This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Mitch Barchi Mitch Barchi 6 years, 7 months ago.

Indie Music

What Indie music does everyone listen to. For those of you who don’t know what Indie is, it’s music that is developed independently from large record labels. I listen to the “Amplified” Indie Podcast which has some really interesting and new music.

i am 5.3 decades old, please don’t expect me to recal band names (unless they are the old rockers)
    i listen to such a large varity of music, i can’t keep up with the current names
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

They were Indie for their time when the majority of them weren’t signed onto the big record labels (Or became a big hit for that matter.) But that’s what this thread it all about. The Majority of bands/artists could be categorized this way (Especially th rap and hip-hop ones). But it would be cool if you did come across some new bands and posted their names here.

I like good music of any style (excepting polka), so I’m finding that I listen to all kinds of folks I find on different podsafe and indie outlets, but just don’t remember a lot of names. A few that I’ve downloaded lately are Ingrid Michaelson, Wylde Bunch, Celldweller, and Matthew Ebel. I’m also a long time Ani DiFranco fan – she has her own indie label – Righteous Babe Records – where she’s signed other indie artists that I cannot recall by name either.

————
    KnitWitch
    http://www.knitwitchzone.com

But I play in one:
    National Beekeepers Society
    http://www.myspace.com/nationalbeekeeperssociety

Music is a very independent thing right now. Scott is doing something great for books, but music is spiraling further down the drain at the moment. The RIAA is now claiming that even copying music from a purchased CD to your own ipod is a crime, we should be outraged. As an indie, I should applaud this tactic (I mean, it gets me more notice), but I LOVE music, and these guys sicken me with their greed. Anyway, besides my band, I loved these guys this year:

Of Montreal:
    If you can get thru this without smiling, you’re something else:
    http://www.kangarooalliance.com/ipodwraith.m4v
    Radiohead
    Spoon
    Iron and Wine
    White Stripes
    Modest Mouse
    Panda Bear
    Elloitt Smith
    Okkervil River
    The Shins
    Gogol Bordello

lol Thats the band that did the outback commercials, I ahd heard they had an album coming out. I need to go pick that up soon.

I guess the lead singer sold the rights to that song at a “very low moment” and got a lot of shit for it. I even cringe when I hear the Outback commercial, but I am oddly considering going there sometime for some reason… Their newest album is catchily titled “Hissing fauna, are you the destroyer?” (I am being sarcastic about the catchy part…) It’s a really good album, I’d suggest checking it out if the poppier stuff interests you. The Track “Heimsdalls Gate Like a Promethean Curse” is crazy and great! If only their titles were more straight forward, I mean, what are they, artists?

i did not know anyone else listened to them
    gypsie punk
    hysterical
    The Math god

Fall Out Boy… Fall out boy? Yeah… Um, yeah, they had really long song titles on their last album. And there was a band I went to see about a month ago and their song titles were a conversation from a movie. The back cover of the CD was just words. I think the movie was silence of the lambs.. But I can’t be entirely sure.

or what ever
    daughter turned me on to them
    she is semi-goth
    not into the dark/black clothing, but is into the music
    The Math god

I don’t consider them gothic, I consider them alternative rock.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.