This topic contains 70 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Pons Matal Pons Matal 6 years, 4 months ago.

Does anyone else thinks this one sucked??

• Profile photo of Pons Matal

It just seems the college players have more speed and agility when on the field. Club rodeo in OKC lets you shoot pool, have a few drinks and watch live Bull riding all at the sametime. Had a blast!

[brood en brood met brood tussen] – My Mothers famous answer to whats for dinner!

Profile photo of J.P.

Shadygirl and I both like the pro ball. I never got into the college ball because I’m pretty sure the local kiddy league would have put my school’s team in the hospital. Shadygirl went to a school with a sucky team, but after she graduated, they got their act together. So we both kind of missed out on the benefit of the whole college ball experience. So it’s pro for us. Oh, and we are ice hockey fans. And pro rodeo fans.

– “Everything takes longer than it does.” -Me

Profile photo of Ralph Schmeer

Unfortunately the Admirals went the way all teams of NFLE went down the drain so no girls there either Yell

Wll com October Wembly will have the real deal again 

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

Profile photo of Pons Matal

(Pro that is, I like college) I was hesitant to listen to Rookie at first.  But damn glad I did, it was excellent! Even my wife was hooked on Rookie. Sigler does football to the Extreme. Cant wait for Starter.

["No matter where you go, there you are"] – And Sigler always knows where there is!

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of J.P.

two words: satellite TV.

– Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt. (I have jerks like you for breakfast.)

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

Profile photo of Peter Braat

And I guess the motion just passed….

And it’s official: from this day on there will be a GWTCL

(at least in the minds of at least 2 certain junkies…)

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

cheerleaders for the Amsterdam Admirals

Profile photo of Ralph Schmeer

When you come over to Europe you can have football but the cheerleaders are hard to find unfortunately.  

Things go wrong and that is how we learn

Profile photo of J.P.

When Shadygirl and I get to Europe next month, our two-fold goal will be to encourage the viewing of American Football and the associated viewing of American Football cheerleaders. (Oh, and definitely the viewing of our NFL Superbowl commercials. Even though, I have to admit, there are lots of great commercials on the tube in Europe that would never make it past the politically-correct humor police here in the US.) I guess you and I, and our gals are the founding members of the NWTCL! Only let’s call it the WTCL, IWTCL or GWTCL. This baby needs to be international or global! Hey, I just reminded myself of a funny conversation I had in Zagreb…

– Verveces tui similes pro ientaculo mihi appositi sunt. (I have jerks like you for breakfast.)

I’d be their number 2 fan. With you as Number 1 fan of course….

It would be called NWTCL (National Watch The Cheerleaders League)

And we’d go see the NWCTL Superbowl. LOL

Profile photo of J.P.

That was a little funny. But…what if I’m serious? Sure would be a great fantasy league thing, don’t you think?

lmao funny JP

Profile photo of J.P.

I absolutely can not make any smart remarks about fantasy football. Afterall, I play in about 10 fantasy watch the cheerleader leagues each season…

Profile photo of Richard Damge

i agree treed………………….DAMMIT

Profile photo of ogreoregon

I never cared about Regular football, but I am a total fan of Alien football, I really loved that book, and with all the extra’s, explaining about the game , Scott added in special episodes’ I understood the player positions and other things that made me really "see" the game.  and when I stared listening I really didn’t think I would be interested enough to care about it…. but I was really HOOKED from the beginning.  This is one story that would really make a neat movie.
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of josh tyge swambo

puts me to sleep, nonstop? have you ever bin to a footy game? boring.  now mma, hockey, A-Football all good games.  mostly because of the big hits and aggression. a soccer match is always going to be the same. 

what’s wrong with a bit of senseless violence to a lemming?

they’re only going to walk off a cliff.

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

so, fast paced nonstop action isn’t your cup of tea??
    i guess hockey is a real load of it then….
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

The Rookie was the FDO’s best finished podcast novel so far if I say so myself. How did it suck?

G-Man

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

First I should point out that I’m a die hard football fan who plays in about 10 fantasy football leagues each year (JP, no smart remarks about fantasy football).  Most of them for money and I have always won more money than I pay out.  (Yeah I know, I’m bragging a little).  So, do I like the Rookie???????  Ummm, Yeah!!!

