This topic contains 21 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Maia W Maia W 6 years, 7 months ago.

Black Mr. Burns

I’m gonna try to pretend that I didn’t read any hints… (la, la la, la la la la)

————
    KnitWitch
    http://www.knitwitchzone.com

impression. Only after we have the clear and unalterable picture in our heads, could The Black Mr. Burns become…BMB or Black Burns.
    But I like the way the long nickname sounds and the way it looks in print.

*** I am Renfield to Sigler’s Dracula ***

one of my friends is called Jeffy. Her actual name is Jeffy, named short after her grandmothers nickname. Birth certificate says Jeffy.. Clear? Ok, we call her Juliet Ephinegiah which was her grandmothers actual name. That’s 6 syllables longer than her actual name. It’s just funnier that way. Black Mr. Burns all the way.
    *~*
    My thoughts this week: Waiting is an essential part of junkie life.
    John Barrowman has amazing teeth and he hugs well good. I love him so much. What a waste.

Bri Bri may be killed, but not on a whim. If he goes down it’ll be in a well scripted conflict with buckets of blood and lots of set up. Or he could take an arrow to the heart. I could see Sigler axing Pookie just to prove a point. Kinda like Joss with the random deaths he inflicts on beloved characters.

BMB is fair game, but pookie has to get busy before he’s iced. He’s got to get him some kids first…

This missive brought to you by SynapticJam – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken

Is saying any one could die in the story at any time including Brian and Pookie (ya Pookie you just can’t say Pookie enough) could die at any second at scott’s smallest whim is a hint. Maybe he only wants us to think Mr Black Burns won’t make it though the next episode. Isn’t his real name John Smith they might kill his clone.

Avatar of Benjamin "The BenT One" Clifford

Our Dark Evil Overlord has thrown us a hint!

By the way, Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It must be me and my friends, then. We love the long nicknames, simply because of the dang-near ritual of the pronunciation. When the empasis is on the meaning of the name, because it’s funny or derogatory, then the long name is acceptable, instead of when the emphasis is on communication, when you shorten your friend’s name because you don’t want to use the word "Maximillian" fifteen times in five minutes. However, as the long nickname becomes a regular thing, you shorten it, and you’ll hear the phrase "Black Burns" and even "BMB" as the book progresses.

Assuming, of course, that Black Mister Burns makes it past Episode #15 …

I have some really good friends whose last name is Blackburn. Thanks to Sigler, everytime I talk to one of them (or worse, introduce one of them) I almost lose it.

You’re evil, Sigler. Just plain evil.

It’s fine as it is…we just need a visual representation…

long name, short name, as long as he has a name who cares

One of the reasons I enjoy Scott’s work is because it punches! His writing dives in and grabs a part of the brain that makes me awestruck, revolted, or just a bit creeped out. (As was his intent.) On the other hand he seemed to stumble a bit while going over the whole BMB back story, and the name just doesn’t flow. Overall, very little impact against the story, and it might not even bother me when reading it.

and the voices concur
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

I like it. There’s a reason why too. In a way, it flies in the face of convention. That’s part of what makes Herr Sigler so damn good. Some of the greats did something just a little bit off from other successful people in their fields. JRR Tolkien, wrote his series breaking most conventional rules for novels, and look at the product.

What differentiates Scott from all the plebe authors out there? Yeah, he’s a psycho with a god complex and he writes like a bitch slap from hell, but what about him makes you “want” to read/listen to his work? Is it the alpha male attitude that exudes from his pores like really bad cologne off of a rotting corpse? Is it his ability to make the gore just leap off the page (out of the speaker) and cover you in fetid entrails? Or is it that he’s just a little bit different. He does things other authors don’t. Like every once in awhile he’ll give a character a ridiculous long name like “Black Mr. Burns” Or he’ll combine space opera, organized crime, and football. I mean, who else would have done that, especially with a surprisingly good message about racial unity and harmony behind it all.

You Go Girl! uh.. I mean You Go Sigler! Keep it up.

For the rest of you. Basically… Who are you to question the great Herr Sigler! You are nothing but a junkie! Nothing! When Sigler takes over the world and he reprograms your little brains, then you’ll understand. For the Sigler’s ways are above yours!

Respectfully yours – Synaptic Jam (on toast)

This missive brought to you by SynapticJam – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken

I like the character as well, the long name just messes with the flow of the text. Really though, it was just a post so I can participate with the rest of the group here.

I agree

not any longer than poopy pants Johnson, bug faced baby eating O’brian, Eric the red,or Kinko the kid loving clown.

it should be black burns. otherwise its to long.

“What do you mean there’s nothing i can do, you mean im hooked on Scott Sigler’s podcast novels… im… a junkie…”- me

I don’t mind it. I hadn’t considered the verbal flow of the nickname. I just really liked the visual image and the associated story that ties him into Pookie Chang. I have this fleeting memory of an anonymous older guy that totally fits this description, so that face keeps popping up in my head in relation to this character, no matter what black Mr. Burns gets called from now on.

————
    KnitWitch
    http://www.knitwitchzone.com

who cares, it’s funny and adds to the over feel of the story

besides the voices find nothing wrong with it*
    It’s all about the Numbers, my friends
    The Math god

You know I thought the same thing, I accually thought it was Black Burns at first. I think that would be ok. I didn’t realize there was a sylibilic rule for nick names but it does seem to exist, it sounds funny that long. or maybe it is the MR. in the middle of it, cause Mr. Black Burns doesn’t sound bad, and it is the same 3 words.

Just listened to episodes 1-4 (I waited until I had 5 on my ipod, #5 is next) and it’s a great start. Very action filled, should be the kind of pacing that plays well as movie.

I had a thought about the Black Mr. Burns though. For a nickname, that is pretty long. Nicknames tend to be short and catchy, so the shorthand for what started out as Black Mr. Burns would probably have contracted to something like BlackBurns, B-Burns, or BMB. A very minor thing indeed, but if you’re using this as a development cycle, maybe worth considering.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.