This topic contains 11 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Gmork Gmork 6 years, 1 month ago.

Monologues

• Profile photo of Gmork

It’s really about the emotional arch of the character in the monologue rather than the source.

Profile photo of Liam McCoy

I was wondering what the monologue was for.

If it is a more serious, professional setting, Shakespeare always goes over well.

Lady Percy has an excellent speech in Henry IV, part two. 

Profile photo of Pons Matal

to the one with the pearly whites!

“I can’t tell if that’s funny or really scary.”

Profile photo of Gmork

Wow, Wolf… I love that monologue!! Very powerful with a nice emotional range.  I almost wish I had done that for my first class!

Oh and regarding the Big O scene…everyone always thinks it’s the "big o" scene from When Harry Met Sally" when I first mention it Tongue out.  This is the scene I did in my first class…

"When Joe and I first started seeing each other, we wanted exactly the same thing. We wanted to live together, but we didn’t want to get married because anytime anyone we knew got married, it ruined their relationship. They practically never had sex again. It’s true, it’s one of the secrets no one ever tells you. I would sit around with my girlfriends who have kids well, my one girlfriend who has kids, Alice, and she would complain about how she and Gary never did it anymore. She didn’t even complain about it now that I think about it. She just said it matter-of-factly. She said they were up all night, they were both exhausted, the kids just took every sexual impulse out of them. And Joe and I used to talk about it and wed say we were so lucky to have this wonderful relationship, we can have sex on the kitchen floor and not worry about the kids walking in; we can fly off to Rome on a moments notice. And then one day I was taking Alice’s little girl for the afternoon because I’d promised her I’d take her to the circus and we were in the cab playing "I Spy" I spy a mailbox, I spy a lamppost and she looked out the window and she saw this man and this woman and these two little kids, and the man had one of the kids on his shoulders and Alice’s little girl said, "I spy a family," and I started to cry. You know, I just started crying. And I went home and I said, "The thing is, Joe, we never do fly off to Rome on a moments notice." And that kitchen floor? Not once. It’s this very cold, hard Mexican ceramic tile. Anyway, we talked about it for a long time and I said, this is what I want, and he said, well, I don’t, and I said well, I guess it’s over, and he left. And the thing is, I feel fine. I am over him, I mean, I really am over him. That was it for him, that was the most he could give, and every time I think about it, I am more and more convinced that I did the right thing."

Profile photo of Wolf

If you could stretch it out for two minutes, just do the fake orgasm scene. At least you’ld get Major Kudos from the male instructors. 

..No Bounce..

…No Play…

On a more serious note. I don’t know what the qualifications for a pure monologue will be but I think this is one of my favorites. Barbara Streisand in Nuts

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge8NzWJ9FgY&feature=related

Let us know what you choose and please, pretty please, record it and post it!

Profile photo of Gmork

It can be from anything really….the class is specifically studying acting in films but the monologue itself can be from anything.  It’s really jsut being used to judge how well we can communicate the emotions of the character.  I haven’t listened to anyting off of knitwitch’s site before….thanks for the suggestion, I’ll check it out!

Profile photo of ogreoregon

I have a favorite story I heard on knitwitche’s website, it was Cloud Dragon Skys, by Nora K. Jemisin, read by knitwitch herself.  I loved the beginning as we learn about who is speaking to us.  But there are several places that have a great, strong feminine point of view. could somthing like that work? or does it have to be a movie or play?
    *I’m Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Gmork

You know, I’ve been through jsut about all of the movie monologues but I didn’t realize whysanity had TV monologues!  Your suggestions are brilliant!  I think I need to spend a little more time perusing that section of the site.

Thanks again Krunchy & Twowire!

Profile photo of Justin Crumpler

The first thing that came to mind (before i saw the female part) was this monologue from B5 (i used it back in HS):

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/babylon.html (and wierd thing is I found that link without realizing it from Twowire’s post)

Then the second thing was "oh what the hell do it anyways".  Then I came to my senses and started digging for something good, and you’re right.  its damned hard to find a good one that doesnt go off on the sex/relationship tangent.  The best I could come up with after about 20 minutes of searching (both my caffine deprived brain, and the internet) was this:

The one on top not the other one.

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/greys2.html

Once I have a few hours sleep I will give it another go.

Profile photo of Gmork

I’m not one to keep still… I admire the talents of real actors (not your Paris Hilton’s and the like) but the one’s who can leave all their hang ups at the door and commit themselves to the part they play.  So I decided to check out an acting class and it’s been a lot of fun!

Thanks for the link…you’d be interested to know that the instructor in my first class recommended that very site as well!  I’ve been through most of those and what is entirely unnerving is how many of them center around sex or failed relationships.   I was hoping the movie freaks that hang out here could think of some instances where a female actor made in a movie made enough of an impression … in two minutes that is! 

Profile photo of Pons Matal

Is there anything you dont do? Anyway, I cant think of anything off the top of my head but I have a link you might look at that list’s many Female monologues from many different film sources.

http://www.whysanity.net/monos/female.html

“I can’t tell if that’s funny or really scary.”

Profile photo of Gmork

So, we have a pretty diverse group of people here….I am hoping someone can help me out.

I have a theatre class coming up in October and need a 1-2 minute monologue that I can do on the first night.  The hitch here is that there are tons of good male monologues but sparingly few females ones and obviously (or maybe not so obviously) I need a female monologue.

To give you an idea, the first acting class I took back at the beginning of the year I used a two minute monologue from "When Harry Met Sally".  It can be from a movie or play and can be dramatic or comedic.  So gimme so suggestions Junkies!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.