This topic contains 12 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kate Cheevers Kate Cheevers 3 years, 5 months ago.

Is the Junkie Horde up for an NPR rush?

• Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of sadock

…titles. THE ROOKIE seemed like our best bet to go with. Hopefully you got something in before the polls closed. Unfortunately, they didn’t list a closing time (or else I totally missed it somehow Frown)

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of sadock

….back today to enter a third set.

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of Byron Metz

As much as I dont want to ask this but I would like to know before I make my top 5 list. How come are we only promoting “The Rookie” and none of the other tree books such as “Infected” or “Ancestor”?……….The extremely humble owner of “THE ROOKIE” #2487/3000

Profile photo of Rich Bennett

just have to do some thinking of the books I will list…….so many to choose from.

[flickr-photo:id=5037197887,size=m] Wolfpack Quarterback

Profile photo of Kate Cheevers

Put my first set of 5 in! Had enough that I’ll be sending a second set as well. In no particular order:

The Rookie – Scott Sigler

The Forgotten Planet – Murray Leinster

Bio of a Space Tyrant series – Piers Anthony

The Frankenstein Papers – Fred Saberhagen

Doomsday Book – Connie Willis

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series – Douglas Adams

Lord of the Rings series – JRR Tolkien

Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card

The Earthsea series – Ursula K LeGuin

Farenheit 451 – Ray Bradbury

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of sadock

Just make sure you do them in blocks of 5. I’m submitting 3-blocks (15 titles/series) over the course of three days.

Profile photo of Richard Read

I’ll submit my books later. this could be tough to pick 4 others.

“Go Detroit on it!”

Profile photo of sadock

I finally got my post in, but it took me forever to figure out what the issue was. Scott’s got me trained to type book titles in ALL CAPS, so I entered my selections that way. Apparently, that is unacceptable behavior in the NPR forums. So my first three attempts were discarded as inappropriate. The annoying thing is that you have to check yourself that you made it through, assuming you’re *not* a regular NPR commenter. If you’re a regular poster, someone has to report you. First time poster go to the moderators automatically. It only takes 15-20 minutes before your post will show up if you did everything right.

Here’s the format I used that worked:

1 – Parallax Trilogy – Robert J. Sawyer
    2 – I Will Fear No Evil – Robert Heinlein
    3 – The Rookie – Scott Sigler
    4 – A Song of Ice & Fire – George RR Martin
    5 – More Than Human – Theodore Sturgeon

Profile photo of sadock

And really, it is an adult book with the Sigler vocabulary Disneyfied, when you get right down to it. And it’s certainly the most Science Fiction of the print books. I would have tried to sneak ANCESTOR through if ROOKIE *was* YA, but it’s not labeled that way.

My understanding (which may be wrong) is that , unlike Harry Potter, the GFL books are written to an adult level. A school librarian contacted Scott and asked if there was any way he could eliminate the vulgarity/swearing because that was really the only thing preventing her from using THE ROOKIE as bait to get her kids reading. And getting our high school kids *wanting* to read is well worth us putting up with “shuck” IMHO.

Profile photo of sadock

Lemme look on Amazon and see how it’s written up.

Profile photo of Richard Read

isn’t The Rookie considered a YA book?

“Go Detroit on it!”

Profile photo of sadock

NPR is in the initial stages of forming a “Best 100 SciFi/Fantasy Books Ever Written” list. The first step is to gather suggestions from the general public of what books should be on the voting ballot. Essentially they want narrow the field down from hundreds of thousands to less than a thousand.

So they’re asking folks to nominate five of their favorite SciFi/Fantasy books. This will create a massive quantity of suggestions. Then they can simply select however many they want on the ballot off the top of that list. My proposition is that we try to get THE ROOKIE onto the ballot. We’ve got the numbers to do it. Hell, how many times have we crashed servers on book release day?

Here’s the link: http://www.npr.org/2011/06/20/137249678/best-science-fiction-fantasy-books-you-tell-us

And the general ground rules (for your other four books) are:

1. No young adult or children’s titles allowed. Harry Potter can play in next summer’s poll
    2. No horror or paranormal romance either. Sorry Twilight, you’re on the bench, as is Sookie Stackhouse and the Stephen King clan.The Rookie
    3. No need to waste multiple nominations if you like an entire series. For example, if you just LOVE George RR Martin’s latest fantasy stuff, feel free to nominate all four books by their series title of “A Song of Ice & Fire.” It was one of my five.
    4. Although you can nominate series, you cannot nominate anthologies. So the Wild Cards series is out. So is Thieves World. For a series to be eligible, it must have the same author(s) from start to finish. Hmmmm, I wonder if that disqualifies the Wheel of Time Saga? Perhaps they’ll make an exception for author deaths. Who knows.

WHOSE HOUSE?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.