This topic contains 89 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tony Faulkner Tony Faulkner 5 years, 2 months ago.

Crack Hit hunter abuse of system: Feedback requested

• Profile photo of Tony Faulkner

Problem with this is we can just pad out the answer and go on and on and on and on and on and on…….etc

"Who is Number One?", "You, are Number Six!", "I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Profile photo of Tony Faulkner

We have posted before cashing in crack hits for goodies….

"Who is Number One?", "You, are Number Six!", "I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Profile photo of Tony Faulkner

could we base it on a vote system, ie number crack hits you get are based on voting 1-5 hits the same as yahoo answers etc…

Profile photo of Chris Wilks

I realized today I have some of these after several post I have made and I don’t know what they mean. I guess I will try to score us some crack by the 26th though Scott. Bring your pipe.

Profile photo of Kevin Van Sloun

kidding on the subject. but here is my idea,i dont know how hard it would be to implement, but maybe something where you get more crack hits per word/line that way people who are posting long… umm… posts, are rewarded for the thought put into them and crack hunters get hardly any. this would probably take longer to code for but noone would have to police just for the crack hunters.

Profile photo of Charles B.

It was good to meet the FDO in person.

Thanks for signing my book, I’m glad you loved my painting of the General Siglerisimo!!! 

Profile photo of Thomas Reed

but as to the rest, i cannot remember, ask pulsar he should know
    http://www.pgholyfield.com/maah/

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

Do you know if everyone loses the CHs from their comments too? That would be nasty. Imagine someone deleting the CH thread or one of the countdown threads…..

Thank you, George Hrab, for composing and performing the acoustic version of brainsbodyboth. Humorous yet poignant, and you gave me a theme song. I miss Ally <sigh>

select edit

i believe there is an option to delete (unless pulsar changed it, i know of this because i have done this)

He needs something to make him look larger to help out his ego. I’m sure you’ve noticed his problem with diminished self esteem.

Thank you, George Hrab, for composing and performing the acoustic version of brainsbodyboth. Humorous yet poignant, and you gave me a theme song. I miss Ally <sigh>

Profile photo of Stephen Wardrop

:P

-You thought triangles were bad under your skin. Well, try a yak.-

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

would look pretty cool on a Harley.

I believe you are mistaken sir. 99% sure only Scott and Pulsar have the authority to delete posts/threads, but I could be wrong.

to delete it
    (so does pulsar and a few others)

so if this thread has become *useless* or repetative……..POOF*

or not………….

Profile photo of CPK IrishmanFromOhio

The Irishman from Ohio

I don’t know of and have not seen many posts that offer absolutely nothing to the conversations. I mean, what is the point, anyway? If you overtake everyone and get the top CH spot only to find that everybody hates you because you spammed… I dunno, but I can’t see myself as liking that. And if people post in dead threads to get 5 CH’s, who cares anyway? Maybe they will bring the thread back alive. The fact is, it would take just as much time spamming as getting actively involved, and in my humble opinion, spamming would be a lot less fun.

I am also from Australia, but that doesnt stop me from getting into conversations. They are just long and drawn out… and of course, I miss some of the back-and-forth banter that goes on in like a physical chat. But meh

I realize they have not issued an album in bloody forever, but it *might* happen. I’m constantly surprised that the Children of Acid site is still growing.

And, yes, I must concur about the female fan base. Although that wasn’t what got me into their music. I actually like the philosophical concept behind it more than anything. Plus it has a good beat ;)

back in the day i could not get enought of that band’s music. Or at least the female fan base of thier music.

The Irishman from Ohio

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

illistrating a point….

that a post such as just is pushing the issue you are trying to remedy further into the ingrained system of people….

*nods*

The Platypus is a Semi-Aquatic Mammal

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’  

- Ronald Reagan

Profile photo of Pons Matal

I thought they were good. Thread fell from the ski when an orbiting planet or moon was at its closest point. The Dragon riders would fly and burn the thread before it hit the ground. Thread is described in the series as an agent that consumes organic material at a voracious rate, including crops, animals, and any humans in its path. Nasty little threads….

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

We must import Lords of Acid stat!

Now, as far as your being poo, there are several fecal consumers over in the CH thread I believe. Either there or the GirlCo one. I’m not positive. You may enjoy their intestinal tracts a bit more than The Thread, whatever that may be. Either way, variety is good.

which I never actually got around to reading <ducks head in embarassment>. Were they any good? It seemed like one of those never ending series similar to Piers Anthony’s Xanth series.