"Even crazy people sometimes base their fiction on an ounce of truth" -Scott Sigler

Profile photo of josh tyge swambo

there is the door now GO. The rookie was fukking awsum.  i learned football to read it.  now i digg football as much as rugby.  but soccer is crap.

still think the siggz needs to do a mma version. 

what’s wrong with a bit of senseless violence to a lemming?

they’re only going to walk off a cliff.

Profile photo of J.P.

I agree with my Dutch junkie cousin–YOU SUCK Beverly Hills Erin90210! (Nate, is that you under a different screen name? Come on, be honest! It’s you, isn’t it…Stop it.)

… I can’t help but feel anger rising for reading this.

Everything our FDO™ writes is great. and YOU SUCK!!! 

Profile photo of Evan Hammerman

The Rookie was my third Sigler story. (I had read the hardcover print version of Infected [in about four days], and listened to Ancestor and Earthcore). 

At first I wasn’t as "enthusiastic" as I was going into the other three books, but I needed my Sigler fix.

Took about two episodes, but then I was totally into it. I am a football fan (even though living in South Florida that’s hard to do), but didn’t expect to be listening to the gameplay part of the story with bated breath.

Now I can’t wait to hear how the Krakens do next season.(Get kraking Sigler!) Hell, I now I can’t wait for the NFL season to start up again. The Rookie has made me appreciate Earth-bound human-only football more! 

I am also eagerly awaiting The Crypt. Even without football, the Rookie universe is a cool place.

Another Soldier for Sigler,

EJKorvette

From there to here

From here to there

Funny things

Are everywhere!

— Theodor K. Geisl (1904 – 1991) 

Profile photo of Muugen Elmubarak

This one was the BEST, finish nocturnal, drop all the other sequels and finish the two sequels, bring em out in print, bring out the jersey and possibly and anime/ live version of it!

Profile photo of Donald Martin

The Rookie is awesome

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT
    Profile photo of Doug Warren

Get him!!

Profile photo of Bob Brobst

I don’t even care much for football, but this story Fucking rocks.

Profile photo of Pamela Fasick

Even though I had loved Scott’s earlier books, when I learned that The Rookie was about football I was sure that I wouldn’t like it. I’m not a football fan and I couldn’t believe that I would like a book about football. I put off listening to it for a long time. But when I finally gave it a try, I loved it. It’s my favorite book (so far). I think that what makes me like it even more than Scott’s other books is the setting. I am fascinated by the future universe that Scott created and I would love to learn more about the different alien cultures and how they interact.

Profile photo of Doug Warren

The Rookie sucked?? It’s news to me.  The Rookie was what hooked me in the beginning. The rest has just been addictive gravy.

Go Krakens!

BukaHobbit

Profile photo of The Hammer

I am not a football fan.  However.  Not only is The Rookie a great story (I am not even halfway through, but it is shaping up to be one of my favourties), but I think it could make a cracking TV series.  C’mon HBO – get your fingers out!

——————————————–

I think, therefore I’m right. -Hugo Rune

Profile photo of James Keeling

I think it shows a great amount of growth for Scott as a writer.  He was able to take it all, mash it up, and produce a reallly engaging product…  Ever so glad he departed from his schtick… 

This missive brought to you by SynapticJam

This Pusher likes Synaptic Jam on toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken

Profile photo of Richard Damge

have to agree with the gimp on this one. the DARK OVERLORD does’nt put out bad material. such blasphemies could get your tongue removed

Profile photo of Scott Roche

This, of course, referring to anyone that didn’t enjoy the Rookie.  I’m not a football fan, but Scott made even that enjoyable.  It was a departure from his usual stuff, but that’s a good thing. 

"The life of faith is not opposed to effort, it is opposed to earning."

Dallas Willard

is his best story in my eyes, for I digggggg sci-fi stuff 

All that matters is getting my fix.

Profile photo of Donald Martin

You can’t be a total junkie if you think anything by Our Future Dark Overlord sucks,

You sir Suck

lollipops

These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

The Rookie rocks, I’m already on my 2nd time through…..
    I am Matthias the Groveler, Qyuth Warrior dedicated to the rise of the Sigler Empire.

