This topic contains 63 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Garrett Makhoul Garrett Makhoul 3 years ago.

Death and prog metal

I couldn’t make it to the SS tour this year, heard FA crushed though. No Arch Enemy, but I just got my tickets for Veil Ov Maya and After The Burial, Fn ssttoookkkeedd

“Wolfmans’ got nards”

If anyone’s into technical, symphonic deathmetal check out Fleshgod Apocalypse. Their new cd is called Agony and it will make you straight up prolapse. Born of Osiris’s new cd The Discovery fn crushes too. I could go on and on….but I wont put anyone through that. If anyone else is into this stuff lemme kno m/

“Wolfmans’ got nards”

Love Ventana! Do you like Circus of Dead Squirels? Their new album is amazing!

Sound like early Rammstein. There is something about German metal that makes me wanna screammmmm… m/..m/

aka nilling

back in june when he was touring with fear factory. J Mann Popson’s band Pitch Black Forecast was playing before Fear Factory and it just so happens that Hoglan does the drums for that band too

gothguy720.deviantart.com

He’s got an old band thats good as fuck, but they only made one album. The band’s called Imperanon, they’re melodic and fast. good shit

How about White Chapel, Suicide Silence, Miss May I, Carnifex, Upon a Burning Body, Impending doom, Job For A Cowboy, Veil of Maya and Within The Ruins

Minus Metallica, but to each his own.

Metal heads should also check out: Behemoth, Satyricon, Chthonic, The black Dahlia Murder, Chimaira, As blood Runs Black (Especially if you like break downs)

If your into industrial stuff check out Mushroomhead, Deathstars, and Ventana

Starting with two of my favorites.

AMON AMARTH – Heavy Metal – This group is legend, some growling but is controlled and deep voice no high pitch or squeal.
    Songs: Death in Fire, Twilight of the Thunder Gods, Guardians of Asguard, Bloodshed, and on and on

BAL SAGOTH – Epic metal – This band has created an entire story wherein (roughly) a mind is reincarnated throughout time in different bodies while keeping previous memories. This story spans SIX MOTHER-FXCKING ALBUMS and you can feel the band grow and define as you go through them. Can’t say enough about the composition and effort put into this band. Singer changes his voice when speaking different perspectives, so bad ASS.
    Songs: Calisto Rising, A Tale from the Deep Woods, Starfire Burning…,

Band lists:
    Female led – Nightwish, Epica, Sirenia, Unsun, Within Temptation, After Forever, Leave’s Eye’s, Dark Moor, Lacuna Coil, Volnaya Staya, INJA, Blackthorn (Russian one, not Irish), Amberian Dawn,

Just good stuff: Septic Flesh, Dissection, At The Gates, Children of Bodom, In Flames (pre-clayman), Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth (songs Her Ghost in the Fog & Midian), PAIN, Freedom Call, Luca Turrili & Rhapsody in Fire, Highland Glory, Silent Force, Holy Knights,

More: Slayer, Shadows Fall, Metallica (pre-black), Megadeth (pre-trust), Zakk Wyle & Black Label Society, Manson (antichrist back), SNOT!!! (Bitches!) Nonpoint, Prong, Pitchshifter, Blind Guardian, Fear Factory, Sevendust, Slipknot, System of a Down, Dope, Seraphim Shock, Drain STH, Iced Earth, Iron Maiden, TESTAMENT, White Zombie, Tool

Mentionable: I have always considered it unfair to myself to like only one genre of music. I like more than just metal, here is some more stuff to check out if you feel inclined.

Hip Hop (Not fxcking lil wayne or some other manufactored BS
    Immortal Technique, Blue Scholors, Del the funky homosapien (Deltron), Aesop Rock, Talib, Mos Def, Common, Wu-Tang Clan, NWA! (ha ha ha), Old Jay-Z (blueprint), Masta Ace…

Electronic: (trancy)
    OceanLab ft Above & Beyond, Gareth Emery, Ferry Corsten, Basshunter, AvB, Tiesto, Little boots, BT, Sam Sparro, DJ Shaw, ATB, Morecheeba, Sylver, Breeze, Lost Witness, 303 Infinity, Future sound of London, Chicane, Sash…

I could go on for days like this….

m/

yeah man still rockin the NES in this piece. Love Battletoads, damn hard tho. have to rack up multiple extra lives in the hole level.