As far as trading in your CHs for crap, that *might* change. You never know what the FDO might have planned. He’s pretty sneaky. And it’s not like he’d share his evil designs with a peon like me. Although I seriously doubt it would be for something like a Harley.

Profile photo of Wolf

I get my CHs whenever I can!

when someone gets totally out of hand with ludicrously arbitrary posts.

Hold on, don’t we already have a different thread for doing this sort of thing?

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

I get 5 hits…

i tink the system works fine…

The Platypus is a Semi-Aquatic Mammal

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’  

- Ronald Reagan

Profile photo of Bob Merrell

just let people have fun. Who cares how many crack hits a junky has? It’s not like you can trade them in on a new Harley. It is one of the biggest problems we face today. People telling other people what is right and how to live their lives. This is what politicians do and look how f’d up they are.

I became poo after being eaten by BabyMcC’s kin. Then The Thread eats again. I think the only thing Thread does not eat is blow-up-dolls. You know, plastic and some metals…wait…there was no blow-up-dolls on Pern…

The Irishman from Ohio

Profile photo of Wolf

+5 for me!

Has anyone discovered any abuse in crack hunting? 

"Chief informationless officer of the office of knows nothing" Any questions? :)

begins now that the DragonRiderOfPernEatenByAncestors?

Profile photo of Antony Gitsham

My view is that I enjoy throwing my opinion in the mix with some fellow Junkies, As I live in Australia I usually miss all the conversations so it may appear I am the big bad CH hunter.  If what I am doing is wrong get the kitchen scissors and cut off my nutts, I dont blog anywhere else, if I cant blog here I will retire my views from the electronic world

and 42 CHs for being a KMFDM fan!! Yes, that was Sasha (sp?) who wrote/sung that.

well said, well said

now, let’s get to the point. you just posted that to get 5 crack hits, didn’t you? admit it? you were just after the hits and the false praise everyone is heeping on you? aren’t you?

anyone for some milk and cookies??

No one is perfect. Except a sinlge woman of the appropiate age with a little green in them…0r scocth, err scottish..ok BOTH!

The Irishman from Ohio

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

And I like the Irishman from Ohio even though my roots are Scottish!!!! Wink

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

I do more reading than posting. At one time I had over 1,200 CHs. I "gave away" most of mine in an attempt to bribe/buy a  OJ or two. For what reason, my own. If this is wrong in your veiw, let me know. Warn me or punish me. Just communicate with me. Don’t be afraid to share your views with me. I will comply, leave, for find a different way to do things.

I have only a few experiences with different posts and blogging. THe stuff with the Community of Siglerism is my favorite. The "followers" fo the FDO *on-line at least* for the most part have impressed me with your civility*ms*. Yes I took a chance and said Junkies have proven to have manners and ethics. Brother/sister/family verbaling smaking each other around while drunk or on something else. The main reason I regularly check with my fellows Junkies, as long as one CHOOSES to be a Junkie, is the banter betwenn Gmork, Tweed, Girlco*TM*and Wolf. These three individualsand one power house group, I can relate to the most. Even though I am a guy in his thirties. Even though my only experience with them is on-line. EVen you all tallerratte my ruun on sentences and pooer grammarr and gnilleps. We should be gratifully there is a post ANYWHERE on the web this open. To hear, like, dislike, love, hate, agree, disagree, and just think something is full of crap.

This freedom has been around virtually unchanged for over one year. From what I am told and experienced, these rarely lasts longer than two months! If the folks how designed this place of community feel its being abuse, confront the abusers. If they keep abusing this site let them go. If they stop the abuse forgive and move on. Like most hing in life, its a privlege*ms* not a right.

In my opinion, if the FDO & FEQ*FutureEvilQueen*, or who ever runs these sites feels obligated to step in. Then do so. This site is free. We do not pay for it. The artians and crafters of Siglerism work for free to entertain us. THey CHOOSE to do these for strangers. That takes guts. Willingness to take a chance for NOTHING in return. To be more than a taker. A comsumer.

