This topic contains 6 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Stefani Robinson Stefani Robinson 2 years, 4 months ago.

Fringe

Fring is freaking awesome and must be watched. Especially if you are a fan of the X-Files!

It’s getting to the point where everything is a bit more convoluded though

gothguy720.deviantart.com

I am beginning to suspect Fringe will not make it for another season. Too convoluted, too many questions, viewers are starting to drift.

… Fringe , although pretty good, has suffered recently from trying to tie up strands and story arcs that were introduced in preceding seasons… and perhaps viewers have lost where the plot is going. While tv might be a fantastic medium for storytelling, it’s not that easy to ‘rewind’ and check some facts, such as looking back through the pages of a book.

That is a very good point, viewers need to be able to remember these things right away or else they will get confused. Viewers like me will go back and rewatch episodes to figure things out but the majority probably doesn’t. I am just crossing my fingers it doesn’t end up like Lost where the only possible answer is a dumb one.

@steffiebaby140 Personally, shows like Fringe, which have an over-arcing story line in addition to the one-or two episode stories, are infinitely more enjoyable than movies.

There is far more that can be done in long epics (for the obvious reasons), than in a 90-120 minute movie – but, as mentioned before, the danger is in trying to be too clever… and the viewer will switch off.
    The premise of Lost was exciting at first, but as the show became more successful, the writers simply did not know which way to take it.
    I hope that Fringe does not go down that route, for it is a superb show, and it would be a shame for it to fizzle out.
    The writers have to bow out on a high. Examples of classic television and knowing when to stop flogging the horse have been ‘The Sopranos’ and ‘The Shield’, although I have read the ‘The Wire’ is another example (which I have yet to watch).
    NC

I completely agree with you, writers think they are being clever and make things too complex for themselves and then have no way to get out of it. Personally, this is why I am starting to prefer the format of cable series like the ones you mentioned. They typically have a smaller season, anywhere from 6 to 12 episodes, and so they are able to get away with having every episode be entirely story arc based. There doesn’t need to be any “filler” episodes. That is when you run off the track with traditional 20 something episode shows, there is too much filler and you lose track of the overall story arc. When weekly plots and overall story arc are combined well then the show works, when it becomes more filler than anything else is when people start to lose interest. And I fear that is the direction Fringe is taking, and unfortunately for them they are on Fox…which has a tendency to pull the plug on a show the second its ratings start to diminish, and they are already on Fridays which is considered a day of death for network shows. So it appears that as far as the network is concerned, it is already fizzling.

Another problem that I feel Fringe is up against is needing to hit an 11. Last season they were on the top of their game and in my opinion the show was at a perfect 10, it was excellent. But now they are trying to reach for the 11 instead of just maintaining a 10, and that is a good way to fail.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.