This topic contains 30 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Johnson Dave Johnson 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Profile photo of Dave Johnson

or did you end up somewhere random on your way home?

Profile photo of Arioch Morningstar

[flickr-photo:id=3274749401,size=m]

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of J.P.

about 500K a couple years ago. It’ll be interesting to see what the next census reports. Funny thing though, after visiting both ABQ and Tucson, to me ABQ seemed like a much larger city than Tucson, but I think it only has half the population. (I miss good Mexican food.)

I’ve driven through there on my way to Denver. It didn’t seem too small to me. I’d call it a medium size city. What is it, around 200-500K?

GirlCo: Quieter than ninja, faster than Sklorno, stronger than Ki, and more devious than the Quyth

Profile photo of Insignificant Blood Splatter

Only if you count Albuquerque as a big city. Which, technically is 30 minutes away from home… < I’d have said that in an NM accent, but there isn’t really an NM accent.

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

<WV accent> Is that back in the big city? Where they have them there big screens with the IMAX and such? </West Virginia accent>

…..the error is made multiple times within the same post? Gotta get my protocols down Tongue out

Fairly sure I noticed this, and may have commented on it. Know I made some comment that I deleted, but can’t recall what it was. Decided it was reactionary so I axed it.

Lol. I didn’t even notice that until you pointed it out, JP. xD

“Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie.” {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Thanks. Now I just have to figure out how to see it in 3D. May have to take a trip back home to make it to a 3D theater in time, if there is indeed still time to see it… Hurr.

Profile photo of J.P.

and thought it was stunning. Shadygirl and I went in with no agenda or expectations other than mild disbelief that the 3D would be anything better than what we’ve already seen. We left the theater thinking it was phenomenal. Even if you don’t like Sci Fi, or are worried about it being some sort of recycled story, still go see it for the 3D. I’ve never cared about 3D in cinemas before–now I do. There was nothing gimmicky about it and it exceeded my expectations. But back to the complaining (vs. the observations) that it’s just Dances With Wolves in space. It may be but folks who are saying that sort of thing as a criticism need to expand their reading and movie viewing, or admit they just don’t like this kind of story. Most “epic” stories share a very small set of common themes–a hero, a heroine, a quest, and usually in the context of a struggle between good and evil (right and wrong, etc.). Matrix, Braveheart, Rob Roy, Dances With Wolves, and the list goes on. Definitely a very lengthy list in literature. I think there is a small group of folks that just flat out don’t like this movie, Sci Fi in general, or this kind of story. That’s OK, but most of the whining out there really seems to be coming from folks who just don’t want to admit they really liked it. I guess it wouldn’t be cool in their circle of friends. For me, I think this movie did what some of the hype said–it’s changed the game for movie-making.

Oh, Pocahontas in space it may be, but in the Disney (animated) version, Ms. P had significantly larger mommy bags than Neytiri… (grin)

Profile photo of J.P.

no more posting about any movie called “Avater”. Will post my thoughts on Avatar in a minute. Right now I’m laughing too hard.

Profile photo of Mathis Wrenn

Profile photo of Joseph Cartwright

Just alot of good 3-D images and decent story line.

[flickr-photo:id=3718433600,size=m][flickr-photo:id=3725895360,size=m]

Profile photo of Jonathan Cayen

All talking about Avater aside. It should be noted that this forum is favortie TV show.

Poor form.

and yes i am being a dick.

Sidenote

Avatar an okay movie, no great on the story but acting, visual effects and yes directing done well.

A friend of mine said a mark of a good director is taking a script and presenting it in a way so we care about it.

Well that was done.

Now should be the a trilogy

let me think. NO!

Just like District 9 and the matrix the film is fine on its own and does not need a follow up.

Everything must be absolutely, positively 100% politically correct and unassailably virtuous. We find our entertainment in being able to complain. The fact that making a movie that will not offend anyone would also make it so sterile as to be absolutely dull is completely besides the point. That’s what we want. At least right now. However, we do tend to be a fickle culture ;)

Profile photo of Bob Laramee

yup. the media has corrupted everyone now. i never walked out feeling this was a racist movie, but if the news says it is, people will jump right on the bandwagon. if anything i thought the political message was all about conservation of the earth, and even that wasn’t an overwhelming message.

in any case, total agreement on the predictable story and stunning visuals.

