This topic contains 51 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Corbin Hilty Corbin Hilty 6 years ago.

Good books

• Profile photo of Corbin Hilty

The max Quick series is amazing. Its relased as a podcast and a paperback on amazon. 

gothguy720.deviantart.com

Profile photo of J.P.

I read the “White Mountains Tripod Trilogy” by John Christopher when I was a younger pup. I enjoyed them so much I’ve read them many times over the years and intend to buy the set for my son. You can check them out here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Mountains-Tripods-Trilogy/dp/0020427115). They’re out of print now, but usually you can find them for sale by someone (bookstore or otherwise) if you look around. Highly recommend.

– “I just did something involuntary. And messy.” – Sid

Profile photo of Gmork

Gman, you might enjoy this book series called The Softwire.  It starts with the first novel called The Rings of Orbis.  It’s target audience is Young Adult readers, but I sometimes pick up YA books if the storyline is interesting.  Anyway, it has a really neat premise a really richly thought out world with alien races.  Interestingly enough, I didn’t care for the name at first (The Softwire) until I understood the premise.  Then I thought the concept was quite cool.

Anyway worth a read.  Check out the author’s website for more info.

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

G-Man

Rich man gets off work, then buys stereo. Not after f***ing brunch! – Mooj

Profile photo of Shiraz Zia

Didn’t properly read the original post.  While The Discworld series & The Dark Tower series may be able to eek by as scifi if you stretch it a bit. Cryptonomicon and American Psycho are nothing resembling scifi. 

sorry bout that.

In the immortal words of Socrates "I Drank What?!"

Enders Game is a must read, but Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of The Mind were a bit meh, in my opinion.

The Shadow series on the other hand was really good.

And it’s distributed free under the creative commons.

Download Here

Profile photo of Nathan Wells

Nate Dogg… The only signature I need is my fist.

Profile photo of Wolf

Laughing 

..No Bounce..

…No Play…

one of the best books I have ever read. It is hilarious and everyone should read it.

G-Man

Rich man gets off work, then buys stereo. Not after f***ing brunch! – Mooj

I was saying that he liked those books when he was a kid.

G-Man

When life gives you lemons, make applesauce. -Angelica Pickles

Profile photo of Jason Collins

point your attention to such posts as this? I don’t think he has much room to talk.

Assassins do it from behind

with more golden showers if they tell, and make sure they know that you have all of their addresses

P.S. they would also have to prove it, and who would want to turn that in as evidence?

Profile photo of Wolf

or even "ha hs"?

"In remission for 27 days. YeeHaw!"

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

the only problem with that, i’d get arrested and lose my day job (and since i do not have a night job, uhoh)#1
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

had a lot of water today.

sry bout you students, bet if you pissed ONthem instead of getting pissed at them it would make them sit up and pay attention

when I realize that what n8 thinks doesnt mean much?

maybe if im real quiet he won’t notice the lol……..lol

P.S. he’s just mad that he would have to post like 16trillion more times to catch up with you.

n8 will accuse you of posting for points (he did me)

ps. i am just being a bit pissy, students were very obnoxious today

it won’t be pretty

Profile photo of Ian Bahas

Neuromancer

Brave new world

ringworld series

Hitchhiker’s guide series

Alien Taste

Redemption of althalus (not scifi, but still a good book)

GO OSU!

by like 50 years! holy shit man how old do you think we are???!!?

I’ll check it out.

G-Man

I checked today. he liked the Hardy boys and Tarzan, ect. when he was a kid. He watched the movie and read the books or something like that.

G-Man

you trying to say were old or somthing? I bet your dad used to read the dune stories by moonlight to the rest of the tribe after the Mammoth hunt too, huh? lol

The Dune series was some of the first sci-fi I ever read and it changed me. I also didnt know when I started reading them that Frank had died before finishing his Opus. needless to say, that cliffhanger rivaled the work of Hutchinssss lol.  and yes I really do think that Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson did Frank Herbert Justice, I also think that the final Novels wouldnt have worked as well without the Butlerian Jihad trilogy. I also thoroughly enjoyed the direct Dune prequels that they did, although not really needed to complete the originals. all in all the sheer scope of the story (and it really is one LOOOOONG book) is staggering. I have to bow to the Genius that is Frank Herbert

he was a fan of the books, I think.

G-Man

Profile photo of J.P.

someone else enjoyed them too! I really think Brian Herbert did a great job. Definitely preserved the spirit of his father. I think he’s honored him well.

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

They are superb! I cant to get my hands on "Paul of Dune "

Profile photo of J.P.

Foundation Trilogy.

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

Profile photo of J.P.

Dune…all of them. He wrote six books in what was to be a seven book series before he passed away. Read them all, then roll into the prequels his son co-authored… They’re well worth the time to read them all. (PS: After successfully writing a great set of prequels, he took his father’s notes and wrote the final book in the original series.) Enjoy!

and am going to start it soon. Same for Ender’s Shadow.