Profile photo of Steve Ramusack

i SHOUTED below and I want to apologize to the forum. Rookie still the greatest. Looking forward to the Starter, the Veteran, and the Hall of Famer.

Shouting no good…

Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Profile photo of Steve Ramusack

ROOKIE IS SCOTT’S FINEST EFFORT. SORRY SCOTT IF YOU THINK THEY’RE ALL EQUAL THEY’RE NOT (I USED “THEY’RE” CORRECTLY BUT VIOLATED ALL CAPS LAW. SORRY). I FEEL VERY STRONGLY THAT THE CREATIVITY REQUIRED AND EFFORT PUT INTO THE UNIVERSE OF THE ROOKIE WAS EXCEPTIONAL. SCOTT OUTDID HIMSELF. I DISAGREE WITH ALL WHO DISLIKE THE ROOKIE, THERE IS NOTHING ELSE OUT THERE LIKE IT. HAVING SAID THAT, ALL OPINIONS ARE RESPECTED, IT’S JUST THAT YOURS IS WRONG IN THIS CASE. ;)

“Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.”

Profile photo of Chuck Baker

“crank up the volume, get off the babysitter and if you’re easily offended TURN IT OFF NOW, PUSSIES!!”

;)

Profile photo of nilling

Missed The Rookie first time around – sorry Scott I have no excuses!

But got all 34 episodes and listened to it over Christmas and really enjoyed it. Especially loved the GFL weekly reviews, the sound effects and the commentator in the championship game (lol) – it was all so immersive and believable for me.

GO KRAKENS!!!

the fact it is set in football is fun, but not important. it could be set in corperate america or in fashion city or any number of businesses. it is a good story of a person doing his best in a world of greed, drugs, criminals, back room dealings and corperate monsters. trying to do his job, deal with his prejudices and make friends while people (things) are demanding more of him than he thought possible

now, did i mention anything about voilence or football in that description??

see?? it is all about the story

i just put the voices to sleep
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

Profile photo of Lisa Tryon

When I first heard about Scott Sigler, it was on my boyfriend’s ipod. It also happened to be the first episode of the Rookie. Now, as I am not a sports fan at all, I highly doubted I’d enjoy it. So, it was suggested that I listen to some of Sigler’s other books (all of which my boyfriend, a total O.J., had on his iTunes already downloaded). Infection, Earthcore, Ancestor… I listened to all three. And I absolutely loved them. It was these three books that made me realize the emphasis the author puts on a written word can vary so much from how one might read it (as in a certian chicken scissors scene… *shudder*), making the story that much more suspenseful, frightening, or gory. Having fallen deeply into the “dirty junky” catagory, I gave the Rookie a shot.

I wonder, did you hear the awesome ‘coming of age’ story that I did?

I still hate sports and football, but wow, Sigler you ROCK!

Profile photo of Chris Abbott

Wanted to use my first post to call you Rookie Haters crazy.

I’m a fairly new Sigler fan, and started out with Nocturnal and decided to try out the Rookie in between episodes. The Rookie is fantastic. I think one of the main deciding factors on whether you like or dislike this is whether or not you are into sports.

I for one, am into sports. I love the game of football, and I think Sigler did a great job capturing the excitement of the game in “The Rookie”. He took it to a level where I was keeping up with the Krakens season like they were my favorite NFL team. The development of Quentin, you could compare his story to most young rookies in the league today; coming into the game with a chip on their shoulder and finding out the harsh reality that it simply isn’t as easy as it was in the league they played in before. Watching them turn into someone completely different is pretty cool. As it was in “The Rookie.”

It’s a shame that I’m finally finished with this one, as I can’t get my fix with another amazingly intense Krakens week in the GFL. But, I’m happy to learn that a sequel is in the works.

Great job Sigler, you’ve made a huge fan out of me from this one.

no matter the context

well said
    The Math god

Profile photo of Mike Dowell

It wasn’t my favorite of them all, but it was really good. I hate football but I liked the story and the characters. there was enough sci-fi to make me forget it was about football. It far from sucked, though Infection is still my favorite. Nocturnal though is pretty far up there right now, we’ll see if it can overturn infection by the end…

Profile photo of Bruce "Icepick" Press

Horror/Fantasy is not my favorite genre, but I’ve loved Scott’s mix of action/science/horror. The Rookie was much closer to straight on SciFi, which is my first choice.