I been playin dragon spirit lately. Basically you are dragon that grows more heads and bigger flames projectiles as you gain power ups, top scroller like old flying games. Also the adventures of LOLO. :p

Hell Yeah!

Dimmu is a standard in metal. Moreso you must listen to albums like ‘Stormblast’ & ‘For all tid’. Those albums are a sound you will not find anywhere, simply magick.

Their albums Enthroned Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, & Godless Savage Garden are a very different sound, but not bad, just different. If you don’t like the growling, you won’t like this as much.

damn I love to talk about //eTaL!

m/

yeah I’m addicited to CoB like a MOFO!
    I ritualistically listen to Warheart as the first song I listen to every Friday when I leave work.

other major fav songs include;
    Downfall, Bed of Razors, Children of Decadence, HELION! and of course Somebody put something in my drink!

Nice man, so few people know of Sybreed. Good Shxt my friend. Good Shxt!

m/

They’re great, especially live. Seen them three time so far.

I thought I had found an amazing new band when I heard one of their songs, then the dude started screaming and I pretty much just shut down.

Instrumentally, I dig the everloving shit out of them; vocally I can’t touch them with a 12 foot pole.

Hope Amazon and/or iTunes has samples of it. I haven’t heard of a lot of the bands, but I am an 80′s metal head who likes the more hard core stuff you can mosh to. My only requirement is that I need to actually be able to understand the lyrics rather than having incomprehensible screaming. If it bounces back and forth(a la Kittie), that’s fine.Unfortunately a lot of death metal bands think screaming is sufficient.

• Tangent & Funky Name Brother; Founder of the Gutter Brethren; Frequent [flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

At 78 speed on my old turntable, after chuging chough syrup, and sustaining a head injury. ROCK HEAVY!!!!

lamb of god, arch enemy, children of bodom, kalmah, behemoth, black dahlia murder… so many great metal bands

my niece got me turned on to them, Also Dethklok, Type o Negative, and Dragon Force.

Richno3…….out

Marduk, Nachtmystium, mayhem, Afterlight, goatwhore

Impending Doom, Becoming The Archetype, With Blood Comes Cleansing, For Today or Alove for Enemies?

All Shall Perish, Heaven Shall Burn, Sybreed, Scar Symmetry

(and it shocked me too) that moe. was described in a recent article as a prog rock band.  And since I read it on the internet, it must be true.  :-)

Honestly though, I wonder if they’re throwing the jam band genre in under the prog umbrella?  Dunno, But… there it is.

both great bands…but hardly in the ‘death and prog metal’ grouping i’d say   ;-)

Good show.  Hippie chicks.

note:  Chuck and Al from moe. are listed in Rolling Stone’s top 20 of "The New Guitar Gods"

Copacabana!  A song about chicks, booze and guns!  Metal!!!

Innocent

British gothic cowboys.. Frak yeah! 

**UNdead/GirlCo - We’ll eat your brains and look good doing it.**

I was cruising around the music on Vampire freaks, and found an intense band. Their name is Gotherfall, and they are from europe somewhere, idk where. All i know is that their music is brutal, and will make you bleed from the ears

They make me soo happy Cool 

It always makes me laugh when he does his girlie cough. I love it! Laughing 

Beat you to it! Started listening to them too about a year ago. Vredesbyrd’s not a bad song. Don’t have a lot of their stuff though. One album and the odd song floating around. Anyone like Nightwish? Orchestral sound but with amazing vocals!

Captain Picard: Mister Crusher SHUT UP! Doctor, get this child off my bridge.

Mal: Well lady, I must say……you’re my kinda stupid  UFS

…Barry Manilow and Kenny G don’t count? That "Copacabana" rawks pretty hardcore though. And don’t get me started on "Songbird"…can’t tell you how many times I’ve moshed to that one :)

Just run the plays I call, Barnes!

You may like Dimmu Borgir. They’re Norwegian black metal and really good. 

Mark "The Mangler" Wheeler

#1 Contender for the heavyweight title.

I think their musical style is brilliant. Orchestral and heavy metal fit very well. But as soon as your man starts singing i can’t listen to it. I’m a fan of In Flames, Bodom and some other scream/growl bands but i can’t get around Danny Filth’s voice for some reason.

