This topic contains 14 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barbara Jungbauer Barbara Jungbauer 6 years, 7 months ago.

Outlines, WTF?

• Profile photo of Barbara Jungbauer

With my three novels (one of which bounced around Warner Books for a year before they cancelled the series) I had a single line pop into my head and I had to figure out what it meant.
    I really need to sit down and write 4 pages of day of "Meal Ticket".
    If a major scene occurred, I’d sit down and start writing, typing whatever.  Sometimes they ended up on the floor and sometimes they had a chapter built around them.
    I’d write what poured out and then fill in the blanks.
    Tastes Like Chicken

Profile photo of ogreoregon

I loved the short story about the heart surgery… really nice.

*I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of ogreoregon

but I guess I am in awe of all the wonderfully talented people that I have learned about here and all because of this Sigler guy who wants to take over the world…….. all the writers, podcaters,artists, musicians, and bloggers and just plain old fun Junkie types……people I would have never, in a million years, ever have had the pleasure of knowing about and learning from.
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Thomas Reed
    Profile photo of James Keeling

It’s gone through a couple of re-writes and edits… I just sent a better version to your iwon account.  Let me know what you think. 

SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK)

I can sure send it to you if you’re interested in reading it… It’s just a short story… not even 8,000 words…  And I think I’m pretty much done with it…   

Profile photo of Doug Warren

I’d like to hear more.

My 11 year old called me sick and twisted…  Here’s the prologue…  Let me know if it grabs you…

Prologue 

The rain fell in thick heavy droplets from his long brown hair, mixing with the tears and blood that poured in torrents down his cheek.  “Why Tommy?  Why are you doing this?” Coming from behind the brambles and thorns, his voice sounded hollow and faint in his own ears, but even as he spoke, he knew his brother could hear him from across the clearing as clearly as if he were whispering into his ear. 

“It has to be this way Ritchie, and it’s Tom!” His brother’s voice, laced with venom, boomed at him across the expanse of prairie grass.  The trees surrounding the clearing listed violently to the side as the winds whipped the falling rain into a maelstrom of waves that crashed against the brothers, drenching them. 

Some of my stuff is written for Junior High kids. I figure you should start twisting them early. I am already geeking up my 2-yr old son.

http://www.devonblake.com

http://www.eggwife.blogspot.com

http://www.bombastandthunder.blogspot.com

Beginning and end… then once I get the main story down, I go back through and see the glaring holes my writing has left me to fill.  Sometimes for background information, sometimes for pacing…. 

I have a beginning point and an end point and often a few big ideas to hit inbetween, but the rest just flows.  I normally know what kind of feel I want for the piece, so the style is already established when I start. The details grow organically through the writing process.  This could be the wrong way to do it, but it works for me and works with my lazy nature.

-do you have an end in mind? along with all the subplots and misdirections? or do they just happen as you write? i have always been curious about this, never have written myself (i’ve written others, but they didn’t like it that i used a sharpie)
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

I’ve always just written and then gone back to tighten things up.  What’s the secret oh great one? 

I gotta throw myself on the mercy of the great one and beg a boon. What is the deal with outlines? Do you use them when you write, or does the stuff just pour from your magnificent brain? I use very general outline with few details, normally only a few bullet points for major plot events.  The rest just fills itself in as I write. I’d like to know what works for you, oh great one.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.