Why did I think The Rookie was great?

1. Character development – not just the evolution of the primary character, but truly creating an interesting supporting cast of different species, personalities, …

2. World building – this wasn’t “just” a book about football. Cultures, technology and inter-species relations were fleshed out to create a rich context for the story. THAT I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT

3. External features – Results from other games, the GFL website and contributions from others made a truly immersive experience.

There was so much in this story to like, I’ve recommended it to many people that I wouldn’t expect to enjoy the rest of Scott’s writing.

Icepick
    http://www.brucepress.net

Profile photo of Brad P. from NJ

I liked The Rookie for a couple of reasons. One, the heavier SciFi was well-written and kept my interest. The fish-out-of-water character given to Quentin gave me some reason to be sympathetic to a guy that started as a schmuck.

Another major reason I liked The Rookie, is because it showed that Siggie had more than one type of story in him. He gave The Rookie his all, and helped me see him as more than just that scary short guy with a badger on his face.

——-

Whole Lot of Nonsense PodCast – http://www.wholelotofnonsense.org
    UUCSH Sunday Services – http://uucsh.libsyn.com
    Follow Me – http://www.twitter.com/bpende
    Pownce on Me – http://www.pownce.com/bpende

you will enjoy it very much
    all of it

the voices guarantee it
    The Math god

Profile photo of Bandit

I just found out about podcasts and The Rookie is the first one I have listened to. I only just listened to episode 11 this morning and I am having DT’s for a new fix. I would probably listen to this straight through if I didn’t have a wife and kids. I can’t wait to get into Scotts other podcasts.

Profile photo of Bob Bayless

I totally enjoyed The Rookie. Maybe its because I am a Philadelphia Eagles fan and to have a team I am rooting for actually win even is it IS fiction is a total rush. Quentin is a great character… but the development and back stories were all fantastic.

Profile photo of Kirk Bastek

Except when Chicago died after the Super Bowl.

Infection I was iffy about.

Who is John Galt?

Profile photo of Simon Cowlard

I didn’t think that I’d enjoy the Rookie because I’m not particularly interested in American Football but although there’s a lot of detail about the sport it’s quite interesting. I think that the story could have been about any sort of team game really and it’s a great story and an interesting ‘universe’ that it’s set in too.

I do agree with everyone that says Nocturnal rocks

Profile photo of Alex Sipiere

yeah i hate football but i listened to the rookie and i liked the rookie it had an awsome story.

“What do you mean there’s nothing i can do, you mean im hooked on Scott Sigler’s podcast novels… im… a junkie…”- me

Profile photo of emi de la guerra

I don’t like football. Never have. Still don’t actually.

So I was going to pass on The Rookie, even though I had loved every twisted bit since Earthcore.

But Scott said give him four episodes, so I did. I guess I actually _am_ a junkie.

And, even though I fast forwarded through some of the football stuff (sorry, man) I loved the story. And, I’ll probably fast forward through the football exposition in The Starter, I look forward to the rest of the action.

Profile photo of Kollin Packer

I can’t stand to watch football on TV. I watch maybe one game a year (the SuperBowl), and I even missed that one this year. Yet this book just fascinated me because of the different settings, the effect of non-humans on a very familiar game, and the social interactions between the races. And his characters are so real, so credible. Even the “sub-species” have such distinct personalities that you can see them as sentient beings, no better or worse than humans. I thought it was a very engaging listen.

But that’s just me.

Next test: Burn a copy of it for my girlfriend. She loved Ancestor, Earthcore, and Infection, but she’s even less of a football fan than I am.

Profile photo of zackmann

I might have to listen again but I thought linemen trying to eat quarterbacks and mob assassinations were a little violent.

Profile photo of Ariel Felder

another hate football loved the rookie here

Profile photo of Brian Hunt

No listen sonny…I HATE FOOTBALL but I love A GREAT STORY! and the Rookie IS a great story! that is all

Profile photo of Matt Blair

It was different. When I heard that Scott was going to try something different I was a little bit skeptical. But, I thought that he nailed that story. It had a great story line with likeable characters. It seemed to be able to appeal to both football fans and non-football fans. Which isn’t an easy thing to do. So, my props to the master.