Captain Picard: Mister Crusher SHUT UP! Doctor, get this child off my bridge.

Mal: Well lady, I must say……you’re my kinda stupid  UFS

Cradle of Filth is wicked too. Their music is intense, heavy, crunchy, and industrial. they incorperate orchestral tracks into their music, and are all around great gothic poets 

I am a fan of I AM

I love Dream Theater and Tool. I will have to check the others out.

I am a fan of I AM

hey guys, yeah i listen to metal, not wihil listenint to  scots podcast but just in general, my favorite bands are dream theater, in flames, scar symmetry, tool,, anyways i just finished contagious #2. been listening awsome shit since like ancestor, but i typically wait till there is a bunch of episodes  already posted.

poor lil tink tink

and i have to agree with you on that one.

I specialize in accurate interpretation of your pathetically unclear and dismally vague descritpion of what you think you want.

Just about every Underoath cd since 1999. "The Changing of Times" is by far their best album

"So do you guys have Battletoads..?"

if fuckin’ hardcore. Anything like them or As I Lay Dying, Underoath, Marylin Manson, Disturbed…blah blah blah…is right up my alley. But Otep, damn they’re amazing. Otep’s my favorite band right now.

I specialize in accurate interpretation of your pathetically unclear and dismally vague descritpion of what you think you want.

Nice choices. I will have to check out the Stone Sour.

I’m a Pusher. Won’t you be a Pusher too?

As far as new stuff, the newest Stone Sour cd is pretty good. Protest the Hero is cool, too.

I’ll also mention Rammstein, Slipknot, Slayer, Napalm Death, Metallica, Megadeth, Prong…. lots of great metal :) 

Those are all excellent choices. I also love Hatebreed, Lamb of God, Mastodon, etc.

Emmure is pretty fucking brutal, As I Lay Dying is great, and most just straight up Grind/Metal/Hardcore is right up my alley. Oh and Dethklok, "The Most Metal Band in the Universe"

"When i say your dumb name step forward and forsake all other before your new digital ruler…"

French metal band, but don’t let that put you off they ROCK!

==============

Option Number Four

Meshuggah, Skinless, Disturbed, Dope, Drowning Pool or Genuflect

[gamertag:StevenBoyd666]

"They don’t want to help you, they want to kill you!"

well thats what industrial music is. It’s heavy metal with a synth 

Death metal with a techno beat? sorta like Fear Factory’s later works, or Ultraviolence?

In the immortal words of Socrates "I Drank What?!"

Avatar of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

look up Horse The Band. it is death metal with a techno beat.

By the way, Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Poisonblack and In Flames are pretty bad ass 

Metal bands like those are ageless!

“I still can’t tell if that’s funny or really scary.”

I’ll admit, they are one of the best Metallica cover bands out there.

Metal to me is Old Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Iron Maiden, Iced Earth, Exodus, Black Sabbath…

Maybe I’m just gettin old…

what’s wrong with a bit of senseless violence to a lemming?

they’re only going to walk off a cliff.

DEATHSTARS, Deadstar Assembly, MUSE, MANSON, Bullet For My Valentine, Children of Bodom, and Lamb of God 

Avatar of Christopher P. Kearney

Dream Theater is only of the best bands to live in the history of music…well at least since the last Ice Age….

The Irishman from Ohio

Nightwish. They make the kind of music that can hurt my ears everyday. When I play it really loud 

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

Once again, RAMMSTEIN FOR THE WIN.
mmm tasty metal

http://www.dnafay.wordpress.com / dnafay.co.nr

I put in my headphones to here JOBFORACOWBOY if you love death metal there the guys, and if you live around da bay like scott dose you might be able to see them live, they have done some gigs, in frisco

Mdojo

and chances are, i’ll listen to it

just not that damned rapcrap 

i like metal too. slipknot, korn, rob zombie are a few of my favs

When I’m not listening to Scott’s stories I’m usually listening to some form of metal, be it prog, death, power, goth although I also like some blues as well.

Fave band is Dream Theater

I should have joined this site last month but I was busy and wasn’t even able to keep up with the podcasts……. oh well.
I’ve been listening since Ancestor though….. m/ (>_<) m/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.