This topic contains 18 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn Mathis Wrenn 5 years, 11 months ago.

Bad Audio Quality on iTunes & Audible

• Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

noticed any quality problems

The Platypus is a Semi-Aquatic Mammal

"I have much respect for Delhome’s douchbaggery"

-Scott Sigler

Profile photo of George Starcher

You are not wrong in noticing the quality of the audio is lower on itunes and audible.  The reason is that itunes books come from audible.  The reason they are worse on audible than the podcast or cd is that the top audible quality file is recorded at bit rate 32kbps and sample rate 22.050kHz.

Our beloved FDO publishes his podcasts at CD quality.  CD Quality is bit rate 128kbps and sample rate 44.100 kHz.

So there you go.  That is why it sounds compressed/tinny etc from itunes and audible.

Profile photo of Geoff Butterfield

No sweat, thanks for replying so swiftly. That would be great if you could sign it! I’ll buy a book too at the same time if you’re up to signing that too? I’ll leave it up to you to send me special FDO message.

Thanks a million, I’ll e-mail you directly once I have ordered the stuff.

Cheers. 

Profile photo of Ian Bahas

I am the son of an audio dealer in a family of musicians.  I am very sensitive to changes in pitch, even though I can’t control my own when singing for crap. 

-The OSU vs. Michigan game. 800 years of tradition and the rivalry is still strong as ever

Profile photo of dee may

I don’t have one & my daughter sold hers because of it. I have mostly Creative devices.       Don’t Start Nothin’ Won’t Be Nothin’

Profile photo of

Sorry for your troubles, but I totally understand the thing about sensitive ears. I’m not an expert by any means, but after four years of this stuff, I can tell the difference between rigs. For example, I asked Junkies to tell me about the sound of my "road rig," which sounded drastically different to me than my "home rig," but most Junkies couldn’t tell the difference.

Buy the CD from Borderlands (info@borderlands-books.com). They will take care of you and ship it right to you. You can even have me autograph it there if you like.

Hi Guys,

Ok so, I use a Mac (naturally as it is the choice of our FDO) and an iPhone. I have downloaded many files from iTunes and Audible before without any issues. I also suspect it is to do with down sampling. I can notice the difference between the podcasts and this audiobook.  I wouldn’t think it i has anything to do with my iPhone as everything else on it is fine and the same audio difference are obvious on my Mac. Judging by all your theories is sounds to me like they just compressed it to much for my liking! To answer your question Scott the sound is much ‘tinnier’ and nowhere near a rich as your podcasts. I am a video editor by trade and I think that it’s simply a case of I have sensitive ears and I can tell the difference. 

I assume FDO then that I need to purchase a CD? I live in the uk so what’s the best way for me to do that? 

Thanks 

Profile photo of Shirley Bruce

It sounded as though it was a device problem or an earphones problem to me as well!!!!  I was just funning you as you sound just like a scientist!!!!!!  Asking lots of questions is exactly the way to get an answer!!!!!!!  I do have an iPod and hate that you can only sync to one computer at a time.  That means I have to either sync at work or home but not both!

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

Profile photo of dee may

However since he has downloaded files from 2 different places & the files are not playing right tells me it could be his device & not the files themselves. I troubleshoot MP3 players for  my friends & load their players. Alot of them have the F.D.O. on them now. But if he is using an Ipod I can tell you I don’t really fool with them since you can only download from one computer. I think that sucksTongue out so I never recommend anyone that wants me to upload their device to buy one those Don’t Start Nothin’ Won’t Be Nothin’

Profile photo of Wolf

I speak fluent doggie. Almost all breeds, at that! 

WOOF, WOOF

Translated that means Yes, Yes!!!!!!!

"Well. I’ll tell you what. You gonna kick it with me. Or I’m gonna kick you out. What you think of that?" Sister Mary Clarence 

Profile photo of Wolf

"Grease"  

WOOF, WOOF

did you get very far?  Tell me more, tell me more like does he have a car?"  What movie do these words come from? 

But believe me I ain’t starting nothin’ cause I don’t want there to be nothin’.  Smile

But believe me I ain’t starting nothin’ cause I don’t want there to be nothin’.  Smile

Profile photo of

This could be an issue with the format conflicting with your device. I agree, my rigs sound better than the recording quality, however, it still sounds pretty good, so that tells me there could be some kind of conflict. Can you describe the sound quality? Maybe I can figure out the problem. iTunes/Audible may have downsampled the tracks, making them smaller size, and that could mess things up. My podcast version is taken right from the audio CDs, so I don’t know that they would help you.

Profile photo of dee may

What do you have(player)? What O.S.are you using How are the other files on your device playing.Have you ever downloaded files from Audible before?  Don’t Start Nothin’ Won’t Be Nothin’

Profile photo of James Keeling

But the quality seemed fine to me…  Other Junkies can speak up, but I didn’t notice a problem…  Maybe it’s just you. Maybe the dreaded Hutchinnnsssss  had Kilroy write a piece of code to jack up your audio feeds…  Just a thought.

SynapticJam on Toast – hhhmmm… tastes like chicken (aka PUVJK) #3 in crack hits (Special?  Ain’t I just)

S.H.I.T. Award Recipient and all-around uberjunkie! 

Dear FDO and fellow Junkies a grave situaion has come to my attention.

Firstly Scott I wish your wife a swift and complete recovery, mine and my family’s thoughts are with you.

Yesterday I downloaded Contagious from the UK iTunes store. I am currently in rural Italy on holiday and was really excited to get home and start listening to the whole story! However, I was massively disappointed at the sound quality, it is simply awful compared to what we always have from our FDO. Scott, this is not good, you spend so much time making these stories sound great for us and these guys have ruined it! Your mobile rig quality is 10 times better than this! So 24 hours later I have returned to my local internet cafe to download Contagious from Audible. Unfortunately the quality is not much better than that of iTunes. Scott, what can I do? I assume if I buy the audio CD I’ll get full quality? I’m gonna ask for a refund from Apple  & Audible cos it simply aint good enough. Scott it not your fault, I simply expected the quality to be the same as always.

Laters Junkies 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.