This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Stareagle Stareagle 2 years, 8 months ago.

Inspiration for name of MiCoVI?

I was living in the Novi area when I wrote the first draft of THE ROOKIE. Nicely done!

I caught that too, as a life-long Oakland County resident.

I probably would have never figured that one out. And very interesting tidbit to add to the brain too.

Do not mess with the affairs of monsters, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.

I was living in the Novi area when I wrote the first draft of THE ROOKIE. Nicely done!

Nathan Lowell used a similar convention for the planet Niol, so named because the settlers didn’t expect much from their settlement there. Something about “Not in our lifetime” – i forget exactly how that all plays out.

In Star Trek: The Motion Picture, the hostile alien lifeform was named V’Ger from the illegible markings of the Voyager 6 probe. But that’s a wee bit different.

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

While talking to a relative who lives in the Detroit area, I learned about the city of Novi and supposedly how it supposedly got its name. The story (copied below from Wikipedia) is apparently untrue:

———————————————-

Origin of name

Several popular but historically inaccurate explanations have been given for the origin of the name Novi. The township was named Novi when it was organized in 1832 from Farmington Township. The name was offered by resident Dr. J. C. Emery, at the suggestion of his wife. Residents were reportedly looking for a shorter name than Farmington.[4]

One version is that it was named after the 6th toll gate (No. VI) on the Grand River toll road. However, the township was named in 1832 and the toll road was not constructed until the 1850s. A similar claim is made about the township being stop number 6 on the railroad. However, the Holly, Wayne and Monroe Railway (now CSX Transportation) was not constructed through the township until 1870–71, almost 40 years after the township was named. A third popular misconception is that Novi was the sixth stagecoach stop outside of Detroit.[5]

———————————————-

These sound very similar to the etymology of MiCoVI, so I was wondering if Scott drew on this for any inspiration for the name. Has this been brought up before?

Jason

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.