This topic contains 38 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Doc Coleman Doc Coleman 3 years, 7 months ago.

Hardcopy vs E-reader

• Profile photo of Doc Coleman

Besides, it was his idea. Not something that was forced on him.

Doc

I only know everything if you ask the right questions.

Profile photo of Andrew Morton

I would have shelled out a couple of extra bucks for the e-book. I want the fans to have the option and Scott to get his dues.
    Molly McButters is my Homeboy!

Profile photo of Belladonna420

under The All-Pro.

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Profile photo of Andrew Morton

What if DOM charges a little more for a tree-book and get a free e-book copy with it. would that interest anyone? I think podio-books and audio-books are safe for now. but I think we’re witnessing the beginning of the tree-book decline. In The Crypt we found out that tree-books are going to be very rare and only used for special situations. But I’ll always buy both when I can. I love the feel and smell of books, especially leather. best smell in the world!
    Molly McButters is my Homeboy!

Profile photo of sadock

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of athanas

Sometimes it’s nice to just look at a shelf and see it sitting there.

Though I DO think I need to pick up some form of e-reader in the near future, specifially one that has a comic book viewer installed (just can’t bring myself to buy an iPad right now just for THAT, though).

Profile photo of GJ

I wait unitl you least expect it, then…. you’ll see ;)
    [flickr-photo:id=5353037802,size=m] & Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of sadock

Do you always cave like that?

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of Jeremy Freese

Love the hard copy of Sigler books. I have read ebooks before (back in the day on a Palm) but love hard copy of books. While I might read on a digital device someday i like have the hardcopy signed, numbered and sitting on the shelf.

Been a junkie since Earthcore.

#74 Iceman

#227 The Rookie/#276 The Starter

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of Doc Coleman

That is just normal Junkie behavior…

Doc

Profile photo of sadock

• I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

Profile photo of sadock

….much simpler. And the way DØM’s begun to do their marketing now, you can buy the hardcover as a collectible and get the eBook gratis as your reader copy.

• I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

• Profile photo of Doc Coleman

of The Rookie and The Starter…

Doc

Profile photo of GJ

Profile photo of GJ

You can’t beet the feel of a book in your hands and the smell of the pages…..But I’m greedy. I want it all.

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

I love the feel of the paper and if I want to share a passage with some I know the feel of where it is. Nothing like sitting back in front of the fire place with a good hard copy.

Being able to carry a couple hundred books with me at all times is awesome and I do have a reader which I do that when I travel out of town.

Didn’t I mention that they’re paranoid? With all the connotations of irrational thought that goes along with it.

Doc

Profile photo of Avinjer

Ve veri veniversum vivus vici (idea’s cannot be killed)

My work is paranoid about wireless devices. They are strictly Verboten. Can’t even bring in the Nike+ iPod sensor and receivers to use at the gym.

Doc

Profile photo of nilling

I can read my Kindle during work easier than reading a book ;)

aka nilling

Profile photo of nilling

Go on my Sigler Shelf/Shrine and Kindle goes into my works bag.

aka nilling

Profile photo of sadock

Something like the NSA supergluing all the USB ports closed only with wireless devices?

• Profile photo of Asa Passfield

My mother in law got me a e-reader for my birthday, bacause i was reading about 20 to 30 books a year and my wife was fed up of having books all over the house now i can have over 1000 books in a e-reader the size of a thin paperback

Of course, part of that is that I can’t take an e-reader into work, but I can take a book to read at lunch.

Doc

Profile photo of sadock

I’m fairly sure that the author makes a greater profit margin on e-books because the overhead is nil. Yet I think Scott’s told us previously that his preference if for us to purchase hardcovers.

My guess is that this creates a domino effect. The more people who buy hardcovers, the greater the chance he makes the NYT bestseller list, and he gains name recognition regardless. Not so with ebooks in the current distribution model. And then a significant chunk of those who hear of him will buy an e-book, so he winds up getting the profit off of both. That’s my hypothesis, anyways.

