This topic contains 15 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Pons Matal Pons Matal 4 years, 5 months ago.

Is there any way to link directly to comments which are beyond the first page of a forum thread?

It is a little ambiguous.

For some reason when you want to link directly a post you have to the add the page number the post (if its not on page 1) is located on and the comment number to link (?page=(original post page number – 1/). In the edited link you minus 1 from the original page number. Example, if its on page #10 in the link you have use page #9? Weird! Maybe because page one/first page in the thread doesnt get counted?

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/1110#comment-90662 What you get when you copy and paste. The original link is on page 9 and is comment #90662

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/1110?page=8/#comment-90662 What the link should look like after editing. It would have helped if I used the same link in the example but I wanted to pick on Kali! :p

Sorry for the confusion. Also sorry cuz now it just seems to be a convoluted explanation?

The Google thing, I’m not sure about that one? You can search only the first page of each forum thread and find a result. If the search query is on page 2 or higher the query isnt found. Maybe again it has something to do with page #’s or the posts being embedded deeper in the thread?

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]
    KISS’d by Sigler. Honored recipient of the 2009 “Iron Man” Award.
    Funky Name Brotha, Gutter Brethren & Pusher Twice Over!

Was actually just trying to poke fun at you!:)

Still no idea why your comment #s are different in your original post, but have figured out how to use your system for in house posting. Thanks, my FNB!

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

It takes me to a deeper page, but generally not the correct page and definitely not to the correct comment. Is it dependent on how many comments per page you have your system set on?

———————————————————-

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

I’m not 100% sure what you’re saying. You seem to be contradicting yourself somewhat. And the examples don’t seem to match. Either way, it doesn’t fix the Google linking problem, does it? That’s the larger issue.

But, for in house use, it would still be nice to have a way to point to ancient comments. I’ll see if I can figure out how you got it to work.

———————————————————-

I played around with the links a little and found a way to link directly to a post on any page. Its a little strange but if you want to do it you can.

If the original copied link to a comment looked like this

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/1110#comment-90547

edit the link to look like this

http://www.scottsigler.com/node/1110?page=6/#comment-91201

Basically you adding the ?page=# – 1/ and dont ask me why its the page # – 1 cuz I dont know! Its a little work but it works.

P.S Yes Kali! ;p

It used to work at one time. I remember being able to link directly to a comment. Maybe that was lost in a drupal update?

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, inventor of words

It’s the one on the far right.

Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent Victim of GirlCo [flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s]

Now I know you can do this but do not know how…. charity help for a technotard again please sadock … thanks

…..a LOT of people didn’t realize the comments/page was adjustable. So it has already served a positive purpose. Baby W00T.

Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent Victim of GirlCo [flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s]

didn’t even notice that was an option. thanks as well sadock!

was able to replicate the issue here as well.

Thanks for that tip Sadock! But your right. It still only works if the comment in question is on page 1 of the thread.

Pusher, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

At least it isn’t a Vista issue. Now hopefully Pulsar can fix the other problem. After I thought of the Google issue, it’s a much bigger deal.

And now I can get the first page posts to link directly to the comment! Expanded how many per page to, which helps!

Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

I could have sworn that this function used to work correctly, but now it is not functioning properly. For some people (Vista users?) even the front page links don’t work correctly. Normally a properly done comment link takes you directly to that comment. To illustrate the problem I have created two examples below. My system is set for 200 comments per page. Since the problem seems to be oriented around whether the comment is on page 1 or not, you may need that to replicate the issue.

1. http://www.scottsigler.com/node/677#comment-86893 – Titled “You can do what my sister-in-law does” halfway down page 1 in the random discussion thread. The direct link works no problem
    2. http://www.scottsigler.com/node/677#comment-74489 – Titled “Off the best concert. Ever” halfway down page 7 in the random discussion thread. This link pops you back to the top of page 1 of the random discussion thread. I did notice that the existing links bounce you back to page 1 as well. It does not need to be a URL for this to happen. (ie clicking on any comment’s individual hotlink directly will bounce you back to page 1 of that thread.)

Is this done intentionally for some reason or is this a part of the site that’s broken? Seems that Google and other search engines would need to be able to access those links somehow, wouldn’t they? Could you look into this for us please?

Thank You!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.