G-Man

not quite sure where to start though. OSC is releasing a direct sequel to Enders game on Nov 1st (Ender in exile) but the real sequel is "Speaker for the dead" then "Xenocide" then "Children of the mind" but you also have the "Shadow Series" (Enders Shadow, Shadow of the Hegemon, Shadow puppets, and Shadow of the Giant) which retells the story from Bean’s point of view. and now with this direct sequel I’m not sure which order to read them in, but I would still probably read them in the order they were made

Any way you do it you must read these! its some of the best sci-fi I have ever read.

If you guys and girls haven’t read it you should It is one of the best books I have ever read.

G-Man

very good book.

G-Man

yeah, they are ok, for scifi writers … lol
    still #1

Profile photo of john bennett

didnt know that…..crazy.

hell if it taste like chicken,bring me chicken!

rodney carigton

Profile photo of Wolf

Asimov, Roddenbury, Phillip Dick, John Campbell, etc.. The early stuff is still the best. 

"+5 for me"

Profile photo of Pons Matal

Hmm is this acceptable? Posting to advertise???  Just a thought

he’s good, but all of his stuff starting with the number of the beast start out good, but end up being an old man’s sexual fantasies. if you enjoy that, go for it, i did not enjoy his later work as much. he got away from the scifi and delved into the sexual fantasy. found it boring. but his earlier works are scifi standards
    Arthur C Clark is another one to look at (the inventor of synchronous orbiting satellites, look it up)

not sure if thats how its spelled,but stanger in a stange land

a good story.

double post,not me doing this

rodney carigton

not sure if thats how its spelled,but stanger in a stange land

a good story.

rodney carigton

I had to read the first one for summer reading and I loved it.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of Justin Crumpler

I deffinitely agree with Saga of Seven Suns, and the "Ender Series" really good stuff there.

I am currently reading the first Deathwalker book by Simon Green and thats pretty good so far.  Lets see who else…  There’s always the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, if you want a touch of Monty Python-esque humor.  Oh and if you’re into vampire stuff theres a Sci-fi/Post-apocolyptic series by E. E. Knight called Vampire Earth that is incredible.  First one in that series is Way of the Wolf.  There’s Starship Troopers, and Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Hienlein.  hmmm I’m having trouble ’cause I’m more of a fantasy reader than Sci-fi, but those are my picks for now.  when i can look at my bookshelves I will probably have more suggestions.

Just about anything from Larry Niven (my favorites are the ringworld series,Footfall, and Lucifers Hammer, the 2 Mote books are awesome too Treed)

Kevin J Anderson’s Saga of Seven Suns is phenominal and the last book was Just released

Anything by Frank Herbert (his son Brain herbert is okay too but not as good) Shai-Hulud!

and if you have never read "Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card or the rest of the Ender Saga you are really missing something

I could list hundreds of books from my bookshelves but those stand out

Assasins do it from behind

alan dean foster tells a good yarn (the man who used the niverse is by far his best) stay away from the spell singer series, funy but not scifi
    pournelle and niven collaborations are excellent (even if they are assholes)
    Herbert (even though he is a sexist)
    i keep coming back to Zelazny, his amber series is good fun, but try his other stuff. he tends to be more "fantasy" based, but not the usually sword and sorcery stuff
    David drake has GREAT war scifi, his Hammers Slammers series is terrific, (if you liked scott’s passenger, you’ll like this stuff)

By H.G. Wells. I enjoyed this story as well.

[brood en brood met brood ertussen] – My Mothers famous answer to whats for dinner!

Profile photo of Wolf

Oldies but goodies

The War fo the Worlds by HG Wells

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

If you haven’t read these yet, you are truly missing out on some fantastic works. 

"+5 for me"

Follow that up with book 2 "The Children of the Old Stars". It follows Robert and Suki’s grandson John Mark Ellis as he tries to discover the nature of the cluster and stop its seemly wanton destruction of ships.

[brood en brood met brood ertussen] – My Mothers famous answer to whats for dinner!

Profile photo of Peter Braat

No I am sorry. Couldn’t resist.

I enjoyed The Pirates of Sufiro

it is a novel by David Lee Summers. It tells the story of the colonization of a planet by pirate captain, Ellison Firebrandt, his first lieutenant, Roberts, and Suki, his lover. The planet soon becomes a refuge for people of all sorts, looking for a new life and a chance to start over. Things go wonderfully, until Captain Jerome Ellis of the Mao Corporation discovers the rare mineral, Erdonium, on the planet. Soon, the old settlers are battling the new entrepreneurs for control of the planet. At the same time, the galaxy faces a new threat…a power that destroys space ships at will…an enigma called the Cluster. 

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

I was wondering if anyone knew of any really good sci-fi books. I have been reading Peeps again and it is really good for those who don’t know, and one of the sentences is "if you feed them they will leave you alone" or something like that and he is talking about a parasite. Any recommendations?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.