This topic contains 13 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Arioch Morningstar Arioch Morningstar 3 years, 4 months ago.

Chapters 1-5 …

I can only make one person happy each day. Sorry, today’s not your day. Tomorrow’s not looking so good either.

…assume a basic knowledge of American Football and sports-based American vernacular – but that’s completely understandable (and OK!) coming from an American writer. I don’t like it when Aussie authors ‘dumb down’ for an international audience and I don’t expect international authors to do it, either.

I’m really glad I stuck with it and I’m glad you did, too! I’ve recommended these books to a number of Australians and the first thing I say is “Just ignore the American Football references in the blurb – you don’t need to understand/like football to enjoy the story”. Apologies to Scott if that sounds rude, but the story is emotional and complex and just as rewarding without football knowledge. :)

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

That is exactly what happened to me … In the beginning I went back and listened to the tutorials and re-read trying to make sure I had it all right in my head but I got distracted multitasking and found that the story was so gripping I didn’t want to go back and make sure I had all of the FB positions correct! I think the hardest part was that first chapter … maybe it was put there to sort the … nevermind … LOL … I am just glad I found you lot and u motivated me to stick with it!!! Thanx!

I DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS! Lately there’s been a reign of daily spider terror here! Vindictive kamikaze spiders from hell! I agree with Belladonna – NIGHTMARES IF I can even sleep! LOL Multitasking with Zombiland … I love zombie movies AND laughing!!

I agree. By chapter 3 or 4 there was more story than football plays. It made it much easier to read without going back and re-reading.

Thank you!!!! I think my aliens were a little off in my head LOL

I dont think I’ve heard a female voice yet, thou I will keep it in mind to not openly laugh at the manly man trying to be girlie?

I cannot believe those creative monsters! They’re great!

Thanx!

I agree. I wouldn’t have the first clue about American Football (as a non-sports-watching Aussie) and I really struggled with it, at first. Kept going back and re-reading, and checking tutorials, trying to work out who was doing what. But in the end, I decided it simply didn’t matter (to me) if what I was picturing was ‘correct’. If it sounded like the guy was running down the side of the field, then he was. What do I care if that real-life position doesn’t go near the sides of the field?

I’m sure it would be much easier to read if you’re familiar with football jargon, and that aspect certainly slowed me down. Ultimately, the story is much more important than the gameplay, so that’s what I decided to focus on… and I still managed to picture some awesome, action-packed games of whatever-the-hell-it-was in my head.

[flickr-photo:id=4730034487,size=m] ~S&N Bouncer and Official Hitwoman for the Gutter Sistren~

the look in his eyes says that hand is half-wrist deep.

Ok, so it has too many eyes. But the fur is right-ish. :P Both this pic and the other are missing a set of limbs. But don’t you just want to hug Orko the Trollan?

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

Those pics are going to haunt MY dreams!! Thanks a lot!

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

I thought BigJohn beat me to it, but I can do better!! Check out the Sigler wiki for some fan-drawn representations of the alien races in the FDO’s books. There’s also a drawing of a Quyth Leader here, which is conspicuously absent from the alien races page.

Also, “the reader” is the FDO himself. He reads all his podiobooks. Just don’t laugh at his female voices… at least not to his face! Wink

* * Head Biker Babe & [flickr-photo:id=4891502501], Dead Sexy Dealer, The Juicer, Co-Founder of the Gutter Sistren & Proud Member of GirlCo. * *

Scott does a great job of teaching football to the layman, but all of that is really secondary to the awesome story that’s being weaved in the GFL series.

Here’s some visual references that might help you with pedipalps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedipalp

I always visualize them like the ones on a spider, which haunt my dreams, but I think in the Rookieverse they’re a little bit longer and muscular like their other appendages.

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

SO … I know I am far behind but I’m trying to catch up … many thanx to Shady Girl, Belladonna and I believe Big John … I listened to the basics and passing tutorials … yes … football school. And then I went to iTunes because I can’t find the book (I got the book as a gift!! DOH! It was borrowed like Infected and Contageous, I am never gonna see it again, am I)

I’m finishing chapter six right now.

Once I listened to that first football scene, twice … (I couldnt have done it without the tutorials) … and then continued listening … by the 4th chapter I was pretty much hooked … I like the Quentin character and the football seems realistic according to the tutorials.

In the begnning I found that every once in awhile if I wasn’t paying close attention I had to go back and re-listen to make sure I understood what just happened LOL

Every time I hear “pedipelts” or whatever, I laugh … I have got to go back and re-read about that so I can get a better mental image. I am sorta sleepy so I might just be slap happy.

The reader has some interesting character voices and has kept them strait so that helps keeping my non-FB-experienced brain’s attention .

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. I would have missed out on a great book if it wasn’t for you. Good story so far. Re-addicted to Sigler … OMG … 6’4″, short for a QB? Heee! HOLY smoke! OK … back to the arm-like pedipelts …

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.