"Silence is Death, But only Death is Silence."=KMFDM…I think…

The Irishman from Ohio

Profile photo of ogreoregon

This one is interesting, lots of really serious contemplation about motives…. and posting just to get the crack hit points, who knew that we would take the time to think about it…. now give me my +5.
    *I am the Rear Admiral but Sigler gives the Orders*

Profile photo of Shawn Laing

I joined the site almost a year ago after just looking as a guest a crapload of times. I got lazy as a member and didn’t log in (I don’t know why). I’ve recently decided that I should start participating in this thing that we call the forums, and my crack hits are going up at a pretty good speed, but I’m not replying to every single thing just to crack the top 10. 

You don’t understand. I’M not locked in here with YOU. YOU’RE locked in here with ME. – Rorschach

Profile photo of Jason Farris

At least, every board that has post counts.  You have people that try to drive up their counts for whatever reason.  Maybe they want that cool new title.  Maybe they’re just looking for a way to boost their e-ego.  Who knows? 

To me, CHs are just a way to show who’s active on the board and to give out a little love now and again to posters who really contribute.  I don’t post just for the hits.  I post to commune with my fellow disciples in Siglerism.  Maybe I’m an old fart, but I’ve never been one for post/friend/link whoring.  In the end, it doesn’t put beer in my fridge.

Profile photo of jeff short

This is a great way to rack up hits, and who does not to get hits??

Profile photo of Donald Martin

I cant tell who’s funnier, Wolf or Jam

• These gathering hosts of loyal junkies, under the command of the great SCOTT

and people racking up points just to rack up points, let ‘em. if it becomes obvious that is what is happening, we correct the little asswipe’s ways and take them on a long walk on a short pier (it’s old, i know, but gets the point across)

Profile photo of Barbara Jungbauer

I’m going to have to get a photo of Skye in the bath.  When she does ‘Werewolf Face’, it’s truly awe inspiring.  Well, Connor’s is pretty damn impressive too.
    Tastes Like Chicken

Profile photo of john bennett

and nine toes 

hell if it taste like chicken,bring me chicken!

rodney carigton

Profile photo of Wolf

Ya gotta watch them ankles, red

"+5 for me"

Profile photo of Jordan Willis

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

THE LIL STINKER BIT ME

rodney carigton

Profile photo of Wolf

Don’t Think & Drive! 

"+5 for me"

rodney carigton

rodney carigton

Profile photo of Peter Braat

[1st Dutch junkie] All that matters is getting my fix.

You tried to buy my books with crack hits!  No way!!!  I would never sell my books for crack hits!  I just give my books away so that I can get people hooked.  Then they have to buy from me and I have them under my CONTROL.  Now if someone wants to show their gratitude by giving me crack hits then "heeeeyyyyyyyyyy"!

"Even crazy people sometimes base their fiction on an ounce of truth" -S. Sigler

Red’s just reel’n from all the crack we been getting lately! :)

[brood en brood met brood ertussen] – My Mothers famous answer to whats for dinner!

Profile photo of Nathan Wells

Nate Dogg… The only signature I need is my fist.

I think thats the whole point of "give chs"

is that better than just "lol"?

Profile photo of Gmork

Wolf, your "+5 for me" comment just made me literally laugh out loud.

some people MAY have some problems with others,witch may lead to harsh post,stuff that is typed out in haste.that may lead to multipule post for no other reason,than to post.

let it be said that i am not a typest,this is a leagl outlet for me personaly.and i enjoy it.i don’t blog,i don’t surf the web for crazy things do keep me busy. this is the only site i belive in.its entertaining to me and ch,s just show it to the public.

i have met people here that i have connected with and enjoy posting with.to be told i can’t post a LOL POST is silly.

rodney carigton

from the man who posted singing online,a ch palooza.

and a REDneck frapper aswell.content is in the eye of the beholder.

rodney carigton

i can see a system where

a. post a forum thread  5 ch’s

b . for every post you get on that forum 1 ch

c. for lets say every 20 post on said forum 10 bonus ch’s

d. no ch’s for posting but the creator of said forum gets say 30 forum cack hits that he can dole out to others "as deemed fitting"and lets say that every 20 post forum creator recives extra bonus forum crack hits to disribute out

but with any change there is a way to abuse anything.this is no exeption.blind power or guided madness?

rodney carigton

Seems to me that the consensus is NOT to censor anything, which is kind of what I expected. I think we’ve done a pretty good job of ganging up on people when they get out of hand. I know it worked with me. I’ve always thought of this forum as akin to a mental mosh pit. And it operates with similar rules. Have fun, be rough, but don’t be an asshole.

