 67 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of J.P. J.P. 6 years, 3 months ago.

Parsec Finalists announced

• Profile photo of J.P.

thanks to Netflix! We should be watching it later this week. Yeahhhhhh…

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

Profile photo of Gmork

Itreally does build.  If you start at five you’re going to think you had some prescription painkillrs with that ever-present gin Wink

Extremely important to start with the first episode and go sequentially.

Don’t blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. Whatever you do, don’t blink.

Profile photo of Jason Collins

It’s a series you have to pay attention to. I would start with Disc 1

Assassins do it from behind

if it aint broke…

Profile photo of J.P.

They have seasons 5-7 in the store here in Germany. Do each of the seasons build on the previous ones, or can we jump right in at #5? If we have to start at the beginning, we’ll bump the first season up in our Netflix queue. Please advise Shadygirl and I, oh wise Gmork… (PS: The ones in the store are the Platinum edition.)

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

Profile photo of J.P.

There are a bunch of movies you can rent that’ll help restore your memory. You’ll laugh until you stop!

Profile photo of J.P.

how the old school stuff still works the best!?

but you are still limited by the uploading speed of the ppl you are downloading from. Unless you get something with LOTS of seeders and almost no leechers its impossible to get anything close to your (at least, my) full bandwidth potential

Profile photo of Gmork

They rock….and roll!

Don’t blink. Blink and you’re dead. Don’t turn your back. Don’t look away. Whatever you do, don’t blink.

your isp’s NNTP settings (almost every ISP offers the service) and use those in a news grabber like newsbin. if you pm me I can break down the process for you. its a couple of extra steps compared to, say P2P but it is completly worth it. I download on a heavy day like 50gigs of video, audio, apps, etc.. you name it. :)

Profile photo of Wolf

"I thought, therefore, I was."

Usenet also = Full bandwidth downloading (I get my movies at 15Mbps)Cool

Profile photo of Wolf

Usenet=Free lol

Profile photo of J.P.

that there’s going to be an Actors’ Guild strike this season. Gonna add to the chaos. I guess we’ll all be hanging out on this site, and probably running Netflix ragged!

cant wait!

Profile photo of Wolf

I’ve heard of the 1970s, but I don’t remember a damned thing about em. 

Profile photo of Gmork

Last week I received my fall batch of shoes.

2 pairs of Steven Madden and a pair of Söfft … all 3 inch heels and all Mary Jane’s style. They are fab!!

Profile photo of sadock

I’m guessing your not the type of lady who has shoe-gasms, but I could be wrong there.

Utinni!! Jawas shop Podiobooks.com for undiluted
     crack from our Future Dark Overlord. Utinni!!

Profile photo of Gmork

Yeah, but when you see them you’re gonna think I need a life!

Profile photo of J.P.

You did, didn’t you! Come on, you gotta share! (Send the link discretely if necessary. Shadygirl and I are dying to see the Gmorkian creativity!)

that the writers strike screwed up thier schedule and it wont be until sometime late in the first quarter :(

You can download all the episodes through bittorrent *yuck* or usenet *yay*

get your fix on!

Profile photo of Gmork

I’ve been a bit obsessed with action figures lately (such a fangirl) … and I’ve got some new pics on flickr that I’m a little too self conscience to post (as it would *really* reveal the level of fangirl-ness [gmorkism] I am at)

Profile photo of J.P.

Taking shots at the dead guy. Wow. Since your triumphant return, you’ve been full of pep and verve!

Profile photo of J.P.

The new stuff though. I remember the 1970s and don’t want to relive the better part of it, including the original BSG.

Profile photo of Thomas Reed
    Profile photo of sadock

Utinni!! Jawas shop Podiobooks.com for undiluted
     crack from our Future Dark Overlord. Utinni!!

Profile photo of J.P.

just don’t seem to move much… (But they are coooooool!)

