This topic contains 31 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Doc Coleman Doc Coleman 4 years, 2 months ago.

Audio or Literature?

Tee Morris and I just started a series of crossover reviews between Bird House Rules and The Nifty Tech Blog. We’re looking at Twitter clients for the iPad. It starts here for Bird House Rules: http://www.imaginethatstudios.com/twitter/2010/08/episode-12-review-of-tweet-flow-with-nifty-tech-blog/, and here for The Nifty Tech Blog: http://www.niftytechblog.com/2010/08/tweet-flow.html. The podcast file is linked from both sites.

Doc

I only know everything if you ask the right questions.

Thanks for sharing!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

The name of my story is “The Gift”. It was podcast as episode 24 of the “Every Photo Tells…” podcast. You can find the audio file here: http://everyphototells.com/2010/07/episode-24-the-gift/.

Doc

Audio is great if I’m doing something else (especially mind-numbing work stuff or driving), but I like to have the dead tree version if I’m relaxing and can concentrate on the book. One exception — I get the FDO’s books and read them as soon as I can get my hands on them, but I LOVE hearing him do all the voices, so I listen to those as well. (And Arioch’s got mad producer skills!)

Course sometimes money is the deciding factor. I love James Marsters reading the Jim Butcher Dresden series, but the paperbacks are one-third the price of the audio books!

Still haven’t gotten a Kindle or other ebook reader. Not sure I want one. I mean, can I take it to the beach or pool and read it in the sunlight — and what if it gets wet while I’m reading in the bathtub?

Why yes, apples. How did you know? [flickr-photo:id=4347154616] Pusher and member of the Gutter Sistren

so many variables to this question, i love listening to the podcast that Scott Sigler puts out as well as several others in the podisphere, during the day when mowing the lawn at home or cleaning carpets at work (where the women love me, for sucking rug that is) there is nothing better than going on auto-pilot and stroking with the wand from bedroom to bedroom, dragging hose through a kitchen and a living room while listening to some ancestor, crypt and infected. When getting sleepy the book is the only way to go, it is easier to pick up where you left off since the pages double as a sun shade when placed on your face…

sorry… just meandering and thought i’d toss in my two bits

for when you are doing something, walking working driving. But nothing can come close to holding a book and reading it

Wolfpack quarterback…..Richno3…….out

so whats the name of this masterpiece… I’d love to check it out!

Thats alright… I still have my guitar.

For obvious reasons

Drop your socks and grab your… Copy of Ancestor! Owner of the Isis Ice Storm [flickr-photo:id=4779220092,size=m] Puller of strings

Although for me it was the shift in emphasis in a simple sentance that surprised me.

Doc

Yeah, I have to agree.

It is kinda strange to hear your story read out by someone else. In your head you have an idea how the characters sound, then when someone else reads it they have their take on it.

Still, It was good to have my story podcasted!

And suddenly in my brain this is NOT rated G… and is no longer an audio podcast. And Apple refuses to list it.

Don’t search for it at work. It might just exist!

Doc

All-time fave Seuss story!

The Pure Essence of Randomness, Captain of the Touchback, One-Time Pusher and Proud member of the Gutter Sistren

I like audio because I can put CD in car and Drive or put one ear bud in and walk and consume a podiobook but I liked OTR before I loved podcasts.

Print is good to just not so much when multi tasking

… is that even though I knew about this as a reader, it still caught me by surprise when I submitted a story and it ended up on the podcast read by someone else.

Doc

No? Too bad.

Doc

I absolutely couldnt agree more Doc, I find the contrast from one reader to the other facinating.

Thats alright… I still have my guitar.

my last dozen books, not counting Ancestor, have been audiobooks

The audio is a life saver when you’re testing software 10 hours a day!

I love to read the printed word but unfortunately most of the printed stuff I read is either technical crap for work or Dr. Suess. I have two children under 5.

For me, the story is the thing. When you read the book, you’re putting your interpretation on the author’s words. Performing the play in the theatre of your mind, as it were. When you listen to the podcast/podiobook, you get the author’s take on the story. Even if the words are all the same and there is no production or voices used, there is a difference in how the story is read and where the emphasis is. I find these differences to be very interesting and comparing the two brings me new insights into the story.

Doc

to me audio is king, from the time man could speak hes been telling stoties (and lying some), and being told a story by the author, in the way that the author intends the story to be told i find works best for me. audio 1st books 2nd

raggedy or not.

But it doesn’t matter so long as they are the works of the FDO.

Do you make cd’s of the audiobooks? If so, where do you get the covers?

that were never published as hardcover. But that the only case where i like raggedy old paperbacks over audio. usually PB is 3rd choice, HB always 1st

exeption: explicit Rookie audio with effects ties or surpasses YA hardcover

then surely paperback will be next on the list as it is a physical copy?

But I’m biased, I had my iPod surgically grafted to my left forearm.

Still, it’s important to support the Sigler Ascension, so I also buy the dead tree versions, generally for lending purposes.

- It’s all fun and games until you lose an eye. Then it’s fun and games you can’t see.

1. Hardcover

2. Audio

3. Paperback (they don’t look good on the bookshelf. I usually give em away)

4. Digital Print

I should have known better than to ask… :P

Zee keendell .. she is a more better to wipe off. In case of ummmm zee accidents.

Drop your socks and grab your… Copy of Ancestor! Owner of the Isis Ice Storm [flickr-photo:id=4779220092,size=m] Puller of strings

Do you poop in the dark, or something?

All three work for me.

Nothing like a long reading night in my favorite chair with the dead tree version

Nothing like an audio book to pass away the miles

Nothing like a Kindle to help me get through the poop session

I’ve been able to feel better about my long commute since I started listening to audiobooks. But I still like to hold a book in my hands.

You might also consider e-readers; how do you feel about Kindle?

Gutter Sistren whipping boy, innoventor of words, Life Coach to the Damned.

I adore books.

So I’ve been hearing a lot of different opinions from people who read books and people who listen to books. I personally do a little of both (o.k. a lot of both) and just wondered where you stand?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.