And if it ever gets *truly* out of hand, all someone needs to do is bring it to someone’s attention and we’ll deal with it on a case by case basis. I echo pretty much every sentiment on here, if you couldn’t tell from my initial post. Pulsar wanted me to feel out how y’all felt about it, so I did. Go ahead, make the puns, I’m fully expecting it……

LET FREEDOM REIGN!!!

– hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

when N8 suggested a monetary value for CHs. I’m 95% sure he was kidding, but I felt compelled to smack that shit down toot sweet.

– hit Podiobooks.com for undiluted crack by our FDO! –

… you think that the more CH’s you have the more respected you are in our community????

because it is more about the quality of your posts than about the quantity. I’m sure you agree with me on that

I am not here for the CH and I simply come here to relax and take my mind of things. I also like the fact that we can say what we want when we want. It all adds to the atmosphere and the fun for me. This is the only forum I post things on and that mailny because of what I just said. And if and when people post here purely for CH’s than let the.

Who cares if people have more CH’s than others  (I know I don’t)

If the forum were heavily moderated most of the fun would go out of it for me…. but than again, if there are to many people here Mods may or may not become necessary. but not to yell at people because they post for CH’s. 

I too consider most of you as (virtual) friends or at the very least (virtual) cool people

Profile photo of Wolf

I admit it. I’ve done it. When I was younger and had looser morals. I didn’t inhale, though.

Seriously, usually when I post here, it’s because I feel I have something to contribute. I think just about everybody here feels the same way. I have done my share of "+5 for me" postings but I think that’s part of the experience of living in the Siglerverse. This is the only forum I post at or even subscribe to, for that matter. Honestly, with what I deal with in real life, this place helps me to escape just as much as the podcasts do. The people here are important to me. If nobody’s getting hurt and it ain’t causing gas prices to keep going up, why worry about it? The moderators are doing their "jobs". Let them. If you want to give me demerits for a "LOL" post when I want to let a poster know that I found hisher post amusing, go ahead. I guess my opinion is that I don’t really have an opinion. Except that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

+ 5 for me

Just Dew it!

:p

[brood en brood met brood ertussen] – My Mothers famous answer to whats for dinner!

Profile photo of

Say whatever you like as long as you’ve got something to say. If Pulsar, myself or any other moderator finds replies that looks like crack-hit-bloating, we can just delete them. I think it’s awesome people are looking for for abuse on the system, and that people are having fun with this. The people bloating probably won’t be too upset if a few bloat-posts vanish, because they know they been caught being evil. Not that that’s a bad thing …

but someone has to do it. too many +5 posts could potentionally clutter the forums.

G-Man

Nine million terrorists in the world I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister. – John McClane

I don’t think i post "just 4 chs" but i do like getting them.  its fun. so sue me.
    if there was a real mod on this site, it wouldnt be as fun. Gman started out with "oh lookie 5 for me" posts, but he is now one of the most respected members of our community
    The first (i think) thread i posted was about CHs and if you posted just for them. now it is one of the bigger threads, filled with some moments i shant soon forget.
    (ps i think hes just pouting since i tried to buy muchados books with chs :P)

and the whole "+5 for me!" thing is pretty much over…

STOP READING IT PUSSSSSAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!

was created by the FDO and everyone knows, that you do not cross the FDO.

G-Man

Profile photo of Gmork

Having been around since just about the time of inception at this forum I would have to tell you that I am not a fan of restricting people for posting with the intention of moving up the crack hits list.  Yes, it can sometimes be annoying but here is my argument for keeping it free:

1. It’s cyclical: You’ll notice a pattern of people posting for crack hits and then disappearing once they’ve reached some level they feel happy with, they fall off the map.
    2. Peer pressure: This is the first forum I’ve participated in where there hasn’t been a moderator and it’s actually kind of refreshing. The people who do post here often are adult enough to call some one out when they are just posting for CH’s and most people respond favorably and realize they better calm down with the posts or they don’t get it and become the whipping boy until they do calm down (i.e. n8 — sorry no offense, just calling it like I see it).  The system of peer pressure actually works pretty well on this site
    3. It’s mostly funny: Agreeing with g-man on this one, sometimes people posting for CH’s is just effin funny.
    4. It’s a fine line: The thread counting down the number of users to 4,000 could be considered posting for CH’s but that is my single most favorite thread right now.  So what if the preordained moderator doesn’t like the post but the rest of us do?