Profile photo of Joe Barr

I have been listening to Scott’s stories since the first episode of Earthcore. When The Rookie was announced I was sure it would dull since I have no interest in football but to my great surprised I liked it. I got sucked in to the characters and really started to care about them. If there is a sequel I’ll be the first to download it. I hate sound like a fan boy but I liked it and I’m a little afraid of Scott now that he has my address.

Profile photo of Glenn Dixon

I tried, oh how I tried, but I could not keep interest in The Rookie. And I’m a big Dallas Cowboys fan! My wife, on the other hand, actually liked it and listened all the way through.

I may try it again at some point, but not very likely

Glenn

Just your typical biker, blogging atheist preacher’s kid

Profile photo of Garrett Wheeler

I play football, so I loved the Rookie, but I’m sure its not for everyone.

Profile photo of Chuck Baker

I have to say The Rookie and Ancestor are by far my favorites, and I am frothing at the mandibles for Scott to get the next installment cranked out.
    Sorry for those that didn’t like it, but you missed the boat there.
    Great story that will make a great series (and hopefully a great movie and video game someday!)

Profile photo of Maia W

I loved The Rookie BECAUSE it was different. I saw new aspects of Scott’s writing and loved the plot development. Certainly, my love of American football had something to do with my initial interest in it, but the quality of the writing is undeniable in my view. The scenes when the listener gets inside Quentin’s head in the heat of the game were a favorite. The host of alien characters and underworld intrigue created a unique and unfamiliar settings that I was eager to explore and hear about.

My husband and his buddy were in the car for a long trip and were sucked in to the story after just hearing a few minutes of game action in the story. Up to that point, I could not get my husband to listen to ANY podcasts novels – he just wasn’t interested. With The Rookie, I didn’t have to do a damned thing except turn up the volume.

————
    KnitWitch

Profile photo of

THE ROOKIE is quite different from the other stories, granted. A lot of non-football fans dug it, some for story, some for the scifi, space-opera backdrop. Others just couldn’t get into it. Those that stopped listening, of course, will die a far worse death than those that did, but you knew that going in …

Profile photo of CPK IrishmanFromOhio

The Irishman from Ohio"I never Get to Get it!"-Wacko Warner
    At first I did not like it. I prefer Football or American Football. But half way through NFL stuff FINALLY clicked in my head. It started to make sense. So the rest of The Rookie kept me listening. Its my lest liked Sigler fest, but I believe the next one will be a greater read/podcast.
    At least Sigler is a superior writer too me. And his work is free.

Profile photo of Michael Bowen

I think that The Rookie was a great story and I can’t wait for The Starter. I will grant you that it was different than any thing else that I have heard from Scott, but, it told a story about football and friendship and even a bit about coming of age( you know, not Scott’s usual subjects) while still mixing in aliens, gore and the Scott Sigler twist. I didn’t think that could be done with a story about sports but once again Sigler surprised me. However, I do understand that people who tuned in expecting to get their usual dose of Sigler’s lots and lots of violence were left wanting more violence and a little less of the other stuff. I was in that camp at the begining, but the story’s quality and uniqueness one me over in the end.

Profile photo of Megan Enloe

Erin, you hung in there longer that I could. I didn’t even finish it. But hie certainly is back on his game with Nocturnal. It’s bloody awesome, and I’m not just saying that because he asked me to do the intro for #5.

PodcastJunky.com
    Sharing the best stuff on my iPod and asking you the question…What are you listening to?

Profile photo of Erin Potter

OK so I am a total junkie! I loved Earthcore, Ancestor, Infection….and then we get to Rookie. Which I think totally sucked!!! I listened to the whole thing and I thought it might get better but it didn’t!! It was a podcast about footbal….not violence and gore and gross and yuck like I like! All the call ins I have heard except for one LOVED the Rookie. Is there anyone out there who thinks that it sucked????

Erin
    Podcast Junky’s official sidekick
    http://www.podcastjunky.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.