This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Arioch Morningstar Arioch Morningstar 6 years, 2 months ago.

English utility

rather than simply spewing gibberish pell mell.

But, seriously, that does sound like a royal pain. Cest la vie. It was worth a shot. I see what you mean about Firefox. It seems to work only sometimes. That’s way wonky. You’d think it would either work or not work, not be erratic. Whatever. 

— hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

– hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

is the Queen’s English or American English going to be the standard??? Uh oh, Houston, we have a problem… And should we ixnay on the colloquialisms? We need to bring Mignon (aka: Grammar Girl) in on this. Someone in the Recruiting Division go recruit the hottest grammar gal on the web. She needs to be a junkie.

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

Nate Dogg… "life is hard. But it’s one helluva lot harder if you’re stupid"- -John Wayne

Nate Dogg… "life is hard. But it’s one helluva lot harder if you’re stupid"- -John Wayne

Glad to see you can use your brain!! I’ve been amused at how the short bus folk are not posting in this thread <arrogant snicker>

can’t stand misspelling in my posts and I always try to make sure I haven’t made any spelling errors.

And since English is not my native language (that would be Dutch, for those who missed that Wink). But sometimes, especially when it’s late at night, and I am friggin’ tired, one seeps through. But usually when I don’t know exactly how to write a word I use Spotlight on my macs to find the right way to write a word. (it has a built in dictionary accessable from said Spotlight, for all those people without much knowledge of Macs.)

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

the problem with that is the one you mention US English  versus British English I had all sorts of wierd underlinings what ever way I spelled as there are two tools on this machine that are of coures different version just to make it interesting Yell

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

JK. i dont make many errors and most of those are typos like beleive instead of believe

Mobile devices are no excuse either. I fully understand legitimate shorthand. There’s also occasions when you deliberately misspell something or use poor grammar to make a point or be funny. That’s not what I’m talking about.

And yes, n8 needs to suck it up and use that stuff he learned in school. Oh, wait, I’m assuming he went to school. He may not have. Still shouldn’t use spellchecker as a crutch. It’s a tool, dude!

could be an issue. Does a spellchecker that underlines errors not catch inverted letters for you?

are usually the ones who are guilty more often than not. I attribute the problem to laziness more than anything. I constantly forget you’re from Deutschland since your English is expressed so well. The Dane does a remarkable job also. My theory is that you pay more attention when you know it’s not your native tongue.

of stuff to pick on folks for. Are you telling me that there won’t be any more stupid ideas simply because they’ll be expressed properly? I seriously doubt it……..

guess that means you’ll just have to use your brain…..

Seeing that when talking to people of different countries that are English speeking they have different views on what proper English is that might be a lenghty discussion. But yes I am certified dyslexic and do not realise the mistakes as I make or reread them. 

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

I’m available for picking-on. Pulsar has a good point about native & non-native speakers. Also, it seems folks often post from mobile devices. That usually means some form of shorthand is called for. (That’s not an excuse for you to blow off learning proper English, n8!)

– “I don’t have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka.” -Dr. Horrible

you can get the spellechecking working if you hit "disable rich-text" below the wysiwyg editor. Unfortunately all the plugins i have seen so far do not integrate into TinyMCE.

Regarding the typos and bad grammar – I think many of us are not natively speaking english, at least I don’t. This might explain some issues you are describing.

Cheers!

Paul.

For some reason, the spell check for firefox isn’t working for me

to suck the fun out of all this tom-foolery? If we can’t pick on the slow kids, who are we going to pick on?

It’s ridiculous how many errors we have on this site. I’m assuming that most of us read treeware in addition to listening to Scott’s work. This means we *should* know good grammar and spelling.

I’m working on a Macintosh using Firefox as my browser, so I’ve got two built in spell checks in addition to being a decent speller to begin with. Is there any way we could apply whatever tool(s) those systems use to the site? I figure if we make it easy enough, people will fix their errors. It really does make them look like idiots and no one wants to look dumb.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.