My general philosophy when dealing with this type of behavior is if CH’s is really that important to them then let ‘em have at it.  In the grand scheme of things it’s not the thing that will make or break my world.  I love that the FDO in his most recent installment of Nocturnal gives a nod to the fact that there is no moderator here and that very few things, if any are removed or altered.  That’s the kind of coumminity it’s been and so far it’s worked.  As always, this is just my humble opinion.

Most posts like that are in good humor and on topic. There maybe a few otherwise. But they are not that bothersome.

Thanks for all the great work you do in keeping the site up and going! Gotta worry some! Would hate to lose your expertise.

Thats why I was wondering if there might be an underlying cost issue for server space/usage. Other than that CH’s are something to collect while having fun. They have no redemption value (that I’m aware of) and are a status symbol of participation to the Junkies.

like Gmork’s reply to JP’s post by saying "he said balls", or am i not understanding what your saying.

G-Man

Profile photo of Paul Rogalinski

I am just concerned about the annoyance level in this thread caused by 0-content replies which are obviously to hunt crack hints.

Even not being not that very active on the forums I have noticed some silly behaviour like quoting previous replies with only "he said: …" attached to them. So I wonder if this is getting a problem or if you guys manage to handle such grumblers.

Cheers!

Paul.

G-Man

I am signed up on the website of three other podcasters similar to Scott’s website.  This is the only one where I regularly post AND more importantly, this is the only one where I have made what I consider friends.  I would certainly hate to lose that by having restrictions on posting.  It is difficult to connect with people who enjoy the same type of SciFi/Horror that Sigler puts out.  Just my opinion perhaps others don’t feel the same way I do.  

"Even crazy people sometimes base their fiction on an ounce of truth" -S. Sigler

who would monitor to see who was posting just for crack hits and what would be the criteria for posting just for crack hits?

G-Man

I guess if excessive non-relavent posting is happening maybe? But I’m not sure how you would watchdog it? But Like G-Man mentioned Its sorta part of the Junkie mentality. There are alot of one word responses that fly around also. Most are posted in context or for fun and not meant to be abusive. Just like the Crack hits thread.

I have wondered though about with the amount of forums and posts on the site. Does this cause added work for Pulsar and what about server space usage and cost? If these are considerations then I would be open to such an Idea.

Profile photo of ogreoregon

Really thought about it, and I think that most of the people who actually post a lot are like me, and  I like to put my 2 cents in now and then, (and I have a lot of cents) and the conversations between the posters are usually so entertaining, even if they post a lot. There may be a few who just post only for hits, never addressing the conversation or adding a funny thought or even a reply to a current topic, but I think these are few.  And I don’t think it really matters to me if they do that.
    It is fun to be able to give crack hits but I would not want to second guess anyones reason for posting something, and remove points as a penalty.
    *I’m Rear Admiral but Sigler won a PARSEC*

but senseless crack hit posting is part of this website, part of what makes it so fun. There are only two problems to it that I see and those are that it clutters up the threads and people that do it nonstop. It wouldn’t be fair to punish those who do it every now and then, because, lets face it everyone has done it at least once. Just my opinion.

G-Man

The issue has been raised that there are those in this forum who are abusing the way crack hits work (ie automatically giving 5 for each post). We’d like some feedback on it to see if it is serious enough to be addressed.

Pulsar’s suggestion is that we penalize folks who are replying to a thread only to get crack hits (eg subtract 100 crack hits from their total). I agree this would be effective, but who would judge when someone is replying to a thread for crack hits only? Would a one warning system suffice? 

There’s also the problem of noticing/reporting/policing. I don’t want it to turn into a "I’m going to tell <name> on you!" or an us vs them attitude. At the same time, most of the moderators spend comparatively little time in the forums compared to the hard core junkies. If you didn’t believe I thought too much about things before, I bet you do now, huh?

Would it kill the relaxed and fun nature of the community? I’ve been reminded recently that many come here to simply let their proverbial hair down and chill out, maybe imbide a virtual beverage or three. I’m guessing these folks aren’t going to want to worry about rules and regulations. So, please, give us your feedback. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.