Profile photo of Gmork

I watched the Platinum Perfect collection.  It had both commentaries and extra director cut scenes.  It was really neat.  I ended up purchasing a couple action figures from the series too!

frakin skin jobs need to release the rest of the season!   it’s BS…G

I originally watched the whole series when it came out in the 90’s, but they have just released (and are still releasing) Evangelion: Rebuild, which is a retelling of the whole story kind of.

P.S. also you have to watch it with the original Japanese audio the Dub takes away from the story somehow ( i’ve watched both the Japanese is by far my favorite)

Profile photo of J.P.

But nonetheless: Congrats Scott! This is awesome!

Profile photo of sadock

full list at http://parsecawards.com/node/542

– hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

I still like Nocturnal the best thought.

"Even crazy people sometimes base their fiction on an ounce of truth" -S. Sigler

Profile photo of Gmork

2008 Parsecs winner for Best Short Story: Red Man by Scott Sigler

Celebration time…Come on!

Profile photo of J.P.

The 2008 Parsec Awards were supposed to be announced today, but the list hasn’t come out yet. It could be any time–any moment! The suspense is killing me. (OK, not actually… but it’s still very suspenseful!)

Profile photo of J.P.

A branch–that’s even better! (Besides, I was just being silly and alluding to the old Tandy advertisements: the ones that used to say they were a tiny little subdivision of Hallmark. At least I think I’m remembering that correctly…)

Profile photo of J.P.

Shadygirl just mentioned that based on your comments, this will be right up my alley. (And for any of you pervs out there: that’s not a euphemism for anything biological or sexual.)

Profile photo of sadock

So any calculus issues get sent his way, right?

Profile photo of sadock

That nearly all religions begin as a way of life. Over time, they become an institution, develop dogma etc.

I have worlds more respect for Christians who believe in a personal relationship with God than I do for Catholics in general, or pretty much any religion which has developed into an inflexible institution. I’m a huge fan of spirituality, but despise organized religion. It causes way too much suffering for my taste. Wow, really didn’t plan to go there. Cest la vie. Hopefully no one gets butt hurt about it.

Anyways, I was highly entertained at your choices of -isms. If you look at the ones you chose, most of them are actually much more lifestyle oriented. Even the religions you chose ;) That’s certainly a subjective judgment on my part, but I was still amused.

Profile photo of Gmork

Buddhism…Hinduism?

ooooh and for that matter agnosticism, alcoholism, altruism, communism, dogmatism, fatalism, narcissism, hypnotism, geocentrism, malapropismCool

Actually, it’s appropriate for beliefs and ways of life.  The Greek derivation of the suffix "-ism" includes a "belief in" or the "practice of" as well as the "condition of".

Profile photo of sadock

I think of -isms as more of a lifestyle than a religion, but whatever works. I suppose that most religions are begun by people emulating a prophet or other God-type figure. The difference between cult and religion gets a bit dicey. Simple number of followers? Hmmm.

Profile photo of sadock

Profile photo of Gmork

A word of caution…the whole story is told in wha amounts to metaphors.  I had to watch it twice just to try to make sense of it!  It’s visually beautiful (for as old a story as it is) but it was almost made to leave you with more questions than ansswers.  Intriguing but maddening at the same time.

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

it was the one of the first podcast novels that I had started to listen to last October. That, Infection, and Heaven Season 1.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of Gmork

I love these!

Profile photo of Gmork

I feel better…I’d love to have it as a subdivision of Siglerism….or maybe it’s a branch of Siglerism, like the Marines are a branch of the Service ;)

Profile photo of ogreoregon

A Gmorkbag would be a person who does not appreciate the outstanding dedication and effort displayed by our Gmork in all the wonderful wiki pages.
    and Gmorkbaggery would be the act of showing disrespect 
    and not appreciating the above mentioned effort.
    and of course Gmorkbaggery could only be committed by a Gmorkbag
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of J.P.

a tiny little subdivision of Siglarism: much like Hallmark Cards.

Profile photo of J.P.

Netflix has NGE and it’s in our queue! The whole frackin’ series! And un-gmorky is added!

