This topic contains 8 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Daniel Rockel Daniel Rockel 5 years, 5 months ago.

Madden Football – GFL Edition

• Profile photo of Daniel Rockel

I think GFL style madden would work better as a turn based strategy mod of a game like GW’s Bloodbowl.

Any video game version of it would ballance playability with respect for the shere insanity of the speed of the game..

If anything it would turn into a quarterback simulator, where you have to memorize the plays and know whether the receiver looks open before they are even open. 

Profile photo of Evan Curry

~~Hey, what kinda party is this? There’s no booze and only one hooker~~

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

but to really get an accurate feel, it seems like it would be better to start from scratch, especially if you’re going to combine a full-featured football sim with a GTA-type game. 

Just run the plays I call, Barnes!

u alter the game physisc

You probably could, but the gameplay and physics would still be constrained to whatever game you mod. You could have the look of The Rookie, but not the important things like 20ft leaps from Sklorno or hits that send the fullback sailing 30 feet through the air. 

couldt some one make a rooke mod 4 what ever game

…dug out the NCAA 2005 disc that came with my original Xbox the other day. While I’ve watched people play before, I’d never actually been behind the controller myself for a football game. Wow, there’s a lot of stuff going on there. As fast as a regular game moves, I can only imagine how much faster a GFL game would play. I bet you’d have to nerf the speed some to keep the game within a reasonable difficulty.

Profile photo of Mark Wheeler

is a very good idea! I would LOVE to play this game. Now i know that obviouly a consel version isn’t happening anytime but even a little Flash game based on GFL footbal could be really cool. Are there perhaps any junkies in the forums that make their own flash games for fun? It wouldnt have to be Insanely good, just a fun little footbal game with Rookie charecters. I think Scott should really get on this, it could also be a really good (and inexpensive) way to help promote the book on a ton of different game sites and to a bunch of new people. Just an idea, but a damn good one! Thank you for starting this awesome thread that should have been started a while ago! lol

"So do you guys have Battletoads..?"

I never had more than a passing interest in football before listening to The Rookie. I actually got more enjoyment out of watching people play football video games than from watching actual games. That got me thinking, how freaking cool would a GFL game for consoles be?!? So I asked myself what a GFL game should be like. 

Scott if you’re reading this, just remember that I get a creative credit in the game and a reasonable percentage of the profits. Much respect for the FDO & all, but a sista gots to get paid, you know what I’m sayin?

So, like most football VGs out there, you have several options for play. You can pick a pre-made team from any Tier and play against any other team in that Tier, which also has an online play option so you can get pick-up games or play in organized tournaments, or just scrimmage (no stats are recorded from scrimmage play). "Tournament Mode" lets you start with a Tier 3 team and work your way up, either with a pre-existing team or one you build yourself. You can also do a "Story Mode", which incorporates some kind of crime / underworld storyline in with the football games, played in a third-person view. Perhaps this part of the game will be something like the Grand Theft Auto games, I dunno. If Gen. Siglerisimo is involved though, I can imagine that we will see a little of the old ultra-violence.

The character modeling and physics will be very important, because each different race should have in-game abilities that are accurate to their descriptions in the book. There should also be a "Dream Team" option where you can custom build your team, choosing from all the players from a particular Tier or custom build your players individually by starting with a blank species template and a set number of points to divide among attributes like speed, strength, vertical leap, etc. One cool thing about "Dream Team" play is that you can assign any species to any position. You want a 500Lb Heavy-G Human at QB? No problem! Quyth Warriors for defensive linemen? You got it! Heck, you could field a team made of nothing but Ki if you want to.

For the record, I do not like sports games, but I would TOTALLY play that game.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.