Profile photo of Shiraz Zia

Watched it in IMAX 3D… wow, looked amazing, granted the last 3D movie I watched had red/blue cardboard glasses, so I don’t really know how much 3D movies have changed over the years, but Avatar had great visuals the world they build is beautiful and you get totally immersed. The story while nothing new and very predictable was well ‘acted’ and moves at a pretty good pace. It’s 3+ hours long, with the 3D glasses you do walk out a bit dizzy (or at least I did). I’ve heard alot of people ragging on how bad the story is or how it’s racist or other bullshite… I think these are just people who just have to say something bad because it’s doing so well. (that is my opinion but I’m going to stick by it). It isn’t an original story (greed vs. the beauty of nature) but it isn’t horrible, and racist? against what? 8 ft. smurfs with tails?

In the immortal words of Socrates “I Drank What?!”

Profile photo of Rick Renaud

I haven’t seen it yet, but I read today that Avatar is being acusused of having a racist plot. Can’t we just watch a movie and enjoy it?

Transfered Michigander

hmmm…good question.  i guess it depends on the dimensions of the particular imax you attended.  i’d wager it could be either if you went to a bigger imax or a smaller.  the aspect ratio for the standard theater though would probably be consistent across all standard theaters.  imax has some wiggle room in terms of the dimensions at each theater.

Profile photo of Steven Schacknies

IMAX 3D is very much an experience. It adds a layer of realism to an already stunning film. The added audio power also pulls you into the movie. Add those to the fact that our IMAX was packed, and the seats were almost straight up and down, not as comfortable as a regular theatre, and I must say I left the theatre feeling like I’d fought an epic battle with a mech for planetary independence. Beat. Worn out. There was so much going on I had the impression I missed a lot.

2D was nice. Still a stunning, beautiful film, seen the way I am used to watching them. Plus, no glasses worn over my glasses. I’m glad I was able to see it both ways.

I do have a question now. The aspect ratios are different. Was the widescreen image a cropped Imax, loosing picture from the top and bottom, or was Imax a cropped widescreen image, missing info from the sides? I couldn’t tell.

Profile photo of J.P.

It’s playing in the local theater here, in 3D. Anxious, excited…trying not to let any/all hype tarnish me.

MC; CA; UNdead Jester and Love Slave of the UNdead Grave Mother

Profile photo of Travis Vaughan

A remake of "Fern Gully" with awesome CGI. I didn’t hate it though.

I don’t think I’ll be seeing it in theater’s – won’t be too soon and I’ll have to go back to school, where we have no theater – but I’ll find it somewhere. :)

"Urban legends go well with parmesan and horror. In fact their name is conveniently one and the same: Stevie." {UNdead GirlCo Knight for Sigler}

Profile photo of Dave Johnson

After my exam on Tuesday I took the rest of the day off work … I do so like an afternoon of movie and indulgence with the whole cinema to myself

i was tempted to check it out 2-d just to see the difference.  what’s your take on the two perspectives?

Profile photo of Belladonna420

you should see it on the big screen to get the full effect of the cinematography.  The movie is visually stunning.  The plot, as Bob mentioned, offers no surprises, but overall I enjoyed the movie very much.

Pusher & [flickr-photo:id=3938763689,size=m]

Profile photo of Steven Schacknies

Once in IMAX 3D and 3 days later in regular format. Loved it both times. A pure escapist movie-going experience. Beautiful. Moving. Exciting. Worth your time and money.

M. Night Shot-his-wad

imax 3-d.  it was very good to watch, visually.  story was fairly predictable, no surprises.  not that that was a bad thing, just don’t expect to be shocked by the end.  acting was decent with a few cast stand-outs (from the human side at least).  certainly an entertaining film though and worth seeing on a big screen.  hardly flet as long as it actually is, so things moved relatively smoothly along.

Profile photo of Rick Renaud

Not quite sure about it either. Come on junkies, let us know! 

Transfered Michigander

Profile photo of Dave Johnson

But heard bad things about it so haven’t gone yet … anyone feel strongly enough about it to twist my arm into going, or should apathy win the day again?

I’ve heard a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot about this film. I’m not excited to see it at all, but everything I’ve heard has been good. So, I’m turning to my fellow junkies. Who here has seen it and what did you think? Should I bend to everyone’s pressure and go see it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.