This topic contains 19 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ciarán Purcell Ciarán Purcell 5 years, 2 months ago.

Do you think America will continue to produce hardcovers for the foreseeable future?

• Profile photo of Ciarán Purcell

Captain Picard: Mister Crusher SHUT UP! Doctor, get this child off my bridge.

Mal: Well lady, I must say……you’re my kinda stupid  UFS

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

I have a friend that loved to borrow my books.

he would take them in the tub with him to read.

Of course he would replace them but some things cannot be replaced.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of Belladonna420

I made my mom replace a book that she borrowed from me because she totally creased the spine!!  It looked brand new when I loaned it to her.  I also have a friend that folds the pages over to save her place in the book.  Neither one of them are coming anywhere near my copy of The Rookie!!!!! 

Profile photo of Ciarán Purcell

My entire family thinks i’m an obsessive freak because i don’t like breaking the spine on my books. On top of that, i love books that are really old but still in good condition.

but thanks to Mr. Hearst and his croneys we can’t use them.

Profile photo of Wolf

I still got mine! Some things I refuse to let go of.

PS; "Given the alternatives, it just doesn’t make sense to keep destroying trees to make paper, when those trees are what keeps our little planet liveable by producing oxygen."

Nice. I’ll have to print that out.

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]
    And Friend of MuchAdo!

Profile photo of Ciarán Purcell

There;s nothing like feeling a book with a bit of weight behind it! Unfortunately i think they will start dying out in the future

Profile photo of Renee Jordan

"Print is dead."

The time will come when physical books will go the way of the 8-track tape. Paper in general will hopefully go away eventually. Given the alternatives, it just doesn’t make sense to keep destroying trees to make paper, when those trees are what keeps our little planet liveable by producing oxygen.

I know it sounds silly, but when you really think about it, it makes sense.

Okay, it makes sense to me. Bear in mind that I’m a little insane in the membrane too :)

**UNdead/GirlCo – We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

Profile photo of JT Manis

They’re also much more fragile overall, lower quality paper that yellows easier, etc. 

Also I can’t stand having the spine creased and wrinkled. 

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

I don’t pay a higher price for things like that.  I just like collecting first editions from my favorite author.   Not to say I’ve never payed above cover price for a 1st edition but never have I paid $200 (or $100 or $75 either). 

[flickr-photo:id=3763066856,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

I’ve never had an issue with it and I’ve moved plenty myself. Different folks have different experiences and form different opinions. Such is life.

[flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3727549381,size=s]

You’ve created a core of rabid junkies who are willing to purchase your material even though they might not do so otherwise. There was a question on the boards recently about how to ensure you saw the maximum amount of money from a book sale. Normal authors don’t get that type of inquiry. The time and effort you’ve put into the social media sphere has really paid off in that regard. If you didn’t have that loyal fan base, there’s no way in hell you could have sold off more than half the print run of THE ROOKIE before it even hit Amazon.

Every junkie has their own reason for supporting you. For me, the fact that you’re the foremost pioneer in the Podiobook field is probably the primary reason. If you didn’t podcast your work right along with selling your novels, I wouldn’t be buying them or helping you out as much as I do. I believe in the cause so I give both my money and my time.

I concur on the library front. Hardcovers are the best way to go there. Books which go through hundreds of different people’s hands and get abused need to have maximum protection. 

Ditto with the migration towards digital media. Not sure if it will be the Kindle, iPhone, eReader or some other format, but digital doesn’t degrade at all. You can make an infinite number of copies at essentially no cost so the profitability is phenomenol as well. Books will never die out completely. They smell yummy and some folks will always like them, but digital will become the dominant medium in the next 10-15 years IMHO.

[flickr-photo:id=3727587091,size=s][flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3727549381,size=s]

They’re the first edition. My guess is that even if hardcovers do go away for the most part, publishers will still print collector’s editions for that very reason. Many already do this and release them for exorbitant sums with some sort of bells and whistles. Terry Goodkind did signed and numbered leatherbound editions that had a cover price of ~ $200.00. Yet one more reason that our FDO rocks.

I haven’t. I’ve read my favorite books dozens of times and they’re still plenty readable. Of course they’re not "good as new." Entropy acts on everything physical. Yet another reason that digital media will likely supplant print media.

I like that they look better on the book shelf IMHO

I like that they last alot longer than any softcover edition.

I guess I should answer the actual question. I think books will slowly dissaappear.  although I prefer my real books over my sony reader. 

I have gotten other books that are hardcover editions from England, spain and germany. was this statement about other countries dropping hardcovers something that happened in the last 6 months?

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

It’s all about the collection.  For collectors, the hard covers make the book last longer.  Nobody and I mean nobody reads my collectables.

[flickr-photo:id=3763066856,size=m] and friend of GirlCo’s official mascot

Profile photo of Wolf

There’s just something about the ‘feel’ of a hardcover book that adds to the reading experience.  

[flickr-photo:id=3383210176,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3722083270,size=m]
    And Friend of MuchAdo!

Profile photo of

There are two kinds of people that buy hardcovers: collectors, and people that simply have to have the story right when it comes out (also libraries, but they are not "people" per se). I’m going after the collectors market, trying to make a book that is so damn sweet you just HAVE to have it.

I think the whole print market is gradually going away (and that doesn’t mean books will "disappear," but it does mean they will be less frequent — just look at the music market and CD sales in comparison to the growth of MP3 sales. Digital is the main consumption format of the future). 

Profile photo of Pons Matal

versions of books that I intend to keep as collectables. The hardcovers provide better protection to the pages and also they can be nicely embossed.

KISS’d by Sigler. Pusher twice over. UNdead Advisor to the King Of UNdead for Sigler.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m]

I was quite surprised at one of the stories I heard within the interview PG Holyfield did with Philippa Ballantine on Dead Robots’ Society #80. Pip was relating an anecdote about when she went shopping for Infected. She discovered that America is the only place left on the planet that still does hardcover editions. The cost is far too prohibitive in the rest of the world.

The only reason I buy hardcover editions of your novels is that you’ve made it quite clear that it’s the best way for the junkies to support you. I’m fairly certain that I’ve never purchased any other novel in hardcover during my adult life. I’m all about the mass market paperback. Hardcovers are ludicrously expensive and a waste of natural resources to boot. Paperbacks are cheaper, easier to read, lighter, and have a much softer environmental impact. I can’t think of a single way in which a hardcover is better than a paperback. At least to me.

Do you think that Americans will eventually drop the hardcover format? Or do you think that we will cling to it as we have the English units system of measurements? The rest of the world has moved away from hardcovers, just as they moved on to the metric system. I hate it when the US chooses stubborness over logic.

You can hear the full DRS episode here (01:22:17). I’ve also cut the excerpt I refer to and posted it here (0:02:08) if your time is limited. If you have the time, give the whole interview a listen. Pip and PG are hilarious together. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.