• Profile photo of EDDY JONES

CAUSE YOU GET BOTH!!!!!! free ebook thanks to scott, means like clever flashman said buy the book, read the ebook

You’re out of luck. Cause this is me not giving a F**k

Profile photo of Avinjer

Ve veri veniversum vivus vici (idea’s cannot be killed)

Profile photo of Beth_Ailis

I don’t like people touching my precious, signed Hardcovers. Precious…
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of nilling

and read on the Kindle :)

aka nilling

And I bet it depends on who is publishing the work (Crown vs. DOM vs. Amazon). I too would like to purchase the option that puts the most $$ in the author’s pocket.
    [flickr-photo:id=5069365035, size=m] [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

Profile photo of EDDY JONES

I don’t think books will ever be completely replaced in the same way that Cd’s won’t

You’re out of luck. Cause this is me not giving a F**k

Profile photo of Jason Marshall

A deciding factor for me in this case, is which option means a better profit for the author. Can anyone (even Scott) shed light on which has the better margin for authors?

My new shiny hardcover of “Infected” arrived today. I have all of the other recently published books in hardcover — signed! But I had only been able to find paperbacks of Infected (I’ve given away at least 3 so far, spreading the STANK). So, I have my new book (which I will bring to Siglerfest for some personal attention) and guess what else is in the box? A knife sharpener. HA!! Yes, I ordered both items, along with several other things, but these are the two they put in the same box. I wonder if Amazon Knows…

Profile photo of sadock

Pre-Sigler, I don’t think I owned any hardcover novels. Even those I own of his, I haven’t read. I buy them to put $$ in his pocket. I used to donate regularly through PB.com. He told us he’d rather we buy books, so I buy books. I still wait to have the mass market PB before I read the treeware version.

As far as e-books go, I haven’t found an e-reader I like yet. The basic kindle is far too small, the DX is too expensive. I will likely get an iPad 2 and change my mind about e-books, but for now, I’m not a fan. My largest problem with them is the pricing. And the fact that I can’t go to a used bookstore and pick one up for half price.

Yes, I’m a cheap bastard. But, seriously, how much does it cost to copy electrons? To me, anything over $5 for an e-book is robbery.Yes, I think Døm charges too much, but they’re following supply and demand. They’d be stupid not to.

• “Misery can be so attractive, when making yourself happy is the only alternative.” — Anthrax

• Profile photo of Nemesis0

Right now i’m about 50-50 when it comes to buying either or. Like the others who’ve posted in here certain authors i get hardcopies of. for me tho im getting many in ebook because i don’t have room for much more in hardcopy books so until i can move somewhere with more space i’ve had to cut back on hardcopy books.

Profile photo of David Taylor

Depending on how much I like the author or story depends if I go out of my way to find the hardback or just download the e-book versions. When it comes to Scott I want all of his books in hardback. It is something about that tactile feel of having that sweet book in your hands that I just love.

Does someone go into the park and, uh… lift up the dinosaurs’ skirts?

But there are going to be some books that I get the dead-tree version of… I like having the hardcovers of Sigler’s books because I can get them signed and they are more of a collectible to me than just reading material (I also have some of Jim Butcher’s, and some of the other authors that do DragonCon appearances). Other books that I want to be able to pass along to other people (very cool book I just got “Moonwalking with Einstein” I want to give to my teenage daughter when I’m done) Other books that my hubby would like I get as audiobooks because he reads so slowly and spends a lot of time commuting. I don’t know if you killed your bookstore, but I think that there will clearly be a shakeout in that market. Supporting the authors you like, either with ebooks, audiobooks or printed versions is all good.

Profile photo of David Goodridge

Okay, I just downloaded “The Starter”, for my Kindle. So why do I feel like a cheap bastard? I keep hearing how these things are the future of publishing, and they probably are. But did I just help kill my local book store?

Dave in OKC

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.