Profile photo of Gmork

Could I really hope to start my own religion?  Somehow it seems like blasphemy towards Siglerism, yet the inner Evil Me is salivating…what to do!

Profile photo of sadock

You must share….

I assume you have the obvious ones:

Gmorky, Gmorkish: 1)Possessing Gmork-like attributes 2)Behaving like Gmork

Non-Gmorkish, un-Gmorky: 1)Behaving contrary to Gmork 2)Not in the spirit of Gmork

Gmorkism: 1)Behavior exhibited by Gmork 2)short trick to living life espoused by Gmork

Gmorkianity: 1)Religion of Gmorkishness

Profile photo of Gmork

Yeah, I’ve been behind on some of the posts…I was sidetracked by rewatching the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion series….twice…..over the past two weeks. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Siggy & the elusive Parsec award this weekend.  Really bummed I can’t be at Dragon Con.  

Oh and JP, please add "un-gmorky" to the ever-growning Gmork Lexicon.  Definintion….FTW 

~~~ mwhuahahahahaha … so it’s, you know, coming along ~~~~~~~

Profile photo of sadock

You’re usually right on top of the forum posts. Yeah, Scott was really annoyed about Nocturnal. But he was totally psyched about so many making it in, as was I. We’ll find out this weekend if the FDO finally gets recognized with a Parsec or not. I’m not familiar with all of the competion, but I know Huntress will be very difficult to beat. I did not listen to their 10 minute submission though. 

Profile photo of Gmork

I’m late to this party but what great news about the qualifiers.

Blows wad that Nocturnal didn’t make it in, but if/when any of the qualifiers win it will hopefully ease the pain!

~~~ mwhuahahahahaha … so it’s, you know, coming along ~~~~~~~

but I liked Beautiful Red. I need to catch up on it though.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of sadock

What is the Treed math thing? I’ve seen it mentioned in passing several times, but it must have been before I became active. I’m clueless as to what it means anytime it comes up.

Profile photo of J.P.

Ever since treed rigged for silent running (but don’t worry, he WILL be back!), our collective math skills have gone right in the toilet. We’re nothing but a bunch of undisciplined, mathematically unsupervised hooligans and yardies.

Profile photo of sadock

about junkies being able to do math….Cest la vie. I shouldn’t judge all by the performance of some. Bad Arioch! No biscuit!

Profile photo of Amos Rouell

But sence d3ms t3h rules. It’s all good.

Any idea where the flyers are? I wanna paper the town.

Profile photo of J.P.

Only two of the remaining five can win. They’re in the same category… I prescribe for you a few passes through the Rolling Stones’ “Shattered.” You’ll feel better.

Profile photo of sadock

Scott was NOT happy about that….

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

Congrats Scott on making it to the finals!

"Even crazy people sometimes base their fiction on an ounce of truth" -Scott Sigler

Profile photo of Amos Rouell

I have liked all of Sigler’s work so far. There’s no denying talent. Which is why I can’t believe nocturnal didn’t make it. If at least three of his remaining 5 don’t win, my faith in humanity will be shattered!

Profile photo of ogreoregon

Can’t wait to see which ones will win!
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Justin Crumpler

I like heaven, but by god Snipe hunt better kick the snot out of it!

Nocturnal wasn’t a finalist SurprisedFrown

G-Man

Profile photo of sadock

Scott made the short list with 5 out of the 8 items we submitted:

Parsec Award 2008 Finalists

Best Speculative Fiction Story (Short Form)

• Metamor Huntress
    • Scott Sigler: error3 reconstruct :|::|:
    • Scott Sigler: Red Man
    • Scott Sigler: Kissyman
    • Variant Frequency Delve

Best Speculative Fiction Story (Novella Form)

• The Arwen, Season 2: Ulliam
    • Beautiful Red
    • Heaven – Season Four: Wasteland
    • How to Succeed in Evil
    • Scott Sigler: Passenger
    • Scott Sigler: Snipe Hunt

Winners will be announced at Dragon Con

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.